TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Underground
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-28-2010, 10:59 PM   #11761
PanamaYellow

Zipper all series2 DTivos with the same software image?

I have two series2 DTivos, a Hughes HDVR2 (service# 151-xxx) and an RCA DVR40 (service# 321-xxx).

Both are successfully zippered and are running v6.4a (Not 6.2a as Herself decreed that folders in Now Playing and a Deleted folder are required).

The HDVR2 is working fine, no problems.

The DVR40 has a few issues. A few of the UI features aren’t working.
For example:

1. From Now Playing, neither right-arrow nor ‘select’ show the details of a given show like they should. Instead of opening the show’s details, the UI just sort of flashes a bit and then leaves you right there in Now Playing. The only way to get to a show at all is to press ‘play’ on the remote.

2. When a show is being recorded in ‘Suggestions’, normally you can press ‘clear’ to stop the recording. Now that doesn’t do anything.

Also, the DVR40 has frozen once, requiring me to power cycle it to bring it back.

Elsewhere on the site here, I read that all series2 DTivos can use the same software image. I bought an InstantCake image for the Hughes HDVR2 and then used it for both upgrades. (plugged into the zipper CD iso)

(BTW: I’d have bought a separate copy of InstantCake for the RCA’s zipper iso image but I found that the price had doubled in the week since I’d bought the Hughes image, from $19.99 to $39.99 and I really can’t afford to spend the money for a second copy.)

Could it be that my using a ‘151’ DTivo’s image in the ‘321’ DTivo is be the cause of problems like these?

Thank you,

PanamaYellow
PanamaYellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 09:08 PM   #11762
rbautch
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanamaYellow View Post
I have two series2 DTivos, a Hughes HDVR2 (service# 151-xxx) and an RCA DVR40 (service# 321-xxx).

Both are successfully zippered and are running v6.4a (Not 6.2a as Herself decreed that folders in Now Playing and a Deleted folder are required).

The HDVR2 is working fine, no problems.

The DVR40 has a few issues. A few of the UI features aren’t working.
For example:

1. From Now Playing, neither right-arrow nor ‘select’ show the details of a given show like they should. Instead of opening the show’s details, the UI just sort of flashes a bit and then leaves you right there in Now Playing. The only way to get to a show at all is to press ‘play’ on the remote.

2. When a show is being recorded in ‘Suggestions’, normally you can press ‘clear’ to stop the recording. Now that doesn’t do anything.

Also, the DVR40 has frozen once, requiring me to power cycle it to bring it back.

Elsewhere on the site here, I read that all series2 DTivos can use the same software image. I bought an InstantCake image for the Hughes HDVR2 and then used it for both upgrades. (plugged into the zipper CD iso)

(BTW: I’d have bought a separate copy of InstantCake for the RCA’s zipper iso image but I found that the price had doubled in the week since I’d bought the Hughes image, from $19.99 to $39.99 and I really can’t afford to spend the money for a second copy.)

Could it be that my using a ‘151’ DTivo’s image in the ‘321’ DTivo is be the cause of problems like these?

Thank you,

PanamaYellow
Not likely. Freezing is sign of a failing hard drive. Run drivemonitor.sh (should be in your /enhancements directory), and post the results.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

rbautch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 09:25 PM   #11763
PanamaYellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbautch View Post
Not likely. Freezing is sign of a failing hard drive. Run drivemonitor.sh (should be in your /enhancements directory), and post the results.
Thanks rbautch, for your response.

I ran drivemonitor.sh as you suggested; the drive is clean. (and it's about a month old)
Also, since I posted, I wound up (swallowing hard and) buying a 321-xxx version of the InstantCake image. Built the drive again from the same pre-zipper backup and installed it.

Since then, I've had no issues. The UI works as it should and the TiVo hasn't frozen or behaved badly.

During that time, I've been using Movieloader to pretty much pound the tar out of it, moving shows here and there - all without issue.

I wonder: Has anyone specifically tested the use of an image intended for one service number series2 dtivo on another series number box?

It's a mystery to me, but hopefully few others hit this particular wall.

It's unfortunate that the InstantCake vendor doubled their price just before I needed another copy, but that's the way the cookie crumbles.

PanamaYellow
PanamaYellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 06:08 PM   #11764
rbautch
User

Fyi, the Zipper website is down temporarily. I hope to have it back up by early next week.

or

Old 04-19-2010, 11:21 PM   #11765
qwertypo

Quote:
My audio began working again... but....
I am having frequent random reboots....
I ran drivemonitor.sh, and passed.

drivemonitor.sh: seq: command not found
No hard drive errors were found in your kernel log.
Your primary drive hda S.M.A.R.T. satus is: PASSED
No secondary drive was detected.
drivemonitor.sh: awk: command not found
drivemonitor.sh: cut: command not found
drivemonitor.sh: [: : integer expression expected
Done!

Should I rezipper?
qwertypo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 01:01 AM   #11766
Jeff_in_Bklyn

Hi,

My HD died in my HDVR2, whats the largest HD I can place in it these days?
Jeff_in_Bklyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 05:48 PM   #11767
bengalfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_in_Bklyn View Post
Hi,

My HD died in my HDVR2, whats the largest HD I can place in it these days?

