Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Underground
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-22-2005, 11:09 PM   #271
eddyj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnyman
YAY
I guess I don't have to drive to Miami tomorrow eh?
Only if you want to experience Wilma first hand.
eddyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 11:10 AM   #272
tcflint

After the upgrade

Ok, so for a newbie....Once I sucessfully hacked my Dtivo with Zipper is there a place I can read about all the features and how to use them to get the most out of all the enhancments?
tcflint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 11:28 AM   #273
rbautch
User

Start with the Enhancements thread here . After that, just keep searching and reading.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

rbautch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 05:06 PM   #274
NYCguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by summerall
NYCguy

to get rid of the 51 hardware error you have to run

51killer.tcl

then reboot tivo. i had the same problem and this fixed the problem.

Look at post 256 from gunny man

That did it. Next Step is networking
NYCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 11:08 PM   #275
bguild

Guys, Zipper is terrific! Thanks for the fantastic mods. I am enjoying Tivoweb for the first time and I love it.

One question: I ran 51killer because I was switching my old hard drive to a new unit and I was receiving Error 51. Yet, after running 51killer, I still cannot view my old programming. I guess I was under the mistaken impression that I would be able to view my old programming.

I guess this part of the Enhancement Script pretty much answers my question:

WARNING: Because the key generated for this nag is also used as part of the
encryption process for tystreams, any encrypted (scrambled) streams that you
currently have on the disk will be rendered useless!

Is there any way to recover the old programming? If not, what is the best way to erase it all? Is there anything quicker than just using the Tivo Erase function?

Thanks,

Brian
bguild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 11:20 PM   #276
bnm81002

Quote:
Originally Posted by bguild
Is there any way to recover the old programming?

I was wondering about this as well, should I do a backup and restore using either hinsdale or weaknees guides according to "Note 1" then install "Zipper" then install "Enhancement Scripts" then I'll have my old recordings on the new drive with Zipper and E. Scripts? thanks
Pioneer DVR810H-not in use
bnm81002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 04:26 AM   #277
woods26

PTVUpgrade CD

Thanks for the zipper it rox. I havent had a chance to try it yet but I love tools that make things a bit more simple. Lets us concentrate on other important stuff. So thanks and greatly appreciated.

So part of the process for doing this is by purchasing the LBA48 boot cd from PTVUpgrade. I did that, confirmation here

The following products are available for immediate electronic delivery:

Order#: 21120
Date: 10/23/2005

LBA48-401DD
PTVupgrade LBA48 4.01 with Enhancements
downloads ptvupgrade com download.php?sc=PTV&id=

I removed the id param for safety as it still seems to link to the cd image. Anyhow when I browse the image I dont see the kernel in the correct format you all suggest. I see x:\s2_kernels\3.1.5\vmlinux.px.gz I can gunzip the file then I am left with vmlinux.px. Do I just re-gzip it with the name you guys have stated?

Thanks.

PS. Had to breakup URL per board ristriction
woods26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 04:34 AM   #278
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

woods are you on linux?
The reason the file is listed teh way it is in teh guide is that Windows XP truncates the file name.
the file you want is indeed vmlinux.px.gz
just rename it to match the guide and you will be fine. The script takes care of gunzipping for you.
And don't ask me what I'm doing up at this hr, dang flu put me to bed at 7:30 PM and has me up at 4:30 AM
Old 10-24-2005, 04:42 AM   #279
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

If the ZIPPER get's mentioned on DDB one more time, MY support for it here (or anywhere else for that matter) ENDS! Are we all CLEAR?
Old 10-24-2005, 07:01 AM   #280
TomK

Give us names and we'll take care of the offenders.
TomK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 07:32 AM   #281
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

I ook care of it.
Old 10-24-2005, 10:15 AM   #282
mercurial
Retro-Av

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbautch
The HR10-250 has 3.x software, which is older than the 6.x or 7.x versions that the script has been tested on to date. Files are in different places, network settings are stored differently, etc..., all of which I have begun to adjust the script for. I'm testing things out now with the help of MisterEd, and I should have a beta version ready soon. Anyone with an HR10-250 is welcome to help me test.

Note that we are talking about the Enhancement script, not the Zipper.
I was thinking more like what things can you do? I know MRV/HMO is out but will you be able to:

1) Use a USB Netadapter in lew of a phone line?
2) Enable 30s skip permanently?
3) Use get caller ID?
4) Have TiVo web?

