TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Underground
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-29-2005, 01:02 PM   #241
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
I'm learning so much more about the intricacies and fun of TiVo hacking, thanks to rbautch's script. I've read so much and tinkered away, his script has been a real help and has removed lots of the anxiety. Thanks again, rbautch! (and Gunnyman too )

This may have been covered before but I couldn't find it... I am curious to know the rationale behind launching TWP via the TWPrun.sh script (which in turn runs the "/var/hack/tivowebplus/tivoweb console &" command.) Why not just run it directly? I'm sure there's a smart reason behind it. No difference to me, really, as everything works great for the most part, but I did notice that HackMan seems to think TWP isn't launching as a result of my startup lines in rc.sysinit.author, when in fact it is. It just doesn't recognize TWPrun.sh as a valid way of launching it.

So any background on this will be enlightening.
Fofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 01:05 PM   #242
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbautch
Great idea. My original intention was to move the rbautch-files archive back to the root directory before /enhancements got deleted by the uninstall script. Since I keep my tweak.sh script in root, this allows me to uninstall and reinstall the script over and over. I see now that perhaps this is not the best arrangement for casual users.
After we run the script (or uninstall and upgrade) and everything's running well, can we remove the tweak.sh, tweak-uninstall.sh, and rbautch-files.tgz files? Or are we supposed to leave them?
Old 08-29-2005, 01:05 PM   #243
marklyn

restart needed

OK, got that, I'll delete all of those lines and install your script...
couple of more questions...
when I delete the folders and go to install your script, do I answer yes/no to the 'do you have tivo web plus installed?'

I also assume that I say 'yes' to wanting to install it since that question means to install your script, correct?

Finally, do I need to restart once the script installs to start your TWP script?

thanks
marklyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 01:14 PM   #244
rbautch
User

Answer no you don't have it, and yes you want to install it. Reboot when done. If you started the script and prematurely exited, you need to run the uninstall script before you try again.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

rbautch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 01:27 PM   #245
marklyn

flags

I just noticed in the script that it looks for the flag: FLAG_SWAP TIVONET ON & FLAG_SWAP TIVONET-PRE2 ON

I'm guessing that I don't need to remove those flags from the ptv_flags folder, probably doesn't matter since they're not being referenced by me deleting that part of the script, right?
Old 08-29-2005, 02:24 PM   #246
rbautch
User

Tivonet is an ethernet interface for Series 1 Tivos. I'm not sure what the script (in the author file?) is doing, but likely you don't need the flags. If you're deleting the corresponding lines in the author file, then you're right it doesn't matter.

or

Old 08-29-2005, 07:45 PM   #247
marklyn

should I panic?

I followed the instructions as best as I can see to the letter and the install appears to have gone well. I then issued the restart command and now my tivo is stuck at a 'dell' screen... I can still telnet to the HDVR2 but can't ftp or browse to it...

Any ideas?
Old 08-29-2005, 07:52 PM   #248
rbautch
User

What's the dell screen? Without a serial cable it's tough to troubleshoot a boot problem. Try rebooting again.

or

Old 08-29-2005, 07:56 PM   #249
marklyn

no idea about dell screen

Now I'm nervous. There is a 'intel inside' logo combined with Dell splash screen, almost like an ad... No idea where it came from...

I will restart from bash again, if that doesn't work, should I unplug and plug back in?
Old 08-29-2005, 08:03 PM   #250
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

was your tivo HD hacked with a DELL PC? and was the Tivo drive the onbly drive hooked up in the machine when you hacked it?
Old 08-29-2005, 08:11 PM   #251
rbautch
User

Never heard of getting a Dell splash screen. The fact that you can Telnet is equally wierd. Please post the contents of your author file. You might try to put back some of the stuff you deleted. If worst comes to worst, you'll have to pull the drive and hack it from an image.

or

Old 08-29-2005, 08:12 PM   #252
marklyn

not hacked by a dell

No, this was a brand new tivo drive which had a new 6.2 image put on it from PTVupgrade.com and then I added the PTVnet cd which gave me the networking options...

I followed the instructions posted a page earlier in this thread to upgrade to Tivowebplus 1.2.1 and followed them to the letter.

The last thing I did at a bash prompt was issue a restart and when I walked to the next room to look at the tv screen there was a "intel inside" logo up with a dell web address and some other stuff. Can't explain it. I issued another restart with no change.

