TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Underground
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-27-2005, 09:14 AM   #211
rbautch
User

Not sure what happened, but you can manually copy the /enhancements/new_splash_rcb.png to /tvbin, and then rename it to AlmostThere.png. The error may have been caused when it tried to back up your old splash screen, not when it installed the new one. You might try to FTP the current AlmostThere.png file to your PC and see if the new one is already there.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

rbautch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 09:23 AM   #212
tsunami

Using puttytel and installing the script I got all sorts of errors, so I ran it from telnet using your Win XP SP2 tips.
Installed fine, you might need to add a note that with XP2 it is best to run from telenet with the existing instructions.
Thanks for all your work and support.
tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 10:23 AM   #213
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Just updated my two HDVR2's without much issue. Added back my TWP tweaks and updated my rc.sysinit.author file and now I'm back in business.

Thanks for the great script, rbautch!
Fofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 10:37 AM   #214
rbautch
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunami
Using puttytel and installing the script I got all sorts of errors, so I ran it from telnet using your Win XP SP2 tips.
Installed fine, you might need to add a note that with XP2 it is best to run from telenet with the existing instructions.
Thanks for all your work and support.
Does puttytel have any settings for CR/LF? In AbsoluteTelnet, it's under VT Settings, and I have to select the option that "Enter" sends the "CR" not "CR/LF". The issue is how various telnet clients interpret the "enter" or "return" at the end of each line. We want carriage return, not carriage return/line feed.

edit: I found a puttytel changelog on google that said the following: Pressing Return in a Telnet session now sends Telnet NL instead of Telnet CR (in raw data, that's CR-LF not CR-NUL; ^J continues to send just LF). Unix telnetds should not notice any difference; others might suddenly start working. Patch due to Robert de Bath.

This appears to be the problem. See if there's a setting to change it back to CR.

or

Last edited by rbautch : 08-27-2005 at 10:43 AM.
Old 08-27-2005, 02:00 PM   #215
tsunami

Might be a good idea to just recommend all XP SP2 users to just go with the telnet instructions. It would make it easier for all (including you answering questions).
Mike
tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 03:06 PM   #216
bengalfreak

I have a question rbautch. I followed the Dellanave guide to upgrading to 6.2 via slices on one of my DTivos. This guide has you place tivotools.tar utilities in a directory called /tivo-bin instead of /busybox. Would that screw up the installation of your script?
Old 08-27-2005, 03:11 PM   #217
rbautch
User

No that's fine, but the script will create a busybox directory for you and copy a new crond binary in there, which takes up extra space. To save space, just delete crond from the /tivo-bin directory. Gunnyman suggested I modify the script to look for this particular configuration, and I'll do that for the next release.

or

Old 08-28-2005, 05:06 AM   #218
bengalfreak

Great, thanks.
Old 08-28-2005, 04:00 PM   #219
bengalfreak

rbautch,

after installing your script, everything appears to be working swimmingly except for the channel logos. Before, I had a couple of logos in my Now Playing list. Now I have no logos whatsoever in either the NP list or the guide banner. Any ideas?
Old 08-28-2005, 04:25 PM   #220
rbautch
User

Try manually loading the logo slice files by first extracting two files from the rbautch-files.tgz archive...dbload30.tcl and LG-standard-v193.slice. FTP them to your Tivo, and load the slice file with:

tivosh dbload30.tcl LG*

You should get an error message that looks like:
Code:
28 Aug 21:17:48 ntpdate[22583]: no server suitable for synchronization found
    while executing
"exec /bin/ntpdate -bu 127.0.0.1"
    (file "dbload30.tcl" line 34)
...which can safely be ignored.

or

Old 08-28-2005, 04:46 PM   #221
Human123
DTivo TakeitOrLeavo

I just installed your script on one of my Tivos' and it went flawlessly. Very nice job. As the above poster indicated I also only have a few logos. Will is take time for them to come in or should they be there right away?

I had a question on TWP. I understand that the script auto installs and starts it. My question is that in the past when I manually start it, one of the lines says that it is making the root read/write. Does yours do this? I know it installs in var so it shouldn't need to make the root read/write and I understand there are dangers by leaving your root read/write when it does not need to be.
Thanks
Human123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 05:09 PM   #222
rbautch
User

After a reboot, the logos should be there right away.

