TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-13-2005, 05:32 PM   #1
MaK10

Tivo and Digital Cable Motorola DCT700

I searched and didnt find much to help.

We just upgraded to digital cable through comcast and they set us up with one of the new, smaller DCT700 motorola boxes. I can't for the life of me get the tivo to work through it. The tivo says its recieving a video signal to the video input from the cable box, but nothing shows up... anyone else hook their tivo's up to one of these new boxes yet?
MaK10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 07:33 AM   #2
danplaysbass
I watch too much TV.

I just moved and had comcast out. I wanted the new box but the guy told my wife that it wouldn't work with the tivo. I'm kinda glad I kept my old box....
Old 09-14-2005, 12:28 PM   #3
Georgia Guy
Early Adapter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaK10
We just upgraded to digital cable through comcast and they set us up with one of the new, smaller DCT700 motorola boxes.
I don't have one, but have read that they are all digital without any analog signal. It supposedly will convert and output analog via the RF connection. Have you tried the RF connection?

BTW, these boxes have been described as a way for cable companies to utilize a cheapo box. But, it does have dual tuners.

Sorry that I don't know more about them.
Old 09-18-2005, 10:30 PM   #4
chjocham
chjocham

The boxes are cute until you realize that there is no serial port and that there is no signal when going through the guided set up. I have mine working (right now at least) and here are the basic steps:

1) Connected everything the way I thought it should be then got to the screen that said I had a signal. Nothing worked from there and I became very unhappy. So decided to continue with the setup even though I got no video on my screen.

1a) REMEMBER THE IR TRANSMITTERS! There is no serial port. Make sure that your IR lights are on the far right of the DCT-700 when looking at it from the front (the sensor is about 3/4 of an inch from the end of the right side of the DCT-700)

2) Started to become resigned to the fact that I could not use this box for Tivo but I would not go down with out fiddling with it as much as possible. I just have the Tivo box, the DCT-700 and my TV so I split the signal from the coaxial cable so it would split into the Tivo box and the DCT-700. Then I took the RCA cables and connected it from DCT-700 out put to Tivo Input. Then I took another ste of RCA cables and connected Tivo output to TV AUX input. Then I took a coaxial cable and connected it from DCT-700 to TV input. My theory was that I could still use Tivo for the non digital channels and see (but not Tivo) the digital channels.

3) I think this worked but before I really fiddled around with it, this set up also enabled me to play with the Tivo settings to see if I could correct the problem. The key was then to go into setup on the Tivo menu and switch the signal Tivo uses (messages and setings - settings - video) until you get a signal. It worked partially and I was overjoyed.

4) I say partially because I could get most of the channels in the 30-40 region, one from 40-50 and all channels from 52-60. Then I started playing around with the wires and tried to reduce the tangled mess there was behind the equipment. In the end I figured that the splitter split the signal and slightly weakened it (I dont actually know if this is true) so not all channels came in. I finally removed the splitter and just had the cable from the wall go directly into the DCT-700.

5) Rejoice. While some of my steps might be useless...it all worked. 2 Days later I did get a Tivo message saying that I need to set up video output because I skipped this step earlier. The message also warned me that I would not be able to use the Tivo recording features with out doing this but I deleted the message and I have full Tivo capability. If I keep getting this message or something else happens I'll try to keep all informed because I think that I am one of the first few with this box in the nation (Philly has it and my cable company in Atlanta told me 2 days ago that they only received the box this week) and this might cause a big and sad problem for many.

Chris
chjocham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 03:35 PM   #5
broofa

Motorola DCT700 (SOLVED!)

To make a long story short, the Motorola DCT700 is, in fact, manufactured by General Instruments (I got this straight from TiVo tech support). So when walking through the channel changing setup you need to choose "GI" as the manufacturer. Crazy huh??? Especially when there isn't a single indication on the box to that effect. Anyhow, when all is said and done, I landed on the 00093-C IR code for this, which seems to be working just fine.

Now if that's not enough, the tech support weenie gave me the following codes to try: 10006, 10019, 10032, 10042, and 10046. I played around with those as well and the 10046-B setting seemed to work. Some others probably do as well, but I spent too much time on this as it is.

