TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Underground
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-28-2005, 10:46 PM   #1411
drv80only

Gunnyman I have some questions for you. Can I email you, or IM. Talk of this not allowed on this chat. Zipper has worked perfect and will use on all of my Tivo's. Thanks for the great software.
drv80only is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 02:22 PM   #1412
jroehrig

Thumbs up thanks a million

I used your instruction to place os 4.0 on my direct TIVO. It's alived and networked. Thanks for all of your hard work and the work of the other contributors and most of all thanks for sharing.

Regards

Joe
jroehrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 06:05 PM   #1413
GusMan

Hey everyone,
Im going to be a new DirecTV sub once I get my DVR80's tomorrow. I have a new drive that I have already done most of the script and it is awesome!

I guess my question is... does anyone foresee a problem with me doing these updates and swapping the drives out before I activate my D* account? I was hoping to do all this so that I would not have to go through the inital setup with the phone line. (Vonage user here..) If I have to anyway, I guess its not a problem as there are ways around that. Just wondering.

Thanks!
-Gus
GusMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 06:12 PM   #1414
tsunami

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusMan
Hey everyone,
Im going to be a new DirecTV sub once I get my DVR80's tomorrow. I have a new drive that I have already done most of the script and it is awesome!

I guess my question is... does anyone foresee a problem with me doing these updates and swapping the drives out before I activate my D* account? I was hoping to do all this so that I would not have to go through the inital setup with the phone line. (Vonage user here..) If I have to anyway, I guess its not a problem as there are ways around that. Just wondering.

Thanks!
-Gus
There are others that know much more about this than me, but, here is my 2 cents.
That should be fine. But, depending on where you got your image, it may show up as a hardware error. You have to do a clear and delete which takes over an hour. But I just recently was informed there is a file called 51killer.tcl in the /busybox directory that fixes that problem. Just boot up and run it from a the bash prompt.
tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 06:35 PM   #1415
bugs99

Can't remember if this topic is allowed or not but will the zipper decrypt old shows? If not, how? Thanks.
bugs99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 06:39 PM   #1416
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

nope and we can't discuss how here.
Old 11-29-2005, 09:56 PM   #1417
GusMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunami
That should be fine. But, depending on where you got your image, it may show up as a hardware error.
I followed the directions to a "T" and got my image via InstantCake. But I will be prepared to run 51killer if need be.

But let me ask this... which is the "preferred" method... 51killer or a clear and delete?

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-29-2005, 09:58 PM   #1418
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

they both acomplish the same thing on an empty tivo.
Old 11-29-2005, 10:01 PM   #1419
Grentz
Pocket PC Guru

I have read through most of this thread, looks great, i am looking at upgrading my DSR708 (i have already done Hinsdale's guide and upgraded myself to a 200gb drive about 3 months ago)

Went perfectly, and i am a computer tech/system designer so i am quite familiar with pcs, just not necessarily linux programming hehehe

1)Anyhow, i am curious, can i just apply the zipper to this already upgraded drive? or do i need to start from scratch...

Also, if i upgrade the drive with the zipper, will the recorded shows, settings, etc. be saved?

2)Also, this will not mess up if directv adds new channels or removes channels (they have added a few and rearranged a few, and i dont want the channel logos to be all screwed up or something) right?

3)My final question is, via serial link (which i currently use PPP to do my calls with), i know i can setup the zipper, but can i also look at photos from other machines, etc., or do i need to get myself a adapter like the MA111?

If you could get back to me that would be great as i would like to start upgrading ASAP

Thanks all!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Grentz : 11-29-2005 at 10:26 PM.
Grentz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 10:06 PM   #1420
GusMan

Thanks Gunnyman.

One more question... would I still have to do the initial setup with the phone line?

I ask since I know there are known issues with Tivo and Vonage. That is, of course, if there is a way to do it over the network.

Thanks again!!
Old 11-30-2005, 06:22 AM   #1421
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

nope no phone line needed
Old 11-30-2005, 07:31 AM   #1422
Grentz
Pocket PC Guru

Any tips on my questions?

I REALLY would like to start right now, and i need to know the answers before starting

Thanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-30-2005, 09:02 AM   #1423
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grentz
I have read through most of this thread, looks great, i am looking at upgrading my DSR708 (i have already done Hinsdale's guide and upgraded myself to a 200gb drive about 3 months ago)

Went perfectly, and i am a computer tech/system designer so i am quite familiar with pcs, just not necessarily linux programming hehehe

1)Anyhow, i am curious, can i just apply the zipper to this already upgraded drive? or do i need to start from scratch...

Also, if i upgrade the drive with the zipper, will the recorded shows, settings, etc. be saved?

2)Also, this will not mess up if directv adds new channels or removes channels (they have added a few and rearranged a few, and i dont want the channel logos to be all screwed up or something) right?

3)My final question is, via serial link (which i currently use PPP to do my calls with), i know i can setup the zipper, but can i also look at photos from other machines, etc., or do i need to get myself a adapter like the MA111?

If you could get back to me that would be great as i would like to start upgrading ASAP

Thanks all!

1) Yes re-imaging the drive is completely optional.
2) No effect on channels
3) you will need to NETWORK the tivo to get the added features.
Old 11-30-2005, 10:04 AM   #1424
rbautch
User

For all who get the Error #51, if you follow the directions exactly, the tweak.sh script will remove the error without manually running 51killer. You just have to ingnore the error when it first pops up. If it still persists, then go ahead and run 51killer, but I would suggest not doing a clear and delete everything.
rbautch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 10:36 AM   #1425
bugs99

I recently applied the zipper to my HDVR2 which has a 160GB HD. When I replaced the original factory drive with this drive I didn't have the proper tool(s) to allow me to take advantage of the full 160GB so it is now only using 120GB.

