TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Underground
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-29-2006, 03:41 PM   #6001
oiler_head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnyman
almost always you lose locals after a zipper.
In an amazing twist of fate, I turned on the DVR and lo and behold the locals appeared all by themselves -- no call the DTV needed.

Thanks for everyone's advice and help - I'm sure I'll be back with many more questions...
oiler_head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 04:24 PM   #6002
JamakinJoel
Teh Uber Tiv0 N00b

.msf file help

i have the 6.2 os but its in .msf file extension and not the right thing is there anyone to make it back into the correct format for this beatuiful looking tool?
JamakinJoel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 04:37 PM   #6003
Bardman

OK, I've searched this whole thread and think I know the answer to my question, but thought I'd throw it out:

I just finished zippering an HDVR2 that's been gathering dust in my basement for the past year with a brand new drive. Everything worked fine. (this unit is "replacing" another HDVR2 that dove from its resting place, mangling the access card)

the replaced unit, as well as my Family room unit are running 4.0.1b. I can't get along without MRV now. Since 6.2 is much faster than 4.0.1b, I'd like to "upgrade" my family room unit to 6.2. Is there a way to complete this while saving all recordings and SP/Wishlists? I do have a fresh 6.2 image on CD (thank you PTVupgrade)

Can I pull the drive, zipper it, upgrade the OS, choosing to save recordings and SPs (I seem to remember seeing this asked in the script), then put the now 6.2 drive back into my family room machine to finish the setup via telnet? The drive currently running 4.0.1b is not the original drive that came with the unit, but instead a 160Gb drive that I first installed the clean 4 image onto.

Any thoughts??
H24 receiver
HR21 receiver
Bardman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 04:41 PM   #6004
Gunnyman
Peekols

Bardman
what you want is to upgrade from 4.0 to 6.2 with SLICES.
dellanave has a great guide for doing just that at http://www.dellanave.com/projects/tivo/62slices.html

Any zipper procedure that installs a new image on the tivo will wipe the shows.
Old 05-29-2006, 04:51 PM   #6005
JamakinJoel
Teh Uber Tiv0 N00b

or can i use the .msf file and just rename it to 0000001 on the disc or that won't work?
JamakinJoel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 05:03 PM   #6006
D'Ecosse

Step 1 completed - original drive hacked (leaving original image) & re-installed & reboot
(only one little delay caused when the PC wouldn't recognize the original Tivo drive - I had assumed it would have been set to "master" but then recognized it was set for cable select; quick switch to master & all went well.)

So now system is back up & running but I can't communicate to it via telnet.
During the zip I used the default IP (192.169.1.101) and entered my SSID.

I am using an FA120 with a "G" gaming adapter on the TIVO and a WRT54G as the primary router.
I tested this configuration with my laptop which connects flawlesly to my network.
I am getting a link & can also see the TIVO IP when I test for it & can ping it successfully.

However I get an error that it cannot open a connection to the host.

What am I missing here?

Quote:
C:\>ipconfig

Windows IP Configuration

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 5:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : hsd1.ca.comcast.net.
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.101
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

C:\>ping 192.168.1.101

Pinging 192.168.1.101 with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 192.168.1.101: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128

Ping statistics for 192.168.1.101:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms

C:\>telnet -t vt100 192.168.1.101
Connecting To 192.168.1.101...Could not open connection to the host, on port 23
Connect failed

D'Ecosse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 05:05 PM   #6007
rbautch
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamakinJoel
or can i use the .msf file and just rename it to 0000001 on the disc or that won't work?
It should work fine.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

rbautch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 05:09 PM   #6008
rbautch
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by D'Ecosse
Step 1 completed - original drive hacked (leaving original image) & re-installed & reboot
(only one little delay caused when the PC wouldn't recognize the original Tivo drive - I had assumed it would have been set to "master" but then recognized it was set for cable select; quick switch to master & all went well.)

So now system is back up & running but I can't communicate to it via telnet.
During the zip I used the default IP (192.169.1.101) and entered my SSID.

I am using an FA120 with a "G" gaming adapter on the TIVO and a WRT54G as the primary router.
I tested this configuration with my laptop which connects flawlesly to my network.
I am getting a link & can also see the TIVO IP when I test for it & can ping it successfully.

However I get an error that it cannot open a connection to the host.

