TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-25-2006, 12:01 PM   #3091
kudron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnyman
Kudron if your 6.2 partition is on /hdc4 while the the tivo HD is in the PC,
your bootpage command must look like this
bootpage -P "root=/dev/hda4 dsscon=true console=2,115200 upgradesoftware=false" -C /dev/hda
note that you use hda4 not hdc4 because the tivo HDwill indeed be /dev/hda when it is IN the tivo.

also remember to verify the correct partition by using step 8 of the guide
OK, I had changed the command to hdc because that was the way I had setup my hd in my PC. I'll go back and re-run the command.

I did see the directories/files, but one of them was named slightly different. I believe it was StageB _PostKickstart rc.arch - I believe mine was named StageB_PostKickstart.rc
kudron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 12:02 PM   #3092
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

that's fine those directories only exist on a 6.2 install so you are indeed in the correct partition.
Old 01-25-2006, 12:04 PM   #3093
mcornell

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKramer
Sorry to keep on bother you Gunny. but anyway to look the image of the box and look for specific markers that differentiate the versions?

On ebay, i haven't found anyone listing the version number
CKramer, I just bought (still waiting for delivery) the WRTG54 from Circuit City on line. The page said it was version 2.1, but now that I'm thinking about it I'm hoping that the version they listed as 2.1 was in fact the version of the router and not something else entirely....we'll see in a couple of days.

-Mike
mcornell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 12:39 PM   #3094
CKramer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcornell
CKramer, I just bought (still waiting for delivery) the WRTG54 from Circuit City on line. The page said it was version 2.1, but now that I'm thinking about it I'm hoping that the version they listed as 2.1 was in fact the version of the router and not something else entirely....we'll see in a couple of days.

-Mike
I picked it up this weekend and found out it was version 5. When you get it, at the bottom of the box, check out the serial number, if it begins with CDFB, it is version 5.
It was listed as 2.1 at the store. I dont know what does that 2.1 stands for.

I am going to return mine today and probably get the netgear powerline adapter to make the tivo work temporarily till i get the belkin from ebay.

btw. Gunny, thanx for pointing the v 3000 item out on ebay. I have bid on it. lets see what happens.
CKramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 12:43 PM   #3095
kudron

Gunny,

Changed hdc to hda and all went well. Booted up fine, however the remote control commands were very slow, as were the telnet and ftp commands.

I then took the drive back out, ran zipper, saw that zipper identified the active partition as hda7, and now I am stuck at the welcome page again. I suspect that zipper changed the bootpage to hda7, so do I have to go back and change it from hda7 to hda4?
Old 01-25-2006, 12:47 PM   #3096
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

something is re-flipping your bootpage for some reason
was this unit SLEEPERED? by any chance?
Old 01-25-2006, 12:59 PM   #3097
kudron

Quote:
something is re-flipping your bootpage for some reason
was this unit SLEEPERED? by any chance?
No it was not.

I changed the bootpage to hda4, it booted up fine, but I can not telnet in. I can ftp into it though, but I can not run the zipper - ?hacks? is empty.

How does zipper determine what is the active directory? Than seems to be where the bootpage is being changed, I would guess.
Old 01-25-2006, 01:04 PM   #3098
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

Quote:
Originally Posted by kudron
No it was not.

I changed the bootpage to hda4, it booted up fine, but I can not telnet in. I can ftp into it though, but I can not run the zipper - ?hacks? is empty.

How does zipper determine what is the active directory? Than seems to be where the bootpage is being changed, I would guess.
this section of the zipper script determines boot partition
Code:
############# MOUNT TIVO DRIVE AND DETERMINE PARTITIONS ######################
root="`/cdrom/bootpage -b /dev/hd$location | cut -c17-20`"
boot=$(($root-1))
sleep 2
bootpath="/dev/hd$location$boot"
rootpath="/dev/hd$location$root"
echo "Your root filesystem is located on $rootpath"
sleep 2
echo "Your boot partition is $bootpath"
sleep 2
echo "Mounting tivo drive..."
sleep 2
cd /
mkdir tivo
mount $rootpath tivo
after you modified bootpage manually did you do bootpage -p (lowercase) to make sure it took?
Old 01-25-2006, 01:31 PM   #3099
kudron

Quote:
this section of the zipper script determines boot partition
Code:
############# MOUNT TIVO DRIVE AND DETERMINE PARTITIONS ######################
root="`/cdrom/bootpage -b /dev/hd$location | cut -c17-20`"
boot=$(($root-1))
sleep 2
bootpath="/dev/hd$location$boot"
rootpath="/dev/hd$location$root"
echo "Your root filesystem is located on $rootpath"
sleep 2
echo "Your boot partition is $bootpath"
sleep 2
echo "Mounting tivo drive..."
sleep 2
cd /
mkdir tivo
mount $rootpath tivo
after you modified bootpage manually did you do bootpage -p (lowercase) to make sure it took?
Yes I did, everything looked fine...
Old 01-25-2006, 02:44 PM   #3100
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

russ?
I'm out of ideas.
Old 01-25-2006, 03:45 PM   #3101
ebetzler

Need help..after zipper, wusb11 doesn't work

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebetzler
I successfully installed zipper on SD40 using new 300gb drive upgraded from 40gb master.
I tested the wireless and it worked great! how cool!

