Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Underground
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-03-2005, 09:54 PM   #1591
joeblow17

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow17
This is what I came up with

to load the image mfsrestore -s 192 -xzpi /cdrom/000001 /dev/hd?

then

tpip --swapped -s /dev/hd?

reboot run zipper skip image and cont...

It shows my swap is now 192 off to test
Still has the same issue there must be more to it. Oh well back to researching the issue.
joeblow17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 09:56 PM   #1592
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

Joe sorry I'm no help to ya. My biggest HD in a tivo is 160 GB.
Old 12-03-2005, 10:44 PM   #1593
joeblow17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnyman
Joe sorry I'm no help to ya. My biggest HD in a tivo is 160 GB.

No problem I knew I should have just bought a new 250 gb for $69 w/rebates instead of the 300gb for $89 w/rebates it was just too temping....Thanks tigerdirect

Anyway anyone have any ideas I am up for it. DD has some thoughts about using mfsadd with a -3 or -4 switch to change chumk size not real sure about that though.
Old 12-03-2005, 11:37 PM   #1594
joeblow17

I got it working!!

OK I got my 300gb drive working here is my short how to after a whole day of research and trial and error. (My example is with the hdd on secondary master and cdrom as secondary slave)

For Hard drives larger than 250gb
1. boot up ptvupgrade lba48 4.01 w/enhancements
2. replace w/ zipper tools CD you created
3 mount /dev/hdd /cdrom
4. cd cdrom <enter>
5. mfsrestore -s 127 -bzpi /cdrom/000001 /dev/hdc
6. mfsadd -r 4 -x /dev/hdc
7. reboot
8. repeat steps 1 -4
9. sh zipper.sh
10. power off remove drive place in TIVO and boot up
11. telnet to tivo 192.168.x.x
12. cd /
13. cd hacks
14. sh tweak.sh
15. choose the enhancements you want
16. reboot

One other thing it reports I now have 285 hours maybe a little less than I thought but the good news is it works and it can be done!!

Last edited by joeblow17 : 12-03-2005 at 11:40 PM. Reason: typo
Old 12-04-2005, 12:54 AM   #1595
goodtimes001

No USB

I ran the zipper using a 6.2 kernel from PTV Upgrade on a fresh drive (80gb). I had the error 54 issue, but this was fixed by clearing everything. Here's the problem: the USB ports do not seem to be active at all.

When I plug my USB adaptor into either port, I get no power light. I've tried having the adapter plugged in at boot and plugging it in after bootup, but I've never gotten the power light to come on. The adapter is fine on my laptop.

Obviously I can't run the enhancement scripts without being able to telnet. Is there any way to pull the drive again and run the enhancement scripts on my PC or fire up the USB ports through some other technique?

Thanks for any help you can give.
goodtimes001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 12:55 AM   #1596
goodtimes001

more........

One more thing: my tivo is a Hughes HDVR2. Thanks.
Old 12-04-2005, 12:59 AM   #1597
joeblow17

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodtimes001
I ran the zipper using a 6.2 kernel from PTV Upgrade on a fresh drive (80gb). I had the error 54 issue, but this was fixed by clearing everything. Here's the problem: the USB ports do not seem to be active at all.

When I plug my USB adaptor into either port, I get no power light. I've tried having the adapter plugged in at boot and plugging it in after bootup, but I've never gotten the power light to come on. The adapter is fine on my laptop.

Obviously I can't run the enhancement scripts without being able to telnet. Is there any way to pull the drive again and run the enhancement scripts on my PC or fire up the USB ports through some other technique?

What brand and model of USB ethernet adapter are you using? I reccomend the Netgear FA120 you can find it for $12.99 on ebay under buy now I saw today w/ free shipping. The Linksys USB200M works if it is v1 if it is a v2 it is not as easy it requires a lot of work which probably isn't worth it.
Old 12-04-2005, 01:08 AM   #1598
goodtimes001

Quote:
What brand and model of USB ethernet adapter are you using? I reccomend the Netgear FA120 you can find it for $12.99 on ebay under buy now I saw today w/ free shipping. The Linksys USB200M works if it is v1 if it is a v2 it is not as easy it requires a lot of work which probably isn't worth it.
I'm using an Airlink USB 2.0 adapter. Even if there are driver issues, wouldn't the power light come on?
Old 12-04-2005, 01:29 AM   #1599
joeblow17

Quote:
I'm using an Airlink USB 2.0 adapter. Even if there are driver issues, wouldn't the power light come on?
No the power light will not come on I had a Linksys USB 200M v2 and it did the same thing. I took it back got a Netgear FA120 plugged it in and I was good to go. Tivo only works with certain adapters. I am unsure of the Airlink, but I can say I have never seen it in the reccomended adapters when I was searching for ones to get.
Old 12-04-2005, 03:50 AM   #1600
KrazyKevin

