TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Underground
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-19-2007, 09:16 PM   #2401
Soapm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MungoJerrie
Sorry, my bad. I didn't realize your Tivo is unhacked. After doing some research on your previous posts, I see you have a 649DT. As you're aware, you need a Prom mod before you can hack and you need it hacked before you can telnet, ftp and do the enhancements, etc.
Yep, I decided to keep my Tivo but I will build a PC to stream movies from. I am not looking forward to soldering a prom but I guess the kid in my won't let me have a limited toy. I am looking around for a prom already flashed and will replace it with I install this 500 gig drive that just arrived today. So sounds like once I replace the prom I will have FTP ability and will be able to run Sapper from there???
Soapm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 09:52 PM   #2402
Xtra7973

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soapm
I am not looking forward to soldering a prom but I guess the kid in my won't let me have a limited toy. I am looking around for a prom already flashed and will replace it with I install this 500 gig drive that just arrived today. So sounds like once I replace the prom I will have FTP ability and will be able to run Sapper from there???
If you go to Rbautch's installation page here for SApper and read note 2 you will find what you're looking for. And yes after the prom is replaced you could then run the SApper on it and have all those hacks.
Xtra7973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 10:40 PM   #2403
Soapm

Thanks, I guess I'm getting closer. How do I know if I need a 3V or 12V?

Your choice of SST37VF010 (12V) or SST39VF010 (3V) chip double-verified to within 5% of the nominal voltage.

What's the difference?
Old 05-20-2007, 12:50 AM   #2404
Omikron

Quote:
Thanks, I guess I'm getting closer. How do I know if I need a 3V or 12V?

Your choice of SST37VF010 (12V) or SST39VF010 (3V) chip double-verified to within 5% of the nominal voltage.

What's the difference?
The OEM PROM chip in the TiVo is an SST37 chip, and requires 3V to read, but 12V to erase. This means that most programmers will not be able to program it, and that the TiVo will be unable to reflash the chip in-place.

The SST39 is identical every way but can be erased and programmed with 3V. Some people prefer this one if they are trying to use various home brew methods of flashing the chip, but it could potentially open up the possibility of the TiVo re-writing the chip. It hasn't happened yet, and it's unlikely that TiVo would ever do so, but it's still possible.

Realistically, once the chip is flashed it never needs to be reflashed. Otherwise, TiVo would have used a SST39 instead of SST37 at the factory. I'd recommend the 12V chip.
Omikron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 01:29 AM   #2405
Soapm

Thanks, ordered 12V.
Old 05-20-2007, 01:45 AM   #2406
Omikron

Quote:
Thanks, ordered 12V.
No problem.

Also, before you begin chopping up your TiVo make sure you have the proper tools to work on PLCC packages, and perhaps practice on some scrap boards. If you accidentally destroy the traces or the pads, you will be a very unhappy camper. ;-)
Omikron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 03:38 AM   #2407
dadio73

Thank You!

Thanks everyone, I finally got my Tivo working thanks to this forum. I appreciate all the hard work that alot of you did on these files. It boggles my mind how anyone can figure this sh*t out. Thanks again, gonna watch some TV now!
dadio73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 11:42 PM   #2408
MrWizard1974

6.2 Image error

Hi again. Some time ago i zippered my direct tv Hdvr-40 with verry little problems but it when the disk gets full of recordings its like it overwrites the script and acts funny. i had to ftp stuff back into the tivo that got removed such as TWP and the unit stopped making the fake calls but about a month ago i got out of the hospital after a 2 week stay and the tivo was stuck in a reboot loop when it got to the updating info screen. i pulled the drive and tried to reZipper it and it loaded all the way this time but without record option it said there was a hardware problem and i needed to resolve it before i could record .. ok fine now i pull the drive again and zero it out and start fresh with the new zipper script and this tiem and the time before when it loads the 6.2 image i get this message
"Restore failed: Decompression error..82%)" this happnds with both old and new zipper script the drive. i am using is a segate 160gig. i pulled the drive again and ran the segate utilitys on it and did a full zero fill again and checked it for errors and the drive shows good im going to hook it up to 2-3 other computers and see if its just a hardware issue with this pc but if any1 has any input on this pls give a shout out TIA
MrWizard1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 07:26 AM   #2409
texster

Folders.tcl problem

Using folders.tcl, I created a new folder, and tried to add more shows to it, "somehow", the script kept adding more than the shows I was targeting. When I tried to reverse the process it removed every show from its respective folder.

