TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Underground
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-28-2006, 09:37 PM   #3301
Luv2DrvFst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnstang
NO...wait until February to see if it stops.
Okay, I like the guinea pig approach. Re-editing the file to let it run as is and see what happens in February.
Old 01-28-2006, 09:37 PM   #3302
Finnstang
King of the North

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnm81002
could any of the 3 above be the problem or problems?
which should be used Image Files or All Supported...?
I tried to burn about 10 discs now and it all failed, I know it's cheap nowadays but still it's not worth throwing it away for nothing now,
what should be the Write speed(52x 48x 40x 32x 24x 16x or 12x)- Gunny suggested 12x, stick with 12x?
thanks again

Gunny and Finnstang- I will try what you suggested
ttodd1- Nero Version 6.6(full version)
I would say that it's probably not the discs, although it is possible, most likely your burner in my opinion, and could be a problem with your old pc, although if it is capable of burning a cd at all, I would think it capable of burning this image. Of course the same argument could be made about the burner...if it can burn one cd, it can burn this one. I'm betting that something is getting messed up between the communication between burning program and burner. What OS are you using? Did you answer whether or not you have access to another pc/burner?
You are a genius, Finn! - Tracy
Finnstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 09:38 PM   #3303
Finnstang
King of the North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2DrvFst
Okay, I like the guinea pig approach. Re-editing the file to let it run as is and see what happens in February.
Sweet. We's gonna get learned.
Old 01-28-2006, 09:38 PM   #3304
ttodd1
Proud Computer Geek

bnm81002 check your pm
Old 01-28-2006, 09:55 PM   #3305
bnm81002

Quote:
I would say that it's probably not the discs, although it is possible, most likely your burner in my opinion, and could be a problem with your old pc, although if it is capable of burning a cd at all, I would think it capable of burning this image. Of course the same argument could be made about the burner...if it can burn one cd, it can burn this one. I'm betting that something is getting messed up between the communication between burning program and burner. What OS are you using? Did you answer whether or not you have access to another pc/burner?

well I burned the Tools Disk without any problems so I know at least it can burn
OS is Windows XP Professional
yes I have access to another PC but if I can't burn an ISO image with this PC/CD-RW Combo drive, I'm gonna have to get an inexpensive PC(in process of building a bigger and better computer-that's why I'm using it to burn CD's with) this computer is for my wife to use when my NEW computer has been builded
thanks again
Pioneer DVR810H-not in use
bnm81002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 10:03 PM   #3306
Finnstang
King of the North

I wonder if it just a lack of resources. XP running on a 350 MHz with only 128 MB of RAM. Not alot of room to spare. The tools cd is alot smaller than the expanded ISO. Maybe you're just running out of resources in the middle of the burn.
Old 01-28-2006, 10:21 PM   #3307
bnm81002

Quote:
I wonder if it just a lack of resources. XP running on a 350 MHz with only 128 MB of RAM. Not alot of room to spare. The tools cd is alot smaller than the expanded ISO. Maybe you're just running out of resources in the middle of the burn.

I was thinking that the RAM is not enough to burn an ISO image since I assume it's a large image, I will be upgrading to 512MB RAM next week, when I do I will try and burn again, hopefully it be burned with no problems, thanks for all your help
Pioneer DVR810H-not in use
bnm81002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 04:37 AM   #3308
bengalfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tivogre
I was having the same problem; I commented out the log-wipe line.

MY THOUGHT on the matter was that the line as written was deleting EVERY DAY of every third month.... but I might be wrong.
If that log is stored in /var, it could eventually get so big that it will cause /var to be deleted and then rewritten without your hacks.

It has now happened to me four times in six months.

Last edited by bengalfreak : 01-29-2006 at 05:23 AM.
bengalfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 05:20 AM   #3309
kimsan
underling

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnyman
1) edit your .profile to remove the prompt customizations
2) delete hackman.cfg and restart twp
3) Yes. Plug routers in to a hardwire to your PC browse to its IP set to bridge mode.. Boom Done.
1) Gotta get a copy of "Linux for Dummies" or similar. I've forgotten most of what I learned as a mainframe Unix user (UTX on Encore machines for the old geeks) back in 86.

2) Simple and done. Prolly should've been obvious.

3) Sounds good.

