TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Underground
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-19-2005, 09:29 PM   #1201
rbautch
User

You don't have a hacked box, you have a standard tivo with an upgraded hard drive. You can skip 1 and 2. Just the original primary drive.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

rbautch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 10:05 PM   #1202
dnemec123

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbautch
Did you have the Zipper install a new image for you or did you install it first yourself? Anyway, to get rid of error 51, run:
Code:
tivosh /busybox/51killer.tcl
...and then reboot.
Nevermind... I used the Search function and found this answer.

Dale
dnemec123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 10:37 PM   #1203
dnemec123

So now my Hughes and Samsung DirecTiVo's are Zipper'd, but I have a post-install question:

Should I be seeing some sort of Network Setup screen(s) under DirecTV Central / Messages and Setup / Settings?

If so, I'm not. Even though I have a WUSB11 wireless adapter connected and working (I can telnet into them just fine).

Thanks!
Dale
Old 11-19-2005, 10:55 PM   #1204
Dirac

You'll only see that with S/W version 4. Version 6.2 has native networking capability but DirecTV has disabled/removed the menus to change the settings. That's the main reason why doing a network setup on a DTiVo (especially wireless) is no longer trivial. But the speed in 6.2 makes up for it.

To change network settings you'll either have to do so "manually" (running tcl scripts) or using the very handy Network module included in rbautch's tivowebplus package.

2x HR20-700
2x SIR-S4040R, stock (for sale)
HR10-250, v. 6.4a stock
Dirac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 11:23 PM   #1205
jedware

Has anyone ever seen an "input\output error" after trying to run the zipper.sh?

I was unable to run the zipper tools disk on the first computer I was trying. Granted it is old but the PTV disk booted fine. I tried changing jumpers and a host of other items but I could never get it to work on the first computer.

Everything worked fine on the second computer, it was more of a hassle to open and plug items into, but everything ran without a hitch.

I was just wondering is there some CD Drives\Computers that have this type of known problem?
jedware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 11:52 PM   #1206
dnemec123

When I Zipper'd my two drives, I ran into an issue where the Primary IDE cable wasn't fully seated into the motherboard... the BIOS and the Linux OS couldn't "see" the hard drive.

Once fully the IDE cable was fully seated, everything worked as advertised.

Dale
Old 11-20-2005, 09:02 AM   #1207
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnemec123
So now my Hughes and Samsung DirecTiVo's are Zipper'd, but I have a post-install question:

Should I be seeing some sort of Network Setup screen(s) under DirecTV Central / Messages and Setup / Settings?

If so, I'm not. Even though I have a WUSB11 wireless adapter connected and working (I can telnet into them just fine).

Thanks!
Dale
Nope there are no network config screens in 6.2
Old 11-20-2005, 09:25 AM   #1208
bengalfreak

Quote:
Only if you plan to leave a phone line connected for callerID and such. The enhancemt script sets up cron job to run fakecall every night.
This is still an option right? It doesn't automatically set up crond does it?
Old 11-20-2005, 10:41 AM   #1209
rbautch
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bengalfreak
This is still an option right? It doesn't automatically set up crond does it?
The installation of cron is optional, but if it's chosen, you get fakecall run every night.

or

Old 11-20-2005, 10:45 AM   #1210
GAM
Niiiice!

After zippering and getting systems up and running, is it okay to store new hacks i.e. bufferhack in the enhancements directory or is there a more preferred location?
GAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 10:51 AM   #1211
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Some suggestions:

Include some instructions to ensure wget is installed and resolv.conf is configured. Maybe even modify the script to ensure it can execute wget and that it can resolve domain names.

And instead of saying the script can be placed anywhere and run, include specific instructions to create a temporary directory for it someplace outside of /var.

I've got to pull a drive now (on an HR10-250) to reinstall some things because of failures during running the script that left a lot of stuff in that /var directory, which likely then caused it to clean it up when I rebooted, killing all the networking hacks before your script could be run successfully (and presumably moving lots of stuff out of /var or /var/hack to prevent this kind of thing in the future. ).

