Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Underground
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-01-2005, 06:32 AM   #1471
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugs99
Thanks again but I'm still unclear as to how to upgrade the HDVR2 so I can take advantage of the full 160GB.

Will this work?
1- install old HDVR2 HD (6.2 image w/zipper) inside my PC
2- install new HDVR2 HD (160GB w/zipper) inside my PC
3- startup with LBA48 Boot CD from PTVupgrade
4- backup original HD using MFSTools to PC
5- restore original image to new HD using MFSTools

Thanks in advance
if the drive in step 1 is the original factory drive, then yes that will all work fine.
I read or misread, that you already HAD a 160 gig set up at 137 gigs. If THAT is teh case, you can'r expand THAT drive to a full 160 gigs without starting from scratch.
Old 12-01-2005, 06:35 AM   #1472
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

For those asking about my netwok setup.
My wireless G Bridged setup is nearly identical in speed from when I was straight wired. There is aparrantly a lot of overhead in tivo-tivo xfers.
Old 12-01-2005, 06:38 AM   #1473
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

Quote:
Originally Posted by alert5
I did a stock Samsung 6.2, SIR-S4040R first. Used InstantCake image to hack and enhance with a new 250GB HD. Connected by ethernet cable to my router and all is well with this box. The primary motive for doing this machine was to allow batch "Save-to-VCR" to a standalone DVD recorder with internal hard drive. This will be a real time saver when recording entire series to DVD.

Next box is a stock Hughes HDVR2. I have a new 250GB HD in hand and hardware specific InstantCake ISO is downloading as we speak. I'll make up another Tools CD specific to this hardware. This box will also be connected directly to my router. MRV nirvana! The wife was actually happy to hear about this capability, but as usual thinks this is all just a wacky guy thing.

Question 1: After these machines have been running a while and appear stable, is there any reason not to "Zipper" the 40GB original 6.2 drives that came out of them? My thinking is, if one of the new hard drives should fail, I'd be able to get the machine back up and running with all the bells and whistles provided by Zipper by just swapping the old drive back in. Reverting to the original capability would be such a letdown.

Question 2: Rbautch I'm a bit confused by your reference to the HR10-250 on your enhancement thread. I have an HR10-250 in hand awaiting delivery of a Samsung DLP. Is there a way to get this into the mix? Do I need to hack the HR10-250 to 3.1.5f (?) to allow networking and then use your enhancement script on it? Or is there nothing to be done with the this HD-Tivo box to allow two-way sharing of at least SD recordings with the DirecTiVos?
as for question 1) It's best to leave the factory drive in a drawer unaltered just for peace of mind
2) The enhance script won't allow mrv on an HD Tivo because the code to do so is non existant in the HD Tivo software. You can set it up for tivoweb amd that thing we can't discuss here however.
Old 12-01-2005, 07:03 AM   #1474
alert5

Thanks for the explanation Gunnyman. I guess the WEB thing would be pretty nice for the HD. I personally have no interest in that taboo subject, although I think it a bit silly. After all isn't real time transfer to other media the same thing?

I'll follow your advice and store the originals with the CDs.

Wonderful job by you guys. I'm very grateful for all your hard work.
alert5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 10:19 AM   #1475
DrJohn2005

Gunnyman

Do you guys have a mIRC room or some other kind of live chat room if so where would it be? If not i would be happy to set it up for us. Just let me know...
DrJohn2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 10:48 AM   #1476
sgs55

Just an update -- iI was having problems with the tweak script skipping steps when run on a Win98 machine. I tried the XP instructions, but couldn't get them to work on the Win98 manchine.

No worries, I followed rbautch's advise and ran telnet from an XP (following the SP2 instructions) and it worked like a charm. Thanks again.

One last question. I'm getting transfer rates of 5-7 Mb/s in one direction and 8-10 Mb/s in the other. Both are significantly faster than real time (1 hour show in less than 20 minutes in the "slower" direction) so its not a problem. I'm just curious whether anyone knows why two Tivos both with Belkin 7230 routers set as APs would consistently give different transfer rates depending on the direction of the transfer.