Thanks again. You may indeed be the "Dummie Whisperer"

I'm loving the ablilty to manually set recordings on the XM channels. Checking into other TWP modules as well.

kim
kimsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 06:15 AM   #3310
bengalfreak

Quote:
Still a little confused and frustrated here. This line of crontab seems to be executing every night rather than every 3 months:

# Delete the crond log files every 3 months
22 9 * */3 * rm /var/spool/cron/cronlogs/*; echo "`date` cron logs wiped">> /var/spool/cron/cronlogs/CRONLOG-MAIN

The syntax seems correct, but every morning I have a clean CRONLOG-MAIN like this:

Sat Jan 28 09:22:02 UTC 2006 cron logs wiped
Sat Jan 28 09:22:02 UTC 2006 cron.test.out deleted

Anybody have any ideas why this is happening or how I might fix it? Thanks.

I'm thinkin' there is an extra '*' in there. There should be five entries prior to the command beginning.

The above line looks like it would wipe the logs every day at 9:22am GMT. I think there should only be one star prior to the /3 (every three months). Let me check my old root file.

Yup, try removing the second star before the '/3'. That should clear up the problem.

Here is an excellent link for describing the settings in the crontab.

Crontab for dummies

Edit: After looking again, that line in my crontab actually shows this syntax:

Code:
22 9 * 1-12/3 * rm /var/spool/cron/cronlogs/*; echo "`date` cron logs wiped">> /var/spool/cron/cronlogs/CRONLOG-MAIN
I assume the entry 1-12/3 means every three months.
Old 01-29-2006, 06:36 AM   #3311
Luv2DrvFst

Quote:
Originally Posted by bengalfreak
Here is an excellent link for describing the settings in the crontab.

Crontab for dummies

Edit: After looking again, that line in my crontab actually shows this syntax:

Code:
22 9 * 1-12/3 * rm /var/spool/cron/cronlogs/*; echo "`date` cron logs wiped">> /var/spool/cron/cronlogs/CRONLOG-MAIN
I assume the entry 1-12/3 means every three months.

Now THAT looks like the way to go. But I still think I'll wait until February rolls around just to see what happens with the command I have. Maybe the */3 does it every day for the first three months? I'll check it on Feb 1st just for grins then use the 1-12/3 syntax. No, better yet, I'll keep the */3 line in there but just have it output a line to the file and not do anything else. Then I can see when it stops/starts.

Thanks, bengalfreak (I lived in Cinti for a few years so I feel your bengal pain)
Old 01-29-2006, 07:23 AM   #3312
bengalfreak

Quote:
Now THAT looks like the way to go. But I still think I'll wait until February rolls around just to see what happens with the command I have. Maybe the */3 does it every day for the first three months? I'll check it on Feb 1st just for grins then use the 1-12/3 syntax. No, better yet, I'll keep the */3 line in there but just have it output a line to the file and not do anything else. Then I can see when it stops/starts.

Thanks, bengalfreak (I lived in Cinti for a few years so I feel your bengal pain)

I believe that the */3 entry is a typo although I'm not sure. I think that crond is reading the * and ignoring the /3 (just a guess). If I'm right, it will continue to wipe your logs every day forever
Old 01-29-2006, 07:24 AM   #3313
bengalfreak

Gunny,

I have a suggestion for the instructions page for the zipper. Line L reads:

Code:
Boot up your Tivo, run through the guided setup (only if you installed a
new image), and then reboot. If you get an Error #51 at this point, you may 
safely ignore it.
I'm thinking that reboot should be its own line. It really shouldn't be necessary but it seems that enough people are missing that you have to keep answering the same question alot. And to tell you the truth, I've run the Zipper about 30 times now, and I still forget to do it every now and then.

Last edited by bengalfreak : 01-29-2006 at 07:53 AM.
bengalfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 07:33 AM   #3314
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

Quote:
Gunny,

Code:
Boot up your Tivo, run through the guided setup (only if you installed a new image), and then reboot. If you get an Error #51 at this point, you may safely ignore it.
I'm thinking that reboot should be its own line. It really shouldn't be necessary but it seems that enough people are missing that you have to keep answering the same question alot. And to tell you the truth, I've run the Zipper about 30 times now, and I still forget to do it every now and then.
In big BOLD NEON RED FLASHING LETTERS!
Old 01-29-2006, 09:36 AM   #3315
Luv2DrvFst

Quote:
I believe that the */3 entry is a typo although I'm not sure. I think that crond is reading the * and ignoring the /3 (just a guess). If I'm right, it will continue to wipe your logs every day forever
Well, in my handy-dandy Unix for Mac OS X there is this example:

