TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Underground
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-19-2008, 08:12 AM   #11521
jbeck22

Hey guys I have a DirecTV tivo (hughes brand) with 6.2a-01-2-351 install from instant cake. I have already ran Zipper and everything went fine. I had to run the set_mrv_name_67.tcl after the fact b/c it never asked me to set the name (that I could tell). When I reboot I still don't see the "Photos and Music" option in directv central. Any ideas why not?

THanks!
jbeck22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 08:57 AM   #11522
ttodd1
Proud Computer Geek

can you ping it, can you get to it via TWP?
Old 10-19-2008, 09:00 AM   #11523
jbeck22

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttodd1 View Post
can you ping it, can you get to it via TWP?
yes TWP, ping, telnet, etc is all working.
Old 10-27-2008, 10:15 AM   #11524
jbeck22

so I think that encryption is still on my tivo. How can I check, turn off and remove it from my existing recordings?

I know I need to find something called ciphercheck, but I'm unclear as to whether or not that will solve my problems. Also I'm having problems finding that tool.

Thanks for help!
DirecTV tivo (hughes brand) with 6.2a-01-2-351 install from instant cake
Old 10-27-2008, 11:54 AM   #11525
unclemoosh
I Wish I knew Then..

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbeck22 View Post
so I think that encryption is still on my tivo. How can I check, turn off and remove it from my existing recordings?

I know I need to find something called ciphercheck, but I'm unclear as to whether or not that will solve my problems. Also I'm having problems finding that tool.

Thanks for help!
DirecTV tivo (hughes brand) with 6.2a-01-2-351 install from instant cake
If after you loaded the Instantcake image you didn't patch your tivoapp (or run a script that did), then encryption is still on and your recordings are encrypted.

You can run Superpatch to stop the encryption, or manually patch your tivoapp to remove it. There is also a tool to remove the encryption from your existing recordings.

Google is your best friend. Try terms like superpatch, ciphercheck, csoscout and s2_unscramble for resources that exist here and on other forums.
TivoWebPlus, mfs_ftp, Galleon, Movieloader, JavaHMO, tivoserver, etc.
unclemoosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 02:16 PM   #11526
ebetzler

Hr10-250

I have zippered 2 SD-tivos in the past (2yrs ago), and they are working great.
I just picked up an HR10-250 that I would like to do the same, but am out of touch with the latest stuff. I have read extensive forum posts and have two very simple questions:
1) What version of TivoSW do I use? (3.1.5, 6.3, 6.4...i am confused, too many)
2) Is the zipper and enhancement script still a good option for me?
[SD-DVR40/300GB/265hrs/zippered]
ebetzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 07:40 PM   #11527
jbeck22

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemoosh View Post
If after you loaded the Instantcake image you didn't patch your tivoapp (or run a script that did), then encryption is still on and your recordings are encrypted.

You can run Superpatch to stop the encryption, or manually patch your tivoapp to remove it. There is also a tool to remove the encryption from your existing recordings.

Google is your best friend. Try terms like superpatch, ciphercheck, csoscout and s2_unscramble for resources that exist here and on other forums.
thanks for the info...i'll take a look at those tonight and see what I can find. Thanks again!
Old 10-29-2008, 08:27 PM   #11528
TivoFamily

250 GB Zippered Drive Failed replaced with 320

My Zippered DTIVO with a 250GB drive failed. I did not want to loose all the stuff on there so I did dd_rescue on the a new 320GB drive. The Tivo is back up and running, but I think the new drive is only using the original 250 GB of capacity. It shows 220 hours of capacity, but I think 320 GB should yield about 280 or so. Is there a way to keep all the recordings but take advantage of all the extra capacity?

The help I found on dd_rescue mentioned that I might have to bless the drive, but I was not sure if that was the way to go with a zippered drive. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
TivoFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 10:26 PM   #11529
Matt L

I don't think the image was expanded, so you only see what the original drive had. I've used:

mfsbackup -Tao - /dev/hdc | mfsrestore -r 4 -s 127 -xzpi - /dev/hda

with good results.
Matt L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 08:38 AM   #11530
unclemoosh
I Wish I knew Then..

Quote:
Originally Posted by TivoFamily View Post
Is there a way to keep all the recordings but take advantage of all the extra capacity?

Thanks.
To expand the drive you can run mfsadd -x
TivoWebPlus, mfs_ftp, Galleon, Movieloader, JavaHMO, tivoserver, etc.
unclemoosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 08:04 PM   #11531
ylafont

Activating Tivo Service

Ok. I have not performed any TiVo modifications in a long, long time, in a really long time. I was happy with my sat-60, I figured if it is not broke; don’t fix it, until it died. I took some time to read the forums just to bring myself up to date and had decided to perform the upgrade with Instantcake 6.3 and a copy of Zipper on a Hughes hr10-250 that I have had for the longest, but never used.

