TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-08-2009, 10:03 AM   #11701
rbautch
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bengalfreak View Post
rbautch,

Is fake call no longer part of the zipper? I noticed that my most recently zippered unit hadn't made a "successful" cal in a couple of weeks so I telnet'ed in to run fakecall.tcl manually and it said command was not found. I then did an ffind fakecall.tcl and again it was not found. It is, however, still in the rc.sysinit.author file. What's up?
It should be in your /enhancements directory. I haven't removed it from rbautch_files.tgz.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

rbautch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 11:45 AM   #11702
sllerts
Mac DTivo Fanatic!

Weird. I had the exact same problem last week where I got the no call nag message. The box (HDVR40) was zippered about 1 or 2 months ago, and it hadn't happened until now.

Steve
sllerts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 07:54 AM   #11703
bengalfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbautch View Post
It should be in your /enhancements directory. I haven't removed it from rbautch_files.tgz.

Really, really bizarre that it wasn't. It was in the rbautch_files.tgz archive, but for some reason it didn't get extracted/installed with all of the other files.
Old 08-25-2009, 09:02 PM   #11704
kschauwe

My fake call worked for awhile after i zipper it, then stopped.
I re-zippered my dTivo and it worked for awhile, then stopped again.
Old 09-12-2009, 07:46 AM   #11705
bengalfreak

I am having problems with the Zipper ISO maker. It seems that no matter what program I use to burn the CD with, the disk is not bootable. If I boot from another Linux boot disk (the PTV lba boot disk for example), I can see and access the files on the Zipper boot disk. But when I try to boot from it, it just stops. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-15-2009, 03:39 PM   #11706
bobm68

Equipment Help

I have 4 zippered HDVR2's running 6.2 that are all working great (knock on wood). My problem is that one of my Netgear FA120's has died and replacements are next to impossible to find without paying extortionist pricing. Anyone have some FA120's they would be willing to sell for a reasonable price or know of a currently available usb adapter that works with a 6.2 DTivo? It seems like any threads I find on the subject are so old I just don't trust the info in them. I just hope DTV gets on the stick with the new DTivo unit before my HDVR2's die.
bobm68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 03:49 PM   #11707
MurrayW
Murray

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobm68 View Post
I have 4 zippered HDVR2's running 6.2 that are all working great (knock on wood). My problem is that one of my Netgear FA120's has died and replacements are next to impossible to find without paying extortionist pricing. Anyone have some FA120's they would be willing to sell for a reasonable price or know of a currently available usb adapter that works with a 6.2 DTivo? It seems like any threads I find on the subject are so old I just don't trust the info in them. I just hope DTV gets on the stick with the new DTivo unit before my HDVR2's die.
I have several. I just took 3 DirecTiVo's out of service and think I might have a couple more extra lying around -- 4 or 5 total. Send me a PM with an offer if you or anyone else wants any of them. thanks, Murray
MurrayW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 09:28 PM   #11708
AJ500

I zippered my HDVR2 with 6.2 three years ago. Today, I did a clear & delete everything. That must have been the wrong thing to do as I now can't connect to it over the LAN.

Do I need to pull the drive and brush up on all the steps necessary to re-create the disk again so I can run tserver again?
AJ500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 01:06 PM   #11709
unclemoosh
I Wish I knew Then..

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ500 View Post
I zippered my HDVR2 with 6.2 three years ago. Today, I did a clear & delete everything. That must have been the wrong thing to do as I now can't connect to it over the LAN.

Do I need to pull the drive and brush up on all the steps necessary to re-create the disk again so I can run tserver again?
IIRC, I did this and it cleared the static IP address. You might try using IPSniffer to find it and set the IP back to what it was.

You can also add the displaynet.sh script to your hack directory and this line to your rc.sysinit.author file:
/var/hack/displaynet.sh | out2osd

and it will display your network parameters during starup when it is getting the satellite info.
TivoWebPlus, mfs_ftp, Galleon, Movieloader, JavaHMO, tivoserver, etc.
unclemoosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 07:42 AM   #11710
JWThiers
Smartypants

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ500 View Post

A Serial cable is perfect for getting access to your tivo when you loose LAN connectivity.
Old 09-20-2009, 09:48 AM   #11711
AJ500

Thanks for the replys. Since the disk drive was getting old, I decided to replace it with a new zippered one. I found the ISOs that I used before, so I only had to re-learn the install procedures rather than building the ISO from scratch. Everything went smoothly.

