TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Underground
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-05-2009, 12:15 PM   #11731
bsdimp

zipper_isomaker for FreeBSD (and linux with libarchive tar)

I don't have a windows machine to run MISO from. So I translated zipper_isomaker to a unix shell script that runs on FreeBSD so I can build images. The only odd thing about the script is that I cheated and used the iso extraction feature of FreeBSD's tar. Other systems may need to install the so-called "libarchive" version of tar to run this script. Otherwise you have to play the mount the iso game, which requires privs and is extremely system dependent...

I've tested it on one upgrade of my HR10-250 and it seems to work ok, but having feedback from a larger community would be nice. I know this is kind of trailing edge stuff, but maybe somebody can benefit.

It also looks like I had to upload it as a zip file rather than the script. If you don't know how to cope with that, you're likely better off giving this script a pass.

Enjoy

bsdimp
Attached Files
File Type: zip zipper_isomaker.zip (1.1 KB, 22 views)
bsdimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 11:15 AM   #11732
thenamelessone

i am trying to create an iso using zipper with the intacake image and other needed files, but when it runs it says created without tivo image
then i copied the 0000 file to the temp director and it says it used the image but the size of the final file is sill only about 13 megs

this is what i get in the cmd prompt when i run the batch file:

Checking for required tivo tools and files...
Extracting Tivo image from your Instantcake iso...
1 file(s) moved.
Adding files to your boot disk...
1 file(s) moved.
Created zipper_universal_CD.iso WITHOUT Tivo image.

Modifying your terminal settings for telnetting to your Tivo...
Changing CRLF registry value...
Changing TermType registry value...
Changing BSASDEL registry value...
Done!
Press any key to close this window.

ok after enabling admin mode on msio, i can see this in the window before it closes
Missing terminate volume in the ISO file

Last edited by thenamelessone : 11-08-2009 at 11:48 AM.
thenamelessone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 12:49 PM   #11733
rbautch
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsdimp View Post
I don't have a windows machine to run MISO from. So I translated zipper_isomaker to a unix shell script that runs on FreeBSD so I can build images. The only odd thing about the script is that I cheated and used the iso extraction feature of FreeBSD's tar. Other systems may need to install the so-called "libarchive" version of tar to run this script. Otherwise you have to play the mount the iso game, which requires privs and is extremely system dependent...

I've tested it on one upgrade of my HR10-250 and it seems to work ok, but having feedback from a larger community would be nice. I know this is kind of trailing edge stuff, but maybe somebody can benefit.

It also looks like I had to upload it as a zip file rather than the script. If you don't know how to cope with that, you're likely better off giving this script a pass.

Enjoy

bsdimp
This is pretty cool, thanks! I haven't had a chance to test it yet, but I skimmed through the script, and noticed a few apparent typos:

Code:
ic_iso=`echo instantcase*.iso`
should be:
Code:
 ic_iso=`echo instantcake*.iso`
Code:
iso=`echo mfsalive*.iso`
should be:
Code:
iso=`echo mfslive*.iso`

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

rbautch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 01:28 PM   #11734
JWThiers
Smartypants

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersFan View Post
I thought I would recognize Russ and Gunny again on this 4th anniversary of a tremendous tool that helped so many and to those countless others who have provided support along the way. I think we've proved quite a few people wrong who said this kind of script would be a bad thing and not be supported!

Congrats and THANK YOU!

-Doug
By gosh it has been 4 years, Happy Anniversary (late). You guys STILL are Rock Stars here, in my book.
Old 11-18-2009, 06:17 PM   #11735
rbautch
User

Thanks! Now if only I can convince my wife I need to be treated like a rock star.

or

Old 11-26-2009, 09:38 AM   #11736
bsdimp

Updated zipper_isomaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbautch View Post
This is pretty cool, thanks! I haven't had a chance to test it yet, but I skimmed through the script, and noticed a few apparent typos:
Yes. They are typos for a code path I never tested. thanks for catching them. I've uploaded a new version.

bsdimp
Attached Files
File Type: zip zipper_isomaker-2.zip (1.1 KB, 47 views)
bsdimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 10:22 PM   #11737
a4wanman

For thenamelessone:

I just created a new Zipper Univeral CD ISO the other day. It took me a little while to realize I was trying to create an ISO greater than 300 MB. The free version of Magic ISO will not create an ISO larger than 300 MB.