Pretty sure its still 1TB. You can actually put a bigger hard drive in, but the Tivo OS will only address 1.2TB so anything over that is wasted space.
Old 04-27-2010, 03:11 PM   #11768
T1V0

Quote:
Originally Posted by bengalfreak View Post
Pretty sure its still 1TB. You can actually put a bigger hard drive in, but the Tivo OS will only address 1.2TB so anything over that is wasted space.
the actual size limitation is 2.2TB, imposed by the apple partition map

in theory one could create a S2 dtivo image for use with 2TB drives by creating an mfs image from scratch
T1V0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 06:05 PM   #11769
rbautch
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwertypo View Post
My audio began working again... but....
I am having frequent random reboots....
I ran drivemonitor.sh, and passed.

drivemonitor.sh: seq: command not found
drivemonitor.sh: awk: command not found
drivemonitor.sh: cut: command not found
drivemonitor.sh: [: : integer expression expected
Done!

Should I rezipper?
No, but download the Series 2 tools from my signature, and run drivemonitor again. Also post your kernel and err log after a reboot.

or

Last edited by rbautch : 04-27-2010 at 06:18 PM.
Old 04-28-2010, 12:28 AM   #11770
Jeff_in_Bklyn

Well I zippered and new drive for my HDVR2 and all was good but the machine died again so assume it is the machine and not the HD.

So anyway I have this drive all setup and it is bigger than the one I have in the livingroom a DSR-708, since these are both S2 machines can I just place the drive in that one so I have more space? or do I have to rezipper so it is fresh?

I guess I will just get a standard DTV box for the bedroom since I don't watch much there anyway.
Jeff_in_Bklyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 03:38 PM   #11771
z28freak86

The Zipper worked great with my series 2 TIVO
z28freak86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 11:13 AM   #11772
lhandelsman

Tivo freezing often

HI all

I zippered my Phillips DSR7000 a few years back and its worked great for us. Don't have HD in the house yet, but our reg box has been solid with a lot of use. Recently however I turn the tv on and the tivo receiver is frozen. I try to reboot and it usually brings it back up after going through the DTV setup, etc. It's happening almost daily now.

What is the recommended course of action? Should I try to re-do my harddrive or get a new one as that may be the issue.

Any way to save recordings?

Thanks!

Lucas
lhandelsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 08:04 PM   #11773
qwertypo

Quote:
No, but download the Series 2 tools from my signature, and run drivemonitor again. Also post your kernel and err log after a reboot.
Existing busbox utility detected.
Do you want to delete it and replace it with this version? [y/n]:y
install_busybox.sh: tar: command not found
tar command failed.
You must have a valid tar binary on your tivo,
and it must be in your PATH.
Exiting...

I seem to be missing TAR, I have double checked the path, and the busybox.tar is there.... what do I need to install to get TAR?
Old 05-17-2010, 09:07 PM   #11774
rbautch
User

Code:
cpio -i < busybox.tar
is an alternate to tar. Either modify the script to use cpio, or forego the script and perform the steps manually.

or

Old 05-17-2010, 10:27 PM   #11775
qwertypo

Quote:
Code:
cpio -i < busybox.tar
is an alternate to tar. Either modify the script to use cpio, or forego the script and perform the steps manually.
Rerun of drivemonitor.sh produced:

Your primary drive (hda) temperature is 44 degrees Celsius.
Number of reallocated sectors on your primary drive (hda) is 73,
which is not yet in excess of the threshold set by your drive manufacturer.
If the number of reallocated sectors continues to increase, your drive may fail.
Primary drive (hda) passed extended offline self test.
Done!

What do you recommend? is 73 high enough to produce reboots?

Last edited by qwertypo : 05-17-2010 at 11:09 PM.
Old 05-18-2010, 12:11 AM   #11776
Drewster
Shooting blanks

Since upgrading my Zippered HDVR2 from 6.2 to 6.4a (using Slicer), we now get a nag every day to do a daily call... even though the fakecall goes out.

How do I disable the nag?
Old 05-19-2010, 01:44 PM   #11777
markis

My HR10 running 6.3e has been showing an "Acquiring data" message for the past few days and checking the ToDo list and Guide, I see that I don't have any Guide data past early Friday evening (2 days from now). I rebooted and had DTV do a reset/reactivate, so I'm waiting to see if that will let me get new guide data.

If the Guide data doesn't come in by tomorrow, I think I'll try upgrading to 6.4a.

I have the 6.4a slices. Can I just slice upgrade directly from 6.3e to 6.4a or do I have to find the 6.3f slices and put those in first before 6.4a?

EDIT: To answer my own question, I think I upgraded from 6.3c to 6.3e earlier, so I guess I can skip 6.3f and go directly to 6.4a.

I'd still like to know if anyone else is having similar missing Guide data issues with 6.3e or older software.

Last edited by markis : 05-19-2010 at 02:37 PM.
markis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 02:44 PM   #11778
rbautch
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by markis View Post
My HR10 running 6.3e has been showing an "Acquiring data" message for the past few days and checking the ToDo list and Guide, I see that I don't have any Guide data past early Friday evening (2 days from now). I rebooted and had DTV do a reset/reactivate, so I'm waiting to see if that will let me get new guide data.