When my script lauches, it mounts the root file system as read-write. It only installs TWP, but does not start it (well, not directly anyway). Instead, it appends your author file with a line that calls a newly created short script called TWPrun.sh, which actually starts TWP when you reboot. When my script finishes, it mounts your directory read-only again, so it's safe to reboot. I think the line you see is Hackman mounting read-write so it can create some config files. Remember, you can use your new profile aliases to switch between read-only and read-write, just by typing "ro" or "rw" from bash.

or

Old 08-28-2005, 05:27 PM   #223
Human123
DTivo TakeitOrLeavo

Thanks,
I am going to try your slice suggestion above to get the logos, but wanted to know where I should ftp the two files? To the enhancements directory? Or /hacks where tweaks.sh resides?
The reason for the question is I want to stay as close as possible to your original script so the uninstall would still get everything.
Thanks
Old 08-28-2005, 05:41 PM   #224
bengalfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbautch
Try manually loading the logo slice files by first extracting two files from the rbautch-files.tgz archive...dbload30.tcl and LG-standard-v193.slice. FTP them to your Tivo, and load the slice file with:

tivosh dbload30.tcl LG*

You should get an error message that looks like:
Code:
28 Aug 21:17:48 ntpdate[22583]: no server suitable for synchronization found
    while executing
"exec /bin/ntpdate -bu 127.0.0.1"
    (file "dbload30.tcl" line 34)
...which can safely be ignored.
I did as you said and got exactly the error shown above. But even after a reboot, I still have no logos whatsoever.

Edit: Actually, there was one small difference in the error I got. After ntpdate, the number in the brackets is 861 instead of 22583.
Old 08-28-2005, 05:52 PM   #225
rbautch
User

The only other think I can think of is to try the old logo slice (logo-67.slice). If you still have an old rbautch-files.tgz you can get it from there, or else download it from DDB. One more obvious thing, but I have to ask....logos don't show up next to folders in NP, you have to open the folders to see the actual listing.

or

Old 08-28-2005, 06:12 PM   #226
Human123
DTivo TakeitOrLeavo

Doh!!!

I can't believe everything was in a folder...

Thanks again
Old 08-29-2005, 04:36 AM   #227
bengalfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbautch
The only other think I can think of is to try the old logo slice (logo-67.slice). If you still have an old rbautch-files.tgz you can get it from there, or else download it from DDB. One more obvious thing, but I have to ask....logos don't show up next to folders in NP, you have to open the folders to see the actual listing.

Geez, what a freakin' idiot I am. I was checking the Now Playing list and the guide. Everything in NP was in a folder and of course the logos show up on the info screen, not the guide. I apologize profusely for wasting your time. I thought I knew alot about the workings of my TiVo. Guess not. Thanks again Rbautch. I'll just sit over here and keep my mouth shut for a while.
Old 08-29-2005, 07:40 AM   #228
rbautch
User

No problem. My own stupidity has occasionally caused a drive pull or a complete Tivo meltdown.

or

Old 08-29-2005, 09:13 AM   #229
marklyn

safe to upgrade TivoWebPlus PTVupgrade - v1.1-pre2 with mods

I have recently purchased the PTVnet CD for my HDVR2 system with the TivoWebPlus PTVupgrade - v1.1-pre2 with mods.

Am I safe in upgrading or is it not worth upgrading to this version?

One more question... if I do upgrade do I need to edit the file that has my local network settings first so that I can 'talk' to my HDVR2 after the files are upgraded and run?
MOCA
CC: Sci Atl PK802
TA: Cisco STA1520
TimeWarner Cable-Austin
marklyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 10:02 AM   #230
regicat

First, a big THANKS to rbautch! For Marklyn: I did the same thing. Right after I used pvtnet (which made USB2/telnet/ftp very easy) rbautch came out with his brilliant script. Here is what you need to do:

1. If you did not install ptvnet, then install it but do not install tivoweb when asked. Make sure to NOT allow ptvnet to change phone setting. In other words, only use it for USB2/telnet/ftp.

If you already installed ptvnet with tivoweb then do these steps:

2. Telnet into tivo and make sure FLAG_SWAP PHONE is ON. You do this by typing "FLAG_SWAP PHONE" and looking at the results. Each time you enter it it will swap ON/OFF. If it's OFF then cron will be started twice from rc_sysinit_author.

3. Make SURE FLAG_SWAP TIVOWEB is OFF. Otherwise, the PRE2 will start BEFORE the new one (which is newer and has more modules).

You can see the flags in /init/ptv_flags.

