TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Underground
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-25-2007, 07:45 PM   #10321
cr33p

Hey everyone, I am currently loading a image to a new drive with mfstools, do i need to boot the drive in the tivo before zippering it or can I just reboot with the zipper and go for it?
cr33p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 08:06 PM   #10322
CrashHD
I am the me.

The only reason to do that would be if you wanted to make a phone call before hacking. Other than that, I can't think of any reasons not to install image/-zipper in one shot.
Old 04-25-2007, 08:09 PM   #10323
cr33p

Well my image is too large to get on to the zipper disc, and the target drive is 40 gigs. Preety small, and from what I have been informed the zipper will enlargen the swap space assuming that it has a larger destination drive.
Old 04-25-2007, 10:46 PM   #10324
cr33p

Help anyone, I am about to just give up on this stuff, if only I had a larger drive, well I was finally able to create a zipper disc with my larger image, I finally got it to sucessfully load to the drive, I was finally able to get the hacks to copy to the newly imaged drive, and I finally have a bash prompt, man I thought I was scott free. Now when I type "cd /hacks; sh tweak.sh" I get an error

execvp: No such file or directory

Did my zipper disc lie and just say it copied the hacks?
Old 04-26-2007, 12:33 AM   #10325
JWThiers
Smartypants

Quote:
Originally Posted by cr33p
Help anyone, I am about to just give up on this stuff, if only I had a larger drive, well I was finally able to create a zipper disc with my larger image, I finally got it to sucessfully load to the drive, I was finally able to get the hacks to copy to the newly imaged drive, and I finally have a bash prompt, man I thought I was scott free. Now when I type "cd /hacks; sh tweak.sh" I get an error

execvp: No such file or directory

Did my zipper disc lie and just say it copied the hacks?
First make sure you didn't use any CAPS in the command sequence. Second If the command was done correctly and you still have problems try
Code:
cd /hacks
ls
that is a lower case L. There should be a file called tweak.sh there. then try
Code:
sh tweak.sh

Old 04-26-2007, 02:29 PM   #10326
Popvideo

ok. newbie question. i have previously hacked my HR10 with Zipper. then ran slicer to goto 6.3 and messed up the hacks. i've gotten a serial cable and a USB adapter (i have a Mac laptop) and want to go into the HR10 and see if i can rehack. i've searched this site for the last 2 hours and can't find what i have to do to see my DTivo via the serial cable.

any help for this poor mac addict would be appreciated.

also, i want to hack my other HR10 and want to know if that is possible to do without pulling the drive (meaning via the serial cable). anybody know if that is possible?

thanks for the help,
popvideo

Last edited by Popvideo : 04-26-2007 at 02:43 PM. Reason: used slicer for 6.3 not 6.2
Popvideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 09:14 PM   #10327
cr33p

Ok so I finally get the image loaded on to my new drive, finally get the damn zipper to copy successfully, then I finally get my bash prompt, and can find the hacks where they are supposed to be on the drive, I load the tweak script everything is fine it finishes, reboots and now no more telnet or ftp etc etc etc. Did it change some usb drivers? And i even went as far as to change the adapter from my dub e100 to the linksys model. Any ideas???
Old 04-26-2007, 11:02 PM   #10328
JWThiers
Smartypants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popvideo
ok. newbie question. i have previously hacked my HR10 with Zipper. then ran slicer to goto 6.3 and messed up the hacks. i've gotten a serial cable and a USB adapter (i have a Mac laptop) and want to go into the HR10 and see if i can rehack. i've searched this site for the last 2 hours and can't find what i have to do to see my DTivo via the serial cable.
Read the wiki (see my sig)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Popvideo
also, i want to hack my other HR10 and want to know if that is possible to do without pulling the drive (meaning via the serial cable). anybody know if that is possible?
Nope, you always need to pull the drive for the initial hack.
Old 04-26-2007, 11:27 PM   #10329
Popvideo

I was afraid of that. i did go to the wiki and it talked about Hyperterminal (PC) and I have a mac. i've tried to connect using the settings in the geocities page and no joy. I guess the only way to get this to work is to re-Zipper.