What am I missing here?
If you entered an SSID, that means you chose wireless networking which is not right. Your tivo thinks it is hard wired to the network. Still, if you can ping it, then the network is working fine, and the problem is likely related to a firewall. Disable any firewalls or try connecting from a different pc. You could also try connecting your laptop directly to the tivo with a crossover cable.

or

Old 05-29-2006, 05:25 PM   #6009
D'Ecosse

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbautch
If you entered an SSID, that means you chose wireless networking which is not right. Your tivo thinks it is hard wired to the network. Still, if you can ping it, then the network is working fine, and the problem is likely related to a firewall. Disable any firewalls or try connecting from a different pc. You could also try connecting your laptop directly to the tivo with a crossover cable.
Man, you guys are quick!
I see - so actually it's not really a 'wireless' connection because I'm using the gaming adapter on the ethernet dongle - the TIVO thinks it's a hard-wire.
Surely it would only be using the SSID if it were seeing a wireless USB & attempt to connect via that? (shouldn't be any different than if I'd made the same provision in the original & was connecting directly with either a cable or wireless B)

If I can ping it though, I'm still not sure why it won't connect. I have the Windows (XP SP2) firewall disabled, my Zonealarm disabled & also the router firewall disabled.
If I run to the store & pick up a cross-over cable, & I connect to the ethernet, will I then be able to edit it after I connect?

Edit - update - picked up a cross-over ($15 at Compusa - what a rip-off!!!!)

Connected directlywith my laptop & still get same error
Quote:
could not open connection to the host, on port 23
An established connection was aborted by the software in your host machine
The link light is on the FA120 but I cannot see it in IPCONFIG and I cannot ping to the Tivo address.

As I look through the instructions, I see one thing I omitted; after the zip was complete, I did not unmount the CDROM or command 'halt' - I just shut down the PC at that point. Should tha have caused any issues?

Last edited by D'Ecosse : 05-29-2006 at 07:10 PM.
Old 05-29-2006, 08:19 PM   #6010
rbautch
User

Unmount wouldn't have caused it. Try setting the default gateway of your laptop eqal to the IP address of your Tivo, and then try to connect again with the crossover cable. Is is possible you're connecting to the wrong IP address? Can you ping the gaming adapter? Next things to try would be rezippering, or else build/buy a serial cable so you can really see what the problem is. It's easy.

or

Old 05-29-2006, 08:39 PM   #6011
D'Ecosse

here's where I am now

I re-zipper'd the drive, still keeping original image
This time I gave it a fresh IP address - this time 192.168.1.111 (so I could tell it was different) and said 'no' to the wifi.

If I connect with the crossover cable from my laptop, I cannot ping the static address I assigned.

However if I reconnect my gaming adapter, I can again successfully ping to the above assigned address but get the same error message when trying to telnet (cannot open connection to host, port 23)

What I'm confused over is why the direct connection with the crossover cable via the FA120 won't even ping, yet it will with the gaming adapter?

Quote:
...Try setting the default gateway of your laptop eqal to the IP address of your Tivo, and then try to connect again with the crossover cable. ....
That did it! Got my bash - Thanks!
(now after I complete the hacks we'll see what happens with my connection)

Last edited by D'Ecosse : 05-29-2006 at 08:44 PM.
Old 05-29-2006, 08:43 PM   #6012
Gunnyman
Peekols

just a thought
is there a software firewall enabled on your laptop?
Old 05-29-2006, 09:09 PM   #6013
D'Ecosse

Nothing is easy (at least for me it appears!)

So now I get the bash with the crossover cable, it starts to run the tweak but then stalls - it appears to be looking for the DNS -

Quote:
download failed - adjust DNS & try again? y/n
Then if I say yes, it asks to enter IP of router - but of course there is no router!

what should I set the DNS to in the manual config for the default gateway for the laptop with the crossover ?

I tried again with my PC and the router link - pings OK but will still not telnet!

Last edited by D'Ecosse : 05-29-2006 at 09:14 PM.
Old 05-29-2006, 09:26 PM   #6014
robr

any chance you can remove the gaming router from the equation for now and just plug the FA120 directly into your router? if we can get that working, then we can stick the wireless bridge back in and troubleshoot from there.

my network config on my tivo is
network address: 192.168.2.104
netmask 255.255.255.0
default gateway: 192.168.2.1 (my router's internal address)
DNS server: 192.168.2.1 (again my router)
network type: wired

I also use the FA120 adapter.
robr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 03:03 AM   #6015
D'Ecosse

Still not getting the bash with the connection through the gaming adapter
However, it will ping to the Tivo
Also, if I connect via ftp to the tivo address entered during the zipper install, I can see all the directories & files in there (including the tweak.sh in the hacks directory)

But still get the "could not open connection to the host, on port 23" error when trying to telnet.
This is windows XP SP2
- I'm using the command tenet -t vt100 192.168.1.111

here's the ftp screen showing the connection
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ftpshot.JPG (24.0 KB, 18 views)
Old 05-30-2006, 03:07 AM   #6016
MATT1981M
Cellphone Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by D'Ecosse
Still not getting the bash with the connection through the gaming adapter
However, it will ping to the Tivo
Also, if I connect via ftp to the tivo address entered during the zipper install, I can see all the directories & files in there (including the tweak.sh in the hacks directory)

But still get the "could not open connection to the host, on port 23" error when trying to telnet.
This is windows XP SP2
- I'm using the command tenet -t vt100 192.168.1.111

here's the ftp screen showing the connection
try using hyperterminal.... it is easier.....

