TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Underground
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-25-2005, 12:05 AM   #361
Dirac

MRV and Photos/Music. You don't get the Best Buy music unless you leave ports to tivo.com open, which is not a good idea. Remote scheduling does not work, but you can set up TivoWebPlus (optional install item in the Zipper) and connect to it remotely--almost as good.

TiVoToGo also does not apply to the combo units. That's what the tserver/vserver discussion was, but we won't go down that road here. Google is your friend.

I should mention that the Zipper automatically blocks your TiVo from getting to tivo.com, so not to worry there.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2x HR20-700
2x SIR-S4040R, stock (for sale)
HR10-250, v. 6.4a stock
Dirac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 12:08 AM   #362
slydog75
Not all that sly

Ok I was just curious.. I was sleepered before and am familiar with all the hacks that existed about a year ago but my HD died so I'm starting from scratch.
slydog75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 03:04 AM   #363
gfr7
Linux lacking user

do i need to worry?

I have put the zips where they need to be dl the un file re ran and i got this message Skipping fakecall update
i have disconed my tivo from the web till i figure out if this is a prob.
Old 10-25-2005, 06:25 AM   #364
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirac
I remember when you first came to TCF... asking a few intelligent questions and then off you go. I appreciate what you're doing for those who can't spend as much time with these things as we'd like.

Speaking of help with TiVo, I have an "enhanced" TiVo that was sliced from 4.0.1b to 6.2. It was set up with wireless params in 4.0.1b. Now I'm moving it to a wired network and having trouble getting it to connect. I reconfigured with netconfig but I think it's still "attached" to the wireless adapter. I have shell access via serial. Any hints?

EDIT: After reboot I still see "Wireless Parameters" after running ipflags. How do I get rid of these?
I still have my wireless parameters set too, they don't seem to hurt anything so I just left them alone.
Old 10-25-2005, 06:28 AM   #365
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfr7
I have put the zips where they need to be dl the un file re ran and i got this message Skipping fakecall update
You can manually run fakecall from bash.
Once you verify fakecall is working it's trivial to add the fakecall.tcl line to your author file to make it run whenever you boot the TiVo.
Old 10-25-2005, 06:31 AM   #366
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

Quote:
Originally Posted by slydog75
How does this apply if you are using the image from InstantCake on a blank drive?
it applied to Mike's question.
when you restore an image with instantcake it will automatically start you at needing to run guided setup.
The zipper sets the need to call flag to 0 so you won't need to make phone calls as part of guided setup.
If you get a you must connect to tivo service message and it won't let you get to the now playing menu you need to run fakecall from bash.
Old 10-25-2005, 08:10 AM   #367
stevecon
Wicked Awesome!

Thumbs up Replacement Access Card

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbautch
Since the DSR7000 is a non-RID tivo, the #722 trick should work. I pulled an old P4 card out of a standard DirecTV receiver, and it worked find with a Weakness DSR7000. Another option is to buy a card from Weaknees for $25.
I found a discounted older Series 2 open box DTivo at CC, but it didn't have an access card. The folks at CC let me call DTV so I could inquire about a replacement card for the receiver. The CSR at DTV said a new card is just $15.

I explained to the CSR that I would be shutting off a receiver and activating the new one in its place - and wondered if I could use the card from the old unit in the new one. I was told simply "No".

The CC salesman found another DTivo - with a card. I bought it & brought it home. I set it up and called DTV. I deactivated one unit & while activating the new, the DTV CSR asked if I was going to use the old card in the new receiver. I said "Yes" without blinking an eye. It worked flawlessly. The new card is safely tucked away in case I ever need it.

... Just another option for cards.
stevecon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 08:16 AM   #368
Dirac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnyman
I still have my wireless parameters set too, they don't seem to hurt anything so I just left them alone.
Right, but they're not allowing me to set a static IP address for some reason.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2x HR20-700
2x SIR-S4040R, stock (for sale)
HR10-250, v. 6.4a stock
Dirac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 08:20 AM   #369
slydog75
Not all that sly

Quote:
it applied to Mike's question.
when you restore an image with instantcake it will automatically start you at needing to run guided setup.
The zipper sets the need to call flag to 0 so you won't need to make phone calls as part of guided setup.
If you get a you must connect to tivo service message and it won't let you get to the now playing menu you need to run fakecall from bash.
Thanks Gunnyman! I'm going to be doing this this weekend and can't wait!
slydog75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 09:04 AM   #370
summerall

I bought instant cake for my Hughes DVR40 for $20 at ptvupgrade. Got the Hughes zippered and now I want to do another one.

If I buy a DSR7000 from weaknees it's $35. Is there a cheaper option for me to get a 6.2 image for the DSR7000? I hate to spend another $20 for another instant cake image. Seems like there should be a cheaper option instead of plunking down $20 for an image for every different model tivo I hack.
summerall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 09:10 AM   #371
JediKnight2

Do a search on EMule for Alphawolf...should come up as 62small.mfs or something like that...free 6.2 image. If you have the extra drive...try the 6.2 image you have..it wont hurt anything at most it works at the least it wont...I dont think the image is that different...just make sure you BOOT UP FIRST and get the satellite info and even let it call in...THEN apply the hacks...
JediKnight2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 09:16 AM   #372
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

Quote:
Originally Posted by summerall
I bought instant cake for my Hughes DVR40 for $20 at ptvupgrade. Got the Hughes zippered and now I want to do another one.

If I buy a DSR7000 from weaknees it's $35. Is there a cheaper option for me to get a 6.2 image for the DSR7000? I hate to spend another $20 for another instant cake image. Seems like there should be a cheaper option instead of plunking down $20 for an image for every different model tivo I hack.
you can also use the image you already bought.