Then I finally unplugged it. Now my tivo is back up and I can watch tv but I can't ftp, telnet or browse to it anymore.

I'm screwed, ain't I...
MOCA
CC: Sci Atl PK802
TA: Cisco STA1520
TimeWarner Cable-Austin
Old 08-29-2005, 09:02 PM   #253
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
An "intel inside" logo? That can't be from the TiVo software, unless someone hacked in a replacement splash image?

I'm thinking your TiVo crashed and was just frozen on a Dell commercial. Maybe?

Last edited by Fofer : 08-29-2005 at 09:12 PM.
Old 08-29-2005, 09:16 PM   #254
marklyn

sounds reasonable

that sounds reasonable actually.
MOCA
TimeWarner Cable-Austin
Old 08-30-2005, 07:36 AM   #255
rbautch
User

This happened to me a few times when I was trying to come up with replacement splash screens. Tivo is very picky about the exact pixel density and size of replacement images. All the more reason you should hack it from scratch, and then run the script.

or

Old 08-30-2005, 08:37 AM   #256
mgmrick
Haven't broke yet

Rbautch,

Just uninstalled your previous script and installed your newest one. Four tivos not one problem, thanks

Rick
mgmrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 09:10 AM   #257
salvatore

First, many many thanks for this great piece of work. Nicely done, to be sure.

Bullet time:
* Philips DirecTivo DSR704
* Hacked with 6.2
* Western Digital 160gb HDD
* Ver 2.2 of tweak.zip from http://www.mastersav.com/tivo_tweak.html

It appears as though the only issues I have is with the crontab file executing on schedule. I had crond previously installed in /tivo-bin, as well as had an existing root crontab in /var/spool/cron/crontab/. Your start.sh script has
Code:
if [ -d /var/spool/cron ]; then
		echo "Existing cron installation detected in /var/spool/cron, skipping cron install..."
		sleep 3
, so the new crontab file was skipped altogether. Ive copied it to /var/spool/cron/crontab/root and verified crond is running, but the every five minute-write to /var/spool/cron/cronlogs/cron.test.out file isnt being updated as expected.

Here's the root crontab file in its entirety:
Code:
###############################################################################
# crontab by rbautch for enhanced logging, better overall performance,        #
# and elimination of TWP problems in 6.2 with "recording history", season     #
# pass editing and other random problems that are fixed by restarting TWP     # 
#              version 2.5 August 26, 2005                                    #
###############################################################################

# Sample below creates a test file and updates it with current time and date
# every 5 minutes -- use this for troubleshooting.
# m h dom mon dow	command
*/5 * * * *	date >> /var/spool/cron/cronlogs/cron.test.out

# stop Tivowebplus every night at 3:14am cst
14 9 * * * wget -O /dev/null "http://127.0.0.1/quit"; echo "`date` TWP stopped" >> /var/spool/cron/cronlogs/CRONLOG-MAIN

# Start Tivowebplus every night at 3:15am cst
# TWPrun.sh created on the fly by enhancement script
15 9 * * * /enhancements/TWPrun.sh; echo "`date` TWP started">> /var/spool/cron/cronlogs/CRONLOG-MAIN

# Tarball the logs before deleting them, every Sunday night at 3:16am cst
16 9 * * 1 tar -czvf /LOG_ARCHIVE.$(date +\%m\%d_\%H:\%M).tgz /var/log/*

# Delete the LOG_ARCHIVE files every three months
18 9 * 1-12/3 * rm /LOG_ARCHIVE*; echo "`date` LOG_ARCHIVE deleted">> /var/spool/cron/cronlogs/CRONLOG-MAIN

# Wipe the logs every Sunday night at 3:18am cst
18 9 * * 1 wipelogs; echo "`date` logs wiped" >> /var/spool/cron/cronlogs/CRONLOG-MAIN

# Run fakecall every night at 3:20am cst
20 9 * * * tivosh fakecall.tcl; echo "`date` fakecall made" >> /var/spool/cron/cronlogs/CRONLOG-MAIN

# Delete the crond log files every 6 months
22 9 * 1-12/6 * rm /var/spool/cron/cronlogs/*; echo "`date` cron logs wiped">> /var/spool/cron/cronlogs/CRONLOG-MAIN

