TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Underground
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-26-2005, 03:52 PM   #421
slydog75
Not all that sly

LOL, yeah I know, I actually like Linux, just haven't had enough courage to switch yet. However, that wasn't it either... Apparently it didn't like my SATA drive being hooked up during the process. So, LESSON ONE.. no wireless keyboards/mouses and LESSON TWO, no SATA drives.

Last edited by slydog75 : 10-26-2005 at 04:32 PM.
slydog75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 04:29 PM   #422
slydog75
Not all that sly

One other question that I"m not quite clear on with the posts here. After running zipper and putting the drive back in my tivo, will I be able to use a USB 1.0 adapter? I see that the 2.0 drivers are only installed after running the enhancements which is done over telnet. Is the only way to telnet in to do this over the serial cable?
Old 10-26-2005, 05:00 PM   #423
rbautch
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by slydog75
One other question that I"m not quite clear on with the posts here. After running zipper and putting the drive back in my tivo, will I be able to use a USB 1.0 adapter?
Yes
Quote:
I see that the 2.0 drivers are only installed after running the enhancements which is done over telnet. Is the only way to telnet in to do this over the serial cable?
No.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

rbautch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 05:50 PM   #424
bnm81002

I would like some clarification for Step H, it states that "if you copied a 6.2 image to your Tools Disk, the script will detect it and prompt you to install it" then between Steps H and I it states "remove the Tools CD, replace it with your PTV Boot Disk and then reboot. Repeat Steps B through G above but this time answer "n" to the image install", why would I have to reboot and repeat the Steps B through G again if I already copied the 6.2 image to my Tools CD, why couldn't I just go to Step I after the Script detects the image and prompts me to install it? see my confusion here, basically it says to do Steps B through G once with the image installed and again w/o installing the image when I could just do it once and go to the next Step which would be Step I? thanks
Pioneer DVR810H-not in use
bnm81002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 06:25 PM   #425
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

IF you have installed an image as part of your zipper process, you MUST reboot for that image to be initialized.
If you aren't installing an image, no reboot is needed.
Old 10-26-2005, 07:06 PM   #426
bnm81002

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnyman
IF you have installed an image as part of your zipper process, you MUST reboot for that image to be initialized.
If you aren't installing an image, no reboot is needed.

now that's more clear and precise, if the Image is on the Tools CD then have to reboot to initialize it, gotcha, thanks much
Pioneer DVR810H-not in use
bnm81002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 09:28 PM   #427
slydog75
Not all that sly

Ok, I zippered and have booted up fine and everything is working normally. However, my stupid DirecWay modem/router doesn't allow me to see the DHCP tables to I have no idea what the IP address for the tivo is. I've tried pinging a few random IPs but cannot find it. I have a Belkin USB 1.0 adapter attached and the LED on it is lighting up so I'm assuming it's working. Is the tivo assigned a default name that I can try to ping to acquire it's IP address or any other way to figure out if it has one or what it is? Got the serial port working.

Last edited by slydog75 : 10-26-2005 at 09:39 PM.
Old 10-26-2005, 09:32 PM   #428
rbautch
User

I would try to ping an IP address close to your other network devices. Barring that, there's several threads on how to make a serial cable work - aint that hard. Once you get that going, the enhancements script will prompt you to set a static IP. The last resort is to wait for the next version of the Zipper, which will allow you to set a static IP while the drive is still in the PC.

or

Old 10-26-2005, 09:36 PM   #429
slydog75
Not all that sly

crud, I'm also getting a message in 'now playing' saying that a hardware problem has been detected and that I will not be able to record or watch recordings until it has been resolved. Then it says I need to reboot, but I keep getting the same message.

I have the serial port working now,. should I be getting a command prompt over the port? The last thing that it sent after rebooting was "....sending Done event".

I used a DSR704 image from Instantcake on a Hughes DVR80 but I used the latest version of Zipper in which this isnt' supposed to be an issue. I also used the PTV Boot CD for the kernel.

Edit: I see now that it is the same old error 51.. so i'll fix that as soon as I can get a command into the box... agian, I'm not getting a prompt over the serial cable using hyperterminal.

Last edited by slydog75 : 10-26-2005 at 09:47 PM.
Old 10-26-2005, 09:44 PM   #430
NYCguy

Quote:
crud, I'm also getting a message in 'now playing' saying that a hardware problem has been detected and that I will not be able to record or watch recordings until it has been resolved. Then it says I need to reboot, but I keep getting the same message.