Another question, I want to install Zipper over my original drive on a standard def DirecTivo. do i need to buy another instant cake for that dvr or does the Zipper have what i need already?

thanks for the help. this is frustrating when you don't know what you are doing. <grin>

popvideo
Old 04-27-2007, 03:35 AM   #10330
ForrestB

If you're using a Mac, then instead of using Hyperterminal you should be using terminal, which is part of OSX in your Utilities folder. After starting terminal, just type
telnet -K ipaddress[enter]
to get the bash prompt

The HR10-250 uses different Tivo software than the SD DirecTivo's - so you'll either need to buy the corrrect instacake for your SD DirecTivo, or just use MFSTools 2 or MFSTools Live to make a backup image before Zippering. If you're not installing a new hard drive, then you don't need to reimage the Tivo drive - just put the hard drive in your PC and run the Zipper. This is all explained in Step 2 here Zipper
ForrestB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 09:03 AM   #10331
rbautch
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cr33p
Ok so I finally get the image loaded on to my new drive, finally get the damn zipper to copy successfully, then I finally get my bash prompt, and can find the hacks where they are supposed to be on the drive, I load the tweak script everything is fine it finishes, reboots and now no more telnet or ftp etc etc etc. Did it change some usb drivers? And i even went as far as to change the adapter from my dub e100 to the linksys model. Any ideas???
Since the drivers are installed while the drive is still in the pc, the enhancement script skips the installation of the drivers - it looks for a flag file called /zipperusb_flag, and skips the driver installation if it's there. Can you confirm this (i.e. did the script ask you if you wanted to install usb 2.0 drivers? - it shouldn't have). The only other part of the enhancement script that might foul your connection would be the modifications made to the usb.map file. Examine that file and make sure it has an entry for your adapter. If you can't connect, you'll either need a serial cable or you'll need to pull the drive and mount it in your PC.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

rbautch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 02:12 PM   #10332
BigBearf

Quote:
If you're using a Mac, then instead of using Hyperterminal you should be using terminal, which is part of OSX in your Utilities folder. After starting terminal, just type
telnet -K ipaddress[enter]
to get the bash prompt
ForestB,
I use the terminal all the time using the telnet -K "IP address" command via wireless G bridge to HR10 using a FA120 adapter. I have a USB serial cable, null modem adapter and gender changer.

Is it possible to use terminal and the USB serial cable to the HR10 and if so anything specific either hardware or software wise that needs to be addressed. It sure would be easier to use the laptop rather than the ancient Dell to access the HR10 serially.

Thanks,
BigBearf
BigBearf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 05:26 PM   #10333
cr33p

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbautch
Since the drivers are installed while the drive is still in the pc, the enhancement script skips the installation of the drivers - it looks for a flag file called /zipperusb_flag, and skips the driver installation if it's there. Can you confirm this (i.e. did the script ask you if you wanted to install usb 2.0 drivers? - it shouldn't have). The only other part of the enhancement script that might foul your connection would be the modifications made to the usb.map file. Examine that file and make sure it has an entry for your adapter. If you can't connect, you'll either need a serial cable or you'll need to pull the drive and mount it in your PC.
I do not have a serial cable to check what has been changed or altered. Since I have been working at reloading multiple drives to multiple tivos I will most likely just start over. But one thing that is consistently happening to me while zippering is when it copies over the hacks to the drive I recieve a cp error input/output error, and it continues and finishes. I get bash acess but when I load the tweak script i recieve an error about files untarring, I then just ftp them over to the directory and all seems to work just fine, minus the one drive that once it rebooted now lost network connection. I have even tried different drives and different zipper discs, maybe the files are corrupted that are being copied to the zipper disc?

When you clear and delete all, does it basically wipe the drive clean I.E get rid of all hacks etc?? I recieved a new 6.2a image for my dsr, but the person who gave it to me said that it includes hacks, I wasnt aware that you could image a drive and that it would copy hacks etc?? If so couldnt I get one drive set up exactly as I want and then image it for future use?

On a side note. with the new TWP there is no longer the netconfig screen, how do I change the values? I need to alter the DNS to fix the NPL and how slow it is.

Thanks
Old 04-27-2007, 06:07 PM   #10334
grins

recent probs with MRV

I had a zippered HDVR2 and a zippered SD-DVR80. MRV worked fine. Back when DST changed, I found BTUx9's awesome script to update both of them to 6.2a. It worked like a charm. I hadn't used MRV since that time, til last week.