What is the best way to re-image the drive so I can get the full 160GB? I do realize I will lose the shows already recorded but I'm looking for the easiest way to do it, something with the ease of use as the zipper.

P.S. I still have my original factory drive (with the zipper installed on it).
bugs99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 10:47 AM   #1426
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

bugs you will need to get yor own image and apply it with the zipper.
Your shows will be gone.
Sadly, there's no way to recover the disk space without starting from scratch.
Old 11-30-2005, 11:00 AM   #1427
toadleyb

Just wanted to post another success! I am totally new to Tivo Hacking. I found Zipper 2 days ago. I took the 40 GB out of my HDVR2 copied it to an 80GB using the Hinsdale guide. I then Zippered the new drive and all is working awesome.

I should be getting my FA120 from New Egg today, then I can start playing!

Thanks for making this process soooo easy!

Todd
toadleyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 11:49 AM   #1428
tstout

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennybain
Hi guys,

First, I wanted to say thanks for the help. I found a couple of things that may have caused that problem. First, I had mistakenly picked up a CD-RW disk! I suspect that may have been the problem. Regardless, I burned the Tools disk with a PC (rather than a Mac) and brought it home and it worked just as the instructions said it would. So... my TiVo hack is complete!

Thanks again...
I don't think it was the CD-RW disk. I had no end of problems trying to use a finder-burnt cd but was able to fix it by reburning using Toast (IS9660 w/Joliet filenames) It looks like the OS X finder is doing something funky with the structure of the discs or filenames it's burning. The Toast-burnt cd worked fine first try.

The zipper script and associated hacks are pretty slick -- Thanks to all who contributed to them!
tstout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 02:41 PM   #1429
dougw

First I wanted to say that I Zippered my 2 units and everything worked beautifully
Thanks for making such a great program!

I do have one question. I want my brother to also Zipper his units but he needs to use a wireless network for SD-DVR40 tivos. Is there any wireless USB 2 adapters that are recommended? Preferably an 80211.G.

I did look up the Belkin 5060 but I believe it is USB 1 and also it seems to be discontinued.

Thanks,
Doug...
dougw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 02:48 PM   #1430
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

wireless G won't happen unless you go with a wired adapter into a wireless G bridge
this is how mine are set up they work perfectly.
Old 11-30-2005, 03:20 PM   #1431
Grentz
Pocket PC Guru

what do you recommend for a wireless card?

And from your response i take it shows will not be deleted if i just apply the zipper?

Thanks again, your the best gunny!

Old 11-30-2005, 03:56 PM   #1432
sandpj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnyman
wireless G won't happen unless you go with a wired adapter into a wireless G bridge
this is how mine are set up they work perfectly.
What transfer rate do you realize with the wireless G bridge? I get just under 2Mb/s transfer between two WUSB11 adapters which is normally not quite fast enough to watch immediately upon initiating transfer.
sandpj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 04:06 PM   #1433
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

I MRV a 1 hr show in just over 10 minutes.
Old 11-30-2005, 04:09 PM   #1434
Grentz
Pocket PC Guru

i really need help with an adapter...what wifi adapter should i get

all of you say go look on tivos site which has some versions and such...but common, most stores dont say the versions so where can i find one that works

please i need help

you seem to be skipping my posts gunny lol

SO when you do your zipper thing will i lose my recorded shows?

Old 11-30-2005, 04:11 PM   #1435
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grentz
i really need help with an adapter...what wifi adapter should i get

all of you say go look on tivos site which has some versions and such...but common, most stores dont say the versions so where can i find one that works

please i need help

you seem to be skipping my posts gunny lol

SO when you do your zipper thing will i lose my recorded shows?
On Tivo's support page there is a list of wireless adapters to use. Just avoid the wireless G ones that say for 7.2 only.
Zipper won't delete shows if you hack an in place 6.2 image.
Old 11-30-2005, 04:15 PM   #1436
Grentz
Pocket PC Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnyman
On Tivo's support page there is a list of wireless adapters to use. Just avoid the wireless G ones that say for 7.2 only.
Zipper won't delete shows if you hack an in place 6.2 image.

OK I JUST SAID

everyone tells me to go to tivos site

I am having trouble though finding these adapters as they are ALL version specific (at least the ones i can actually find)

SO, most stores dont say the version, so can someone give me a link or something to a good one......

Seriously, i have spent tons of time looking, and the only ones that i can find with versions are from stores that charge way too much....

also, there are two columns, which one do i go by to see if its supported or not?

Old 11-30-2005, 04:19 PM   #1437
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

ok tivo sells one that works in its store (or it used to anyhow)
Look wireless b technology is OLD.
You're gonna have trouble.
I have no magic 8 ball telling me what stuff is for sale where. Print teh list and go shopping. Try Ebay 1st.
Old 11-30-2005, 04:22 PM   #1438
sandpj

The Linksys WUSB11 is a popular 802.11b adapter. The best option is to buy a version 2.6 or 2.8 off of ebay for about $20 plus shipping.
sandpj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 04:22 PM   #1439
mercurial
Retro-Av

Or Froogle or PricewWatch.com...
Old 11-30-2005, 04:22 PM   #1440
Grentz
Pocket PC Guru

ok, i was curious if you had store or something

I know how to buy technology, i just have had a hard time finding OLD versions for B

B is common place, i can get B stuff anywhere, just not the old versions of b hardware.....

its stupid that i have to pay 50$ for an older version of something i can get for 20$...(thats the case with the WUSB11)

I have looked on ebay and other places and whenever its v2.8 its really expensive...very stupid