First, I want to say thank you to everyone on the forum for the information I have found thus far. I would not be able to get this far without this assistance, and although my journey on this endevor has been for the most part painless, I have run into a couple of items that have caused a bit of confusion for me or at least items that did not behave as expected. The first thing I noticed is that Zipper asks for an IP address but does not activate the USB port when the drive is imaged for the first time on the pc. Does any one know why? Or do I have an old copy? I saw a few questions to this on the forums but no clear answer.

After, a while I was able to connect the serial cable to the back of the unit and run the sh tweak.sh command, I also notice the Zipper changes the baud rate to 115200 and does not install the required USB drivers on the initial image copy from the PC. Since the USB drivers were not installed in was unable to successfully execute the script.

insmod: /lib/modules/usbcore.o: No such file or directory
insmod: /lib/modules/ehci-hcd.o: No such file or directory
insmod: /lib/modules/usb-ohci.o: No such file or directory

Once I copied the USB files over the serial cable and rebooted the network became active and the scripted updated and ran flawlessly. Thank god!

I am now trying to get the TiVo function working and cannot find my next clue, the receiver informs me to “Please Activate your Tivo Service ” You service is not currently active. To activate, please call DIRECV customer service ….. go to DIRECTV central and select “Message & settings”>”Setting”>”Phone & Network”>”Connect to the DVR service”. When I do that, the TiVo reboots. I am missing something?

I think this is my last step in the process, if anyone can point me in the right direction, I would appreciate it. Thank you in advance.
ylafont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 08:21 PM   #11532
Da Goon
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ylafont View Post
I am now trying to get the TiVo function working and cannot find my next clue, the receiver informs me to “Please Activate your Tivo Service ” You service is not currently active. To activate, please call DIRECV customer service ….. go to DIRECTV central and select “Message & settings”>”Setting”>”Phone & Network”>”Connect to the DVR service”. When I do that, the TiVo reboots. I am missing something?
see here.
Da Goon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 08:06 AM   #11533
ylafont

Activating Tivo Service

Thanks for the tip Da Goon, I will try this tonight when i arrive. i am suuming the Fakecall.tcl is out outdate on the Tivo since i have creat this file

#!/tvbin/tivosh
set db [dbopen]
RetryTransaction {
set obj [db $db open /State/GeneralConfig]
catch {dbobj $obj remove Configured}
dbobj $obj add Configured 1
dbobj $obj add Configured 257
dbobj $obj add Configured 513
}

is there a new fakecall.tcl file out there? that i can replace as well?
Old 11-06-2008, 07:50 AM   #11534
Nugent

All Hail, Our Overlord Gunnyman!

This thread now has over a million views, and over 11,000 postings!

That must be some kind of record.

Mainly, it speaks of the great service rendered by Gunnyman and the others (rbautch, Da Goon, Portland Paw, et al) who laid the foundation for his Zipper, and continue to support its users.

I firmly believe that the availability of DTiVo hacking tools has done a lot for DTV customer retention, and the image of the TiVo brand. I remain puzzled as to why all the features are not provided out-of-the-box. When SA TiVo users marvel at remote scheduling I show them TiVoWebPlus, Hackman and other features and they are totally blown away.

Gunny, a long time ago I said I would buy you a BBQ lunch - the offer still stands.
Old 11-06-2008, 08:25 AM   #11535
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

I still like BBQ
I can't believe this thread is still going. I expected total saturation of The Zipper a long long time ago.
Old 11-07-2008, 09:36 PM   #11536
ylafont

Activating Tivo Service

#!/tvbin/tivosh
set db [dbopen]
RetryTransaction {
}

this script produse the following error result,

TIVOHD-TiVo# sh fakecall2.tcl
fakecall2.tcl: RetryTransaction: command not found
fakecall2.tcl: catch: command not found
fakecall2.tcl: dbobj: command not found
fakecall2.tcl: line 9: syntax error near unexpected token `}'
fakecall2.tcl: line 9: `}'

shoul di be running it in a specific directory? please let me know. trying to complete this.
Old 11-07-2008, 09:52 PM   #11537
Da Goon
Registered Abuser

Quote:
#!/tvbin/tivosh
set db [dbopen]
RetryTransaction {
}

this script produse the following error result,

TIVOHD-TiVo# sh fakecall2.tcl
fakecall2.tcl: RetryTransaction: command not found
fakecall2.tcl: catch: command not found
fakecall2.tcl: line 9: syntax error near unexpected token `}'
fakecall2.tcl: line 9: `}'

shoul di be running it in a specific directory? please let me know. trying to complete this.
tivosh not sh. it's a tcl script.
Da Goon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 10:05 PM   #11538
ylafont

Activating Tivo Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Goon View Post
tivosh not sh. it's a tcl script.
Thanks for quick reply, the script executed without any problems but it did not accomplish a thing. i still have the "Please activate You DVR Service" screen. do you have any other ideas?