Now, the two TiVos are aware of each other, but when I select either TiVo from the other's now playing list, I get an error screen. On the HDVR2, it says "Programs cannot be transferred from the dvr80 DVR to the XXXX dvr because the XXXX dvr is not enabled for transfers." where xxxx is the last four chars of the HDVR2 service ID.

The dvr80 says "Programs cannot be transferred from the XXXX DVR to the YYYY DVR because the XXXX DVR does not yet recognize the YYYY DVR." where XXXX is still the last four chars of the HDVR2 SID, and YYYY is the last four chars of the dvr80 SID.

Should I re-zipper? re-run tweak.sh? run set_mrv_name.tcl?

In fact, I look back and find I installed the zipper back in January, 2006. Any reason not to re-zipper? That gets newer versions of the various hacks, yes? Can I just zipper on top of the existing drive/partition?

thanks, y'all, the various TiVo pioneers, especially Gunny, rbautch, BTUx9 and so on :-)

edit to remove commentary directed to another thread
Old 04-27-2007, 06:12 PM   #10335
rbautch
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by grins
I had a zippered HDVR2 and a zippered SD-DVR80. MRV worked fine. Back when DST changed, I found BTUx9's awesome script to update both of them to 6.2a. It worked like a charm. I hadn't used MRV since that time, til last week.

Now, the two TiVos are aware of each other, but when I select either TiVo from the other's now playing list, I get an error screen. On the HDVR2, it says "Programs cannot be transferred from the dvr80 DVR to the XXXX dvr because the XXXX dvr is not enabled for transfers." where xxxx is the last four chars of the HDVR2 service ID.

The dvr80 says "Programs cannot be transferred from the XXXX DVR to the YYYY DVR because the XXXX DVR does not yet recognize the YYYY DVR." where XXXX is still the last four chars of the HDVR2 SID, and YYYY is the last four chars of the dvr80 SID.

Should I re-zipper? re-run tweak.sh? run set_mrv_name.tcl?

In fact, I look back and find I installed the zipper back in January, 2006. Any reason not to re-zipper? That gets newer versions of the various hacks, yes? Can I just zipper on top of the existing drive/partition?

thanks, y'all, the various TiVo pioneers, especially Gunny, rbautch, BTUx9 and so on :-)

edit to remove commentary directed to another thread
You need to apply tivoapp patches to enable MRV/HMO.

or

Old 04-27-2007, 06:24 PM   #10336
grins

Which will happen if I re-zipper, right? It's not a big deal to pull the drive, and that would update all the hacks, too. Seems like a win-win to me.

to re-zipper, do I just pull the drive, boot from the master zipper CD, mount and /cdrom/zipper? Or do I need to do some kind of uninstall before I zipper?

t

Last edited by grins : 04-27-2007 at 06:31 PM.
grins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 06:25 PM   #10337
grins

oh, and thanks for the super fast response, rbautch!

t
Old 04-27-2007, 09:39 PM   #10338
JWThiers
Smartypants

Quote:
Which will happen if I re-zipper, right? It's not a big deal to pull the drive, and that would update all the hacks, too. Seems like a win-win to me.

to re-zipper, do I just pull the drive, boot from the master zipper CD, mount and /cdrom/zipper? Or do I need to do some kind of uninstall before I zipper?

t
make sure you use the newest version of zipper and make sure you have the 6.2a superpatch.
Old 04-28-2007, 08:09 AM   #10339
grins

Question uh-oh

check and check, downloaded all the files specified by the zipper instructions, made sure superpatch_62a.tcl was there and ended up on the CD.

unplugged all drives on the PC, added hdvr2's drive as hda, booted up, mounted the cdrom, ran zipper. seemed to work.

booted hdvr2, I got the reboot from firstboot_flag. Next boot, I see rc.sysinit being executed on the log from the serial port console, but I get no shell prompt on the serial port. I telnet in, get a response (since this is a re-zipper, I see the colored machine identifying prompt, like "hdvr2-TiVo#" rather than "bash-2.02#") but the shell is somehow crippled.

typing "sh tweak.sh" from within the hacks directory puts the cursor on a blank line after the command I just typed in, but nothing happens, it just sits there. Eventually I hit ctrl-c and I get a command prompt again.

ls, vi, bash do the same thing. cd, pwd, "for i in *; do echo $i; done", cat work as I expect. is there some support file for busybox that I'm missing?