Thanks again rbautch and Gunny!!!
sgs55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 10:57 AM   #1477
DLiquid
Progressive User

A couple of questions:

1) Last night when activating my new TiVo, the CSR asked if it would be connected to a phone line. I said, "Um, I think so." I am about to Zipper this thing. Does it matter that I answered yes to this question?

2) I don't yet have the Linksys BEFSR41 router I'll be using on my network. Can I still run the Zipper and rbautch's script? I would set up the DNS and gateway addresses to my (future) router's IP address, but during the install process the TiVo would not be connected to a router and would have no internet access.

Thanks!
DLiquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 10:59 AM   #1478
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJohn2005
Do you guys have a mIRC room or some other kind of live chat room if so where would it be? If not i would be happy to set it up for us. Just let me know...
hmm intersting idea
I can create an AIM chatroom I suppose
unless you wanna set up IRC with a bot of some sort
Old 12-01-2005, 11:49 AM   #1479
DLiquid
Progressive User

Should I use the Version 2.5 October 28, 2005 of tweak.sh that comes in tools_disk.zip, or should I use the Version 2.7 November 20, 2005 from the "Enhance Your Hacked Tivo With This Script" thread?
Old 12-01-2005, 12:12 PM   #1480
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

2.7. I thought russ was keeping the site current. Hmmm
Old 12-01-2005, 12:17 PM   #1481
pink_panther

I just installed the zipper, went to hook up my network adaptor to my directv tivo and wasn't getting a signal. Apparanently I can't use wireless G on 6.2 tivos or something? It's a WG111 Netgear adaptor. I don't know what else to do. I can't do the wired approach because I don't have any extra spending money. I have two computers in my room for now, could I hook the tivo up to one computer, then connect the computer to my network? Someone please help me out here.
Thanks
pink_panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 12:29 PM   #1482
rbautch
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnyman
I have deliberately kept an older version of the enhancement script on the Zipper tools disk to make it simple for new users. Most users won't notice the difference between the two. The version of the script in the Enhancement thread downloads the main scripts on the fly so network settings better be correct, and you need to have a high-speed internet connection. If one more variable is taken out of the equation for newbies, then that's a good thing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

rbautch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 12:37 PM   #1483
rbautch
User

Quote:
If you decide to use 2.7, then first delete the rbautch-files.tgz archive in the /hacks directory.

or

Old 12-01-2005, 12:37 PM   #1484
pink_panther

alternate to networking?

I just installed the zipper, went to hook up my network adaptor to my directv tivo and wasn't getting a signal. Apparanently I can't use wireless G on 6.2 tivos or something? It's a WG111 Netgear adaptor. I don't know what else to do. I can't do the wired approach because I don't have any extra spending money. I have two computers in my room for now, could I hook the tivo up to one computer, then connect the computer to my network? Someone please help me out here.
Thanks
Old 12-01-2005, 12:38 PM   #1485
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

there is a list of compatible adapters on tivo's website in the support section. Or scan this thread for what others are using.
Old 12-01-2005, 12:41 PM   #1486
rbautch
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by pink_panther
Thanks
Seach this thread for "wireless adapter".

or

Old 12-01-2005, 12:48 PM   #1487
pink_panther

so from what I'm seeing, I'm gonna have to spend money I don't have for a wireless b adaptor or some wired adpator. I didn't see any other alternatives...
Old 12-01-2005, 12:53 PM   #1488
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

you don't HAVE to hack your tivo's either. Sometimes a hobby requires some investment.
Old 12-01-2005, 12:58 PM   #1489
DLiquid
Progressive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbautch
I have deliberately kept an older version of the enhancement script on the Zipper tools disk to make it simple for new users.
I guess I will stick with 2.5 then. Based on the change notes, I thought there was a possibility 2.6 and 2.7 fixed some stuff.
Old 12-01-2005, 01:12 PM   #1490
pink_panther

is there away to add the enhancements before pulling the harddrive from the PC. I'm not sure if theres any point to that, there really wouldn't be if all the programs required the network... I don't know, I guess it's time to scrap some money togather and get a workable b adaptor. what's a good choice?
Old 12-01-2005, 01:54 PM   #1491
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

it's on the HD, but the script requires that it be run in a running tivo. You can always build a serial cable and install it that way.
As for a good choice, like I said in an earlier post, check tivo.com for the list of compatible devices.
Old 12-01-2005, 02:18 PM   #1492
rbautch
User