So, I got ambitious, and immediately went to upgrade my living room HDVR2 running 6.2 with a 120gb drive.
Installed zipper just fine.
Put drive back in TIVO, tivo boots fine and works fine.
Wireless adapter's link light blinks consistently and I am unable to talk to tivo.

Any advice?
Gunny..anyone..can you help me out with this?
Zipper is installed, I haven't run the enhancement script yet since I can't telnet in.
I know my wireless settings are correct because I used them on the install of my other DVR and everything was fine (except used a different static IP this time)
Why is my link light blinking? (WUSB11)
Do I need to back things out and start over? If so, how do I undo the zipper?
ebetzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 03:54 PM   #3102
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

did you use DHCP on your network?
if NOT, and your tivo is a copy from another, and both are on teh network, you are having an IP address conflict.
Old 01-25-2006, 03:58 PM   #3103
ebetzler

Quote:
did you use DHCP on your network?
if NOT, and your tivo is a copy from another, and both are on teh network, you are having an IP address conflict.
My router is setup for DHCP.
The other TIVO is not even plugged in, but DID work with my network config when it was.
Old 01-25-2006, 04:01 PM   #3104
bengalfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by webbuzz
Works great so far!

I connected one to a wireless PC upstairs and checked the throughput and it was better than the wi-fi.

Newegg has the XE102 for $45.99

BestBuy was $59

justdeals.com is selling the XE102 for $24.95 with free shipping. This unit is refurbished.

I was wondering if anyone was using the Netgear WGE101 wireless bridge with the Netgear FA-120 on their DTivo with MRV? And if so, what kind of thruput are you getting?
Old 01-25-2006, 04:10 PM   #3105
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

Quote:
The other TIVO is not even plugged in, but DID work with my network config when it was.
is this a different adapter than the one that works on the other Tivo?
Old 01-25-2006, 04:47 PM   #3106
rbautch
User

Quote:
russ?
I'm out of ideas.
The Zipper uses the bootpage command to determine your active root partition, so try changing your bootpage manually to hda4, and then run the bootpage -b command manually to check it. If that works, enter this command to see if accurately reports the root partition:
Code:
root="`/cdrom/bootpage -b /dev/hda | cut -c17-20`"; echo $root

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by rbautch : 01-25-2006 at 08:55 PM.
rbautch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 04:50 PM   #3107
rbautch
User

Quote:
Do you have a WEP key enabled on your router?

or

Old 01-25-2006, 05:49 PM   #3108
ebetzler

Gunny..Same adapter.

Rbautch..WEP is disabled.
Old 01-25-2006, 06:02 PM   #3109
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

sometimes adapters get a firmware modification when they encounter 2.0 drivers. is the adapter the same one or just another of the same model?
Old 01-25-2006, 06:10 PM   #3110
ebetzler

Exactly the same adapter.
Should I do a serial bash connection and run enhancement script?
Doesn't that install USB 2.0 drivers?
Old 01-25-2006, 06:22 PM   #3111
rbautch
User

It doesn't install usb2.0 drivers unless you tell it to. Run the enhancement script through serial, and watch as it echoes back your network parameters. Then run /enhancements/setSSIDwep.tcl to confirm/change your wireless settings.

or

Old 01-25-2006, 07:08 PM   #3112
Diana Collins

Quote:
Originally Posted by bengalfreak
...I was wondering if anyone was using the Netgear WGE101 wireless bridge with the Netgear FA-120 on their DTivo with MRV? And if so, what kind of thruput are you getting?
That is exactly my set up on the DSR-704 in my family room. I get around 12Mbits/sec with WPA enabled.

Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Co-Founder and Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006
Diana Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 07:14 PM   #3113
ranc0r

Slow Now Playing List on Zippered HDVR2

Hi.

First thanks to everyone that put together the Zipper hack and the Enhancement Script. It was great to follow a few simple directions and have a fully set up dtivo. Thanks!

Now, I Zippered and Enhanced my HDVR2 a few weeks ago. I used a 160gb drive that I have previously used dd to move partitions from my original 40gb drive. I mention this, but I did use Instacake to install a fresh 6.2 image on the drive before I ran the Zipper.

My problem is now my Now Playing screen is super slow in showing recordings, especially if I go into a group then go back out to the main Now Playing screen. I get the green background screen and I can scroll up and down, but the actuall text items don't show for 30-45seconds or more.

Does anyone know what could be wrong with my tivo. The amount of recordings doesn't seem to affect the slowness. I've uninstalled the enhancement script and reinstalled it, but that didn't change the situation.