# Delete cron.test.out every night at 3:24am cst
22 9 * * * rm /var/spool/cron/cronlogs/cron.test.out; echo "`date` cron.test.out deleted" >> /var/spool/cron/cronlogs/CRONLOG-MAIN

# Reboot every Sunday night at 3:25am cst
# Cleans things out for better performance if you have several hacks running
# Also restarts logs, and allows fakecall to reset the last successful call indicator,
# so your Tivo won't call home (fakecall doesn't update mfs entries without a reboot).
# This allows you to keep your phone line connected for PPV ordering.  
25 9 * * 1 reboot; echo "`date` SCHEDULED REBOOT" >> /var/spool/cron/cronlogs/CRONLOG-MAIN
Notice the first executed line has */5 in the minute column instead of just five. I altered that line in my file to read
Code:
5 * * * *	date >> /var/spool/cron/cronlogs/cron.test.out
but still get nothing in the cron.test.out file.

Thoughts?
My apologies if this has been discussed before; my searching didnt yield anything material.
psn radio - http://www.palmisanonet.com:9875
salvatore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 09:34 AM   #258
rbautch
User

*/5 is correct. I believe just "5" will run a task at 6:05, 7:05, 8:05, etc. In addition to copying crond and crontab, the script sets up some user definitions that allow cron to run properly. You have two options at this point: First option is to delete all your crontabs and crond binaries, run the uninstall script, and then re-rerun the script again. Second option is to manually create user definitions. Search for instructions by Alphawolf on DDB to do this. I also wrote a standalone script to do this automatically, and posted here on TCF somewhere. The crontab that I used with the script is old, so backup and restore your new one if you go this route.

or

Old 08-30-2005, 09:38 AM   #259
rbautch
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmrick
Rbautch,

Just uninstalled your previous script and installed your newest one. Four tivos not one problem, thanks

Rick
Awesome! Please note that when you run the uninstall script, it copies the rbautch-files.tgz archive back to the root directory, so you can install/uninstall the script over and over. If you copy the new script and archive to your root directory before uninstalling, the new file archive will get overwritten by the old one during the uninstall....not good. So, the moral of the story is: uninstall first, then copy the new script over. I'll fix this next time around.

or

Old 08-30-2005, 09:43 AM   #260
salvatore

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbautch
*/5 is correct. I believe just "5" will run a task at 6:05, 7:05, 8:05, etc. In addition to copying crond and crontab, the script sets up some user definitions that allow cron to run properly. You have two options at this point: First option is to delete all your crontabs and crond binaries, run the uninstall script, and then re-rerun the script again. Second option is to manually create user definitions. Search for instructions by Alphawolf on DDB to do this. I also wrote a standalone script to do this automatically, and posted here on TCF somewhere. The crontab that I used with the script is old, so backup and restore your new one if you go this route.
Thanks for the good detail; I'll attempt an uninstall/reinstall this evening and report my results.
Old 08-30-2005, 10:04 AM   #261
salvatore

Quote:
Originally Posted by salvatore
Thanks for the good detail; I'll attempt an uninstall/reinstall this evening and report my results.
Potentially dumb question: should one reboot after running the uninstall script? Reading through it's syntax reveals a reboot isnt strictly necessary, save for the restore of the splash screen, but rater safe than pulling the drive.
Old 08-30-2005, 11:40 AM   #262
rbautch
User

You are correct. Reboot is not necessary after uninstall, except it would bring back the old splash screen and .profile. Since you'll be putting those things back when you reinstall, a reboot is not necessary.

or

Old 08-30-2005, 01:19 PM   #263
regicat

marklyn, if you exactly followed my instructions on the previous page this would all work fine. You did not have to mess with the author file, although deleting the lines makes it "cleaner". It sound like the author file is messed up. It could be as simple as using the right editor or trying dos2unix. That would be the first place I look. But since you no longer have telnet you will need a serial cable or pull the drive and boot to ptvnet cd and run dos2unix.
regicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 03:13 PM   #264
salvatore

Success!

The first install didnt execute properly due to this issue. Im using Putty to telnet directly to the Tivo and it sends two carriage returns instead on one with each single press of the 'Enter' key. When I use Putty to SSH to my linux box and then telnet from there, there's only one CR sent each time.

When I was telnetting to the Tivo itself the script would accept my first 'y' response and receive a CR for the second, chosing the else path on the if statement. Using SSH first and telnetting from one of my linux machines worked as expected.