I have the serial port working now,. should I be getting a command prompt over the port? The last thing that it sent after rebooting was "....sending Done event".

I used a DSR704 image on a Hughes DVR80 but I used the latest version of Zipper in which this isnt' supposed to be an issue.
I was having the same problem

Just telnet to the tivo
type 51killer.tcl
hit enter
reboot tivo

NYCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 09:48 PM   #431
slydog75
Not all that sly

Here's what I'm getting concerning the network adpater over the serial cable:

usb.c: USB device 2 (vend/prod 0x50d/0x121) is not claimed by any active driver.
pegasus.c: eth0: link NOT established (0x7849) - check the cable.
Old 10-26-2005, 09:56 PM   #432
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

ok so it SEES the usb nic that's good.
you either have a bad port on the router, a bad cable or perhaps your router isn't running DHCP.
Old 10-26-2005, 10:28 PM   #433
summerall

rbautch -

I did a "ps" at the bash prompt and I don't see anything that tells me cron is running. What name should I be looking for in the list? I've got my tivo hooked to the phone line so I want to make sure cron is running. Or do I even need to care about cron running since the phone script prevents calls to tivo?
summerall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 10:30 PM   #434
slydog75
Not all that sly

Ok, I'm up and running with everything now after I ran enhancements over the serial cable. However I'm getting a troublesome error over the serial cable...

"couldn't open "/var/spool/cron/cronlogs/CRONLOG-MAIN": no such file or directory

while executing
"open /var/spool/cron/cronlogs/CRONLOG-MAIN a"
(file "/busybox/fakecall.tcl" line 87)
EXT2-fs warning: checktime reached, running e2fsck is recommended"

and then towards the very end it repeats the EXT2-fs warning 4 more times in a row.
Old 10-26-2005, 10:32 PM   #435
Dirac

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbautch
I happen to have written a tcl script that removes wireless settings from MFS. Run it with tivosh <filename>. After you're done, run the net-launch.sh script that's in /enhancements.
Russ, this was great! I entered my settings manually with netconfig.tcl since I use the router for gateway and modem for DNS server. It cleaned out my wireless settings, I rebooted and... TiVo is still getting its IP address via DHCP.

Next, tried renaming dhclient in /sbin and rebooting. As expected, I can no longer connect to TiVo through TCP/IP.

Interestingly, ipflags.tcl reports DHCP is off and no wireless parameters are set. I'm not sure what else could be interfering with my ability to set the IP address. I thought it was the presence of wireless parameters and the NetworkMedium flag.

At least I have connectivity via DHCP. I might shuffle shows via MRV and re-image, but it seems like there would be a better way. Maybe because I set up the settings in 4.0.1b, there's another place that has to be "undone" to get the network initialized according to MFS settings?

2x HR20-700
2x SIR-S4040R, stock (for sale)
HR10-250, v. 6.4a stock
Dirac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 10:45 PM   #436
rbautch
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by summerall
rbautch -

I did a "ps" at the bash prompt and I don't see anything that tells me cron is running. What name should I be looking for in the list? I've got my tivo hooked to the phone line so I want to make sure cron is running. Or do I even need to care about cron running since the phone script prevents calls to tivo?
look for /busybox/crond. If it's not there, reboot, and then check again. If still no, check your author file to make sure the script appended the crond startup command to it. You can also try uninstalling and then reinstalling the script.

or

Old 10-26-2005, 10:49 PM   #437
rbautch
User

Quote:
"couldn't open "/var/spool/cron/cronlogs/CRONLOG-MAIN": no such file or directory

while executing
"open /var/spool/cron/cronlogs/CRONLOG-MAIN a"
(file "/busybox/fakecall.tcl" line 87)
This is odd. Did you run the script more than once, selecting "no" to the cron installation? Anyway, it shouldn't pose a problem, unless you try to connect a phoneline. You might try uninstalling/reinstalling the script when you get access through your network.
Quote:
EXT2-fs warning: checktime reached, running e2fsck is recommended"
This can safely be ignored.

or

Old 10-26-2005, 10:54 PM   #438
rbautch
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirac
Russ, this was great! I entered my settings manually with netconfig.tcl since I use the router for gateway and modem for DNS server. It cleaned out my wireless settings, I rebooted and... TiVo is still getting its IP address via DHCP.