# You can use step values with ranges by putting a / after the range.
# 0-10/3 means 0,3,6,9 (the 10 never gets used) and */2 means "every two"
15 12 * */2 3 echo "run at 12:15 every second month but only on Wednesdays"
17 8-20/2 * * * echo "run at 17 minutes after every 2nd hour from 8am to 8pm everyday"

...so the */3 syntax does look right, it just doesn't seem to work right in the month of January (since that's the only month I've had this running!). Or there is something unique in the TiVo distro of Linux that differs from Unix.
Old 01-29-2006, 10:26 AM   #3316
rbautch
User

Quote:
Gunny,

Code:
Boot up your Tivo, run through the guided setup (only if you installed a
new image), and then reboot. If you get an Error #51 at this point, you may 
safely ignore it.
I worked out a way to make the script realize that it is booting for the first time, and reboot the tivo automatically. I modify the instructions and post a new Zipper in a few days. This should save some headache.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

rbautch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 10:52 AM   #3317
bengalfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbautch
I worked out a way to make the script realize that it is booting for the first time, and reboot the tivo automatically. I modify the instructions and post a new Zipper in a few days. This should save some headache.

Excellent.
Old 01-29-2006, 10:58 AM   #3318
Tivogre

Quote:
If you're thought process is correct, then he should stop having the issue once February hits. I think that you are right about this by the way, since a star in the cron basically means every for whatever column it is in.
I was correct..... I think.

I edited the line to put a 1 vs. a * in the DOM field and rebooted (probably could have just restarted cron); my cron logs DID NOT get wiped last night.:

22 9 1 */3 * rm /var/spool/cron/cronlogs/*; echo "`date` cron logs wiped">> /var/spool/cron/cronlogs/CRONLOG-MAIN

I'll REALLY know I'm right on Wednesday.... let's see if those logs wipe on the first of February (fingers crossed).
Samsung 72", 56", 4 x 32" HDTV
Sony 40" HDTV
iRule + iTach Remotes
Tivogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 11:01 AM   #3319
bengalfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tivogre
I was correct..... I think.

I edited the line to put a 1 vs. a * in the DOM field and rebooted (probably could have just restarted cron); my cron logs DID NOT get wiped last night.:

22 9 1 */3 * rm /var/spool/cron/cronlogs/*; echo "`date` cron logs wiped">> /var/spool/cron/cronlogs/CRONLOG-MAIN

I'll REALLY know I'm right on Wednesday.... let's see if those logs wipe on the first of February (fingers crossed).
Yes, but even if you're right. won't it go back to wiping the logs every day next January?
Old 01-29-2006, 11:07 AM   #3320
Tivogre

Quote:
Yes, but even if you're right. won't it go back to wiping the logs every day next January?
I don't THINK so.... but we'll see on Wednesdy. I'm new to this stuff.

I think my syntax correctly specifies:

minute 22

hour 9

day of month 1 (first day of the month)

month */3 (I interpret to be every thrid month... January, April, July, October)

day of week * (any)

We'll see, between my edits, the other guy's "playing guinnea pig" to see if it STOPS deleting for him on Wednesday night...

Of course, one of the CRON experts in the thread could just TELL US so we could stopp guessing!!!

Samsung 72", 56", 4 x 32" HDTV
Sony 40" HDTV
iRule + iTach Remotes
Tivogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 11:20 AM   #3321
boody
Thumbs Up

Hi,

Having a bit of a problem with error 51. I'm mod'ing a HR10-250 using the S2 3.1.5 kernel on PTV's $5 CD, and I run 51killer.tcl:

-------------------
#!/tvbin/tivosh
EnableTransactionHoldoff true
set db [dbopen]
RetryTransaction {
set obj [db $db open "/State/Media"]
dbobj $obj remove DiskConfiguration
}
-------------------

as: tivosh 51killer.tcl

Note: I did not run zipper, yet.

I get no output from that script, but after I run it there's a delay before the prompt comes back (so it seems it is running). I know this isn't a ^M issue. After a reboot I still have the 51 error.
Service Number showing up as not avail (000000...)

Is the script not working or does it not work on my unit/kernel?? I really don't want to have to resort to clear and delete every time the unit gets a software update and I re-hack it (and I would like to get/participate in software updates).