I used the GUI to add/delete files manually according to the zipper_isomaker.bat file. I was only able to get the size down to 304MB. Using a registerd version of miso.exe, I was able to create the ISO.
a4wanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 12:29 AM   #11738
far_to_go

probably doing something wrong but....

Hi,

I've got a pair of ebay'd hdvr-2 units and I followed the instructions with current downloads of IC 6.4a for the hdvr-2 and the ptvlba image.

It appears to work correctly and I telneted into the systems to complete the hack script.

Ok, here's the problem....

The units work but I cannot record shows because my account status is closed.

Any idea where I went wrong with this?

Thanks!

Alan
far_to_go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 08:40 AM   #11739
LockRob

Hacking the series 3 (or Tivo HD)

Has anyone posted any information on hacking the Tivo HD's? I'd like to be able to extract files to my computer for storage, without the restrictions.
Thanks-
LockRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 09:22 AM   #11740
unclemoosh
I Wish I knew Then..

Quote:
Originally Posted by far_to_go View Post
Hi,

Ok, here's the problem....

The units work but I cannot record shows because my account status is closed.
Do you have valid access cards inserted and have you activated the DVR service with D***. The hacks do not allow for unauthorized service.
TivoWebPlus, mfs_ftp, Galleon, Movieloader, JavaHMO, tivoserver, etc.
unclemoosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 06:31 PM   #11741
awesomeusername

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockRob View Post
Has anyone posted any information on hacking the Tivo HD's? I'd like to be able to extract files to my computer for storage, without the restrictions.
Thanks-
yes

not in this lame forum though

google is your friend
awesomeusername is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 10:48 PM   #11742
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockRob View Post
Thanks-
Do you use TiVo Desktop at all? That and VideoRedo will allow you to save the programs you've archived as MPEG2.
tivoupgrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 06:12 AM   #11743
LockRob

Technically, that is correct. But in my area TWC marks all non-local channels as copy protected, so the number of channels I can archive is vastly limited. I was hoping to use my networked computer as storage, using Tivo desktop, but now I cannot do that and must consider purchasing as additional external storage unit. Seems crazy to me, when I've got three networked computers, a NAS, a media center, and several terabytes of storage space that I could be using instead.
LockRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 11:48 AM   #11744
alonasmith

Clueless

I want to buy my mother a tivo for Christmas. She has basic cable and no landline. Her internet connection is through a wireless broadband card with Verizon wireless. Is there anyway that she would be able to connect with her broadband card?
alonasmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 06:43 PM   #11745
Nugent

Quote:
I thought I would recognize Russ and Gunny again on this 4th anniversary of a tremendous tool that helped so many and to those countless others who have provided support along the way. I think we've proved quite a few people wrong who said this kind of script would be a bad thing and not be supported!

Congrats and THANK YOU!

-Doug
Hear, hear!

The amazing thing to me is that a group of amateur enthusiasts could create robust features that are STILL not provided by TiVo. For example, TiVoWebPlus and CallerID. It was the main reason I signed up for DirecTV. The lack of a comparable HD offering is the main reason I am no longer with DirecTV.
Old 12-21-2009, 10:12 AM   #11746
waynomo
My One Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by alonasmith View Post
I want to buy my mother a tivo for Christmas. She has basic cable and no landline. Her internet connection is through a wireless broadband card with Verizon wireless. Is there anyway that she would be able to connect with her broadband card?
This is probably in the wrong forum as I don't think this is really an underground type issue. If you posted to one of the main forums like the Tivo Help Center you might get more responses.

I am pretty sure this can be done. In the old days I had one computer that connected to the internet and acted as a server. My other computers connected to that and surfed the internet that way. (Easily over 10 years ago before home routers, etc.)