It'd also be a good idea, I think, to use a different technique to decide if an uninstall is necessary, since several steps happen before the uninstall script gets installed and if something fails prior to that, the novice is left being told to run the uninstall script first, but there's no script around to run -- nothing more than a couple directories and an empty file to delete. Maybe test for something that's done after the uninstall script is copied in place and confirmed to exist (not be an empty file).

dswallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 12:38 PM   #1212
rbautch
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dswallow
Some suggestions:

Include some instructions to ensure wget is installed and resolv.conf is configured. Maybe even modify the script to ensure it can execute wget and that it can resolve domain names.
I assume this comment is meant for the Enhancement script, not the Zipper. There are differences... the most current Enhancement script here uses wget to download the files archive called rbautch-files.tgz with all the hacks. For that, I'm planning to write some code to edit the resolv.conf file on the fly with your router IP address, or maybe I'll just use the IP address of the website so DNS is not needed to resolve the address. Note that this is only a requirement for the HR10-250 because DNS and other network parameters are not set in MFS. The version of the enhancement script that comes with the Zipper has no need for wget since all the files are copied to your drive with the Zipper. I may keep it that way to simplify the Zipper installation.

Quote:
And instead of saying the script can be placed anywhere and run, include specific instructions to create a temporary directory for it someplace outside of /var.
You don't have to place the script anywhere, because it already comes packaged in the /hacks directory by the Zipper. If you are referring to the latest Enhancement script linked above, even if it runs from /var, it won't put anything in /var except the TWP installation. Some hacks absolutely have to be in var because they are hardcoded to be there. For these hacks, I cleverly put them in /enhancements/varhacks, and had the script create symlinks in var that point to the actual hacks in /enhancements/varhacks/. Even though you see the hacks in var, you are just seeing the symlinks not the actual hacks. If var ever gets wiped, the symlinks will automatically get rebuilt because I append your author file to look for a flag file in /var, and then run a special rebuilding script if it doesnt find it. Very cool indeed.

Quote:
I've got to pull a drive now (on an HR10-250) to reinstall some things because of failures during running the script that left a lot of stuff in that /var directory, which likely then caused it to clean it up when I rebooted, killing all the networking hacks before your script could be run successfully (and presumably moving lots of stuff out of /var or /var/hack to prevent this kind of thing in the future. ).
I'm still working on making the Zipper compatible with an HR10-250. I posted a test script awhile back, but it's still in the testing phase. The network hacks do not run at all on the HR10-250, because there's no provision in MFS to store network settings. The test copy of the Zipper simply appends your author file with ifconfig/insmod statements to get networking running. Since your author file is not in /var, var getting wiped would not affect your networking. In fact, the Zipper doesn't place anything in var that would affect networking. When the next version is released, it will have the symlinks code that is in the current Enhancment script, which will get everything out of var except TWP. As I said before, when a new Enhancment script is released, I like to let it "settle in" for awhile before I unleash it on the Zipper crowd.

Quote:
It'd also be a good idea, I think, to use a different technique to decide if an uninstall is necessary, since several steps happen before the uninstall script gets installed and if something fails prior to that, the novice is left being told to run the uninstall script first, but there's no script around to run -- nothing more than a couple directories and an empty file to delete. Maybe test for something that's done after the uninstall script is copied in place and confirmed to exist (not be an empty file).
I'm not sure I understand this. If an existing enhancement directory is found, you must run the uninstall script first, no exceptions. If you get the prompt to uninstall first, it means you've already run the script once, and you're trying to run it again which could be very bad. The main point of having to run the unistall script first is to restore files like rc.sysinit.author and .profile, so subsequent runs of the enhancement script doesn't put duplicate entries in there. The uninstall script also copies the rbautch-files.tgz archive to the current directory so you can immediately reinstall the script. I use this frequently for testing, when I have to uninstall/reinstall the script 20 times in a row. The criteria I use right now is to detect if the /enhancement script exists, and then promt for uninstall if it does. If the /enhancement script exists, it's 99% likely that your author was appended with some startup commands and your original author file needs to be restored before you run the script again.

edit: or did you mean if the uninstall script does not get successfully downloaded by wget?

Anyway, some pretty astute observations by you. Keeps me honest.

or

Last edited by rbautch : 11-20-2005 at 12:51 PM.
Old 11-20-2005, 12:49 PM   #1213
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
I assume this comment is meant for the Enhancement script, not the Zipper. There are differences... the most current Enhancement script here uses wget to download the files archive called rbautch-files.tgz with all the hacks. For that, I'm planning to write some code to edit the resolv.conf file on the fly with your router IP address, or maybe I'll just use the IP address of the website so DNS is not needed to resolve the address. Note that this is only a requirement for the HR10-250 because DNS and other network parameters are not set in MFS. The version of the enhancement script that comes with the Zipper has no need for wget since all the files are copied to your drive with the Zipper. I may keep it that way to simplify the Zipper installation.

