Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Underground
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-03-2005, 12:11 AM   #1561
rbautch
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow17
OK last week I was having problems with my 160gb drive I upgraded via slices from 4.0x to 6.2 it ended up that the hard drive was the problem it crashed shortly after I reimaged. So I bought a 300gb Seagate and ran the zipper. It seemed to be fine, but when I put it back in my TIVO it just reboots after a few minutes after going to the DIRECTV logo. Then a green screen pops up saying there is a critical error and to leave it on for up to 3 hours to repair itself but less than a minute or two later it reoots again. I tried reimaging twice same proble...Any ideas???
Where did you get your image?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

rbautch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 12:14 AM   #1562
rbautch
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by adoubler
I looked for hacks directory but don't have one. I have a hack directory but it only has telnet in it. I see the zipper files in enhancments directory. I can not find tweak_uninstall.sh anywhere. Like I said tivowebplus is only thing I have never got to work. I really do appreciate all your hard work on the zipper and know I must have screwed this up somehow. Rick
Manually delete your enhancements directory, restore your author file, download the latest script from the link in my sig, then run it. Or, pull the drive, and re-run the Zipper.

or

Old 12-03-2005, 12:55 AM   #1563
dillan

Hey There- I have been spending the last 8 1/2 hours searching the forums high and low for a solution but I can't seem to get a telnet session going. I sucessfully ran the Zipper Script EXACTALLY how the directions are written. When I put the hard drive back in the Tivo it boots up after awhile but I can't seem to establish a telnet session. I have tried from both my Windows Machine and my Linux machine but neither connects. I have checked the connections and all status lights indicate correct operation. I assigned an IP address of 192.168.1.90 on my Linksys Network. I am using the Linksys USB200M Ver. 1 as my network adapter on the Tivo. Also I am not able to ping the Tivo. (I was able to ping and it worked fine with Sleepers Script)

I have also attempted using a Serial Cable connection and HyperTerminal. All I got from that was a bunch of gibberish while the Tivo was starting up. HyperTerminal was setup COM6, 2400 bps, 8 Data Bits, Parity None, Stop Bits 1, and flow control none.

Still no Bash

Any Ideas?
dillan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 02:40 AM   #1564
bengalfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnyman
edit: never got megga dittos before Thanks!
Off topic:That's not exactly something to be proud of.
Old 12-03-2005, 04:13 AM   #1565
DLiquid
Progressive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dillan
Hey There- I have been spending the last 8 1/2 hours searching the forums high and low for a solution but I can't seem to get a telnet session going. I sucessfully ran the Zipper Script EXACTALLY how the directions are written. When I put the hard drive back in the Tivo it boots up after awhile but I can't seem to establish a telnet session.
Earlier the same thing happened to me. My problem was that before the script was run, if I powered on the TiVo with it connected to the network the TiVo was getting its IP Address from my router. This is even though Zipper asks for a static IP and DHCP is supposed to be off. I had to power on the TiVo with the network adapter unplugged, then connect the network adapter after bootup. Then it got the static IP, and I could telnet to it. After running the tweak script, it's had the static IP every time I boot whether the network adapter is connected or not.

This may have nothing to do with your problem, but I thought I'd mention it.
DLiquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 09:30 AM   #1566
dillan

DLiquid you are my new best friend. Everything seems to be working great!
Old 12-03-2005, 10:35 AM   #1567
rbautch
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLiquid
Earlier the same thing happened to me. My problem was that before the script was run, if I powered on the TiVo with it connected to the network the TiVo was getting its IP Address from my router. This is even though Zipper asks for a static IP and DHCP is supposed to be off. I had to power on the TiVo with the network adapter unplugged, then connect the network adapter after bootup. Then it got the static IP, and I could telnet to it. After running the tweak script, it's had the static IP every time I boot whether the network adapter is connected or not.

This may have nothing to do with your problem, but I thought I'd mention it.
The directions say to power up your tivo, but before trying to telnet you have to reboot after runnning guided setup. This makes the network settings set by the Zipper stick in MFS. The MFS settings that disable DHCP override anything else on the tivo before, including dhclient. I suspect that it may have been coincidence that you unplugged the adapter, then rebooted - which applied the correct network settings, then it worked. Confirm this if you're able.

or

Old 12-03-2005, 11:00 AM   #1568
bengalfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbautch
The directions say to power up your tivo, but before trying to telnet you have to reboot after runnning guided setup. This makes the network settings set by the Zipper stick in MFS. The MFS settings that disable DHCP override anything else on the tivo before, including dhclient. I suspect that it may have been coincidence that you unplugged the adapter, then rebooted - which applied the correct network settings, then it worked. Confirm this if you're able.
Mine would not work until I used the upper USB port. I thought I was having the same problem as Dliquid but I unplugged the F120 from the lower port and placed it the upper one and it worked. This was after the reboot following guided setup.