So I am a bit fuzzy on the specifics these days, but you should still be able to accomplish the same thing. I would start by trying to have another computer connect to the internet connected computer and make sure you can surf that way. Then using those same principles connect the Tivo.

I would suspect that your mom's computer has an open Ethernet port so you could connect that way. If a laptop, it probably has wireless so you could connect through that also (or buy an adapter.)

I am sure there are others here that can give you better direction.
waynomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 11:56 PM   #11747
Soapm

Quote:

Congrats and THANK YOU!

-Doug
Great post!!! THANKS!
Soapm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 03:29 PM   #11748
paavola

dvr inactive

Hey all. I think this is a rookie mistake, but it was frustrating so I thought I'd put it on the thread since my searches didn't turn anything useful up.

I built a drive for my Samsung sir-s4120r with zipper using an instantcake 6.4a image. Once everything was done, I could get live TV, but it said dvr inactive. Nothing I did would activate the dvr service. I even went back to a plain vanilla instantcake disk and had the same problem. It turns out that the satellite settings weren't right. I went through the guided setup for satellite again and problem solved!

Anyway, I'm looking forward to finally taking advantage of the full capabilities of my DTV tivo.
paavola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 03:37 PM   #11749
jschweda

In need of some help! My hard drive is dying in my HDVR2 and I am having trouble. I hacked both of my HDVR2s a couple of years ago and havent touched them since. I am trying to run the zipper on a new hard drive. I've already run the InstantCake 6.2a on the drive and everything was successful. Now when I try to run the zipper, after hitting enter at the prompts at bootup, I am getting a prompt that says PTVupgrade /# with a flashing cursor. I dont remember this from the last time and cant seem to get my cdrom mounted so that I can continue. Any suggestions or help is greatly appreciated!!!
jschweda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 06:09 AM   #11750
Wil
Senile Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschweda View Post
cant seem to get my cdrom mounted so that I can continue.
Exactly what command do you enter and what response, if any, do you get?
Wil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 09:08 PM   #11751
richardherr

I have several HDVR2's with single 750GB hard drives, and they are working fine. I have two more HDVR2's that I an trying to upgrade with 1.5TB sata drives with adaptors. I am using one of the adapters on the "approved list". When I run the zipper install it errors out with "Restore failed: error fixing volume list" error. What is the largest drive that anyone has got to work? Is there some changes to the procedure needed for larger drives? I have seen a few posts on using large drives, but not much on how it was done? I understand there is a 1.1TB limit, but will it not use the first 1.1Tb of the drive?

Rich
richardherr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 05:26 PM   #11752
Lord Vader
Dark Lord ofthe Sith

Admittedly I haven't been around here in a while, so I need a reminder of what this problem might be...

I had an HR10-250 that has been deactivated for a year or so but was still connected to allow me to watch its recordings. Well, one of my friend's HDVR2s died, so I sold him this one. DirecTV was kind enough to activate it on his account, so I got it up and running. I shipped it to him, he connects it, it goes through the Powering Up and "TIVO Unleashed" screen, then comes to a blue screen, nothing more. I'm scratching my head to try and remember what the problem might be or if there's something he's not doing right.

Any suggestions?
Old 02-05-2010, 05:59 PM   #11753
T1V0

it's in standby
T1V0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 06:01 PM   #11754
Lord Vader
Dark Lord ofthe Sith

Well, it's not in standby, but I think I now remember what the problem is. I texted him to suggest he change the source setting from 1080i to whatever his TV is, which is most likely 480i.
Old 02-06-2010, 09:07 AM   #11755
rbautch
User

Also make sure he's using the correct output port for his TV. If it's not hi-def, then use the S-video, or yellow composite port.

or

Old 02-06-2010, 09:09 AM   #11756
rbautch
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardherr View Post
I have several HDVR2's with single 750GB hard drives, and they are working fine. I have two more HDVR2's that I an trying to upgrade with 1.5TB sata drives with adaptors. I am using one of the adapters on the "approved list". When I run the zipper install it errors out with "Restore failed: error fixing volume list" error. What is the largest drive that anyone has got to work? Is there some changes to the procedure needed for larger drives? I have seen a few posts on using large drives, but not much on how it was done? I understand there is a 1.1TB limit, but will it not use the first 1.1Tb of the drive?

