TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Underground
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-22-2006, 08:00 PM   #2971
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

the relationship is teh other way around Rupert and Company over at DTV has hamstrung Tivo at every turn. Rather than making Tivo the only game in town with a lucrative set top box deal, they decided to go in house and stopped develpment on the Dtivos.
wireless G bridge seems to be just about as fast as wired direct.
Old 01-22-2006, 08:14 PM   #2972
CKramer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnyman
the relationship is teh other way around Rupert and Company over at DTV has hamstrung Tivo at every turn. Rather than making Tivo the only game in town with a lucrative set top box deal, they decided to go in house and stopped develpment on the Dtivos.

i always thought that TIVO has some agreement with Directv to disable to the USB so people are forced to buy standalones. guess i had wrong info. damn directv

anyways, with u guys at help here, i m sure we can achieve what directv didn't want us to achieve.

hopefully i will get my fa120 this week. i m picking up belkin 7230 from circuitcity tomorrow. hoping that will complete my tivo setup.
CKramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 08:17 PM   #2973
rpdre1

Quote:
i turned a linksys router i wasnt using into a bridge (with HyperWRT+Thibor12 firmware) plugged into a netgear fa120 and i'm getting the same EXACT speed i'm getting from my wired tivos.
rpdre1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 08:32 PM   #2974
Lord Vader
Dark Lord ofthe Sith

Am I correct, then, in the understanding that this zipper pack DOES include HMO capabilities?
Lord Vader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 08:38 PM   #2975
rpdre1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Vader
Am I correct, then, in the understanding that this zipper pack DOES include HMO capabilities?
only the HR10-250 can not have HMO/MRV at this time.

on the R10, it is possible to enable HMO/MRV but not without physically replacing a chip (the PROM).

on every other S2 unit, hacking is easy and done with software hacking.
Old 01-22-2006, 08:40 PM   #2976
Lord Vader
Dark Lord ofthe Sith

I understand that, but I was wondering if this particular zipper pack includes the HMO capabilities, especially since it does include the USB2.0 drivers if I remember correctly.
Old 01-22-2006, 08:49 PM   #2977
rpdre1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Vader
I understand that, but I was wondering if this particular zipper pack includes the HMO capabilities, especially since it does include the USB2.0 drivers if I remember correctly.
yes it will enable HMO and MRV.
Old 01-22-2006, 09:01 PM   #2978
kudron

Quote:
If you install via slices you won't need the zipper, you can just install Rbautch's enhance script.
Well, I tried 6.2 slices and now I have lost ftp and telnet. Short of losing my recordings and reloading 6.2 via Instantcake, what are my options. When I had the drive mounted in my PC, I did notice that Tivoftpd was on the drive, but I kept getting an error message to the effect of "unable to execute binary file" or something similiar. I can ping the tivo though. I can't even get a bash prompt with a serial cable and Hyperterm.

I have spent the last three days reading through various posts here and on the other place my eyes are ready to explode.

Anybody have any suggestions???
kudron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 09:08 PM   #2979
CKramer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpdre1
i turned a linksys router i wasnt using into a bridge (with HyperWRT+Thibor12 firmware) plugged into a netgear fa120 and i'm getting the same EXACT speed i'm getting from my wired tivos.
what linksys was it? i have a wrt54g lying around. do u think that will do the trick
CKramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 09:13 PM   #2980
rbautch
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kudron
Well, I tried 6.2 slices and now I have lost ftp and telnet. Short of losing my recordings and reloading 6.2 via Instantcake, what are my options. When I had the drive mounted in my PC, I did notice that Tivoftpd was on the drive, but I kept getting an error message to the effect of "unable to execute binary file" or something similiar. I can ping the tivo though. I can't even get a bash prompt with a serial cable and Hyperterm.

I have spent the last three days reading through various posts here and on the other place my eyes are ready to explode.