You could connect to your tivo with a serial cable and run the enhancements scripts that away. Thats what I had to do.
KrazyKevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 06:20 AM   #1601
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

Quote:
OK I got my 300gb drive working here is my short how to after a whole day of research and trial and error. (My example is with the hdd on secondary master and cdrom as secondary slave)

3 mount /dev/hdd /cdrom
4. cd cdrom <enter>
7. reboot
8. repeat steps 1 -4
9. sh zipper.sh
12. cd /
13. cd hacks
14. sh tweak.sh
16. reboot

One other thing it reports I now have 285 hours maybe a little less than I thought but the good news is it works and it can be done!!
What is the signifigance of step 6 and mfsadd?
Old 12-04-2005, 06:22 AM   #1602
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

Quote:

After the enhance script is run, teh airnet SHOULD work fine.
Use aserial cable like kevin suggests.
Old 12-04-2005, 09:15 AM   #1603
Ocelot

dial in number

Hi All,

things have been working great with the zipper but one thing. I've kept the phone line connected for CID and PPV. No matter what I try, I can't get the thing to sett a phone number for PPV dialing. I've tried the setup, removing dialing prefixes, and set area code. it dials and all I get is failed while negotiating.
Is this because the 6.2 image had a pre-set number that is no good?
is there a way to manually set a good number via ftp?
I can't connect to get a local number.

The modem is working and since CID works, the line is good.
Ocelot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 09:33 AM   #1604
slydog75
Not all that sly

Ocelot, part of the zipper prevents the tivo from being able to phone home. If you look in your rc.sysinit.author file you will see two lines that start with 'route " and then some IP addresses.. If you temporarily comment them out you'll be able to complete the call, but you should immediately put them back in so that you don't run the chance of the Tivo trying to get any software changes. BTW, i'm not sure if it's even neccesary to do this, but I did it myself just to be on the safe side with PPV ordering.

edit: See this disscussion for more information:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...route+commands
slydog75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 09:47 AM   #1605
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocelot
Hi All,

things have been working great with the zipper but one thing. I've kept the phone line connected for CID and PPV. No matter what I try, I can't get the thing to sett a phone number for PPV dialing. I've tried the setup, removing dialing prefixes, and set area code. it dials and all I get is failed while negotiating.
Is this because the 6.2 image had a pre-set number that is no good?
is there a way to manually set a good number via ftp?
I can't connect to get a local number.

The modem is working and since CID works, the line is good.
ppv call is separate from tivo calls and the route commands shouldn't effect them.
There is no way to change the PPV phone number that I'm aware of, it's a hard coded 800 number.
Old 12-04-2005, 09:53 AM   #1606
slydog75
Not all that sly

Gunny, the only thing I was worried about is that with the image I got from Instantcake, there was a ,# in the prefix to be dialed. Now it seems to me that the Tivo would HAVE to use that prefix regardless of whether it's trying to call the hard coded 800 number or not since, if I needed to dial a 9 to make a sucessfull call, it would need to use that prefix to call the 800 number. And the only way to change that prefix or erase it is to complete a successful test call.
slydog75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 10:06 AM   #1607
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

good point
letting the unit dial in one time MIGHT be needed to facilitate the DTV call.
Old 12-04-2005, 10:24 AM   #1608
mskreis

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnemec123
Gunnyman,
Here's the contents of my root file under /var/spool/cron/crontabs.

Is this correct? I'm concerned that the fakecall.tcl isn't being run.

Oh, and it appears from the TWP Hackman page that the crond is not running. Is it supposed be running all the time, or is it started by another process when needed?

Thanks!
Dale

Bedroom-TiVo# cd /var/spool/cron
Bedroom-TiVo# ls
crontabs
Bedroom-TiVo# cd crontabs/
Bedroom-TiVo# ls
root
Bedroom-TiVo# cat root
0 4 * * * fakecall.tcl

# Make a backup of season passes and wishlists every Sunday night at 3:30am CST
31 9 * * 1 cd /var/hack/tivowebplus; sh backup_run.sh; echo `date` season pass b
ackup made >> /var/spool/cron/cronlogs/CRONLOG-MAIN

# Delete season pass backups every month to save on space
29 9 1 * * rm -r /seasonpass_backups

# End of crontab
Bedroom-TiVo#
This also happened to me. I just used the Zipper without any obvious glitch, and it did not appear that fakecall was running. The problem was that crond was not running.