The end result is that I now have no grouping capablility (like the bad old days before 6.2). Is there a work-around to restore these to their original state?
texster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 02:00 PM   #2410
rbautch
User

When you add or remove shows from a folder, it works on partial matches. So when adding shows to a folder, if you enter "Miami", it will add all episodes of CSI Miami and Miami Vice to the target folder. If you accidentally enter "the" for the show title, or leave it blank entirely, it will pretty much add everything to that folder. Same goes for removing shows from a folder - my guess is that you removed every show from its folder. Note that you didn't lose the capability to group shows, it's just that the shows currently on your tivo no longer have a series object that groups them into a folder. New recorded shows will continue to group normally. To fix the old shows, you'll have to use the script to manually add them to the folders. You'll have to wait until that particular show is recorded from a live broadcast to get a valid folder to put the old shows into. If you can determine what went wrong, I'd be happy to try and figure out a way to prevent it from happening again. I think one other user had the same problem when he fat-fingered an entry. There's a support thread floating around on TCF somewhere.

Last edited by rbautch : 05-22-2007 at 08:54 PM.
rbautch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 02:53 PM   #2411
texster

I am pretty sure it was a double return from the telnet. I generally telnet without the added steps need for xp. I am usually pretty good about holdging down the the ctrl key, but looking at the readout, it is clear that I didnt. So when prompted on which action I wanted to perform, I entered 3, hit return, and because I didn't hold down the ctrl key, the next prompt asking for which show I want to remove was returned blank. Then everything got removed from it's respective folder.

I suppose as preventive measure, after someone enters 3, next prompt for the folder from which it is to be extracted first, and/or don't accept blank entries.

As for restoring my old groups, I did a little searching around and in some ancient posts somewhere they talked about deleting and undeleting to reindex these files, which some how restores the seriesobject. I dont do mfs@ftp, but I think this is or was a concern for inserted shows not being able to be grouped. I was kind of hoping you had done some work on restoring the seriesobject.

Russ, if you really want to add to your legend, you could figure out how to make custom folders an option via the peanut.

As always, thanks, a thousand times thanks.
texster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 12:40 PM   #2412
dkdevin

I'm going to apologize in advance for this n00b question. I've looked everywhere. I understand what MRV is, I've read and searched for what seems like days.

?: When MRV is working what am I supposed to see on the NPL? I understand it should be the name of the other Tivo. Is this only in TivoWebPlus or should I actually see the other Tivo listed on the NPL on the TV screen?

Regardless of the answer to those questions, I'm not seeing it in either place. When I telnet and type in ps, what service should I see running? Any help would be greatly appreciated! THANK YOU!

DKDEVIN
--------------------------------------
DSR7000, 120GB, 6.2a Zipper'd
SD-DVR40, 40GB, 6.2 Zipper'd

Last edited by dkdevin : 05-23-2007 at 12:41 PM. Reason: added signature
dkdevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 07:48 PM   #2413
JWThiers
Smartypants

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkdevin
I'm going to apologize in advance for this n00b question. I've looked everywhere. I understand what MRV is, I've read and searched for what seems like days.

?: When MRV is working what am I supposed to see on the NPL? I understand it should be the name of the other Tivo. Is this only in TivoWebPlus or should I actually see the other Tivo listed on the NPL on the TV screen?

Regardless of the answer to those questions, I'm not seeing it in either place. When I telnet and type in ps, what service should I see running? Any help would be greatly appreciated! THANK YOU!

DKDEVIN
--------------------------------------
DSR7000, 120GB, 6.2a Zipper'd
SD-DVR40, 40GB, 6.2 Zipper'd
Should see your other tivos at the bottom of the NPL.
Old 05-28-2007, 07:23 AM   #2414
ARC

Having run Zipper back 8 months or so, and wanting to upgrade from 3.1 to 6.3d, should I (can I)(how do I) run the latest tweak.sh on my HR10-250 BEFORE the upgrade happens, or should I try to do it after the box gets upgraded to 6.3d?