The reason I did the clear & delete was that I was hoping it might correct a "blockiness' I was getting on some recordings. The problem is still there with the new drive. I may have a failing tuner on that HDRV2.
AJ500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 12:02 PM   #11712
bengalfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWThiers View Post
A Serial cable is perfect for getting access to your tivo when you loose LAN connectivity.
If you happen to have a serial port on your computer it does. Many newer computers don't. I made this mistake when i threw away an old tower.
Old 09-21-2009, 02:03 PM   #11713
classicsat
Astute User

You can use those USB serial adapters with serial bash on a TiVo.
classicsat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 01:34 PM   #11714
JWThiers
Smartypants

Quote:
Originally Posted by bengalfreak View Post
If you happen to have a serial port on your computer it does. Many newer computers don't. I made this mistake when i threw away an old tower.
I'm at work so I'm not positive that these are the correct ones (I think you need a usb to db9), but try pricewatch make sure you get the proper gender. or you can get a serial controller card for $10-$20 or if you new PC is a destop there is a possibility that the motherboard has a header for a serial connector on the motherboard but you don't have the backplate connector, they can be had for cheap as well. there are even pc-card solutions for laptops.

If you are going to hack your DTivo being able to use a serial cable to connect is essential, spend the money to get what you need. I guarantee that you will use it at least once if not more.

Last edited by JWThiers : 09-22-2009 at 01:53 PM.
JWThiers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 06:52 PM   #11715
Blue Knight
Tivo Advocate

Help with MRV

I just zippered a new drive for a replacement RCA DVR39, after the tuner on the previous unit went bad. I tried just transfering the drive, but as I found out that resulted in an error 51 message. Having Zippered Drives in the past (always having great success) I figured it was easier to just start from scratch. Well I can not get MRV to work. I zippered the drive and then installed Hackman 7.1.0. However the units do not see each other, my other unit is a Hughes. I then figured I would use the tweak.sh script on both machines to reset all the settings. Although everthing else is working (TivoWebPlus is accessable on both machines over the network, I can telnet and ftp to both) I can not get the MRV going. Can someone tell me if there is a command or a file I can look at to see if the settings are right on the machines. I feel comfortable with the joe editor, telnet and ftp. I can connect by both wired ethernet and serial cable. Any and all help would be appreciated.
James
Old 09-23-2009, 10:16 AM   #11716
FredThompson

I'm about to rebuild some S2 DTiVo units which are sleepered with the zipper. I've a bunch of questions, primarily as it's been years since I did any hacking and I don't remember how to do most of it.

1) Is there a size limit on IDE drives inside Zippered receivers? I last hacked pre-LBA48 fix which meant a maximum of 2 120G drives. My S2s have brackets to take a second drive but it would probably be quieter with less power pull to use a single large drive.

2) The home site for zipper mentions tserver. Are there directions about how best to properly install and configure it? Any support files needed besides the server itself?

3) The last I looked (years ago) TivoWebPlus 2.x did not support the only extension I'd found for rearranging season passes (which was here, not on DDB.). Is this supported now, core function or by extension?

4) Where are instructions about setting a static IP address?

5) Sleepered DTiVos will sometimes record the exact same broadcast on both tuners. Does this still happen with zippered DTiVos?

6) Is there a way to block wishlists from matching on the DirecTV advertising channels?

7) Are the USB 2 drivers faster than the old Sleepered versions? (fingers crossed...)