I also just notice that the Directv Account statucs says "account closed", all my channels are up and running so i am assuming that it it not an directv problem, can these to items be related?

Last edited by ylafont : 11-07-2008 at 10:32 PM. Reason: more info
Old 11-08-2008, 06:26 AM   #11539
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

Quote:
Thanks for quick reply, the script executed without any problems but it did not accomplish a thing. i still have the "Please activate You DVR Service" screen. do you have any other ideas?

I also just notice that the Directv Account statucs says "account closed", all my channels are up and running so i am assuming that it it not an directv problem, can these to items be related?
did you reboot the tivo afterward?
Fakecall's changes to MFS don't take effect until the TiVo reboots.
Old 11-08-2008, 09:41 AM   #11540
ylafont

Activating Tivo Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnyman View Post
did you reboot the tivo afterward?
Fakecall's changes to MFS don't take effect until the TiVo reboots.
Yeap, I rebooted several times, just to make sure.
Old 11-08-2008, 10:01 AM   #11541
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

sounds like you need to call DTv and have them re-authorize your Tivo.
Or you can do it on their site.
Old 11-08-2008, 01:53 PM   #11542
DBCooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbautch View Post
You wouldn't be the first. Try this. DirecTV will eventually phase out the HD DTivos in favor of an mpeg-4 version. I even heard you'll get a free swap out when that happens, but the new one won't be a Tivo!
And it won't be yours to own. It will be a "no charge" leased box that must be returned when you close your account. One poor lady had with a horrendous DirecTV bill when she finally got back into her home after the hurricane and found the receiver destroyed.
DBCooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 07:42 PM   #11543
ylafont

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnyman View Post
sounds like you need to call DTv and have them re-authorize your Tivo.
Or you can do it on their site.
Well! this did not work, Directc Re-authorise the tivo, had me pull the access card and reboot the unit. still the unit continues to displayt "ACCOUNT CLOSED" and does not let me activate.

All my channels are up and running, I also do not anything that i have missed. Is there any other item i should check to see if i can get this to record again? please advise.
Old 11-12-2008, 10:13 AM   #11544
Matt L

Have you tried re-hitting it yourself from the web site? Is it listed? I've had good luck reauthorizing online.
Matt L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 10:54 AM   #11545
ylafont

Unfortunatly, Directv does not offer web service for bussiness units. The only way to authorize it is via the phone. Which i did twice and rebooted twice.
Old 11-16-2008, 09:05 PM   #11546
FentonMcD

Can't get my WUSB11 to work

OK, I acquired a SD-DVR40 from a friend. It had died. I was able to load a 6.2 image onto a new hard drive and brought it back to life. I then used zipper and superpatch to get the system networked. I'm using the WUSB11 V2.8.

Everything was working. So, I proceeded to upgrade to 6.4a. Using installSw.itcl, I updated the DVR to 6.4a. Right after it rebooted, I was able to ping the device, but not able to telnet.

So, after reading many forums, I re-zippered the drive. Now, I can't get it to network. vnetusba.o is loaded and is active. The device is getting initialized, however, it appears that it is not being read correctly because the MAC address is wrong in the ifconfig output.

If I unload usb-ohci.o, the system panics. If I removed the WUSB11, the system panics. It almost acts like the drivers are bad, but they were working before I zippered, as evident by the ability to ping.

BTW, this is the second machine that I've tried to attached the WUSB11. My first machines was a SIR-S4120 (it was already 6.4a). The symptoms on both machines are identical (as indicated from ifconfig and the MAC address). I've been using the same zipper for each of these machines.

The version of zipper I'm using it 4.6. I've not tried to run tweak. In my previous effort with 6.4a, I tried to run the backport drivers. I would get them to properly read the device, but couldn't get the MFS to properly initialize the device for the network.

UPDATE: After further investigations and several tries, I've now discovered that I need to monte the kernel that came with 6.4a with a killhdinit kernel (which comes with zipper). So, that's my next course of action.