Anybody have any suggestions???
Probably some things lost in your alternate partition. As long as 6.2 is working now, you can run the Zipper.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

rbautch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 09:19 PM   #2981
kudron

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbautch
Probably some things lost in your alternate partition. As long as 6.2 is working now, you can run the Zipper.
Should I run the zipper or just the enhanced script?
Old 01-22-2006, 09:20 PM   #2982
Lord Vader
Dark Lord ofthe Sith

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpdre1
yes it will enable HMO and MRV.
Thank you for that info.
Old 01-22-2006, 09:23 PM   #2983
rbautch
User

Quote:
Should I run the zipper or just the enhanced script?
Both. The Zipper has the enhacement script included on the tools disk. Follow the instructions exactly.

or

Old 01-22-2006, 10:05 PM   #2984
rpdre1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKramer
what linksys was it? i have a wrt54g lying around. do u think that will do the trick

i have a wrt54gs but wrt54g works too (instead of thibor, you run tofu12: http://www.polarcloud.com/tofu/ ) i suggest you read the linksysinfo.org forum

remember you will still need a fa120 or another usb ethernet adaptor.
Old 01-23-2006, 06:22 AM   #2985
kimsan
underling

Success of sorts - HR10-250 x 2

Gunnyman & Rbautch,

Thanks for all the efforts and support you're putting into this. The whole zipper process has proven to be quite an ordeal and learning curve *despite* you're very clear, simple instructions.

Issues for me tended to be self-induced and/or a product of attempting wireless G where support is minimal.

In short steps (ignoring do-overs and bonehead maneuvers), it went like this:

1. Started with a freshly imaged/expanded/tested HR10-250.

2. Followed the Zipper instructions to prep the drive.

3. Connected both PC and HR10-250/FA-120 to the G-router with cables.

4. Used PuTTY to run tweak.sh.

5. Success while wired!

I can leave the HR10-250 wired and go wireless with the PC now.

The big question: How do I get the HR10 to understand the wireless bridge so the PC can go back to being base for the router? Or can I?

The smaller question is how to add twp and *ummm* Those verY special additions to the automatic startup?

I'll be scouring this thread while hoping for answers.

Thanks again!

kim
kimsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 06:26 AM   #2986
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

plugging in to a wireless bridge will be an invisible process to the tivo, no prep needed.
twp should already be loading automatically.
You can start the "teaserver" by adding it's command to /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit.author.

Last edited by Gunnyman : 01-23-2006 at 09:43 AM.
Gunnyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 09:14 AM   #2987
DarthOverlord

Hey Guunyman & rbautch, just wanted to thank you for the zipper script. I have hacked my DTivo with sleeper and weethet and now zipper. Zipper was by far the simplest tool.

I appreciate all the work you guys did and the friendly nature of this forum. I have used the "other" forum in the past and although they are helpful, it is a little nervewracking if you have a question you want to post.

Thanks again for the great tool. Now it is time to start the next "project" and get a tivoserver set up.
DarthOverlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 09:24 AM   #2988
DarthOverlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKramer
He is using a WRT54G. If you have one, make sure it is version 4 or earlier. Version 5 is a crippled redesign.

Look at the first 4 letters of the serial #. The serial # should be on the bottom of the box.

CDF0 = wrt54g v1.0
CDF1 = wrt54g v1.0
CDF2 = wrt54g v1.1
CDF3 = wrt54g v1.1
CDF5 = wrt54g v2.0
CDF7 = wrt54g v2.2
CDF8 = wrt54g v3.0
CDF9 = wrt54g v3.1
CDFA = wrt54g v4.0
CDFB = wrt54g v5.0

The best free firmware in my opinion is dd-wrt, just google it, I can't post the url yet, b/c I am new to the forum.

I currently use my second one as a bridge to my mac mini and my squeezebox. Works terrific.
DarthOverlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 11:28 AM   #2989
dkchandler

Hello guys,
I am about to hack a Series 2, Dtivo, (sir-s4040r) with the zipper.
I am replacing my existing drive with a 200GB.
Do I need to run BlessTivo or something like that before I start running the zipper script??
Thanks....
dkchandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 11:33 AM   #2990
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

nope just follow the directions without deviation
Old 01-23-2006, 11:44 AM   #2991
rbautch
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthOverlord
He is using a WRT54G. If you have one, make sure it is version 4 or earlier. Version 5 is a crippled redesign.