8) Does the zipper include any kind of support for a DNS redirector such as Dyn-DNS or No-IP?
FredThompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 04:36 PM   #11717
JWThiers
Smartypants

Its been a long time since I answered any technical questions about zipper and DTivo's but question 4 about static IP's, The easiest way to set a static IP is to use a static IP to begin with when you do the zipper the first time. After that TivoWebPlus has (or used to have) a network configuration tab that you could change IP's / use static/Dynamic. there is also a BASH command that you could use after the fact but I don't recall the command at this time, its been WAY too long.
Old 09-23-2009, 08:58 PM   #11718
James Aguirre
Tivo Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredThompson View Post
I'm about to rebuild some S2 DTiVo units which are sleepered with the zipper. I've a bunch of questions, primarily as it's been years since I did any hacking and I don't remember how to do most of it.

1) Is there a size limit on IDE drives inside Zippered receivers? I last hacked pre-LBA48 fix which meant a maximum of 2 120G drives. My S2s have brackets to take a second drive but it would probably be quieter with less power pull to use a single large drive.

2) The home site for zipper mentions tserver. Are there directions about how best to properly install and configure it? Any support files needed besides the server itself?

3) The last I looked (years ago) TivoWebPlus 2.x did not support the only extension I'd found for rearranging season passes (which was here, not on DDB.). Is this supported now, core function or by extension?

4) Where are instructions about setting a static IP address?

5) Sleepered DTiVos will sometimes record the exact same broadcast on both tuners. Does this still happen with zippered DTiVos?

6) Is there a way to block wishlists from matching on the DirecTV advertising channels?

7) Are the USB 2 drivers faster than the old Sleepered versions? (fingers crossed...)

8) Does the zipper include any kind of support for a DNS redirector such as Dyn-DNS or No-IP?
Here are most of the answers.

1) I donít know what the max size is but I purchased a 300 GB drive from Weaknees and it has been running fine in my Hughes S2 Dtivo. The single drive is quieter

2) I donít have the instructions for having it turn on at boot time, but you can use ďhackmanĒ to turn it on from TivoWebPlus. http://www.tivohackman.com/

3) I believe it does, but you should check their home page. Find the link here http://www.tivohackman.com/

4) Zipper prompts you for it in the installation. Use the Zipper instructions which can be found at http://www.mastersav.com/tivo_zipper.html

5) The four I have done do not make duplicates.

6) I do not know this one.

7) I believe they are, but I have not tested them.

8) I donít think so, but I donít know.
Old 09-24-2009, 02:35 PM   #11719
FredThompson

Thanks guys. I'll give it a shot tonight. 300G is plenty large. The 120 Maxtors I have seem rock solid. Those were always very, very stable, even in a Windows PC. Will try a single larger one for noise/heat reduction.
FredThompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 08:31 PM   #11720
darrin75

Ok here goes. I have lba48 disk already burned from awhile back, and I also have 6.2.nrg image from nero. I have all the tools to do this,but what structure do I need. What needs to be renamed. Does the disk image need to be img, or iso. Can I just rip the lba48 & tivo 6.2.mfs or iso to ISO's to create this disk. It makes no sense why I should buy this again, when I have it on disk already, but not sure have to set up or what to rename for the sturture of the file. Thanks
darrin75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 10:22 AM   #11721
TWC_Hater

I have been searching but unable to find an answer and I am sure this is not the correct forum but I am at a loss. So here it goes.

If I have a TivoHD and a series 2 both with wireless adapters, can I watch HD programs recorded on the TivoHD on my Series2? I have an HD tv in both my bedroom and my living room, but I only have one HD Tivo. I want to know if I record HD programming on the Tivo HD, can I then watch it on the series 2 in the bedroom?

Please help or at least direct me in the right direction. Sorry if I have gotten off topic in this particular thread.
TWC_Hater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 05:15 PM   #11722
darrin75

I can anwser that,I am quite a bit experience, but just don't know alot about the software above 6.2a. Not done this in years. YOu can transfer shows to one another MRV if you have anything below 6.3 aka 6.2. Also you not going to be able to that HD contect on standard box, weel maybe not in HD anyway.
darrin75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 04:58 AM   #11723
bengalfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWC_Hater View Post
I have been searching but unable to find an answer and I am sure this is not the correct forum but I am at a loss. So here it goes.

If I have a TivoHD and a series 2 both with wireless adapters, can I watch HD programs recorded on the TivoHD on my Series2? I have an HD tv in both my bedroom and my living room, but I only have one HD Tivo. I want to know if I record HD programming on the Tivo HD, can I then watch it on the series 2 in the bedroom?