I think those are the things that I'm most interested in, in order. I appologize if it's a silly question. I've not been keeping up with hacks and what is/is not possible on each point release of the software.
Old 10-24-2005, 10:20 AM   #283
mercurial
Retro-Av

Thanks guys! I now have my two S2 DTiVos hacked and networked and expanded to 144 hours each. Yay! I also have a drive imaged and zippered to go in the S2 I'm going to get to replace my last S1 DTiVo (a SAT-T60).

Also (unrelated to the Zipper), I have my failing HR10-250 drive replaced with dual 250GB drives but I can't get it up and running until I get a new power splitter from Weaknees. The one they sent had a bad pin that came out when I tried to connect it. (The sad part is, I threw away a draw full of the darn things when I moved in January since I hadn't needed one in years.)

When we built this house, we had it pre-wired with lots of CAT5 so I have between 2-6 CAT5 outlets for network or phone use depending on how I jack them in, at each TiVo location. I've got the TiVos segregated onto their own 100MBS switch so the inter-TiVo traffic doesn't interfere with or get interfered with by our network traffic.

Anyway, long story short, expect a beer or two coming your way sometime this week. Thanks again guys!
Old 10-24-2005, 10:24 AM   #284
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

Your Welcome Merc.
Old 10-24-2005, 10:26 AM   #285
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercurial
I was thinking more like what things can you do? I know MRV/HMO is out but will you be able to:

3) Use get caller ID?
4) Have TiVo web?

I think those are the things that I'm most interested in, in order. I appologize if it's a silly question. I've not been keeping up with hacks and what is/is not possible on each point release of the software.
Merc,
1) does a HDTivo get OTA guide data from Tivo call?
2) Yes
3) yes
4) yes
Old 10-24-2005, 10:30 AM   #286
mercurial
Retro-Av

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnyman
Merc,
1) does a HDTivo get OTA guide data from Tivo call?
2) Yes
3) yes
4) yes
I'm about 99.9999999% sure ALL the guide data for the HR10-250 comes over the sat just like the SD versions.
Old 10-24-2005, 10:32 AM   #287
mercurial
Retro-Av

BTW, if I can get the TiVos to not need a phone line, then all I need to do is talk to my alarm company about what other monitoring options they have, and I'll be able to ditch my land line for Vonage or a similar offering and save about $25-35/month. So that's a big driver in this project.
Old 10-24-2005, 10:32 AM   #288
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

then no need for a phoneline at all
Old 10-24-2005, 11:09 AM   #289
TomK

My VOIP service is on order
TomK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 11:49 AM   #290
JediKnight2

If you want to save your programs that are currently on your system...I successfully did this on Saturday by following the Hinsdale Guide by upgrading to a larger single drive from my Original Tivo drive. After I completed the Hinsdale guide I zippered the drive and it worked flawlessly....

Gunny...DONT LEAVE US...you are always gonna have some IDIOTS...I know its aggrivating...

GET A ROPE BOYS!!!
JediKnight2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 12:27 PM   #291
rbautch
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bguild
Guys, Zipper is terrific! Thanks for the fantastic mods. I am enjoying Tivoweb for the first time and I love it.

One question: I ran 51killer because I was switching my old hard drive to a new unit and I was receiving Error 51. Yet, after running 51killer, I still cannot view my old programming. I guess I was under the mistaken impression that I would be able to view my old programming.

I guess this part of the Enhancement Script pretty much answers my question:

WARNING: Because the key generated for this nag is also used as part of the
encryption process for tystreams, any encrypted (scrambled) streams that you
currently have on the disk will be rendered useless!

Is there any way to recover the old programming? If not, what is the best way to erase it all? Is there anything quicker than just using the Tivo Erase function?

Thanks,

Brian
If you move your hard drive to a new unit, there is no way to recover your old shows. This is not a function of the script, or hacking. You would have the same problem if you moved an unhacked drive to another Tivo. Also there's no way to batch delete them. It may be easier just to start with a fresh 6.2 image than to spend a hour deleting them one by one.

or

Old 10-24-2005, 12:29 PM   #292
rbautch
User

Quote:
If the ZIPPER get's mentioned on DDB one more time, MY support for it here (or anywhere else for that matter) ENDS! Are we all CLEAR?
Perhaps the original post or the Zipper website can have a "wall of shame" that names names.
Old 10-24-2005, 12:32 PM   #293
JediKnight2

