TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Underground
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-25-2005, 05:24 PM   #391
gfr7
Linux lacking user

The only way to get this message is to answer "n" when the script asks you if you want to update fakecall. You likely already have an updated version from your tivotools download, so this really doesn't matter.[/quote]

when i ran the file it didnt let me say yes or no
could it be my telnet prog(putty)? i have noticed that it seems to echo i couldnt figureout how to stop the echo.

I havent used telnet in along time, back b4 we had a graphical browser
Old 10-25-2005, 05:26 PM   #392
rbautch
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirac
Right, but they're not allowing me to set a static IP address for some reason.
I happen to have written a tcl script that removes wireless settings from MFS. Run it with tivosh <filename>. After you're done, run the net-launch.sh script that's in /enhancements.
Attached Files
File Type: zip un-setSSIDwep.zip (689 Bytes, 12 views)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

rbautch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 05:27 PM   #393
mercurial
Retro-Av

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnyman
I'd like to know who instructed you to use maxblast to clone your tivo drive. Someone has a good thumpin' from me coming to them.
I think some of the directions have you use the new target drive and a utility like MaxBlast to creat a fat partition. You then backup to the fat partition, boot up the new drive under Windows and copy it somewhere, then reboot with the tools disk and do the mfsbackup/restore. I saw that in an upgrade FAQ once. I think it was just a more foolproof way of doing it than trying to explain using an exisitng FAT partition for it.
Old 10-25-2005, 05:28 PM   #394
tosetek

I have a feeling I'm going to be pummeled then, but Step 4 on those instructions is where I got the Maxblast piece from. The last time I tried to partition a drive, it was a disaster!:

You will need a FAT32 partition to make the backup of the TiVo OS. A good option is to use your new drive as a temporary holding place for the backup, then transferring it to the NTFS drive in your PC before re-using this drive as the TiVo drive. You'll need software to format this new drive such as MaxBlast from Maxtor - this will work with most brands of hard drives. You'll need to get this drive formatted as FAT with this software.
tosetek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 05:29 PM   #395
rbautch
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfr7
when i ran the file it didnt let me say yes or no
could it be my telnet prog(putty)? i have noticed that it seems to echo i couldnt figureout how to stop the echo.
Yes, putty is your problem. You need to set it so it interprets "enter" as carriage return (cr) only, not CR/LF (carriage return, line feed). If you don't know how to set that in putty, then use the Windows telnet client.

or

Old 10-25-2005, 05:31 PM   #396
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

Quote:
Originally Posted by tosetek
I have a feeling I'm going to be pummeled then, but Step 4 on those instructions is where I got the Maxblast piece from. The last time I tried to partition a drive, it was a disaster!:

You will need a FAT32 partition to make the backup of the TiVo OS. A good option is to use your new drive as a temporary holding place for the backup, then transferring it to the NTFS drive in your PC before re-using this drive as the TiVo drive. You'll need software to format this new drive such as MaxBlast from Maxtor - this will work with most brands of hard drives. You'll need to get this drive formatted as FAT with this software.
Oh ok no worries I thought perhaps someone told you you could clone the drive itself with maxblast.
No pummelling needed
Old 10-25-2005, 05:37 PM   #397
rbautch
User

I'd like to request that this thread be limited to questions about the Zipper specifically. Please keep questions about Hinsdale and Tivo drive backups in the upgrade forum where they belong. Over there, they're likely to be seen by many more experts than just me an Gunny. Many questions posted here have already been answered repeadedly over there. Don't mean to be a dick, but this thread is quickly getting diluted to the point where nobody would be willing to read the whole thing to gain some background before trying the Zipper. Thanks...
Old 10-25-2005, 05:37 PM   #398
mikehome

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevecon
I found a discounted older Series 2 open box DTivo at CC, but it didn't have an access card. The folks at CC let me call DTV so I could inquire about a replacement card for the receiver. The CSR at DTV said a new card is just $15.

I explained to the CSR that I would be shutting off a receiver and activating the new one in its place - and wondered if I could use the card from the old unit in the new one. I was told simply "No".