Next, tried renaming dhclient in /sbin and rebooting. As expected, I can no longer connect to TiVo through TCP/IP.

Interestingly, ipflags.tcl reports DHCP is off and no wireless parameters are set. I'm not sure what else could be interfering with my ability to set the IP address. I thought it was the presence of wireless parameters and the NetworkMedium flag.

At least I have connectivity via DHCP. I might shuffle shows via MRV and re-image, but it seems like there would be a better way. Maybe because I set up the settings in 4.0.1b, there's another place that has to be "undone" to get the network initialized according to MFS settings?
Are you setting an IP address anywhere else that might cause a conflict, like in your author file (with ifconfig)?

or

Old 10-26-2005, 11:18 PM   #439
Dirac

No--I never entered an IP address after setting it up in 4.0.1b. I'll check through author and test.conf once I get some time to get the serial cable back on it and see if there's anything hanging around there. Thanks for the idea.

2x HR20-700
2x SIR-S4040R, stock (for sale)
HR10-250, v. 6.4a stock
Dirac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 01:53 AM   #440
tivoenthused

Gunny + Russ,

Just Zippered my 2nd DTiVo in under an hour. Thanks again for the hard work. Life with a hacked TiVo is so beautiful.
tivoenthused is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 09:40 AM   #441
craigldavis

rbautch & Gunnyman:

You Rock!

My DTivo's are Zipper'd and talking! The longest part of the effort was running my cat5 (i wanted full 100 MBPS). WIth the USB 2.0 drivers, it's darn fast!

Code:
bash-2.02# speed
TCP STREAM TEST to 192.168.0.202
Recv   Send    Send                          Utilization       Service Demand
Socket Socket  Message  Elapsed              Send     Recv     Send    Recv
Size   Size    Size     Time     Throughput  local    remote   local   remote
bytes  bytes   bytes    secs.    10^6bits/s  % S      % S      us/KB   us/KB

131070 131070 131070    10.05        13.44   75.21    68.92    458.441  420.061
bash-2.02#

craigldavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 12:17 PM   #442
summerall

Can someone point me to directions on how to uninstall and reinstall rbauthch's enhancement scripts?

I had NCID working and after changing the ncidd.alias and opt2osd files it doesn't work anymore. Only thing I can think to do now is reinstall the scripts over again.
Old 10-27-2005, 12:34 PM   #443
JediKnight2

Umm....cd /hacks
then type ./tweak-uninstall.sh

LOOK a few posts back to get a replacement for tweak-uninstall as he changed a few things so it wouldnt give you a problem when reinstalling

after uninstall...type in ./tweak.sh
JediKnight2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 12:36 PM   #444
ttodd1
Proud Computer Geek

From the website:

6. To uninstall, just run the uninstall script with: sh tweak-uninstall.sh
Old 10-27-2005, 01:02 PM   #445
marcush

Gunnyman, would you also pm me the info you sent to mikehome. I have been preparing to hack my DirecTivo also and wondered about getting the recordings from it transferred to my SA Tivo. It may not be worthwhile for me to do anything to the DirecTivo if I can only interact with the web interface and not be able to extract the recordings. I would probably go out and buy another used standalone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnyman
mike,
yes with some caveats.
A standalone Series 2 can only MRV to a Directivo if IT has been superpatched as well.
Many of the Series 2 standalones being sold retail need some eeprom modifications done to enable the hack.
also check your PM's

Old 10-27-2005, 01:16 PM   #446
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

marcush since you have a hackable standalone just go search ddb for how to hack it and install superpatch on it.
Old 10-27-2005, 01:17 PM   #447
summerall

If I uninstall and reinstall the enhancements scripts will I loose all my season passes and recorded shows?

Last edited by summerall : 10-27-2005 at 01:23 PM.
Old 10-27-2005, 01:27 PM   #448
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

nope
Old 10-27-2005, 01:50 PM   #449
NYCguy

im trying to network the Tivo using the WUSB11 ver 2.6 and i cant

this is the message i get when connecting the wireless adapter

Quote:
usb.c: unable to get descriptor
KBUILD_BASENAME.c: Device Reset failed
KBUILD_BASENAME.c: device initialization failed
usb.c: USB device 2 (vend/prod 0x77b/0x2219) is not claimed by any active drive
The wireless adapter is the Lynksys WUSB11 ver 2.6
NYCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 01:51 PM   #450
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

did you set up your wireless parameters with the script in /enancements?