Thanks for any suggestions you have in advance!
ranc0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 07:25 PM   #3114
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

yes seach this forum for empty NPL for the solution
Old 01-25-2006, 08:38 PM   #3115
mcornell

Hi all. I've been lurking on this forum for a week or two, then finally decided to try the hack on DTivo. I just received my 120GB Maxtor hard drive from Staples today and was very excited to get started after reading all the post here.

I burned my disks and stuck the boot CD in just to check that it would boot to linux. Everything was cool. I then opened my Dell case (IDE 0 has 2 120 GB HDs and IDE 1 has 1 DVD R and one DVD+RW) I just unplugged the ribbon cable from the mother board for for IDE0 and then plugged the one that came with the new HD into the board and the new HD into the other end and plugged in the power.

I booted to Linux, mounted the tools CD and ran Zipper. it asked where my Tivo HD was and I said 'a'. It found the image I put on the tools CD and I selected 'y'. It then came back with the message "/dev/hda: no such device or address" then it gave me an error that it could open the device for writing the image.

I then re-ran zipper and selected 'b'...same thing. I then unplugged the original HDs and used the original cable with my new HD plugged in.

I tried every combination of location on the cable with every jumper setting but still got the same message when zipper attempted to write the image to the new HD.

I'm stumped (as well as pissed and embarrassed), but I need some help.

much appreciated,

-Mike
Old 01-25-2006, 08:53 PM   #3116
mskreis

Fakecall concerns on HR10-250

I zippered my HR10-250 several weeks ago and its been running without any obvious difficulties. I would like to connect it to the phone line for caller id.

I've been checking the phone status daily and the call is always listed as being made at 9:20 PM which I understand is correct. However, the next scheduled call is always the next day, not 6 days in the future. How do I trouble shoot this?
mskreis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 09:06 PM   #3117
rbautch
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcornell
Hi all. I've been lurking on this forum for a week or two, then finally decided to try the hack on DTivo. I just received my 120GB Maxtor hard drive from Staples today and was very excited to get started after reading all the post here.

I burned my disks and stuck the boot CD in just to check that it would boot to linux. Everything was cool. I then opened my Dell case (IDE 0 has 2 120 GB HDs and IDE 1 has 1 DVD R and one DVD+RW) I just unplugged the ribbon cable from the mother board for for IDE0 and then plugged the one that came with the new HD into the board and the new HD into the other end and plugged in the power.

I booted to Linux, mounted the tools CD and ran Zipper. it asked where my Tivo HD was and I said 'a'. It found the image I put on the tools CD and I selected 'y'. It then came back with the message "/dev/hda: no such device or address" then it gave me an error that it could open the device for writing the image.

I then re-ran zipper and selected 'b'...same thing. I then unplugged the original HDs and used the original cable with my new HD plugged in.

I tried every combination of location on the cable with every jumper setting but still got the same message when zipper attempted to write the image to the new HD.

I'm stumped (as well as pissed and embarrassed), but I need some help.

much appreciated,

-Mike
That's odd. Try to manually install the image with the following command:
Code:
mfsrestore -s 127 -r 4 -xzpi /cdrom/000001 /dev/hda
. If you get the same error, either your ide cable is bad, or the boot disk is not recognizing your drive.

or

Old 01-25-2006, 09:07 PM   #3118
rbautch
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mskreis
I zippered my HR10-250 several weeks ago and its been running without any obvious difficulties. I would like to connect it to the phone line for caller id.

I've been checking the phone status daily and the call is always listed as being made at 9:20 PM which I understand is correct. However, the next scheduled call is always the next day, not 6 days in the future. How do I trouble shoot this?
Search the beginning the enhancement script thread (in my sig) for cron troubleshooting tips.

or

Old 01-25-2006, 09:08 PM   #3119
gnut
Tivo and Golf Nut

I dont post much here cause I read allot and everything you guys say works! But I have a issue with the hardware problem. I did the 51killer.tcl and below is what it came back with. Looks like it is missing some files somewhere and damn if I can find them. Any help appreciated!

sh /busybox/51killer.tcl
/busybox/51killer.tcl: EnableTransactionHoldoff: command not found
/busybox/51killer.tcl: puts: command not found
/busybox/51killer.tcl: gets: command not found
/busybox/51killer.tcl: line 29: syntax error near unexpected token `}'
/busybox/51killer.tcl: line 29: `}'
gnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 09:19 PM   #3120
mcornell

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbautch
That's odd. Try to manually install the image with the following command:
Code:
mfsrestore -s 127 -r 4 -xzpi /cdrom/000001 /dev/hda
. If you get the same error, either your ide cable is bad, or the boot disk is not recognizing your drive.
Thanks, I'll give that a try tomorrow. the wife and kids are asleep and if it doesn't work there's going to be some cursing....don't want to wake them up.

I don't think it's the cable because I treid the one my compter came with (and I'm using now) as well as the one out of the new HDs box.

Maybe I'm having a different type of issue, becasue I also tested using an on 10GB harddrive I have, and I got the same message.

I'll also try ripping open an old desktop I have and try it on that. hopefully it can boot off of CD.....

Thanks again, I'll post with more questions or with the fix.

-Mike