Speaking of service updates, please confirm my understanding of how this works: when I get a software update my hacks will go away and I will still be able to watch recorded video. But when I update the kernel again (like I have here) even if 51killer works, I'll still have no access to the recordings since the key gets re-created. So, in effect if hacking is the goal, every software update means a clearing of all my recordings. And no, I don't have access to older kernels of mine, this unit is fresh out of the box.

Thanks
boody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 12:19 PM   #3322
CKramer

Quote:
no
it will ignore ssid.
did you set a static IP or DHCP?
static, as your guide states, when it asked me to enter the ip address for the tivo, entered 192.168.0.200
ip address for the router - 192.168.0.1
gateway - 192.168.0.1
SSID - NETGEAR (assumed that the wireless usb adapter would work).

there is no way to have dhcp on tivo, is there?
am i doing something wrong?
CKramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 12:46 PM   #3323
rpdre1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbautch

any chance you can add an option to install USB 2.0 drivers to the first part of the zipper?

it would reduce the support questions around here and save ppl the hassle of buying another adapter when they have one that will work after installing the backport drivers.
rpdre1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 03:16 PM   #3324
stingerxxx

Help!!
I zppered my 2nd tivo. Everything went perfect, I got the bash prompt, went thru tweak. Then after it finished realized i made a mistake, when it rebooted i lost the bas prompt. Forgot to say yes to DHCP. At least I'm guessing that was the prob. I cannot get the bash prompt back. any ideas?
stingerxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 03:30 PM   #3325
kudron

Well, the saga continues.

I placed my drive back into the tivo on Wednesday and all appeared fine, even though I could not finish the zipper (had to go back to work). On Friday, the tivo locked up while watching a channel. I rebooted and was able to watch over an hour of a recorded program. After that, the unit locked up again. Further attempts to boot are futile as I am stuck at the welcome screen.

I'm thinking of getting an Instantcake image, re-image the drive (thus losing my programs) then zipper it. Seems to be the easiest way of getting the tivo back up in the shortest amount of time.
kudron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 03:58 PM   #3326
boody
Thumbs Up

Having more 51 related probs:

I did a clear & delete to get past the error. When it came back up I had to do the normal dial in to activate DVR. After the usual trouble (I have Vonage) I finally got it to call in via modem and afterwords, the 51 error came up again!! This is a vicious cycle - c&d to get rid of 51 -> need to dialin to activate dvr -> error 51. Help!!!
boody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 04:01 PM   #3327
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

boody
is the unit zipper hacked?
if no no need for c&d just run 51killer.tcl
the run fakecall.tcl and reboot.
Old 01-29-2006, 04:04 PM   #3328
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingerxxx
Help!!
I zppered my 2nd tivo. Everything went perfect, I got the bash prompt, went thru tweak. Then after it finished realized i made a mistake, when it rebooted i lost the bas prompt. Forgot to say yes to DHCP. At least I'm guessing that was the prob. I cannot get the bash prompt back. any ideas?
no bash or no network at all?
if you have No network connectivity, rezipper
if you have tivoweb just run the netconfig module in tivoweb.
Old 01-29-2006, 04:32 PM   #3329
rbautch
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpdre1
any chance you can add an option to install USB 2.0 drivers to the first part of the zipper?

it would reduce the support questions around here and save ppl the hassle of buying another adapter when they have one that will work after installing the backport drivers.
An excellent idea, but....I have thought about it previously, and decided against it for two reasons. The first is not to add another variable to the mix when people "can't connect" for some reason. The other is that many moons ago (pre-Zipper) I got permission to use USB2.0 drivers with the enhancement script, not the zipper. Since the zipper may have dropped my stock on DDB, I'm not going to push my luck by asking permission again.

or

rbautch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 05:10 PM   #3330
stingerxxx

Quote:
no bash or no network at all?
if you have No network connectivity, rezipper
if you have tivoweb just run the netconfig module in tivoweb.
I have no access to tivoweb.

Well, Ihave a linksys wrt54gs router, and a netgear fa120, after it reboot I have all leds lit. the FA120 both lights are lit. When it asked for static ip or use dchp, I chose static, I used 192.168.1.103, router is 192.168.1.1. Then when the enhancements script finished it said to reboot. I did, but then I could no longer get the Bash prompt. I tried to rerun zipper again, re-entered IP address still didnt work. Not sure what to try next.
stingerxxx is offline   Reply With Quote