Trying to get back on line with the full zipper functionality, I'm hoping y'all can help. Thanks!
:-)

t
Old 04-28-2007, 09:14 AM   #10340
Gunnyman
Peekols

did you unset crlf before telnetting in?
Old 04-28-2007, 09:28 AM   #10341
grins

terminal settings on teraterm show it as a vt100 with receive and send as CR.

hitting return on each of the other commands does exactly as I expect, i.e. cd /hacks gives a command prompt immediately below the previous command prompt.
Old 04-28-2007, 10:48 AM   #10342
grins

more data. sh seems to work! I looked into tweak.sh, and the first thing it does is call tweak_uninstall.sh if the enhancements dir exists.

The dir does exist, so I did sh tweak_uninstall.sh from the hacks dir, and it proceeded to do an uninstall. I then call tweak.sh again, it it does the same thing as before, long pause, nothing happening.

here's my ENV, if that helps

BASH=/bin/bash
BASH_VERSINFO=([0]="2" [1]="02" [2]="0" [3]="1" [4]="release" [5]="i686-pc-linux-gnu")
BASH_VERSION='2.02.0(1)-release'
DEBUG_BOARD=false
DIRSTACK=()
EMERGENCY_REINSTALL=0
EUID=0
GROUPS=()
HDA_ID=Y343WATE
HDB_ID=Unknown
HISTFILE=//.bash_history
HISTFILESIZE=500
HISTSIZE=500
HOME=/
HOSTNAME='(none)'
HOSTTYPE=i686
IFS='
'
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/lib
MACHTYPE=i686-pc-linux-gnu
MAILCHECK=60
MFS_DEVICE=/dev/hda10
MODEM_DEVICE=/dev/cua1
MODEM_REV=F
MODEM_TYPE=Si2433
OLDPWD=/tvbin
OPTERR=1
OPTIND=1
OSTYPE=linux-gnu
PATH=./:.:/utils:/bin:/sbin:/tvbin:/tivobin:/busybox
PIPESTATUS=([0]="0")
PPID=271
PROMVERSION='

TiVo p0 version 1.18'
PS1='\s-\v\$ '
PS2='> '
PS4='+ '
PWD=/hacks
SHELL=/bin/sh
SHELLOPTS=braceexpand:hashall:histexpand:monitor:history:int eractive-comments:emacs
SHLVL=3
SwSystem=6.2-01-2
TERM=linux
TIVO_REMOTE=TIVO
TIVO_ROOT=
TV_STD=NTSC
UID=0
_=teg.txt
dsscon=true
i=usbmap_script.sh
root=/dev/hda7
upgradesoftware=false
varpartition=/dev/hda9
Old 04-28-2007, 12:13 PM   #10343
grins

sh -x tells me it hangs on the clear stmt on line three.

dir, cat, cd, pwd, echo in busybox work, but ls, which, clear do not.

Does the zipper script on the universal cd not overwrite things if they're already there?

Maybe I should pull the drive, remove /busybox, and try zipper again?

t
Old 04-28-2007, 01:58 PM   #10344
rbautch
User

Quote:
more data. sh seems to work! I looked into tweak.sh, and the first thing it does is call tweak_uninstall.sh if the enhancements dir exists.

The dir does exist, so I did sh tweak_uninstall.sh from the hacks dir, and it proceeded to do an uninstall. I then call tweak.sh again, it it does the same thing as before, long pause, nothing happening.

here's my ENV, if that helps

BASH=/bin/bash
BASH_VERSINFO=([0]="2" [1]="02" [2]="0" [3]="1" [4]="release" [5]="i686-pc-linux-gnu")
BASH_VERSION='2.02.0(1)-release'
DEBUG_BOARD=false
DIRSTACK=()
EMERGENCY_REINSTALL=0
EUID=0
GROUPS=()
HDA_ID=Y343WATE
HDB_ID=Unknown
HISTFILE=//.bash_history
HISTFILESIZE=500
HISTSIZE=500
HOME=/
HOSTNAME='(none)'
HOSTTYPE=i686
IFS='
'
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/lib
MACHTYPE=i686-pc-linux-gnu
MAILCHECK=60
MFS_DEVICE=/dev/hda10
MODEM_DEVICE=/dev/cua1
MODEM_REV=F
MODEM_TYPE=Si2433
OLDPWD=/tvbin
OPTERR=1
OPTIND=1
OSTYPE=linux-gnu
PATH=./:.:/utils:/bin:/sbin:/tvbin:/tivobin:/busybox
PIPESTATUS=([0]="0")
PPID=271
PROMVERSION='