The CC salesman found another DTivo - with a card. I bought it & brought it home. I set it up and called DTV. I deactivated one unit & while activating the new, the DTV CSR asked if I was going to use the old card in the new receiver. I said "Yes" without blinking an eye. It worked flawlessly. The new card is safely tucked away in case I ever need it.

... Just another option for cards.
The question is...... did they sign you up for another 2 yrs by activating a DVR on the account? I bet they did
mikehome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 05:42 PM   #399
tosetek

no problem, I understand.
tosetek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 05:47 PM   #400
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCguy
Aiight i was just making sure i didnt skip anything when ussing the Zipper. i just bought the wireless adapter of Ebay and can't wait until it gets here

THX
Actually Rbautch has a specific script in the enhancements directory after you zipper that will config wireless parameters for you.
You can't do anything in Tivoweb except CHANGE them once they have been set up.
Old 10-25-2005, 05:52 PM   #401
NYCguy

Quote:
Actually Rbautch has a specific script in the enhancements directory after you zipper that will config wireless parameters for you.
You can't do anything in Tivoweb except CHANGE them once they have been set up.
I actually did that too so i guess im set for that as well.
NYCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 06:09 PM   #402
goony

Quote:
Many many people think if you don't learn how a hack works you shouldn't use it. Frankly it's a dang set top box and once it's set up you shouldn't have to screw with it. At least that's how I feel about it.
Gunny (and others), your work is valuable. I find the guides and scripts extremely useful, even as a seasoned Linux veteran (I do admin work on Unix/Linux for a living).

It is because the DirecTivo software is so darn stable that once I get it hacked I don't mess with it, thus I forget all of the Tivo-specific knowledge (that I had to learn studying at DDB forums for hours because they abhor guides) from the last time I did a hack. I don't want to make a lifelong hobby out of hacking these boxes, I just want to get them hacked/upgraded and leave them alone.

When my situation permits, Mr. Gunny, I will be sending something your way via PayPal.
goony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 06:44 PM   #403
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

Why, thank you
Old 10-25-2005, 07:26 PM   #404
bnm81002

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbautch
If you use the latest Zipper, you won't need to run 51killer anymore, no matter what image you use.

I guess that you have added that Zipper feature huh? now I have to burn another CD-R disc but great work as always
Pioneer DVR810H-not in use
bnm81002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 07:30 PM   #405
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

just use cdrw like the rest of us
Old 10-25-2005, 07:32 PM   #406
bnm81002

I know I know but haven't had time to buy any yet, you know how that is when one is so busy
Pioneer DVR810H-not in use
bnm81002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 11:14 PM   #407
craigldavis

I ran the Zipper script on my Tivo drive, but I seem to be unable to telnet to my TiVo.

I have a NetGear FA120 (installed today).

I see that the TiVo is getting an IP address, but telnet to that address doesn't connect.

I also get no response from a ping.

My only concern is I've got something out of sync with the tivo "netfilter" files.

A couple of months ago, I did the "unguide" steps up to installing the drive back in my TiVo, but never got around to buying and installing a network adapter. I noticed tonight that my "netfilter-notenabled" file (from the unguide steps) is no longer in the tivo /etc directory.

Tonight I ran the Zipper shell, and now I have the following "netconfig" files:

894 Nov 3 2004 netfilter-disable
1877 Nov 3 2004 netfilter-neutered

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
craigldavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 11:27 PM   #408
stevecon
Wicked Awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikehome
The question is...... did they sign you up for another 2 yrs by activating a DVR on the account? I bet they did
No mention of it.. but I got an HR10-250 6 weeks ago & was in for 2 yrs from that point - so not an issue really. I've been w/ DTV for many years & have been very happy, I expect I'll be with them long after the agreement expires.
stevecon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 11:37 PM   #409
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigldavis
I ran the Zipper script on my Tivo drive, but I seem to be unable to telnet to my TiVo.

I have a NetGear FA120 (installed today).

I see that the TiVo is getting an IP address, but telnet to that address doesn't connect.

I also get no response from a ping.

My only concern is I've got something out of sync with the tivo "netfilter" files.