Please help or at least direct me in the right direction. Sorry if I have gotten off topic in this particular thread.
You might try starting a thread solely for this question. This thread is talking about hacking DirecTV Tivos. You are not likely to get many answers about a TivoHD since its a good bet most people reading this thread don't have one since it can't be used with satellite.
Old 10-16-2009, 11:29 AM   #11724
SteelersFan
"On Welfare"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnyman View Post
Hacking your 6.2 DirecTivo just got very easy! Rbautch and I have partnered to create a tool that completely automates the "Unguide" and installs his Tivo Enhancements, allowing you to completely hack your Tivo in no time at all. We thought it was the next logical step in Tivo Hacking, and so we proudly present "The Zipper". The Zipper is as easy as Tivo hacking gets! Please note, I will no longer be monitoring the 6.2 to hacked 6.2 thread so if you have questions ask them in THIS one. Support for Rbautch's enhancement script will continue in his original thread.
Many thanks to principal tester Dirac, and beta testers Jasch, Tsunami, and David Platt. Special thanks to Lou Jacob for his guidance throughout the development of The Zipper.
Please note, Rbautch and I will be monitoring this thread very regularly, so PLEASE don't discuss it at "the other place" or fill up our PM Boxes with questions.
DO NOT POST ON DDB ABOUT THE ZIPPER....
I thought I would recognize Russ and Gunny again on this 4th anniversary of a tremendous tool that helped so many and to those countless others who have provided support along the way. I think we've proved quite a few people wrong who said this kind of script would be a bad thing and not be supported!

Congrats and THANK YOU!

-Doug
HR21-700, HR21-100
SteelersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 12:41 PM   #11725
classicsat
Astute User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWC_Hater View Post

Yes, but not directly. You will need a PC in between to convert the HD to SD the Serties 2 can play. See the MHO/HME/TTG forum for details on that.
classicsat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 09:38 AM   #11726
Porterx

Has zipper been updated?

I am running 2 zippered directv tivos.

When they changed the guide format a year or so ago to where some shows that were season passes wouldn't record, I used tivoweb plus to go through my favorite channels weekly and selected shows that wouldn't otherwise be recorded.

Has there been an update to zipper that fixes this problem? If there has, would someone please send me the link to those instructions. I have searched some but this is a giant confusing forum.

Thanks,
Porterx
PTVNet & Zippered
Xterasys XN-121 USB adapter
Porterx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 09:39 PM   #11727
mpost43062

GSOD reboot loop

My DVR40's hard drive died so I went out an purchased a new 320GB hard drive for it. I dusted off my LBA48 boot cd and tools cd with the 6.2 image that I used several years ago to zipper the drive that died.

I zippered the new drive and all seemed fine. I put the drive in the tivo and it got the welcome screen and then the almost done screen for a few seconds. It then showed a Green error screen noting a Severe Error. it then rebooted and kept repeating the process

I have pulled the drive and rezippered it again with the same result.

I verified that all cables are seated properly.

Any suggestions?
mpost43062 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 12:03 AM   #11728
mpost43062

as a follow up to my own post, I was able to get a serial connection and It is showing an error of inconsistent file system.

is that something that can be corrected?

Any help would be appreciated.
mpost43062 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 08:00 AM   #11729
rbautch
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porterx View Post
I am running 2 zippered directv tivos.

When they changed the guide format a year or so ago to where some shows that were season passes wouldn't record, I used tivoweb plus to go through my favorite channels weekly and selected shows that wouldn't otherwise be recorded.

Has there been an update to zipper that fixes this problem? If there has, would someone please send me the link to those instructions. I have searched some but this is a giant confusing forum.

Thanks,
Porterx
The Zipper does not fix this issue. You have to manually reschedule recordings.

or

rbautch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 05:31 PM   #11730
HellFish
I can dress myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porterx View Post

Has there been an update to zipper that fixes this problem? If there has, would someone please send me the link to those instructions.
This thread might solve your problem:
A TivoWebPlus module to fix DTivo SP/SeriesID nightmare