Unfortunately my phone has been connected all week - any harm done?
mskreis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 10:27 AM   #1609
joeblow17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnyman
What is the signifigance of step 6 and mfsadd?
I found this from JamieP:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...&&#post2651665

and he led me to give it a try which was the key to stopping my GSOD loop.
Old 12-04-2005, 10:32 AM   #1610
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

great. Thanks for the tip
Old 12-04-2005, 10:33 AM   #1611
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

Quote:
Originally Posted by mskreis
This also happened to me. I just used the Zipper without any obvious glitch, and it did not appear that fakecall was running. The problem was that crond was not running.

Unfortunately my phone has been connected all week - any harm done?
probably not, but look in your enhancements directory for the cert removal script and run it and reboot just in case.
Old 12-04-2005, 10:37 AM   #1612
rbautch
User

Quote:

3 mount /dev/hdd /cdrom
4. cd cdrom <enter>
7. reboot
8. repeat steps 1 -4
9. sh zipper.sh
12. cd /
13. cd hacks
14. sh tweak.sh
16. reboot

Step 5 is exactly what the Zipper does, except you substituted the -bzpi for -xzpi switch. The Zipper uses the -x switch, which means "expand to allocate additional storage", which obviates the need for mfsadd. The -b switch you used disables auto-detection of byteswapping, which is only necessary when you use Version 1 of MFS tools. The bottom line is that if you follow the Zipper directions to the letter, it SHOULD work for any size drive,and you do not need to follow the manual restore/mfsadd directions in this post. I won't discount some anomaly of large drives just yet, since I haven't tested it personally, but I highly doubt it's a swap partition issue or if it has anything whatsover to do with mfsadd. You might notice a slight decrease in performance, but I doubt it would cause to tivo not to boot.

Gunny, BTW the -r switch on mfsadd sets the size of "allocation units" used to store recordings. Smaller allocation units increases the efficiency of storage because less wasted space will result when recordings do not completely fill an allocation unit. But, because more allocation units are used to store a given recording, the tivo uses more memory to track all those smaller allocation units. 4 is the largest memory allocation size and corresponds to a 16MB allocation size. The default size of 0, which is equivalent to 1MB allocation units, may be too low for drives over 250GB. If someone else can confirm that, I may bump it up to 1 or 2 in the mfsrestore command to bring it up to a happy medium for all size drives. I'll do some testing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by rbautch : 12-04-2005 at 10:57 AM.
rbautch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 11:00 AM   #1613
JamieP

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbautch
Gunny, BTW the -r switch on mfsadd sets the size of "allocation units" used to store recordings. Smaller allocation units increases the efficiency of storage because less wasted space will result when recordings do not completely fill an allocation unit. But, because more allocation units are used to store a given recording, the tivo uses more memory to track all those smaller allocation units. 4 is the largest memory allocation size and corresponds to a 16MB allocation size. The default size of 0, which is equivalent to 1MB allocation units, may be too low for drives over 250GB. If someone else can confirm that, I may bump it up to 1 or 2 in the mfsrestore command to bring it up to a happy medium for all size drives.
There is a known issue with mfstools 2.0 that prevents it from correctly formatting MFS partitions larger than 274GB with the default allocation unit (-r 2, not 0). Thus the recommendation that people use -r 3 or -r 4 with mfsadd/mfsrestore for large disks. Normally this doesn't click in unless you have a 320GB driver or larger. I suppose it can happen with a 300GB drive if you are starting with a "minimal" (1GB) mfs image. (300 - 40 == 260 OK; 300 - 1 = 299 NOT-OK) Here's my original conjecture about it, and it's now been confirmed many times. It's in the weaknees guide, but I don't think Hinsdale has picked up on it.

There's also the swap issue. The lore/rule of thumb seems to be that you want 1MB of swap for each 2GB of disk in order to make it through a GSOD, should one ever happen to you. Since mfstools 2.0 can't properly initialize swap >127MB, people use mkswap (I posted a version that supports -S on DDB) or tpip for that. You have to be a little careful with tpip to get the byte order right in the swap header. It's got a bug and has things backwards for the series 2's, so you lie to it on the command line. Details on the tpip bug here. Might be nice if someone could verify that swap >127MB really is necessary to get through a GSOD on large disks expanded with -r 4.

Last edited by JamieP : 12-04-2005 at 11:06 AM.
JamieP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 11:19 AM   #1614
rbautch
User

Thanks Jamie. Since a block allocation size of "3" or "4" is appropriate for larger drives, obviously those settings will be less efficient for smaller drives. but how much less? I'm wondering if there's a setting that can be used universally as a good balance for both small and large drives. If not, I may investigate a zipper mod to pipe the standard output of mfsrestore to grep to detect the drive size, and then run an mfsadd command with the large allocation units if it detects anything over 250Gig (or recording hours).

or

Old 12-04-2005, 11:34 AM   #1615
joeblow17

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieP
There is a known issue with mfstools 2.0 that prevents it from correctly formatting MFS partitions larger than 274GB with the default allocation unit (-r 2, not 0). Thus the recommendation that people use -r 3 or -r 4 with mfsadd/mfsrestore for large disks. Normally this doesn't click in unless you have a 320GB driver or larger. I suppose it can happen with a 300GB drive if you are starting with a "minimal" (1GB) mfs image. (300 - 40 == 260 OK; 300 - 1 = 299 NOT-OK) Here's my original conjecture about it, and it's now been confirmed many times. It's in the weaknees guide, but I don't think Hinsdale has picked up on it.

