TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Underground
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-02-2005, 09:58 PM   #601
rbautch
User

Just rename it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

rbautch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 10:07 PM   #602
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

with NO extension
Old 11-02-2005, 10:20 PM   #603
summerall

Thanks guys...another question since I'm full of them...

Since this is a new Tivo from weaknees it had no access card so I'll be transferring a P4 card from my series 1 Tivo to this one. Is this the correct order in which I should perform these steps?

1. Image drive with zipper instructions.
2. Put drive in new Tivo and boot up.
3. Move card to new Tivo.
4. Call directv and use 722 trick???
5. FTP to Tivo and run enhancements tweak script.
6. Call directv and deactivate old tivo series 1.

Thanks
summerall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 11:03 PM   #604
gfr7
Linux lacking user

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbautch
I disagree. The 51error won't go away with an Emule image, and in fact if you follow the directions, it will go away on it's own after running the enhancements script and rebooting. With PTVupgrade, you get a known, good, virgin, image that is specifically tailored for your model Tivo. With Emule, you never know what you're going to get, and even if your image works right off the bat, subtle problems could start appearing over time that have have to obvious answer. In addition, PTVupgrade is a sponsor of this forum, and has contributed ALOT of support to the developers of the hacks that are installed by the Zipper and the Enhancement script. They deserve your support, and $20 is not much to part with to get what your getting. I appreciate your thoughts on who deserves the $20, but I prefer that it not go to me or Gunny. We're in it for the fun, and taking $ would be riding the backs of the brilliant people who created the hacks behind the scripts. Not that the scripts are anything to sneeze at.
agreed 100%
support the supporters of this great hobby!
I can unterstand your point but your looking at it from the wrong angle
Old 11-03-2005, 05:10 AM   #605
bengalfreak

Quote:
I disagree. The 51error won't go away with an Emule image, and in fact if you follow the directions, it will go away on it's own after running the enhancements script and rebooting. With PTVupgrade, you get a known, good, virgin, image that is specifically tailored for your model Tivo. With Emule, you never know what you're going to get, and even if your image works right off the bat, subtle problems could start appearing over time that have have to obvious answer. In addition, PTVupgrade is a sponsor of this forum, and has contributed ALOT of support to the developers of the hacks that are installed by the Zipper and the Enhancement script. They deserve your support, and $20 is not much to part with to get what your getting. I appreciate your thoughts on who deserves the $20, but I prefer that it not go to me or Gunny. We're in it for the fun, and taking $ would be riding the backs of the brilliant people who created the hacks behind the scripts. Not that the scripts are anything to sneeze at.
You have some incorrect information in this post. First of all, webcrawlr isn't talking about AN emule image, he's talking about THE 6.2 small image posted by AlphaWolf that's works on any size drive on any series 2 DTivo. If you use the link I posted earlier in this thread, you will get exactly that image with no chance of getting screwed. And of course, there is no 51 error.

I appreciate all the time and money PTV has put into the DTivo hacking community and I did purchase the $5 boot disk with the pre killhdinitrd'd kernals. But one can get the zipper and enhancements script to run without the $20 image CD. So rather than posting misinformation about the 6.2 small image, maybe you could just acknowledge that maybe it would work but that you are not providing technical support for people that go that route.
Old 11-03-2005, 06:30 AM   #606
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

sure it works
yes it's free. We went the way we went for many reasons.
1) Lou is incredibly supportive of the hacking community.
2) We wanted this to be as id10T proof as possible
3) It is FAR easier to download an ISO than get emule set up especially if you don't plan on using it for anything else.