I am also having trouble understanding the best way to trigger the actual upgrade.
using
750gigs-TiVo# echo mls /SwSystem | tivosh
Directory of /SwSystem starting at ''

Name Type FsId Date Time Size
---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ----
3.1.5f-01-2-357 tyDb 850 03/14/05 17:41 700
6.3a-01-2-357 tyDb 174900 09/23/06 07:45 772
ACTIVE tyDb 850 03/14/05 17:41 700

shows that I do not have the 6.3d version (actually have the 6.3a from 9/2006), but TivoWebPlus shows that the next three days TivoServiceData is set to run at 2am, so I presume that it will get the 6.3d version then.

Once the version has arrived, how do I get past the fakecall that is running so that the new version will install, and is there already a set of instructions on using tweak.sh again on an already-tweaked HR10-250?
If I copy over the tweak.sh and overwrite the current file there, do I need any other files before I execute it?
I still have my original CDs I used to hack the box, as well as the original 250 gig drive but I'd like to not have to pull the drive if I can avoid the downtime. SWMBO factor is pretty important... (She Who Must Be Obeyed...)
Old 05-29-2007, 08:04 AM   #2415
Carlton Bale

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARC
Having run Zipper back 8 months or so, and wanting to upgrade from 3.1 to 6.3d, should I (can I)(how do I) run the latest tweak.sh on my HR10-250 BEFORE the upgrade happens, or should I try to do it after the box gets upgraded to 6.3d?
It doesn't really matter, but I'd suggest running it before just to make sure you have the latest versions of everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARC
TivoWebPlus shows that the next three days TivoServiceData is set to run at 2am, so I presume that it will get the 6.3d version then.
Seeing as you have not recieved 6.3b or 6.3c, I don't think you'll be getting 6.3d any time soon. Did you start out with a PTVupgrade image or drive? I'm not sure what is wrong with their images, but they have one with the 3.1.5.f active and the 6.3a slices pre-loaded. That image will not download newer versions of software. I'm not sure what the fix for this is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARC
Once the version has arrived, how do I get past the fakecall that is running so that the new version will install, and is there already a set of instructions on using tweak.sh again on an already-tweaked HR10-250?
See this how-to article that discusses performing a manual software upgrade and also discusses using The Slicer ($20 from PTVupgrade.com) as an automated alternative.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: devoted to documentation of everything TiVo
Carlton Bale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 09:46 AM   #2416
ARC

I did not get an update last night Even after editing my rc.sysint.author file I cannot conduct a successful phone call, so I am a little baffled as to how to make the upgrade happen au naturel. I guess slicer is my next option.
I did dl over the bautch file, and successfully run the latest tweak (after a few false starts and stops), and it installed the 2.0 TWPlus which is really useful.

I do wonder if, as long as 6.3a is on my TiVo, that keeps it from going for the latest version?

If that is the case, is it possible to DELETE via telnet or WS FTP Pro the upgrade file? I don't see it except by issuing the
echo mls /SwSystem | tivosh
command. Using FFind 6.3* doesn't return anything.
<baffled>

The kernel information (thanks to TivoWebPlus 2.0) is
Version 2.4.20
Compile #22 Fri Feb 20 18:19:25 PST 2004
Old 05-29-2007, 10:11 AM   #2417
JWThiers
Smartypants

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARC
I did not get an update last night Even after editing my rc.sysint.author file I cannot conduct a successful phone call, so I am a little baffled as to how to make the upgrade happen au naturel. I guess slicer is my next option.
I did dl over the bautch file, and successfully run the latest tweak (after a few false starts and stops), and it installed the 2.0 TWPlus which is really useful.

I do wonder if, as long as 6.3a is on my TiVo, that keeps it from going for the latest version?

If that is the case, is it possible to DELETE via telnet or WS FTP Pro the upgrade file? I don't see it except by issuing the
echo mls /SwSystem | tivosh
command. Using FFind 6.3* doesn't return anything.
<baffled>

The kernel information (thanks to TivoWebPlus 2.0) is
Version 2.4.20
Compile #22 Fri Feb 20 18:19:25 PST 2004
Try this thread. It should have information on upgrading 6.3
Old 05-29-2007, 10:22 AM   #2418
ARC

I had read through that thread - it appears that some people have gotten the 6.3d to download while 6.3c was still on their machine. But I do not see anyone talking about how to force/cause the download of 6.3d.
Am I doomed to have to install 6.3a in order to get to a more recent/less buggy 6.3 version?
Old 05-29-2007, 10:27 AM   #2419
MasterOfPuppets
TCF Bookie