A couple of months ago, I did the "unguide" steps up to installing the drive back in my TiVo, but never got around to buying and installing a network adapter. I noticed tonight that my "netfilter-notenabled" file (from the unguide steps) is no longer in the tivo /etc directory.

Tonight I ran the Zipper shell, and now I have the following "netconfig" files:

894 Nov 3 2004 netfilter-disable
1877 Nov 3 2004 netfilter-neutered

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
as long as you do not have netfilter-enable your firewall on the tivo is NOT causing the problem.
Old 10-25-2005, 11:45 PM   #410
craigldavis

Quote:
as long as you do not have netfilter-enable your firewall on the tivo is NOT causing the problem.
What about ping (or lack thereof...) -- should the Tivo respond to ping?
Old 10-25-2005, 11:48 PM   #411
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

yes it should
unless you are somehow on a different subnet than your tivo, or you have a firewall issue on your pc, or perhaps don't have the ip address correct.
Lots to explore.
start with the IP address. On most routers I have seen the tivo shows up as its TSN. make absolutely certain you are telnetting, pinging the correct IP.
Old 10-26-2005, 12:17 AM   #412
craigldavis

Quote:
yes it should
unless you are somehow on a different subnet than your tivo, or you have a firewall issue on your pc, or perhaps don't have the ip address correct.
Lots to explore.
start with the IP address. On most routers I have seen the tivo shows up as its TSN. make absolutely certain you are telnetting, pinging the correct IP.
All checked out so I went back to basics and checked the cable My Cat 5 wire didn't work.

How odd that it got an IP address but can't actually communicate... Have to cut the ends off and re-crimp new ones on it!

BTW -- the TSN now shows up!

Sorry to bug you with this but your help made me look at the not-so-obvious!!!

Thanks!!!!
Old 10-26-2005, 06:11 AM   #413
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

there's a reason tech support people always ask "is your computer actually turned on?"It makes you look at EVERYTHING
Glad you're up and running
Old 10-26-2005, 11:46 AM   #414
woods26

Thanks for your response gunny!

Quote:
woods are you on linux?
The reason the file is listed teh way it is in teh guide is that Windows XP truncates the file name.
the file you want is indeed vmlinux.px.gz
just rename it to match the guide and you will be fine. The script takes care of gunzipping for you.
And don't ask me what I'm doing up at this hr, dang flu put me to bed at 7:30 PM and has me up at 4:30 AM

I am indeed on XP but have a linux server and a windows2003 server and several distro's running in VirtualPC just to mess with each to find what I like for desktop use. But, alas, no linux is ready for desktop in my Opinion. This Tivo hacking is all new to me and am very excited for some reason. Thankyou for the process script and your time here. Greatly appreciated.

Flu is terrible. Hope you feel better soon, and anyone else here with the flu. That stuff sux.
woods26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 11:54 AM   #415
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

Rbautch is the main power behind the Zipper so we all owe him a beer but your thanks is appreciated
Old 10-26-2005, 12:06 PM   #416
slydog75
Not all that sly

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbautch
If you use the latest Zipper, you won't need to run 51killer anymore, no matter what image you use.
Now, is this referring to the 'ToolsCD' download? I'm assuming that would be the heart of the zipper procedure.
slydog75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 12:07 PM   #417
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

Quote:
Originally Posted by slydog75
Now, is this referring to the 'ToolsCD' download? I'm assuming that would be the heart of the zipper procedure.
Yes
Old 10-26-2005, 04:15 PM   #418
slydog75
Not all that sly

Ok, I burned the bootCD and I can boot to it fine.. A bunch of info runs by on the screen ending with identifying where all my drivers are hooked up and then identifies the IDE ports and then just stops. Nothing happens after that. One time I hit a key on the keyboard while it was sitting there and it gave me some error about my keyboard. Would having a wireless keyboard/mouse have any effect on this?
slydog75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 04:24 PM   #419
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

yes
need to have usb or ps/2 mouse and keyboard.
Old 10-26-2005, 04:33 PM   #420
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

oh there are drivers out there in Linux for those devices but not for a boot disk that loads a mini linux distro on ramdisk