We've never said the emule image won't work, but for sake of simplicity we've given one set of directions that obviously seem to be working fine for everyone.
Old 11-03-2005, 08:34 AM   #607
TomK

Once again, thanks for the hard, hard work, Gunny and Rbautch....and/or Rbautch and Gunny.
TomK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 08:36 AM   #608
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

pay no attention to the man behind that curtain
Old 11-03-2005, 08:54 AM   #609
MrWizard1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnyman
the linksys 100xx aren't usb 2.0 I don't think and while it will work, it will be VERY slow. You can use a serial cable (see the underground for details on building one) to start the enhancements script and finish the process.
zipper worked because your tivo booted
yes never once did i say zipper didnt work zipper worked well i just want to know why it installs HDVR2 in my SD DVR40 cus while i hade no problems with the unit at all if i use my image the insantcake image will not show my unit as a SD DVR40.
Also after i run the script with the 100x i should be able to swich to the 200m with no problems right??
MrWizard1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 08:57 AM   #610
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWizard1974
is there any other way to run the enhancements without a nic ... also how can you tell if zipper worked without it being on your network?? is there any tell tale signs ???
and will a linksys usb100tx work for me??
This is why I said if your tivo booted, the zipper worked
Once teh enhancements script has run, the USB200M V2 should work just fine.
Old 11-03-2005, 09:06 AM   #611
MrWizard1974

Quote:
This is why I said if your tivo booted, the zipper worked
Once teh enhancements script has run, the USB200M V2 should work just fine.
thank you for not flaming my newbishness to forums you are the man Gunnyman

Also i was looking at the tivo site for working nic and they say 200m ver 2 wont work at all only ver 1 will work on a tivo box is this true or does the script alow for more nic to be used then they know of??
Old 11-03-2005, 09:16 AM   #612
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

the enhancement script portion of the Zipper installs USB 2.0 drivers INCLUDING drivers for the USB 200M Version2. RBautch, correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 11-03-2005, 10:01 AM   #613
rbautch
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bengalfreak
You have some incorrect information in this post. First of all, webcrawlr isn't talking about AN emule image, he's talking about THE 6.2 small image posted by AlphaWolf that's works on any size drive on any series 2 DTivo. If you use the link I posted earlier in this thread, you will get exactly that image with no chance of getting screwed. And of course, there is no 51 error.
The only place the 62small image is available is on Emule (because it's illegal to host it), and I do acknowledge that with your link you will get that exact image. I agree it will work, and I’ve used it before. You are incorrect that it will not cause a 51 error. It will - because the “DiskConfiguration" key stored in its MFS database will not match the one stored on your tivo’s crypto chip. The only reason the error doesn’t pop up anymore is because the new Zipper deletes the DiskConfiguration attribute when you reboot. If you truly appreciate the utility of my scripts and the support PTV has put into the hacking community, please support them in return by buying their product and not advertising a free image in this thread. Nuff said.

Last edited by rbautch : 11-03-2005 at 10:56 AM.
Old 11-03-2005, 10:19 AM   #614
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

Let's also not forget, the only LEGAL source for TiVo images is ptvupgrade.com
Old 11-03-2005, 10:55 AM   #615
JediKnight2

I agree...I DID dl the wolf image..BUT I also bought the InstantCake image so that I KNOW that I have a good image at all times! AND for the future!
JediKnight2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 11:48 AM   #616
MrWizard1974

Quote:
the linksys 100xx aren't usb 2.0 I don't think and while it will work, it will be VERY slow. You can use a serial cable (see the underground for details on building one) to start the enhancements script and finish the process.
zipper worked because your tivo booted
Ok i made my serial cable but i cant find anything on how to use it do i need to download somthing im running xp home
Old 11-03-2005, 12:04 PM   #617
rbautch
User

Beyond the scope of this thread. Plenty of info on serial cables here, so search for "serial" and "hyperterminal".

or

Old 11-03-2005, 12:08 PM   #618
summerall

gunnyman / rbautch -

Can I get your advise on post #604?

Thanks
summerall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 12:12 PM   #619
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

old card won't work in tivo until you DE-Activate the old unit
You're gonna have to make sure DTV will activate the old card in teh new tivo
lets try to stay on topic please
Old 11-03-2005, 01:31 PM   #620
SteelersFan
"On Welfare"

Quote:
Originally Posted by webcrawlr
One other thing.