Last edited by broofa : 01-05-2006 at 04:29 PM.
broofa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 11:45 AM   #6
Deanorn

Need help

I have a Comcast dct 700 cable box, and I purchased a humax Model: DRT-400 tivo unit. I did all the updates through the phone line, and now it will for example say channel 76 spike but it will how a different channel on. When I change the channel it shows the samething. It seems like its a problem with the IR, I've covered the cable box and that didn't work, I went through all the codes in the tivo for the motorola and the GI cause I saw a post that someone said they had luck with that. Any help would be great.
Deanorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 10:17 AM   #7
KCox

I have a DCT700 and have tried motorola and GI codes but stilll not changing channels. Have brand new IR cable. I do not know what to do anymore. Please help.
KCox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 12:34 PM   #8
christopher710

I am about to try and configure the dct700 with my tivo. Anyone recently have a success with this?

I had another motorola box that crapped out on me and they gave me a dct700 to replace it.
christopher710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 06:35 PM   #9
christopher710

Wow!

Lo and behold, I didn't have to do a thing, the setting for the previous box worked!

Tivo is changing the dct700 channels without a problem.

Yehaaaw!!!!
christopher710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 09:19 AM   #10
nhaigh

Same experience here. I was worried when I saw the box and looked it up here that it wasn't going to work but guided setup ran through and drove the box with no issues at all. 100% compatible as far as I can see.
nhaigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 12:36 PM   #11
gconnery

Lost my DCT 2000 and its wonderful serial port when the box stopped working properly. Now have a DCT 700. Yes it is digital only. Being deployed by Comcast in Northern California now that they are simulcasting all the analog channels over digital, otherwise it wouldn't be usable. Easy setup except for the IR. I went through the new guided setup for IR (the long "now I'm going to try changing to channel XXX" thing), and it partially works. Seems very reliable for two-digit channels, so most of the stuff is getting recorded fine. But it is regularly missing the three digit channels. I'll have to try some of the options mentioned here.
gconnery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 09:18 AM   #12
dylanursula
Two R10s and a DVR40

Do folks have any update on the DCT700?? Is anyone using this with a Dual Tuner Series 2
dylanursula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 10:37 PM   #13
christoc

I just got my box setup with my Series 2 this evening, at least it's doing the dialing now.

I chose Motorola for the manufacturer, after some fiddling with the distance of the IR sensors I got the unit working. The further away they are the better, from what I've noticed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
christoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 10:56 PM   #14
dankavanagh

Scrambled digital channels

Cable outlet connected to DCT700 using RF. DCT700 connected to Tivo using A/V cables. Tivo to Sony Wega TV using A/V cables.

I'm having no problem getting a signal and no problem changing channels. I'm also having no problems with my primary network stations (ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX, etc.). The problem I'm having is with the digital channels (ESPN, TNT, Food, etc.). They video is scrambled and the audio breaks in and out.

I've seen some posts that sound similar to this, but I haven't seen anything conclusive to fix this issue. Thoughts?
dankavanagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 01:46 AM   #15
jyl

I just set up my Tivo ser 2 with the "Motorola" DCT700.

The trick seemed to be to use A/V cables to connect cable box to Tivo.

When using "RF" (coax), the Tivo could not get a signal from the box at all. With the A/V cables, everything set up smoothly and (so far) works fine.
jyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 10:21 PM   #16
jordonb
crashman

DCT-700 help

These Motorola boxes respond to Jerold/GI as in General Instruments that I beleive make them for motorolla. I don't have a tivo but my Sony Digital Receiver got a hit after much labor. Sorry I can't help more but suggest you go for the newer Jerrold or Jerrold/GI if its listed that way.
jordonb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 10:49 AM   #17
classicsat
Astute User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordonb
These Motorola boxes respond to Jerold/GI as in General Instruments that I beleive make them for motorolla
Fact be known, Jerrold was a division of General Instruments, or at least a brand licensee of their technology. Motorola wholly bought out General Instruments about six or seven years ago. Who actually manufactures them is not relavent (they are likey made by some off-shore contract manufacturer), just that they are manufactured to , and programmed to Motorola and the provider's specs.
classicsat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 05:14 PM   #18
arkiados

Note Setup with DCT700

The trick to setting up the Tivo Series 2 using coax with the Motorola DCT700 is, once you have the DCT700 hooked up to the tivo, enter the guided setup. Once in the guided setup (after you have selected that you are using a digital cable box), you get all the way to where you tell it to change channels using the IR transmitter. Just unplug your tivo box. Wait a few minutes, plug it back in and continue through guided setup. It should work fine. I have done this twice.