DO IT...that sounds like a good idea!
Old 10-24-2005, 12:35 PM   #294
rbautch
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKnight2
If you want to save your programs that are currently on your system...I successfully did this on Saturday by following the Hinsdale Guide by upgrading to a larger single drive from my Original Tivo drive. After I completed the Hinsdale guide I zippered the drive and it worked flawlessly....
...but did you install the drive back into the same Tivo or into a new unit? The problem arises when you put the drive into a new unit that has a different crypto key stored on the motherboard than the one used to encode the shows originally. The bottom line is the only scenario that you'll lose existing shows is if you move the drive to a new Tivo.

or

Old 10-24-2005, 12:43 PM   #295
mercurial
Retro-Av

BTW, you *MIGHT* want to make the WinXP SP2 telnet issue more clear directly in your FAQ. I saw that and figured it was an access issue since SP2 turned on more firewall stuff that I turned back off. Ok.. I'd try the telnet and see if it worked. It wasn't until the tweak script screwed up that I realized the "unset crlf" was the issue. Ok, no big deal, I'll just re-run it... Wrong. It sees it's already hacked and refuses to run again since I have to uninstall first. Ok.. Do that and it refuses to run the install because the /enhancements directory is empty... Grumble... Tried to re-zipper it but no go. No biggy, just re-imaged from the original drive, re-zippered and moved on. Again, I'm an idiot but maybe that would be a good one to pull into the FAQ/guide.

Also, in a case of being too smart (?) for my own good, when I burnt the Zipper CD, I did it in ISO-9660 format since I seemed to remember (mis-remember) that being more compatible with Linux. But ISO-9660 mangles the file names so I had to re-burn a disk in Joliet. You *might*want to mention that in the section about making the tools disk, but it's no big deal. Most people probably get it right by default, it's just people that have to screw around with things that mess it up.

One last, I may have missed this in the guide, since I was using a LBA48 boot disk and doing mfsbackup/mfsrestore to image the drives and keep my old recordings, I didn't realize you had to reboot between that finishing and running the Zipper. Your guide mentions a reboot if you're having Zipper install a plain 6.2 image but, unless I missed it, it doesn't mention to do it if you're doing a manual MFS image. If it isn't there, you might want to stick it into the guide.

Ok.. Just a few comments to, hopefully (?), make the guide a bit better. Another obligatory thanks to Gunny and rbautch.
Old 10-24-2005, 01:01 PM   #296
dsmturbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercurial

3) Use get caller ID?
4) Have TiVo web?

I also would like these hacks on a HR10-250. Mine keeps nagging to call in, and I hate phone lines

mercurial, have you done any hacks to your HD Tivo as yet?
dsmturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 01:05 PM   #297
mercurial
Retro-Av

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmturbo
I also would like these hacks on a HR10-250. Mine keeps nagging to call in, and I hate phone lines

mercurial, have you done any hacks to your HD Tivo as yet?
I'm upgrading it to dual 250s but other than that, no. I'm waiting for Gunny and rbautch to make it easy for my lazy butt.
Old 10-24-2005, 01:10 PM   #298
JediKnight2

You are right rbaucht...it was and HAS to be from the same DTivo...I basically did a Drive upgrade and copied over the 40GB to the 120GB...that is the only way it will work....

mercurial and rbaucht...I see the same problem and there is a work around. First, run the uninstall script then you HAVE to copy over the rbautch-files.tgz file BACK into the hacks folder...then run tweak.sh again and you are golden.

rbaucht I think you should copy the rbautch-files.tgz file into enhancements instead of mv. OR move the file back in the uninstall script so that when you run tweak.sh file again the file is where it is supposed to be. Otherwise you run into the problem stated above where the file isnt in /hacks where tweak.sh is looking.

Last edited by JediKnight2 : 10-24-2005 at 01:20 PM.
Old 10-24-2005, 01:14 PM   #299
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKnight2
DO IT...that sounds like a good idea!
I concur.
That's a GREAT idea
Old 10-24-2005, 01:21 PM   #300
JediKnight2

also make this:

Quote:
Note 2: If you have problems during the installation, post your questions on the TCF support thread here.
DO NOT mention, link to, or discuss The Zipper at ************.com. They will NOT help you, and will likely vilify you for using an installation script like this.
ALL BOLD AND ALL RED!!! AND BLINKING...with LITTLE FINGERS POINTING TO IT ALL AROUND IT....WITH A NEON SIGN GIF BLINKING...READ HERE....READ HERE...IMPORTANT!!!