There's also the swap issue. The lore/rule of thumb seems to be that you want 1MB of swap for each 2GB of disk in order to make it through a GSOD, should one ever happen to you. Since mfstools 2.0 can't properly initialize swap >127MB, people use mkswap (I posted a version that supports -S on DDB) or tpip for that. You have to be a little careful with tpip to get the byte order right in the swap header. It's got a bug and has things backwards for the series 2's, so you lie to it on the command line. Details on the tpip bug here. Might be nice if someone could verify that swap >127MB really is necessary to get through a GSOD on large disks expanded with -r 4.

Maybe mfstools 3.0 will be a fixall for drives larger than 274gb, but unti then my previous instructions worked like a charm for anyone else having the same problem.

Jamie thanks again your advice was the only advice that worked for me.!!
Old 12-04-2005, 11:43 AM   #1616
JamieP

Quote:
Thanks Jamie. Since a block allocation size of "3" or "4" is appropriate for larger drives, obviously those settings will be less efficient for smaller drives. but how much less? I'm wondering if there's a setting that can be used universally as a good balance for both small and large drives. If not, I may investigate a zipper mod to pipe the standard output of mfsrestore to grep to detect the drive size, and then run an mfsadd command with the large allocation units if it detects anything over 250Gig (or recording hours).
As far as I know, the only downside to a larger allocation unit is lost space due to internal fragmentation. Basically, with a 16MB minimum allocation size, each recording might be overallocated by up to 16MB (perhaps 8MB on average). So, with 200 recordings, you might be wasting 1.6-3.2GB of space on internal fragmentation. On an old low capacity tivo (what was the original Series 1 capacity? 10 hours?), that might matter. With modern large disks, I don't see a problem with a larger allocation unit. Anybody know what a stock tivo 250GB drive uses, e.g. from an HDTivo?

You might look around in /proc (/proc/ide/hdX/capacity?) if you want to determine the drive size.

Last edited by JamieP : 12-04-2005 at 11:54 AM.
JamieP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 11:55 AM   #1617
rbautch
User

Quote:
Maybe mfstools 3.0 will be a fixall for drives larger than 274gb, but unti then my previous instructions worked like a charm for anyone else having the same problem.

Jamie thanks again your advice was the only advice that worked for me.!!
To confirm that the block allocation size was the culprit, could you try it again with your exact procedure, but with -r 0?

or

Old 12-04-2005, 01:34 PM   #1618
msu72

Need Help. I successfully upgraded two dtivos about 6 months ago. I am now attempting to upgrade a DSR7000. I have upgraded my PC (64Bit Athlon) in the meantime. Now when I attempt to boot into MFS tools I get an error that says "Kernel panic" "attempted to kill init" and then it hangs up. This is with the latest lba48 4.0 with enhancements from PTVUpgrade. (Does the same thing with the previous version that I used. I can successfully boot into the non big drive version if I use the nodma option, but then I only get 137 GB.
Any suggestions.
Old 12-04-2005, 02:32 PM   #1619
joeblow17

Quote:
To confirm that the block allocation size was the culprit, could you try it again with your exact procedure, but with -r 0?
If I have time today I can give that a shot. I would guess that had to be it, but I am willing to test if time permits. Who knew hacking a TIVO would be such a learning experience. I was such a Windows guy until I started supporting a few Macs then got a TIVO now I would rather play with anything but the Windows box...LOL

Last edited by joeblow17 : 12-04-2005 at 02:48 PM. Reason: typo
Old 12-04-2005, 02:48 PM   #1620
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

Quote:
Originally Posted by msu72
Need Help. I successfully upgraded two dtivos about 6 months ago. I am now attempting to upgrade a DSR7000. I have upgraded my PC (64Bit Athlon) in the meantime. Now when I attempt to boot into MFS tools I get an error that says "Kernel panic" "attempted to kill init" and then it hangs up. This is with the latest lba48 4.0 with enhancements from PTVUpgrade. (Does the same thing with the previous version that I used. I can successfully boot into the non big drive version if I use the nodma option, but then I only get 137 GB.
Any suggestions.
I know nothing about 64 bit amd so this is a shot in teh dark, is there a setting in the bios for better 32 bit compatibility?