TiVo p0 version 1.18'
PS1='\s-\v\$ '
PS2='> '
PS4='+ '
PWD=/hacks
SHELL=/bin/sh
SHELLOPTS=braceexpand:hashall:histexpand:monitor:history:int eractive-comments:emacs
SHLVL=3
SwSystem=6.2-01-2
TERM=linux
TIVO_REMOTE=TIVO
TIVO_ROOT=
TV_STD=NTSC
UID=0
_=teg.txt
dsscon=true
i=usbmap_script.sh
root=/dev/hda7
upgradesoftware=false
varpartition=/dev/hda9
Another user had the same problem a few weeks ago, and it turned out to be a corrupted busybox directory caused by copying or deleting the symlinks that point to the busybox binary. Try searching for the thread that has the discussion, but the fix was to mount the drive in your pc, and manually delete the entire busybox directory with rm -rf /tivo/busybox. You can also try running the help switch after the troubled commands, like
Code:
./clear --help
If the help information for another command comes up, then you know it's the busybox symlink problem.

or

Last edited by rbautch : 04-28-2007 at 02:14 PM.
Old 04-28-2007, 04:31 PM   #10345
Popvideo

ok. i tried to telnet into the tivo and get this error:

"Dads-Computer:~ dad$ telnet -K 192.168.0.237
Trying 192.168.0.237...
telnet: connect to address 192.168.0.237: Connection refused
telnet: Unable to connect to remote host
"

also, this isn't the IP address that i assigned to the tivo. it looks like it has had DHCP assign another address. could this be the problem? how can i change this to re-gain access?

thanks,
Popvideo
Old 04-28-2007, 05:22 PM   #10346
grins

Bingo!

Thanks, rbautch!

both are re-zippered and everything works great.

Now for the HDTiVo!

Thanks again

t
Old 04-29-2007, 05:20 PM   #10347
tall1

I fubar'd my HDVR2 when I was upgrading to 6.2a. It all occured because I have an Airlink adaptor and I didn't have network access when I re-zippered.

Now I cannot get network access but I can get to bash with a serial cable. I uninstalled tweak and tried reinstalling and of course I get a wget error because I have no network access. I know the FA120 adaptor works because I use it on another tivo. Is there a command that will restore my network access?

Last edited by tall1 : 04-29-2007 at 05:28 PM.
tall1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 08:32 PM   #10348
offsprung

This has gotten really complex since my last visit.
HR10-250 is now possible but any and all usable functions are not discussable in this forum.
Zipper Home no longer has the huge disclaimer about the HR10-250 (even though it claims it to be a Philips). But FAQ mentions the undiscussable still not possible. It also has reference the the original undiscussable feature, so a bit confused why the new undiscussable is not at zipper home, even if we cannot talk about it here.
So now I guess the answer I am looking for is go to that other place (also not discussable) and figure out how to do it totally by hand because I assume they still hate zipper and lazy b@st2rds like myself.
offsprung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 08:50 PM   #10349
Lord Vader
Dark Lord ofthe Sith

Quote:
Originally Posted by tall1
I fubar'd my HDVR2 when I was upgrading to 6.2a. It all occured because I have an Airlink adaptor and I didn't have network access when I re-zippered.

Now I cannot get network access but I can get to bash with a serial cable. I uninstalled tweak and tried reinstalling and of course I get a wget error because I have no network access. I know the FA120 adaptor works because I use it on another tivo. Is there a command that will restore my network access?
Try manually ftp-ing rbautch's files to your TIVO, then rerun tweak.sh. The script will recognize that the files are there and will skip the wget part. You should be good to go from there.
Old 04-29-2007, 08:53 PM   #10350
tall1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Vader
Try manually ftp-ing rbautch's files to your TIVO, then rerun tweak.sh. The script will recognize that the files are there and will skip the wget part. You should be good to go from there.
How do you "manually" FTP files via serial? Also, running tweak isn't the problem. I ran tweak already thinking I might get networking back but when I rebooted (it didn't reboot a second time either), there was no network access. So maybe without thinking things through, I uninstalled tweak. My ultimate goal is how do I get networking back?
tall1 is offline   Reply With Quote