You don't have to place the script anywhere, because it already comes packaged in the /hacks directory by the Zipper. If you are referring to the latest Enhancement script linked above, even if it runs from /var, it won't put anything in /var except the TWP installation. Some hacks absolutely have to be in var because they are hardcoded to be there. For these hacks, I cleverly put them in /enhancements/varhacks, and had the script create symlinks in var that point to the actual hacks in /enhancements/varhacks/. Even though you see the hacks in var, you are just seeing the symlinks not the actual hacks. If var ever gets wiped, the symlinks will automatically get rebuilt because I append your author file to look for a flag file in /var, and then run a special rebuilding script if it doesnt find it. Very cool indeed.

I'm still working on making the Zipper compatible with an HR10-250. I posted a test script awhile back, but it's still in the testing phase. The network hacks do not run at all on the HR10-250, because there's no provision in MFS to store network settings. The test copy of the Zipper simply appends your author file with ifconfig/insmod statements to get networking running. Since your author file is not in /var, var getting wiped would not affect your networking. In fact, the Zipper doesn't place anything in var that would affect networking. When the next version is released, it will have the symlinks code that is in the current Enhancment script, which will get everything out of var except TWP. As I said before, when a new Enhancment script is released, I like to let it "settle in" for awhile before I unleash it on the Zipper crowd.

I'm not sure I understand this. If an existing enhancement directory is found, you must run the uninstall script without exception. If you get the prompt to uninstall first, it means you've already run the script once, and you're trying to run it again which could be very bad. The main point of having to run the unistall script first is to restore files like rc.sysinit.author and .profile, so subsequent runs of the enhancement script doesn't put duplicate entries in there. The uninstall script also copies the rbautch-files.tgz archive to the current directory so you can immediately reinstall the script. I use this frequently for testing, when I have to uninstall/reinstall the script 20 times in a row. The criteria I use right now is to detect if the /enhancement script exists, and then promt for uninstall if it does. If the /enhancement script exists, it's 99% likely that your author was appended with some startup commands and your original author file needs to be restored before you run the script again.

Anyway, some pretty astute observations by you. Keeps me honest.
Yes, I apparently posted in the wrong thread. Sorry about that.

With regard to the uninstall script, I have not yet had the script run without error and as it started and was displaying errors, I'd kill it before it got too far along. THe two times this happened, it really had done nothing more than create the directory and one subdirectory, and one time it also created the empty file which should've been the big download. I had no "wget" for it to run the first time, so that was the cause, and then the second time no host names were resolving because I never edited resolv.conf (never had a need to since nothing I'd added required resolving names). Before I was going to run it a third time I just tested resolving names and it still wouldn't so figured I'd reboot thee unit first, and then it apparently rebuilt the whole /var directory since nothing I'd added pre-script works anymore (had that happen once before to me, so though I've not pulled the drive to check, I'm pretty sure that's what I'm going to find).

In other words nothing had installed because nothing coul dbe downloaded, but I couldn't jsut retry the script because the directory it checks for had been created, so it told me to run the uninstall script -- but there was no uninstall script to run yet since nothing had worked during the install. I was just suggesting that a different test might be more appropriate, like looking for the uninstall script itself (though with wget but with no resolving, it'd be a 0-byte file after that part of the install).

BTW, if it helps this is what I'd originally followed when hacking the HR10-250: http://www.imbetterthanyou.com/hr10-250/

I'll try again later today on another HR10-250 that's still got networking working -- I don't really feel like pulling drives at the moment.

Last edited by dswallow : 11-20-2005 at 01:03 PM.
Old 11-20-2005, 12:55 PM   #1214
rbautch
User

Ah, now I get it. Sounds like it does need an adjustment. I think I'll put some check in right after the wget downloads to see if the files actually downloaded successfully. I'll halt the script if they're not, so the enhancements directory never gets created. Of course, I first have to fix the DNS stuff in resolv.conf. Can you post the exact contents of that file here?

or

Old 11-20-2005, 01:02 PM   #1215
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Ah, now I get it. Sounds like it does need an adjustment. I think I'll put some check in right after the wget downloads to see if the files actually downloaded successfully. I'll halt the script if they're not, so the enhancements directory never gets created. Of course, I first have to fix the DNS stuff in resolv.conf. Can you post the exact contents of that file here?
This is what is in /etc/resolv.conf as the HR10-250 comes from DirecTV/TiVo:

# Copyright (c) 2001 TiVo Inc.
search engr.teleworld.com
nameserver 192.168.14.1
nameserver 192.168.14.2

Old 11-20-2005, 01:19 PM   #1216
champ9533

Is it possible to hack a 6.2 directv tivo and make it compatible with a cable signal b/c I don't have Directv anymore. Thanks for any help anyone can give.
champ9533 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 01:25 PM   #1217
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by champ9533
Is it possible to hack a 6.2 directv tivo and make it compatible with a cable signal b/c I don't have Directv anymore. Thanks for any help anyone can give.
Nope, not in any manner whatsoever is it possible to do this.