On step 4 of the instructions it gives you a link to download a almost complete Tools CD. The only issue I saw with that is the files that rbautch is responsible for are out of date (10/24 file dates). If you go to his website he's got files with the date of 10/29. Instead of giving the tools in one zip like that it'd be easier on you (less updating) and will ensure the latest files if you just place a link to rbautch's website and say get this and then another link to a zip with the other files that do not change. Know what I mean?
Hey guys - No biggie, but... I didn't see a response to this. Should we use the latest files or just the ones from the link in the instructions?
HR21-700, HR21-100
SteelersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 01:53 PM   #621
rbautch
User

This was done on purpose. I released a new version of the enhancement script, and I wanted to let it "settle in" for awhile before I unleashed it on the Zipper crowd. The zip file will always contain the latest STABLE version of the enhancement script.
Old 11-03-2005, 04:37 PM   #622
ibrow

I'll give it a try.

I just finished upgrading my DSR-704 using the zipper. I have used 2 USB to ethernet adapters, Linksys and Netgear. I can't get them to work. I get a power light on the netgear one but no link light. I guess I should have prefaced this with the fact that the zipper upgrade worked and gave me the message that it was done. I would like try the new script to see if assigning an IP helps. I am using a linksys router but I also have a spare netgear one around here somewhere.
ibrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 04:59 PM   #623
bengalfreak

Quote:
The only place the 62small image is available is on Emule (because it's illegal to host it), and I do acknowledge that with your link you will get that exact image. I agree it will work, and I’ve used it before. You are incorrect that it will not cause a 51 error. It will - because the “DiskConfiguration" key stored in its MFS database will not match the one stored on your tivo’s crypto chip. The only reason the error doesn’t pop up anymore is because the new Zipper deletes the DiskConfiguration attribute when you reboot. If you truly appreciate the utility of my scripts and the support PTV has put into the hacking community, please support them in return by buying their product and not advertising a free image in this thread. Nuff said.

I do, and I did. I posted the image link ONLY because someone didn't have a larger HD and the image he got from PTV wouldn't work on a std. 40GB drive. It was not an attempt to do anything shady.
Old 11-03-2005, 05:01 PM   #624
rbautch
User

Agreed. That's the only situation that I would recommend it for.
Old 11-03-2005, 05:08 PM   #625
bengalfreak

Quote:
Agreed. That's the only situation that I would recommend it for.
Just so you know, I removed the emule link. If someone needs it for the previously stated reason (their PTV image that they bought is too big for their HD) they can PM me for the link.
Old 11-03-2005, 06:26 PM   #626
bnm81002

Quote:
This was done on purpose. I released a new version of the enhancement script, and I wanted to let it "settle in" for awhile before I unleashed it on the Zipper crowd. The zip file will always contain the latest STABLE version of the enhancement script.

Russ,
you mean the "tweak.zip" file(your Enhancement Scripts) correct?
Pioneer DVR810H-not in use
bnm81002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 07:52 PM   #627
rbautch
User

Yes.

or

Old 11-03-2005, 08:34 PM   #628
NYCguy

My tivo was working greate until 2 days ago.

I notice it was freezing from time to time and i had to reboot it.

For some reason all is working except i can't use TWP or FTP.
I can telnet into it and i can ping it.

Anyone has any suggestions?
NYCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 08:46 PM   #629
WhyMe

if I use a drive that has a different tivo image, will the zipper overwrite all files? Thanks
WhyMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 09:03 PM   #630
rbautch
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCguy
My tivo was working greate until 2 days ago.

I notice it was freezing from time to time and i had to reboot it.

For some reason all is working except i can't use TWP or FTP.
I can telnet into it and i can ping it.

Anyone has any suggestions?
Freezing usually indicates a bad hard drive or one about to go.

or