If at first you don't succeed, Skydiving is not for you!!!

Gunny and Rbautch RULE!!!
MATT1981M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 04:04 AM   #6017
D'Ecosse

We're off n running
- could never get the bash with telnet from my desktop PC which is directly connected to the router;
I finally tried using my laptop connected to the router (wirelessly even!) and tried to telnet the tivo from there - bingo!
Old 05-30-2006, 04:56 AM   #6018
mercurial
Retro-Av

Very weird Zipper problem... (well, hack problem at least)

I had three TiVo's Zippered. Recently I had to replace a failed drive in one of them so I reimaged it and re-Zippered. At that point, I was swapped out the Linksys USB100M adapter on that box with a Netgear FA120. That worked great.

Then I swapped out the USB100M on one of the other working boxes for a FA120. At that point everything seemed to work. It coudl MRV and I could telnet to it, but TWP wasn't working. So I telneted into it and tried to restart TWP and this is what I see:

bash-2.02# twprs
restarting Tivowebplus
/enhancements/TWPrun.sh: /var/hack/tivowebplus/tivoweb: No such file or directory
TWP restarting...this will take a minute.
bash-2.02#

Sure enough, there is not tivowebplus directory in this box. Is it possible that changing the adapter caused it to eat it? It was working previously. What's the easiest way to reinstall it? Everything else appears to be there in /busybox and /hacks but it appears that all of /var/hack is gone on this box? Can I just re-telnet over some packages/scripts and re-install those things?

BTW, this was zippered with an earlier version of the script before it was changed to keep around all the files and tarballs to let you uninstall and reinstall properly (I hope that makes sense).
Old 05-30-2006, 05:56 AM   #6019
Gunnyman
Peekols

delete the /enhancements directory
get the newest enhancement script from http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=250680
This will give you the latest and greatest.
Old 05-30-2006, 09:11 AM   #6020
mercurial
Retro-Av

Thanks Gunny. Is that really all I need? I mean there aren't any tarballs or binary for TWP and so forth that I should copy over as well?
Old 05-30-2006, 09:23 AM   #6021
Gunnyman
Peekols

the new script goes to the internet and downloads the most current package so make sure your tivo works with wget.
Old 05-30-2006, 09:31 AM   #6022
mercurial
Retro-Av

Cool. So how do I make sure it works with wget? Is there a safe method for upgrading previously zippered TiVos to the "latest and greatest"?
Old 05-30-2006, 11:06 AM   #6023
bman12

Expanded/Zippered one of three...have ?s

I started the process of Zippering three TIVOs last night. I acquired the proper images and made individual Tool CDs for three different TIVOs. I burned the LBA48 Boot CD. I started with my HDVR2 and pulled the drive. I placed My replacement drive in my computer and followed all the steps in the Zipper instructions. To follow are my questions/issues:
1. I put my 6.2 image on the Tools disk. It was detected and installed, After unmounting my cdrom and before rebooting and running zipper I pulled the drive, put it in the TIVO and forced a call to both do any updates and check that it worked. I then pulled the drive and continued the Zipper process. Was there any problem adding the step of forcing a call?

2. My Tools CD has the superpatch 1.2. I noticed a message go across the screen while zippering saying it was unable to find superpatch 1.1. Did it skip the superpatch because I have 1.2? I f so, can I then run superpatch 1.2 after installing via telnet? Should I have renamed 1.2 to 1.1?

3. When the main script in the tools cd detects the image and installs it as noted in Step 5 -H does it both expand and enlarge the swap file automatically or is there something else I need to do?

4. Can the enhancement script be run a second time to make changes or do you need to uninstall first?

5. It didn't seem to hold the 30sec skip. What should I do?

6. I have Window xp sp2. Do I need to do unset crlf every time I use Telnet?

Sorry for the length....as soon as these questions are answered I will do my other 2 TIVOs and woohoo!
bman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 11:44 AM   #6024
Adam1115
20,000!!!

Couple of questions...

1) Why no option for DHCP in the script?

2) Am I missing something? The script links you to a $5 ISO from ptvupgrade for 1 kernel file? (And using it as a boot cd, I guess to?) Seems like a waste of $5, no? Can't this be distributed freely?

Adam1115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 12:12 PM   #6025
rpdre1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam1115
Couple of questions...

1) Why no option for DHCP in the script?