Rich
I'm not sure what the limit is, but one thing you could try is restore drive image using MFSLive, and then hack it using the Zipper.

or

Old 02-18-2010, 12:19 AM   #11757
FredThompson

Revised post:

I've successfully Zippered a boot drive for a DTivo.

I found the documentation does not state that you'll have to restart the entire process if there is a burp after you start tweak.sh. Rbautch's script decompresses itself then deletes the source file. There doesn't appear to be any fallback if something goes wrong.

I've also found mfstools, at least the version on the InstantCake disc, doesn't seem to play well with Zipper. My units are DTivo receivers DSR7000 and HDVR2, the version before RID chips and I chose version 6.2a.

I tried mfsadd after the initial installation and all I get is the "powering up" screen. Things worked just fine with a single boot disc but no go with 2. I'm now trying the last permutation which is build a single drive, boot it in the DTivo, run Rbautch's mods, reboot, shut down, mfsadd, test.

What is the proper method to add a second drive to a Zipper drive?

Last edited by FredThompson : 02-19-2010 at 12:21 AM.
FredThompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 02:21 PM   #11758
rbautch
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredThompson View Post
Revised post:

I've successfully Zippered a boot drive for a DTivo.

I found the documentation does not state that you'll have to restart the entire process if there is a burp after you start tweak.sh. Rbautch's script decompresses itself then deletes the source file. There doesn't appear to be any fallback if something goes wrong.

I've also found mfstools, at least the version on the InstantCake disc, doesn't seem to play well with Zipper. My units are DTivo receivers DSR7000 and HDVR2, the version before RID chips and I chose version 6.2a.

I tried mfsadd after the initial installation and all I get is the "powering up" screen. Things worked just fine with a single boot disc but no go with 2. I'm now trying the last permutation which is build a single drive, boot it in the DTivo, run Rbautch's mods, reboot, shut down, mfsadd, test.

What is the proper method to add a second drive to a Zipper drive?
Don't know what you mean by "restart the process". You can run tweak.sh over and over again as much as you want. I structured the script to be as clean as possible, so each time you run the script, it clears out everything it installed previously. This is especially important for novices. When it finishes, it deletes rbautch_files.tgz to save space, but when you run tweak.sh again, the script automatically downloads the latest version of rbautch_files.tgz and incorporates the latest versions of all script components. This worked very well when the script was in development and I was adding new features regularly. Users would just need to run tweak.sh everytime they wanted to get the latest of everything. As far as mfsadd is concerned, I've never had a problem using it on a Zippered tivo, and Zipper does nothing that inhibits its use. First I'd check the jumpers on the drives, if they look correct, then try setting them both to cable select. If still no luck, hook up a serial cable and post the console output as the unit boots up. You could also try restoring an image to a 2-drive system using mfstools, and then boot it up as a stock tivo. Then pull the primary drive and run the Zipper on it.

or

Last edited by rbautch : 02-20-2010 at 05:43 PM.
Old 03-01-2010, 09:51 PM   #11759
FredThompson

I meant I had to re-image the hard drive. For some reason, the attempted retrieval of the tgz wouldn't work, with a 404 error. single drive is working just fine. jumpers on both drives are proper or mfsadd couldn't have worked. I'm rebuilding another one this week and will try again to see if this is a hardware-specific issue.
FredThompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 08:36 PM   #11760
qwertypo

SIR-S4080R no audio

So somehow overnight the audio stopped coming from my zippered 4080....

I cranked the volume on it, and I can hear hiss, and the faint sound, but its really faint.

So... before I ebay a replacement model. Should be upgrading to a different unit? Can I easily go HD and still have all the features I love about my zippered tivo??

Please hook me up with some advice!

THANK!!
qwertypo is offline   Reply With Quote