The only issue I ran into relates to the .profile entry for the 'root' command. It sets the alias to 'vi /etc/spool/cron/crontabs/root' instead of 'vi /var/spool/cron/crontabs/root. Manually edited the alias, logged out and back in, and all is well again.

Thanks for your help; this script is an awesome piece of work.
Old 08-30-2005, 03:24 PM   #265
rbautch
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by salvatore
Success!

The first install didnt execute properly due to this issue. Im using Putty to telnet directly to the Tivo and it sends two carriage returns instead on one with each single press of the 'Enter' key. When I use Putty to SSH to my linux box and then telnet from there, there's only one CR sent each time.

When I was telnetting to the Tivo itself the script would accept my first 'y' response and receive a CR for the second, chosing the else path on the if statement. Using SSH first and telnetting from one of my linux machines worked as expected.

The only issue I ran into relates to the .profile entry for the 'root' command. It sets the alias to 'vi /etc/spool/cron/crontabs/root' instead of 'vi /var/spool/cron/crontabs/root. Manually edited the alias, logged out and back in, and all is well again.

Thanks for your help; this script is an awesome piece of work.
I wish I could fix that CR/LF issue, but it looks like it has to be handled on the user's side. Sorry about the profile. I'll fix that right up.

or

Old 08-30-2005, 07:05 PM   #266
marklyn

finally got everything working

a BIG thanks to rbautch for providing me with extensive assistance during this process.
My confusion was with a upgrade to an existing image with PTVnet installalled. The initial install script (rbatuch's) appeared to work ok but then I lost connectivity with my HDVR2... turns out that my rc.sysinit.author file had control M's throughout it and, even though I manually cleaned that file, I ended up putting a new 6.2 image on, installing PTVnet (without tivowebplus) and then installing rbautch's 1.2.1 script from there.

All in all I finally got it working but it was never the install script, it was more my lack of experience and understanding in unix and the script files. I'm certainly no expert but I definitly know a ton more than I did 24 hours ago and hopefully I can pass the help on to someone else one day when help was given to me.
MOCA
TimeWarner Cable-Austin
Old 09-02-2005, 04:30 PM   #267
fredfillis
Linuxly Challenged

rbautch, thanks again for the awesome job you've done with this script. I have a question though.

Why would you put tivowebplus into /var/hack ?

I've only had my unit up for a month and have already tivo has reconstructed /var once. Backing up the entire /var via FTP is not a very practical solution I have found although I probably only really need /var/hack and /var/mfs_ftp. My FTP client chokes badly on some of the mfs_ftp files.

Anyway, just interested if there is a reason for installing into var.
Old 09-02-2005, 06:08 PM   #268
rbautch
User

I'm not an expert on where to store hacks. I believe the best way is to create a special partition for hacks, but I've never tried that, and it's well beyond the capabilities of the script. Barring that option, I'd appreciate some advice if anyone knows for sure where the best place to store hacks is. What I do know is that when /var gets full, /var gets wiped. When I type "df" at bash, it shows that I have much more room in /var than in root, so I put TWP in /var/hack. Even after I install TWP, I still have plenty of room in /var. I suppose I could delete the backup tivoapp that superpatch creates, then I'd free up more space in root.

or

Old 09-02-2005, 06:20 PM   #269
BTUx9
back?

the issue is seldom space in root... because of how it's designed, the tivo will happily run even if you use up ALL the extra space there.

Tivo designed the box to be an appliance... they didn't want any of the running software to be corrupted, so they left root readonly. They were using ext2, a non-journaled filesystem, so rather than trying to have linux FIX any errors in var, they just clobbered and rebuilt if var had any serious errors.

So, if you keep important stuff in var, there's always a chance of it being wiped (unless you change the startup scripts... non-trivial)
If you keep root read-write, then you run the risk of serious corruption (even though it's fairly unlikely because the things that are being changed aren't crucial to the tivo's functioning) or, more likely, space disappearing. Running e2fsck regularly on root is suggested, if it's rw.

re: special partition for hacks... it works, and works well, but has 2 problems.
1) carving out the space initially... especially difficult if you don't create a bunch of extra space for it in the swap partition when you mfsrestore
2) won't be backed up with mfsbackup
BTUx9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 06:52 PM   #270
rbautch
User

Very interesting, thanks. I have always found this a difficult subject to search on.

or