Oh, and just so you know, I used the 62small image with the zipper and no error 51 again.
Old 12-03-2005, 11:22 AM   #1569
curbside

I have a Hughes SD-DVR40 that died on me, so I was going to try my hand at configuring a hard drive and using zipper on it. The hard drive I want to use is a 180 gig from an old PC of mine. Do I need to reformat it in linux or anything or can I just connect it to my XP PC and go from there. I've made all the CDs that are required (boot, tools, instantcake...)

Thanks guys!
curbside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 11:24 AM   #1570
joeblow17

Quote:
Where did you get your image?
I used 6.2._tivo_minimal_AlphaWolf_HK.zip and it has worked on several other machines I have used. This is the first 300gb hard drive I had tried. Previously it has worked flawlessly on drives up to 250gb.
joeblow17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 11:47 AM   #1571
richardrusse11

quick question..

I saw your "zipper" and would like to upgrade my dtivo, but my only question is how does it get programming info after the upgrade? Most of the posts say to disconnect the phone line to keep from getting "unhacked". How does the unit keep getting new program schedules?

Thanks,

Richard
richardrusse11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 11:51 AM   #1572
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

the dish
same as it did before
Old 12-03-2005, 11:52 AM   #1573
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

Quote:
Originally Posted by curbside
I have a Hughes SD-DVR40 that died on me, so I was going to try my hand at configuring a hard drive and using zipper on it. The hard drive I want to use is a 180 gig from an old PC of mine. Do I need to reformat it in linux or anything or can I just connect it to my XP PC and go from there. I've made all the CDs that are required (boot, tools, instantcake...)

Thanks guys!
The bootcd and instantcake take care of any formatting you will need.
Old 12-03-2005, 12:19 PM   #1574
curbside

Thanks! I'll give it a try today.

-------------
The bootcd and instantcake take care of any formatting you will need.
curbside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 12:52 PM   #1575
rbautch
User

Quote:
I used 6.2._tivo_minimal_AlphaWolf_HK.zip and it has worked on several other machines I have used. This is the first 300gb hard drive I had tried. Previously it has worked flawlessly on drives up to 250gb.
Try it on a different drive first. If no dice, burn your tools disk again, in joliet mode. Make sure it's not iso9660 mode.

or

Old 12-03-2005, 01:18 PM   #1576
Tracy RainH2o
Photo Man

If I use The Zipper , do I have to have the wireless adapter at the same time?

I do not have a USB Wireless Adapter to use right now. Locally they are around $50 but Tiger Direct has them for $20. I would rather order them but I find myself with some free time today, and the itch to Zip.
Tracy RainH2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 01:23 PM   #1577
rbautch
User

Don't need it now, but obviously you can't run the enhancement script until you do. Make sure to get a compatible adapter, the only place I've found them is on Ebay. Most newer adapters wont work. Search this thread for "wireless adapter".

or

Old 12-03-2005, 01:43 PM   #1578
joeblow17

Quote:
Try it on a different drive first. If no dice, burn your tools disk again, in joliet mode. Make sure it's not iso9660 mode.
Thanks I will give it a try a little later on I was worried that the swap file might be a problem possibly. But I will definitely give it a shot because when I was mounting my cdrom I was typing mount -t iso9660 /dev/hdb /cdrom so possibly that is the problem. I burned the CD using Creator Classic but not sure what mode I did it in.

Thanks for the feedback I will let you know how it goes.
Old 12-03-2005, 06:35 PM   #1579
jrisberg
Geek

Minor fix for TivoWebPlus in Zipper Distribution

After researching a TivoWebPlus error message I found a pointer to a fix for it that you can easily apply to TivoWebPlus' index.itcl. The fix is related to a Tivo version check and documented on That Other Site.

The fix seems to have already been applied to index.itcl in the Zipper's distribution of TivoWebPlus, but apparently using a DOS editor that resulted in the dreaded ^M characters at the end of the six edited lines. Once I removed them the error went away.

I'm not sure if this problem is only in the Zipper's distribution or if it's actually just a repackaging of a standard TivoWebPlus distribution that needs fixing. If it's the latter I apologize to the Zipperfolks, but I thought I'd pass it on.