On another note, it is probably not the wisest thing to just unplug your tivo like that. Its hard on the internals. Do that at your own risk! All i'm saying is that it worked for me.
arkiados is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 05:19 PM   #19
arkiados

If you are hooking up the IR transmitter. I used a rubber band and mounted the IRs facing in on the left and right side of the box. Works great.
arkiados is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 04:21 PM   #20
raardvark

Tivo and Motorola CDT700 Cable Box

Comcast recently switched us from an older digital box to this one. Thanks to several tips in this forum, I was able to get Tivo to recognize and control it. I thought it might be helpful to put together the two points which made it work:

1) Even though the box is labeled a Motorola, it's made by General Instruments and uses their codes. So, when you tell Tivo what box you've got, be sure and choose General Instruments.

2) The placement of the Tivo IR transmitters is important. As you face the cable box, the IR receivers are on your far right side. So, be sure and put the two Tivo transmittors on that far right side.

If you're changing from a previous box, at the Tivo menu choose Settings, then choose Channels, and finally choose Changing Channels. Follow the instructions, remembering to select General Instruments as the manufacturer. The Tivo will then try various codes. Hang in there -- the first ones don't work, but somewhere between the 5th and 10th test, it'll work.

Cheers

Red
Old 05-05-2007, 08:31 PM   #21
gastrof
Look 32' in reverse

Location: We would like tin but for the golden glade. Do not take risks that you cannot return to the encapsulation. Margaret has not the stranding.
The correct term for the Infra Red light source the TiVo uses to send control pulses to the cable box is "emitter" (or even "blaster"), not "transmitter".
Old 05-15-2007, 01:06 PM   #22
SpANG

Quote:
Originally Posted by gastrof
The correct term for the Infra Red light source the TiVo uses to send control pulses to the cable box is "emitter" (or even "blaster"), not "transmitter".
'Transmitter' is technically correct, though way too general. Anything that transmits an Infa Red signal can be known as an IR Transmitter. for instance, a remote control is also an IR transmitter.
SpANG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 02:19 PM   #23
jjfan1

This is what I did. I have had tivo with basic cable for a year. I have Comcast cable in michigan. I recently recieved a postcard stating I can recieve a free Motorola DCT700 box with digital service free for 2 years. I don't really care for the box but I opted for it. After several unsuccessful attempts and several dollars spent on splitters and cables I have finally came up with a workable solution.

I have a RF cable coming from the wall to the cable box. I have A/V (red, white, yellow) cables from the cable box to the input of the tivo box (i have series 2). Then I have a RF cable coming from the RF output of the tivo going to my TV. (A/V output from tivo to your A/V input on the TV works also) I went through settings and did the guided set up again like I did for the first time. I had some trouble with the IR connectors but the key is to make sure it is placed properly. The cable box's IR sensor is located about 3/4 of an inch from the far right side and also make sure the IR emitters are placed at least an inch in front of the cable box's sensors. When I made this minor change for the emitters, the channel changed almost immediately. The guided help finished with no problems. I can now watch digital channels with no problems.

I hope this helps.
jjfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 11:43 AM   #24
Hedo

Arrow Ditgital cable troubles

I got my tivo for christmas the digital cable was doing fine i had no problem but this past week i cant get my digital cable chanels. it goes to the blue screen and says lost your basic cable connection should i just erase everything on there and start from new? and one with ideas please HELP! im usless without my tivo
Hedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 12:16 PM   #25
i80callbox

I have a Tivo Series 2 with a Motorola DCT 700. Except for Channel 1 (On Demand) 2 through 99 are duplicated if they are offered (I have 2-77). They differ only in that one is labeled Cable and the other Box. Also Channel Changing is slow. Help appreciated
i80callbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 06:56 PM   #26
ivyvine420

Just finished setting mine up...

I was kinda stupid as I originally forgot to take the coax in cable from the tivo off and put the "splitter coax tivo side" into that plug and so I didn't have any digital channels working correctly (just said to "wait a Moment" until channels would come in).

Once that was fixed, everything worked fine. If you follow the directions in the quick sart guide with the Tivo (especially when dealing with the S2 DT units), and you make sure to actuvate the DCT700 box correctly first (box and tv connected only with cable straight from the wall outlet and cablebox power straight from wall outlet as well, no surge/power protectors or strips being used) then you should have no problems.