Or see post #1487.

or

Old 12-01-2005, 03:12 PM   #1493
dnemec123

Rbautch,
For some reason, joe did not install. When I type "author" (without the quotes of course), it complains that joe is not found. The .profile is correct, but the application did not install.

Is there a way to manually install joe?

Thanks!
Dale
dnemec123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 03:28 PM   #1494
CopyCat

Cool

I've been working on getting all of this working for me and your help has been great as is The Zipper, but now I'm stuck again, this time with a TivoWeb error when trying to merge 2 programs.
INTERNAL SERVER ERROR
--cut here--
action_merge3ns '/' ''
can't read "splist": no such variable
while executing
"mergerecordings $splist "
(procedure "::action_merge3ns" line 22)
invoked from within
"::action_$action $chan $part $env"
("eval" body line 1)
invoked from within
"eval {::action_$action $chan $part $env}"
--cut here--

This happens when I click on 2 programs to merge into 1

I searched and found this :
tivocommunity_com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?p = 3143165&highlight=action_merge#post3143165

but no fix was there or trail to a fix.

Any ideas where to start ?

2 Philips 7000 zippered 300GB
1 HR10-250 zippered 500GB

Last edited by CopyCat : 12-01-2005 at 03:40 PM.
CopyCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 03:36 PM   #1495
rbautch
User

Quote:
Rbautch,
For some reason, joe did not install. When I type "author" (without the quotes of course), it complains that joe is not found. The .profile is correct, but the application did not install.

Is there a way to manually install joe?

Thanks!
Dale
Find the joe archive in /enhancements and untar it. Leave the joe binary in enhancements, and copy the .joerc file to the root directory. Or, try uninstalling/reinstalling the script.
Old 12-01-2005, 03:38 PM   #1496
rbautch
User

Quote:
I've been working on getting all of this working for me and your help has been great as is The Zipper, but now I'm stuck again, this time with a TivoWeb error when trying to merge 2 programs.
INTERNAL SERVER ERROR
--cut here--
action_merge3ns '/' ''
can't read "splist": no such variable
while executing
"mergerecordings $splist "
(procedure "::action_merge3ns" line 22)
invoked from within
"::action_$action $chan $part $env"
("eval" body line 1)
invoked from within
"eval {::action_$action $chan $part $env}"
--cut here--

This happens when I click on 2 programs to merge into 1

I searched this site and some others and did not get a hit, any ideas where I went wrong ?
Try restarting Tivowebplus with "twprs" at bash. If still no luck, then post in the TWP-merge thread.
Old 12-01-2005, 03:45 PM   #1497
CopyCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbautch
Try restarting Tivowebplus with "twprs" at bash. If still no luck, then post in the TWP-merge thread.
Super answer, worked like a charm.

Any idea what might have caused it or just something to file away for the next time ?

Thanks for The Zipper and all your support.

2 Philips 7000 zippered 300GB
1 HR10-250 zippered 500GB
CopyCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 03:52 PM   #1498
DrJohn2005

Gunnyman

Quote:
hmm intersting idea
I can create an AIM chatroom I suppose
unless you wanna set up IRC with a bot of some sort
I can do a mIRC chat with a bot on a ultra private server with no problem at all. All I need is a yes or no answer???

Oh yea what would you wanna call the room?
DrJohn2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 03:57 PM   #1499
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

yes
call it tivo_zipper
Old 12-01-2005, 04:29 PM   #1500
bengalfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by pink_panther
Thanks

Don't bother to read any of this thread or do any kind of a search. Gunnyman helpeth he who helpeth himself.