Thanks,
Joel Risberg

jrisberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 07:05 PM   #1580
joeblow17

Quote:
Thanks I will give it a try a little later on I was worried that the swap file might be a problem possibly. But I will definitely give it a shot because when I was mounting my cdrom I was typing mount -t iso9660 /dev/hdb /cdrom so possibly that is the problem. I burned the CD using Creator Classic but not sure what mode I did it in.

Thanks for the feedback I will let you know how it goes.
OK here is the report...I am still having the same problem after trying Joliet. I was able to put the same image and zipper on 2other drives tonight that were 250gb or less. Does this have anything to do with a single 300gb hdd or have others had success with this?
Old 12-03-2005, 07:14 PM   #1581
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

I think 300 GB is pushing the limit on the 127 MB swap file.
Now it's time to research increasing the swap and "tpip".
I've never used tpip myself so I'm useless.
Old 12-03-2005, 07:47 PM   #1582
joeblow17

Quote:
I think 300 GB is pushing the limit on the 127 MB swap file.
Now it's time to research increasing the swap and "tpip".
I've never used tpip myself so I'm useless.
OK in the script it says mfsrestore -s 127 -xzpi /cdrom/000001 /dev/hd$location and since 300gb hits the limit I am going to try to manually use mfsrestore -s 150 -xzpi /cdrom/000001 /dev/hd$location see how that works...

I will report back with results
Old 12-03-2005, 07:48 PM   #1583
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

it won't
you need to look into tpip
Old 12-03-2005, 08:03 PM   #1584
dillan

Quote:
Comming back to this I actually did try rebooting the tivo a few times still without telnet. I rebooted the tivo after the setup by doing the three thumbs down thing a few times then out of frustration I pulled the plug, posted my problem and went to sleep. In the morning I woke up and read DLiquids response and gave it a try. So magically it's working perfectly now. I have no idea what was going on but DLiquids advice worked.

A big thank you is due to everyone who worked on the zipper, and to DLiquid for the suggestion!
Old 12-03-2005, 08:19 PM   #1585
joeblow17

Quote:
it won't
you need to look into tpip
Yeah before I tried I did some research and tpip or something is needed I am checking ************, ptvupgrade, and the other usual locations. Some mention Todd Miller's patched kernel, but I am still researching any help would be appreciated!!
Old 12-03-2005, 08:53 PM   #1586
Tracy RainH2o
Photo Man

I may have missed it somewhere in the previous 1586 replies. What a MONSTER thread.

How does MFS Tools work when using The Zipper? I want to save all the shows that I currently have on my Tivo.
Tracy RainH2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 09:41 PM   #1587
joeblow17

Quote:
Yeah before I tried I did some research and tpip or something is needed I am checking ************, ptvupgrade, and the other usual locations. Some mention Todd Miller's patched kernel, but I am still researching any help would be appreciated!!
This is what I came up with

to load the image mfsrestore -s 192 -xzpi /cdrom/000001 /dev/hd?

then

tpip --swapped -s /dev/hd?

reboot run zipper skip image and cont...

It shows my swap is now 192 off to test
Old 12-03-2005, 09:42 PM   #1588
alert5

In appreciation for Gunnyman's extraordinary efforts, I've donated a modest sum to one of his favorite nonprofit charities..."The Electronic Frontier Foundation".

Gunny epitomizes what the EFF slogan says.

Electronic Frontier Foundation: Because being able to share ideas and information is the reason the Web was created in the first place!

Others inclined to donate can check out what "EFF" is all about here: http://www.eff.org/

221 Hour HDVR2
221 Hour S4040R
Enhanced capability provided by "The Zipper"
alert5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 09:48 PM   #1589
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracy RainH2o
I may have missed it somewhere in the previous 1586 replies. What a MONSTER thread.

How does MFS Tools work when using The Zipper? I want to save all the shows that I currently have on my Tivo.
you won't use mfsrestore on a tivo already running 6.2. You shows are un harmed.
Old 12-03-2005, 09:49 PM   #1590
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

Quote:
Originally Posted by alert5
In appreciation for Gunnyman's extraordinary efforts, I've donated a modest sum to one of his favorite nonprofit charities..."The Electronic Frontier Foundation".

Gunny epitomizes what the EFF slogan says.

Electronic Frontier Foundation: Because being able to share ideas and information is the reason the Web was created in the first place!

Others inclined to donate can check out what "EFF" is all about here: http://www.eff.org/

221 Hour HDVR2
221 Hour S4040R
Enhanced capability provided by "The Zipper"

Very nice compliment there alert5!
I'm blushing here.