Look at the first 4 letters of the serial #. The serial # should be on the bottom of the box.

CDF0 = wrt54g v1.0
CDF1 = wrt54g v1.0
CDF2 = wrt54g v1.1
CDF3 = wrt54g v1.1
CDF5 = wrt54g v2.0
CDF7 = wrt54g v2.2
CDF8 = wrt54g v3.0
CDF9 = wrt54g v3.1
CDFA = wrt54g v4.0
CDFB = wrt54g v5.0

The best free firmware in my opinion is dd-wrt, just google it, I can't post the url yet, b/c I am new to the forum.

I currently use my second one as a bridge to my mac mini and my squeezebox. Works terrific.
I may finally get around to trying this in order to speed up Tivoserver transfers. Would be nice to have one thread that pulls together all the working configurations, do's and don'ts, model numbers, other threads, etc. for various wireless bridging solutions.

or

Old 01-23-2006, 11:48 AM   #2992
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

Like this one?
Old 01-23-2006, 12:06 PM   #2993
kudron

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbautch
Both. The Zipper has the enhacement script included on the tools disk. Follow the instructions exactly.
Well, I followed the instructions to the letter...I am now stuck at the power-up screen. I went ahead and pulled the drive again, ran the un-zip, reinstalled the drive and still stuck at the powering up screen.

I am at a loss what to do next....
Old 01-23-2006, 12:18 PM   #2994
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

Quote:
Well, I followed the instructions to the letter...I am now stuck at the power-up screen. I went ahead and pulled the drive again, ran the un-zip, reinstalled the drive and still stuck at the powering up screen.

I am at a loss what to do next....
which kernel did you use, and did you re-image of use an in place 6.2 install?
Old 01-23-2006, 12:37 PM   #2995
kudron

Quote:
which kernel did you use, and did you re-image of use an in place 6.2 install?
The kernel is from a PTV boot disk that I purchased last March, that was in /s2_kernels/3.1.5/VMLINUX_.GZ per the instructions in step 4 (the file size is 1177kb). As far as re-imiging 6.2, I updated last week from 4.x to 6.2 via Dellanave's slices instructions.

Will I need to reinstall6.2? Instantcake, or can I follow the instructions in zipper? I am baffled, befuddled and confused...
Old 01-23-2006, 12:43 PM   #2996
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

well could you access bash from 6.2 before zippering?
I'm confused about why you zippered if you sliced from 4.xx
the kernel copy going wrong or boot page not being properly set can put you stuck at welcome powering up..
did you notice any error messages while zippering?
Old 01-23-2006, 12:46 PM   #2997
pluto

recognize drive hours

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Collins
You'll have to pull the drive again, and run :

mfsadd -x /dev/hdX

where hdX is the appropriate device to refer to your TiVo drive.

Following the image expansion on my 160 drive it reports 141 hours. On completion of the zipper & enhancements the info screen on the tivo shows 120 hours variable? I assume that the 3.1.5. kernel was installed, because it reported 141 hours.

Any ideas why the I am not seeing 140+ hours? (Zipper install (otherwise working great)
Thanks for the Zipper!
Pluto
pluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 12:48 PM   #2998
dkchandler

Gunnyman, Thanks for the fast reply!!
I have one more question, my 40GB has 6.2, can I just backup the data on my 40GB and restore it to my 200GB drive???? Then start the zipper scripts??

Thanks....
dkchandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 12:52 PM   #2999
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

yes that is a great way to go
Old 01-23-2006, 12:53 PM   #3000
kudron

Quote:
well could you access bash from 6.2 before zippering?
I'm confused about why you zippered if you sliced from 4.xx
the kernel copy going wrong or boot page not being properly set can put you stuck at welcome powering up..
did you notice any error messages while zippering?
After I sliced to 6.2 I had telnet, but I lost ftp.

I zippered because I wanted ftp back, channel logos, permanent 30 sec skip, and TivoWeb.

The only error message that I got was during file copy, stating unable to copy to /tivo/hacks and /tivo/busybox, file exists (?) or some such. I then checked those directories and zipper had copied the files, possibly from the first time I ran zipper.

I do appreciate the help. Thanks.