I'm pretty sure that I must be the stupidest newbie alive.
I ran the enhancement script and finally got TWP 2.0 so that it'd show up in my browser.
I installed Hackman 5.5.x following the readme instructions and activated it following the super secret instructions.
Since the enhancement script installs /TivoWebPlus with 700 permission I did a
Code:
chmod -R 777 /TivoWebPlus
And...in order to have proper permission to FTP and overwrite everything
Code:
chmod -R 777 /TivoWebPlus/bin_mips/
chmod -R 777 /TivoWebPlus/bin_ppc/
chmod -R 777 /TivoWebPlus/images/
chmod -R 777 /TivoWebPlus/modules/
Otherwise, I got file transfer errors. I clicked through overwriting everything, and didn't get any errors.
After finishing I did
Code:
chmod -R 700 /TivoWebPlus
and the same for all sub-directories listed above, followed by "ro" and "twprs" at bash.
And now...once again, I get a "Problem loading page" in my browser when directed to my.tivo.ip.address:tivoport
I've also tried a chmod +x on the bin directories and the individual files contained within as well.
What am I screwing up?

Last edited by MasterOfPuppets : 05-29-2007 at 09:57 PM.
MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 12:05 PM   #2420
rbautch
User

For standalone tivos, you need to set the port to something other than 80, since 80 is already claimed by the tivo welcome message.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
or

Old 05-29-2007, 12:12 PM   #2421
MasterOfPuppets
TCF Bookie

It is now set to 8080, which is how I got TWP to show up the first time.
Since installing Hackman, I can't get it back up.

I should probably take this over to the Hackman thread...I'm just not sure if installing TWP manually is going to have made things different than installing TWP through this script.
MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 12:19 PM   #2422
ARC

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets
I'm pretty sure that I must be the stupidest newbie alive.
Naw, gotcha beat!

In trying to get my long-hacked system from last September to dial in to get the 6.3d upgrade file, I found a message thread (after hours and hours of reading over multiple days and trying various options that all failed to get the dial in to work) that seemed to be a solution to my problem.

Following that thread's info, I edited rc.sysinit (changed Debug_Board from =false to =true), then rebooted, and that now apparently prevents my TiVo from booting past the "Welcome. Powering up..." message. Self inflicted pain, that's for sure. It's been stuck for more than an hour, so I am pretty sure I'm hosed but good.

I think I am going to have to pull the hard drive and stick it into a pc, ( don't have any laptops anymore with a serial port<G>) and boot on my old linux boot CD that I have (I think I still have it) (from Sep 06) in order to get to a point where I can edit that file back to Debug-board=false .

Anyone care to laugh, jeer, whatever, as long as they maybe help me out by cluing me in on the series of commands once I get to a prompt on that PC?
I'll have to mount it rw, I think, then navigate to where the file is - rc.sys ? , then use a linux editor (joe, vi?) to edit =false, then save the file, mount ro , then hopefully back to normal 3.1.5f ?
Old 05-30-2007, 07:32 AM   #2423
Carlton Bale

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARC
I think I am going to have to pull the hard drive and stick it into a pc, ( don't have any laptops anymore with a serial port<G>) and boot on my old linux boot CD that I have (I think I still have it) (from Sep 06) in order to get to a point where I can edit that file back to Debug-board=false .

Anyone care to laugh, jeer, whatever, as long as they maybe help me out by cluing me in on the series of commands once I get to a prompt on that PC?
I'll have to mount it rw, I think, then navigate to where the file is - rc.sys ? , then use a linux editor (joe, vi?) to edit =false, then save the file, mount ro , then hopefully back to normal 3.1.5f ?
I would recommend getting a USB-to-serial adapter and a TiVo serial cable to connect that way.

If you pull the drive, you have to mount the correct partition on that drive. From memory, I think rc.sysinit.author is in the root partition, which is either /dev/hda4 or /dev/hda7 on the mounted tivo drive (assuming the drive is connected to the PC as primary master). Mount and look at both partitions to find which one contains the file you edited. Then use Joe to re-edit the file and save it.