Connect a splitter to coax cable (from wall or whatever, I have 2 3-way splitters and a signal booster before this small 2 way split), have one side go to (coax) cable IN on Cable Box and the other to (coax) Cable IN on Tivo. Have A/V Composite cables from AV Out on Cable box to AV IN on Tivo. Then have AV Out from Tivo with cables to AV IN on TV. You can also add the extra COAX cable from Tivo's coax cable OUT to your TV COAX cable IN which will let you view whatever is the current (being watched) tuner on your tivo on your TV when using your main TV input setting on Remote Control (you most likely have it set to AV(1) or AV2 for actual Tivo viewing). If you have this connection, then when you put the Tivo on Standby mode, you should be able to change from AV on TV to TV mode and watch any of the lower analog channels while Tivo is in standby and possibly recording 2 other shows on the 2 tuners.

As for setup of the box, I just chose the Motorola choice, and said it was digital. When doing the Tests for the IR settings, they initially would change the channel but not to the correct one, and then once it would test trying to change to specific channels (several different ones in a row) then it would work fine. I did not have to stuggle much with the IR Blasters on the box even though the box is so small and not even square/rectangular shaped, I put them infront of the IR dot inside, but slightly to the left as one of the "feet" on the bottom of the unit prevented it from having the bottom located blaster piece from sitting right over it. Both are about an inch infront of the unit with the 2 blaster pieces touching each other, and kind of resting against each other to hold them in place. This does not affect the channel changing, it does this just fine with either my Tivo remote or the Comcast remote, and I have no other IR blasters being used around the apartment at all so I didn't bother to make a "tent" for it as the box seems to change channels just fine without one there.

It has no problems with changing channels to 3 digits numbers like 503.

I have another cablebox Motorola (DCT2000 I think) with the Humax Series 2 unit we have (DRT800) and it seems to be pretty much the same except that it is smaller and doesn't have any displays other than the the Power and Messages LEDs on the front. My other box works with Serial connections so that is easier, and would love to have that on the DCT700, plus an option for at least Component AV instead of just Composite AV plugs. We also have a Series 3 with cable cards and cable cards are more of a hassle, had to buy a new Tivo so I could get the cards to work properly without losing premium channels.
ivyvine420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 09:01 PM   #27
dtphonehome

My Humax DRT400 is connected to my (or RCN's I should say) DCT700 via coax, and I have no problems. I used Motorola as the cable box brand. Would I get better picture using the composite out from the DCT700? I always thought coax had more bandwidth than composite. My TV is connected to the Tivo with component.
dtphonehome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 09:23 PM   #28
Stephen Tu

Composite might be marginally better, it bypasses the TV tuner in the Tivo. It's just baseband signal vs. signal modulated on channel 3. Also you might have to use it this way to get stereo audio as the DCT700 likely doesn't have MTS stereo output.

Quote:
I always thought coax had more bandwidth than composite
Both cables are probably the same amount of bandwidth and it's completely irrelevant anyway as you are only looking at the signal in one 6Mhz channel, a tiny fraction of the total bandwidth.

Composite cables are coaxial; it's just different types of terminators, RCA jack vs. "F-type" screw on connectors.
Stephen Tu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 09:16 AM   #29
classicsat
Astute User

Composite has slightly more bandwidth, since it doesn't have an audio subcarrier tagged on. Plus the RF from the cable box will have mono audio, using the A/V connections will let you use stereo audio.
classicsat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 09:50 PM   #30
dtphonehome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Tu View Post
Composite might be marginally better, it bypasses the TV tuner in the Tivo. It's just baseband signal vs. signal modulated on channel 3. Also you might have to use it this way to get stereo audio as the DCT700 likely doesn't have MTS stereo output.

Both cables are probably the same amount of bandwidth and it's completely irrelevant anyway as you are only looking at the signal in one 6Mhz channel, a tiny fraction of the total bandwidth.

Composite cables are coaxial; it's just different types of terminators, RCA jack vs. "F-type" screw on connectors.
Quote:
Originally Posted by classicsat View Post
Composite has slightly more bandwidth, since it doesn't have an audio subcarrier tagged on. Plus the RF from the cable box will have mono audio, using the A/V connections will let you use stereo audio.
Ah, OK, thanks a lot guys. I didn't even consider the audio aspect of it. I made the change, and it does look a bit better, and sounds a LOT better.
dtphonehome is offline   Reply With Quote