You will have to run 51killr.tcl on it and it will show up in system info as teh same model as the tivo model you bought th eimage for, but it will still work.
Old 10-25-2005, 09:18 AM   #373
summerall

OK thanks guys!!!
Old 10-25-2005, 01:18 PM   #374
NYCguy

confused.

I'm now trying to add the tivo to my wireless network and when i go into TiVo Messages & Setup > Settings > i only see Phone instead of Phone & Network Setup.

Am i doing something wrong ?
NYCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 01:21 PM   #375
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

nope
there are no network screens in 6.2.
You need to configure Wireless using a wired adapter and connecting to tivoweb and running the netconfig module.
Old 10-25-2005, 01:26 PM   #376
NYCguy

Quote:
nope
there are no network screens in 6.2.
You need to configure Wireless using a wired adapter and connecting to tivoweb and running the netconfig module.
Aiight i was just making sure i didnt skip anything when ussing the Zipper. i just bought the wireless adapter of Ebay and can't wait until it gets here

THX
Old 10-25-2005, 01:32 PM   #377
NYCguy

Another Question. My tivo service # starts with 150 so decided to go with the Linksys WUSB11 ver. 2.8 cause that's the one someone recomended here. Now the wireless standard is 802.11b and i just happens to notice my wireless Routers is a Netgear WGR614 802.11g. Now would that be an issue or i shouldn't worry about it ?
Old 10-25-2005, 01:34 PM   #378
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

just make sure the router is set to work in BOTH modes.
Old 10-25-2005, 03:00 PM   #379
summerall

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCguy
Another Question. My tivo service # starts with 150 so decided to go with the Linksys WUSB11 ver. 2.8 cause that's the one someone recomended here. Now the wireless standard is 802.11b and i just happens to notice my wireless Routers is a Netgear WGR614 802.11g. Now would that be an issue or i shouldn't worry about it ?

Will that drop the speeds across his entire network to 802.11b standards or just to the device connected to the Linksys WUSB11? I've always wondered this.
Old 10-25-2005, 03:13 PM   #380
merlincc
Bonafide Tivophile

I have always been told that if 1 device connected to your wireless network is 802.11b then everything will drop to that speed. That is the reason that some of us have been going the way of the 802.11g wireless bridge.
Lifetime TiVo Subscription
merlincc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 03:25 PM   #381
tosetek

ok, i'm back with some questions:

#1 Since I will be purchasing a new drive, and only removing the old Tivo drive, do I need to do this Maxblast backup?

#2 My Tivo currently does have a 6.2 OS but I want to go to a larger Western Digital 120GB hard drive in my Tivo. To obtain the 6.2 OS for this new hard drive, I need to purchase the $20 Instant Cake cd right?

#3 So I would be spending (which I don't mind) $5 to get the boot disk backup software (which if I'm right on #1, I don't need to do now) and $20 for the Instant Cake cd to get the 6.2 OS, correct? Then another $5 to get the PTVupgrade LBA48 4.01 with Enhancements
The super patch seems to be free.

Just wanted to be sure I was purchasing the correct things here. Thanks....
tosetek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 03:28 PM   #382
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

just use hidsdale's guide to back up your old tivo drive to the new larger one and hack that.
No reason to buy Instantcake for a drive that already has 6.2.
The 5 dollar Boot CD has all the tools necessary to backup/restore to a new drive.
Just THOROUGHLY read hinsdale's guide and follow the directions.
Old 10-25-2005, 03:33 PM   #383
TomK

tosetek,

You can back up your current 6.2 disk with a free Weaknees LBA48 boot cd (download the .iso and burn to a cd) and then restore it to your new drive. Nothing to buy that way and you can use the Zipper procedure.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

edit: Gunny beat me to it and is probably more correct.
TomK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 04:09 PM   #384
tosetek

Thanks. So I've downloaded the .iso and burned it to a cd to create my boot cd. I understand the rest except for the FAT32 partition using Maxblast. My friend tells me I shouldn't need to do that since XP will detect this and format it for the new drive.

But, since I'm trying to follow everything step by step, I will be downloading the Maxblast 4 to the new hard drive, right?

Troy
Old 10-25-2005, 04:12 PM   #385
rbautch
User

Quote:
you can also use the image you already bought.

You will have to run 51killr.tcl on it and it will show up in system info as teh same model as the tivo model you bought th eimage for, but it will still work.
If you use the latest Zipper, you won't need to run 51killer anymore, no matter what image you use.

or

rbautch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 04:15 PM   #386
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

hinsdale's page seems to be down
Old 10-25-2005, 04:16 PM   #387
tosetek

ok, thanks. I tried the Hinsdale and couldn't get in, I wasn't being lazy. I'll try again.

Troy
Old 10-25-2005, 04:18 PM   #388
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

go here
http://tivo.upgrade-instructions.com/index.php
follow the prompts
Old 10-25-2005, 04:18 PM   #389
rbautch
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfr7

The only way to get this message is to answer "n" when the script asks you if you want to update fakecall. You likely already have an updated version from your tivotools download, so this really doesn't matter.
rbautch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 04:20 PM   #390
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

Quote:
Originally Posted by tosetek
Thanks. So I've downloaded the .iso and burned it to a cd to create my boot cd. I understand the rest except for the FAT32 partition using Maxblast. My friend tells me I shouldn't need to do that since XP will detect this and format it for the new drive.

But, since I'm trying to follow everything step by step, I will be downloading the Maxblast 4 to the new hard drive, right?

Troy
I'd like to know who instructed you to use maxblast to clone your tivo drive. Someone has a good thumpin' from me coming to them.