: devoted to documentation of everything TiVo
Carlton Bale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 07:38 AM   #2424
ARC

The drive is currently in a pc booted with a linux boot cd.
I started a dd to make a copy of the entire 750 gig to a new 750gig as a backup, last night around 11pm. I used the dma commands first, but it is still chugging away this morning.
When I get home tonite from work I'll try to fix the permissions and the cr/lf that apparently I introduced into the rc.sysint files, and see if that fixes my self-inflicted problem.
THEN, I will go back to trying to get the &#$)( thang to get the 6.3d upgrade file so I can upgrade the system. <sigh>

Old 05-30-2007, 10:25 PM   #2425
juanian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARC
The drive is currently in a pc booted with a linux boot cd.
I started a dd to make a copy of the entire 750 gig to a new 750gig as a backup, last night around 11pm. I used the dma commands first, but it is still chugging away this morning.
When I get home tonite from work I'll try to fix the permissions and the cr/lf that apparently I introduced into the rc.sysint files, and see if that fixes my self-inflicted problem.
THEN, I will go back to trying to get the &#$)( thang to get the 6.3d upgrade file so I can upgrade the system. <sigh>
Interestingly enough, I get much quicker dd copy results when I use the raw drive devices (on my OS X Mac via firewire & USB); I can't do much PC-wise, since the (old) desktop PC I have won't access more than 137GB. Is there a problem using the /dev/r* devices?
Old 05-30-2007, 11:42 PM   #2426
ARC

Quote:
Originally Posted by juanian
Is there a problem using the /dev/r* devices?
No idea what that means...

I am reluctant to power down and start some other means from scratch - the ne hard drive will undoubtedly be hosed, and I don't know what it would do to my TiVo drive.
Old 05-31-2007, 11:00 PM   #2427
ARC

FWIF- copying the entire 750 gig drive to another 750 gig identical drive using dd took around 36 hours.
Old 06-01-2007, 11:24 PM   #2428
juanian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARC
No idea what that means...

I am reluctant to power down and start some other means from scratch - the ne hard drive will undoubtedly be hosed, and I don't know what it would do to my TiVo drive.
I understand -- what I had meant is using something like /dev/rhda4 instead of /dev/hda4 -- when I was copying a drive, it sped up the copy significantly (under Mac OS X) from a USB-connected drive to a FireWire-connected drive; I would suspect that it should also work with strictly IDE drives (but I can't test it myself). Maybe someone else has more experience with this.

I think the speed-up factor was like about 10 times faster. (Thinking back using my 'grand' memory,) I seem to recall initially starting the copy and estimating that it would take well over 30 hours (to copy a 200 GB drive); I stopped the copy and tried using the raw devices, and it took like 3 or 4 hours. (Sorry - I didn't save my terminal logs from that time, just the dd commands I had determined that I needed to use.)

EDIT: FYI: The commands I have noted are:
date; time dd if=/dev/rdisk1 of=/dev/rdisk4 bs=1024k
and
date; time dd if=/dev/rdisk1 of=/dev/rdisk4 bs=128M

I don't recall if they were considerably different in their execution times.
Old 06-09-2007, 07:19 AM   #2429
technojunkie

Sometime ago I Zippered my HR10-250, which included "This Script" . For the most part it runs just fine. After 6.3D was released I checked, but my Zippered unit did not receive the download. Not via satellite anyway. Checking MFS I do not see the download. I was told by D that in order to receive the upgrade I would have to make a daily call. So I disabled Fakecall in RC Sysinet by comenting "#" out the line to run Fakecall.tcl. Now when I try to make a test call or make the daily call the unit reboots. Where did I go wrong?
technojunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 09:58 AM   #2430
rbautch
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by technojunkie
Sometime ago I Zippered my HR10-250, which included "This Script" . For the most part it runs just fine. After 6.3D was released I checked, but my Zippered unit did not receive the download. Not via satellite anyway. Checking MFS I do not see the download. I was told by D that in order to receive the upgrade I would have to make a daily call. So I disabled Fakecall in RC Sysinet by comenting "#" out the line to run Fakecall.tcl. Now when I try to make a test call or make the daily call the unit reboots. Where did I go wrong?
Check the first post of the "upgrading your hacked hr10-250 to 6.3" thread for links to threads on how to get the download. If you're going to force a call, you have to remove a few "dead routes" from your author file.

or