Old 11-20-2005, 01:34 PM   #1218
champ9533

thanks...

errrgghhh. but thanks for the help
champ9533 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 04:24 PM   #1219
ksin291

ok, I followed all of the steps on the tivo zipper page and I've gotten to the point where I'm supposed to telnet into my tivo. Problem is that I can't get into it, I'm using a linksys usb 2.0 network adapter. I looked at the network adapter and I see no link lights lit, the adapter works fine on my pc although I have to install drivers to get it to work. Any suggestions?
ksin291 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 05:03 PM   #1220
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

linksys 200M version 2?
won't work get a Netgear FA120 instead
Old 11-20-2005, 05:17 PM   #1221
ksin291

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnyman
linksys 200M version 2?

wow that sucks! my friend is using the linksys 200m and it's working for him, maybe it's a versions 1 . problem is I don't have anywhere local to purchase the netgear.
Old 11-20-2005, 05:18 PM   #1222
Mr. Soze
The Devil you know

Quote:
linksys 200M version 2?
Thanks for the info. I bought the Linksys, and it would have taken me
a long while to figure that out when it wouldn't work, me being almost
totally inept at this stuff.

I've built the CD's, bought the new hard drive, and am ready to roll
when I swap the Linksys.
Old 11-20-2005, 05:22 PM   #1223
ksin291

Just called my buddy and his linksys doesn't say ver2 like mine so yeah, I'm screwed. I have to try and find the netgear, thanks.
Old 11-20-2005, 05:34 PM   #1224
ksin291

will the WG111 work? the local bestbuy carries this one and I could run out and get it now. Any other usb network adapter that will work could help too, I'm just trying to get this thing local and not have to order it. I still get a hardware error when I go to the now playing list. I'm guessing that this won't go away until I can telnet into the tivo and run the script, am I right?
Old 11-20-2005, 06:30 PM   #1225
rbautch
User

Most adapters sold in stores today won't work because the firmware is updated to a version that wasn't available when the tivo networking code was written. Your best bet is Ebay. You can try to find one in stores, but pay attention to the firmware version. Check the tivo website for the compatible adapters/firmware.

or

Old 11-20-2005, 06:49 PM   #1226
GAM
Niiiice!

Rbautch, after running your great tools what directory should future hacks be placed in?
Enhancements or somewhere else?
GAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 07:10 PM   #1227
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

it's your tivo store em where ever you want man.
Old 11-20-2005, 07:11 PM   #1228
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksin291
will the WG111 work? the local bestbuy carries this one and I could run out and get it now. Any other usb network adapter that will work could help too, I'm just trying to get this thing local and not have to order it. I still get a hardware error when I go to the now playing list. I'm guessing that this won't go away until I can telnet into the tivo and run the script, am I right?
A clear and delete everything will make it go away as well.
Old 11-20-2005, 07:36 PM   #1229
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
it's your tivo store em where ever you want man.
Technically that's true, but that's also what leads to all sorts of problems down the road... such as name conflicts. There should be some sort of guidelines to how hacks/mods are named and stored. At minimum, there should at least be a namespace for users to do anything within and a namespace that is controlled better.

Within the enhancement script, it would appear that the /enhancements/varhacks directory is the desired location for mods/hacks to be placed that don't otherwise have a specific install location identified.

Just as there are some standards in Linux/Unix where app-specific configuration files vs. app-specific static files vs. app-specific temporary files all should end up, there should be some sort of consistent guidelines followed for mods/hacks. If only for sanity's sake when trying to figure out what's been done.

Last edited by dswallow : 11-20-2005 at 09:12 PM.
Old 11-20-2005, 07:52 PM   #1230
Uncle Spanky

welcome screen

I've got a couple of DTV tivo units, that are both 6.2 so I decided to run the zipper on them both. The first unit worked great, and is now "hacked", but the second unit is just sitting at the "welcome. please wait" screen. I've looked at the drive jumper settings, and its cable select. I've re-run the zipper a few times, and it gets through the script settings just fine...I'm stumped

Any ideas how to get this configured correctly ? It was working perfectly before the hack, so I'd have to guess that the hardware is fine...

Thanks

sb
Uncle Spanky is offline   Reply With Quote