2) Am I missing something? The script links you to a $5 ISO from ptvupgrade for 1 kernel file? (And using it as a boot cd, I guess to?) Seems like a waste of $5, no? Can't this be distributed freely?

1) so you dont have to change the ip everytime you want to use tytool/mfs_ftp/ ftp/telnet

2) the kernel file (killhdinitrd kernel) is copyrighted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by killhdinitrd license terms
You MAY NOT redistribute any kernel image modified by our software, or any derivative thereof.
ptvupgrade is exempt because they have a license from the authors to redistrubute the kernel with that paid boot cd.

if you run killhdinitrd on a stock tivo kernel image (youd have to learn how at ddb but its not hard at all), or "somehow" found a VMLINUX_.GZ that had killhdinitrd applied on it, then you could just use the free ptv boot cd.

there are enough support questions already, the reason you have to buy the cd and use a static ip are to simplify the process.

edit: to clarify

killhdinitrd is a software that modifies a stock kernel image and adds extra code into it to bypass tivo's security.

that extra code is copyrighted by the authors of killhdinitrd.

they didn't want it included in automated/easy tivo hacking scripts so they put in the license terms that you can't redistribute any kernels you make using killhdinitrd.

the killhdinitrd software itself is free and you can make a killhdinitrd kernel for your personal use for free.

Last edited by rpdre1 : 05-30-2006 at 12:27 PM.
rpdre1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 12:21 PM   #6026
rbautch
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bman12
I started the process of Zippering three TIVOs last night. I acquired the proper images and made individual Tool CDs for three different TIVOs. I burned the LBA48 Boot CD. I started with my HDVR2 and pulled the drive. I placed My replacement drive in my computer and followed all the steps in the Zipper instructions. To follow are my questions/issues:
1. I put my 6.2 image on the Tools disk. It was detected and installed, After unmounting my cdrom and before rebooting and running zipper I pulled the drive, put it in the TIVO and forced a call to both do any updates and check that it worked. I then pulled the drive and continued the Zipper process. Was there any problem adding the step of forcing a call?
As long as it was before the hacks were applied, that's fine.

Quote:
2. My Tools CD has the superpatch 1.2. I noticed a message go across the screen while zippering saying it was unable to find superpatch 1.1. Did it skip the superpatch because I have 1.2? I f so, can I then run superpatch 1.2 after installing via telnet? Should I have renamed 1.2 to 1.1?
It skipped it. I'll update the script to work with either version. In the meantime, you can just run 1.2 manually or rename it to 1.1. Both will work.

Quote:
3. When the main script in the tools cd detects the image and installs it as noted in Step 5 -H does it both expand and enlarge the swap file automatically or is there something else I need to do?
It expands the partition set and uses the -r 4 block size, which will support large drives. If you feel you need a larger swap file (which I don't think you do), then you have to do that manually. There is a good discussion on the topic somewhere here in this thread.

Quote:
4. Can the enhancement script be run a second time to make changes or do you need to uninstall first?
Have to uninstall first.

Quote:
5. It didn't seem to hold the 30sec skip. What should I do?
That's because the superpatch was not applied.

Quote:
6. I have Window xp sp2. Do I need to do unset crlf every time I use Telnet?
Best bet is to get a third party telnet client like PuttyTel (free). It handles the line feeds correctly.

or

Old 05-30-2006, 12:24 PM   #6027
rbautch
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpdre1
1) so you dont have to change the ip everytime you want to use tytool/mfs_ftp/ ftp/telnet

2) the kernel file (killhdinitrd kernel) is copyrighted.

ptvupgrade is exempt because they have a license from the authors to redistrubute the kernel with that paid boot cd.

if you run killhdinitrd on a stock tivo kernel image (youd have to learn how at ddb but its not hard at all), or "somehow" found a VMLINUX_.GZ that had killhdinitrd applied on it, then you could just use the free ptv boot cd.

there are enough support questions already, the reason you have to buy the cd and use a static ip are to simplify the process.
Good answers. If you still want to use DHCP, just run the /enhancements/net-launch.sh script.

or

Old 05-30-2006, 12:48 PM   #6028
bman12

You are the BEST!
bman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 02:28 PM   #6029
Gunnyman
Peekols

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercurial
Cool. So how do I make sure it works with wget? Is there a safe method for upgrading previously zippered TiVos to the "latest and greatest"?
If you aren't having issues with empty now playing list then wget will in all likelyhood work just fine.
Old 05-30-2006, 04:56 PM   #6030
Adam1115
20,000!!!

Quote:
Good answers. If you still want to use DHCP, just run the /enhancements/net-launch.sh script.
Thanks!

(BTW, IP only changes if you don't have a reservation. Easier to manage through DHCP though...)

Adam1115 is offline   Reply With Quote