If the Guide data doesn't come in by tomorrow, I think I'll try upgrading to 6.4a.

I have the 6.4a slices. Can I just slice upgrade directly from 6.3e to 6.4a or do I have to find the 6.3f slices and put those in first before 6.4a?

EDIT: To answer my own question, I think I upgraded from 6.3c to 6.3e earlier, so I guess I can skip 6.3f and go directly to 6.4a.

I'd still like to know if anyone else is having similar missing Guide data issues with 6.3e or older software.
I run 6.2a with no guide data issues. Try repeating guided setup.

or

Old 05-19-2010, 03:01 PM   #11779
Drewster
Shooting blanks

Any ideas on how to make the "make call now" dialog go away on 6.4?
Old 05-19-2010, 05:04 PM   #11780
unclemoosh
I Wish I knew Then..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewster View Post
Any ideas on how to make the "make call now" dialog go away on 6.4?
Are you sure fakecall is successful? Does it run from your rc.sysinit.author and cron? Does it go away on reboot?
TivoWebPlus, mfs_ftp, Galleon, Movieloader, JavaHMO, tivoserver, etc.
unclemoosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 08:07 PM   #11781
markis

Quote:
I run 6.2a with no guide data issues. Try repeating guided setup.
Good to know. Thanks for the suggestion, I'll try that if my Guide doesn't clear up tomorrow.
markis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 10:23 PM   #11782
Drewster
Shooting blanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemoosh View Post
Are you sure fakecall is successful? Does it run from your rc.sysinit.author and cron? Does it go away on reboot?
It's listed in the rc.sysinit.author file, and located in /busybox. It seems to be in the path.

I'm not sure, though, how to check the crontab? crond is running, but I can't find the crontab binary.

Here's it's citation in rc.sysinit.author:
Code:
#############################################
# start crond after waiting 30 seconds
sleep 30
/busybox/crond

Old 05-20-2010, 06:57 PM   #11783
unclemoosh
I Wish I knew Then..

Quote:
It's listed in the rc.sysinit.author file, and located in /busybox. It seems to be in the path.

I'm not sure, though, how to check the crontab? crond is running, but I can't find the crontab binary.

Here's it's citation in rc.sysinit.author:
Code:
#############################################
# start crond after waiting 30 seconds
sleep 30
/busybox/crond
Since it's Zippered, you should be able to type "root" and it will open it with joe. It is located in /var/spool/cron/crontabs/root.
Old 05-20-2010, 08:31 PM   #11784
Drewster
Shooting blanks

Yup, it's in there. I tried invoking it manually and got this:
Code:
Running fakecall version 6
Failed to FakeCall, code=(invalid attribute: Complete)

Old 05-21-2010, 08:53 AM   #11785
unclemoosh
I Wish I knew Then..

Quote:
Yup, it's in there. I tried invoking it manually and got this:
Code:
Running fakecall version 6
Failed to FakeCall, code=(invalid attribute: Complete)
I guess you might try installing fakecall again.
Old 05-24-2010, 05:28 PM   #11786
qwertypo

Quote:
Rerun of drivemonitor.sh produced:

Your primary drive (hda) temperature is 44 degrees Celsius.
Number of reallocated sectors on your primary drive (hda) is 73,
which is not yet in excess of the threshold set by your drive manufacturer.
If the number of reallocated sectors continues to increase, your drive may fail.
Primary drive (hda) passed extended offline self test.
Done!

What do you recommend? is 73 high enough to produce reboots?
Any suggestions? Still having daily random reboots - thanks

its actually multiple times a day now....

Last edited by qwertypo : 05-25-2010 at 06:06 PM.
Old 05-31-2010, 05:41 PM   #11787
rbautch
User

Quote:
Any suggestions? Still having daily random reboots - thanks

its actually multiple times a day now....
Since it's not the hard drive you could force a gsod and let the database rebuild. If you don't care about the recordings, you could also reimage.

or

Old 06-01-2010, 05:57 AM   #11788
qwertypo

Quote:
Since it's not the hard drive you could force a gsod and let the database rebuild. If you don't care about the recordings, you could also reimage.
what steps do I take to force a gsod, and will I loose anything?

If I end up reimaging, is there a way to backup the recordings?

thanks
Old 06-08-2010, 08:55 PM   #11789
mikekub

Im in.... I have 6.4a software on two separate DVR's. I would like to preserver the existing recordings. What do I have to do. I apologize in advance, I know nothing about the process but have been wanting to enable the Tivo enhancements for some time now. I will glad pay for, or donate for any detailed help & software.
mikekub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 01:20 PM   #11790
rbautch
User

Quote:
what steps do I take to force a gsod, and will I loose anything?

If I end up reimaging, is there a way to backup the recordings?

thanks
Search for gsod, or "green screen of death". It's not as bad as it sounds. You won't lose recordings, but I think it wipes season passes and thumb data. You can back up recordings by extracting them, or transferring them to another tivo.

or