UPDATE 2: OK, monte works for enabling the wireless network on 6.4a. Also, 26-key WEP can also be enabled through the tivo app once monte is used. So, I'm happy and can now go to bed. These forums are really great -- lots of data you just have to know where to look (and what to type in Google ;-)

Last edited by FentonMcD : 11-19-2008 at 12:53 AM. Reason: Final Solution
FentonMcD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 12:22 AM   #11547
icktheslick

I have a Philips DSR708. Since signing up for Vonage, I have discovered that my DirecTv DSR708 Tivo does NOT allow communication with Tivo to occur over digital phone lines. (incidently, no problem with it calling Directv, apparently). This means that I have a ticking time bomb on my hands. It would appear that my only good option is to "upgrade" the software, and perhaps make it networkable in the process. (No way do I ever want to go back to AT&T. That much is certain.) I have ordered an Ethernet-to-USB adapter, and am fully committed at this point. As chronicled below, it appears that the zipper script is referencing a somewhat different installation process that what I’m experiencing. The script says I can install the target hard drive in any location, and then specify the location later. The installation running off of the CD 1) makes the statement that this is not true, and then 2) locks up. Has anyone ran into this? Chronicled below are some notes I took along the way. If anyone can help, I’d greatly appreciate it…

…After unzipping the instantcake-IC2-dsr704-6.2a-01-2-301.iso file (and ptvlba48-4.04DD.iso wile I was at it…) and placing these in the zipper_tools directory, I re-ran zipper_isomaker.bat and….
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Checking for required tivo tools and files...
Extracting Tivo image from your Instantcake iso...
Adding files to your boot disk...
Created zipper_universal_CD.iso WITH Tivo image.

Modifying your terminal settings for telnetting to your Tivo...
Changing CRLF registry value...
Changing TermType registry value...
Changing BSASDEL registry value...
Done!
Press any key to close this window.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
….and zipper_universal_CD.iso was created…..

……So now when I boot off of the newly created CD, after hitting <enter> for the first prompt, I end up with …

This is a modified version of the PTVupgrade LBA48 CD with developer extensions discussed and inspired by the good folks at ************.com.

Begin by hitting <enter> and use with standard upgrade guides if desired.

Additional choices:

Type CDROM, CDRIVE, FLOPPY or LDRIVE to mount respective device and auto-launch nsts-framework installer from that particular location.

Type PTVbake-spacial to run the InstantCake companion script; it is expected that you have a standard InstantCake CD handy and that your CD-ROM is connected to primary IDE master, and target drives are connected as secondary master and slave. These values can be easily changed by editing the /bin/PTVbake special script, but these changes will not be permanent as script is loaded into ramdisk. Please hit <enter> to continue !
………………..however, when I press ENTER, nothing and I mean nothing, happens. No LEDs light up, and anything I type on the keyboard is ignored, with power cycle being the only recourse. Now, my CD is actually the secondary master, and my target hard drive is connected as the primary slave. The zipper script instructions seems to suggest, in step 3, that the CD and hard drive can be located anywhere at all, as long as you told the install software where. In actual practice, this is NOT what was suggested by the installer as shown by the above paragraph.

As this point, I need to determine my next move….
icktheslick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 12:24 AM   #11548
Lord Vader
Dark Lord ofthe Sith

I've had Vonage for 2 1/2 years and have NEVER had a problem w/ my DTIVOs connecting via the Internet or communicating w/ each other.
Old 11-29-2008, 05:54 AM   #11549
bengalfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Vader View Post
I've had Vonage for 2 1/2 years and have NEVER had a problem w/ my DTIVOs connecting via the Internet or communicating w/ each other.

Huge numbers of people have.
Old 11-29-2008, 11:35 AM   #11550
icktheslick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Vader View Post
I think the key phrase there might be "via the Internet." My concern is that if I manually upgrade my software in a legit fashion, and configure it to "phone home" over internet rather than over the actual phone line, that they'll downgrade my firmware to something that does not support a direct internet connection, which is where I'm at now. One time I upgraded my hard drive, and later discovered that either Tivo or direcTv had subsequently upgraded my software. That was back when we had also been experiencing lockups with version 6.4e (I think that was the version...) and the new hard drive came with, like, 6.4a or something. I guess they want everyone to be at 6.4e, because shortly thereafter, it was back, but the lockups don't occur anymore for whatever reason. I'm actually now even sure who does the upgrading, Tivo or Directv. Forgive me for being a newbie, but for the moment, it sounds like the zipper prevents the phone home from occurring altogether. What actually happens when the unit connects with tivo? Why does it need to connect? Can TV listings be updated over the network (once I get the USB adapter in place with new firmware installed)?
icktheslick is offline   Reply With Quote