After that follow the install for tweak.sh, that's it. It worked everytime for me on 2 HDVR2s. BTW, if you upgrade tweak.sh make sure you uninstall before ftping the new files. The uninstall moves the old files from /enhancements to /. I did that after I ftp'd the new tweak files and they were overlaid with the old ones.

If you have more than 1 tivo you can then add the mrv patch which was the reason I did all this in the first place. Before ftping I edited out the 2 extra patches (30 second skip, etc). That was my preference.

Once ptvnet gets your networking working there is nothing to do, these patches do not affect network settings.

Last edited by regicat : 08-29-2005 at 10:10 AM.
regicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 10:03 AM   #231
rbautch
User

Marklyn, I'm having trouble understanding what you're trying to accomplish. Have you already hacked your Tivo to accesss to it over your network, or is that what you're trying to accomplish now? Or are you just trying to add Tivowebplus to an already hacked Tivo?

or

Old 08-29-2005, 10:16 AM   #232
rbautch
User

Now I get it (I think). Thanks regicat. I gather the ptv disk is a pre-hacked image with TWP already installed. If you run my script, I would suggest deleting the old Tivowebplus installation to save on space, and manually editing your rc.sysinit.author file to remove any reference to calling it up. I don't know where PTV puts the TWP installation, but after running my script, you can find it by typing "find tivoweb" at bash. If they put it in var, and var gets too full, your Tivo will wipe the var directory and destroy any hacks you have stored there, including the Tivowebplus installation installed by the script.

or

Old 08-29-2005, 10:18 AM   #233
marklyn

considering upgrading what i have

What I think I'm doing is 'upgrading' what I already have (hacked). I guess I'm assuming that the tivowebplus version I use (v1.1-pre2 with mods) is not as current as your version. I am particularly interested in the season passes backup module that is in your version and that's one of the reasons why I am interested in 'upgrading' what I already have.

I just wanted to be sure that since I already have a hacked 6.2 version on my HDVR2 that I didn't need to de-install what I have in favor of putting your version on.

Forgive me for not using the correct terms. I'm new at this and I'm reading as much as I can but it still escapes me in understanding the differences between tivoweb, tivowebplus and apparantly different flavors of these programs. It sounds to me like your current version of software is very similar to what I have except there appears to be more features there than what I have now.

thanks
Old 08-29-2005, 10:20 AM   #234
regicat

rbautch, thanks so much for you effort and this great script! As you see from my post above:

"if you upgrade tweak.sh make sure you uninstall before ftping the new files. The uninstall moves the old files from /enhancements to /. I did that after I ftp'd the new tweak files and they were overlaid with the old ones."

Just an idea: to make things more idiot-proof, the uninstall script could issue a message if it is about to overlay a file in /. It would have saved some time trying to figure out why nothing happened after the upgrade to 2.2. Yes it it my fault but thought you should know... I installed the pre 2.2 and upgraded to 2.2 and both worked flawlessly for me.

Thanks again!
Old 08-29-2005, 10:24 AM   #235
regicat

Marklyn, the rbautch script has not only more modules but many fixes. I had trouble with the pre2 from ptvnet. As for where ptvnet puts tivoweb, it goes to /pvtupgrade. Yes, I forgot to mention I deleted the tivowebplus and tivowebplus-pre2 directories from there. As for stopping tivowebpre2 from starting, as long as the flags are set as I mentioned above there is no problem.
Old 08-29-2005, 10:33 AM   #236
marklyn

delete ptvupgrade folder

regicat, since you've already done this, hope you can answer a few questions.

1) Sound like I just need to delete the ptvupgrade folder and then follow rbautch's install script?
2) are there any screen shots available (i searched and didn't find any).
3) How long have you had this version running, do you feel it's stable and worth the effort (I'm guessing yes).
4) I have another HDVR2 coming in a few days. I assume if I want to run this script I'd put a new 6.2 image on the drive I'm going to use and then run rbautch's install script.

I guess I'm sligtly apprehensive in removing that folder and running the new install script. Doesn't the functionality to 'connect' (ftp/telnet) to my HDVR2 exist in that folder, so if I delete it, won't I be removing the ability to talk to my HDVR2?

Sorry for the dumb questions. Hope I can repay someone else one day with any knowledge gained here.
Old 08-29-2005, 11:37 AM   #237
rbautch
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by regicat
Just an idea: to make things more idiot-proof, the uninstall script could issue a message if it is about to overlay a file in /.
Great idea. My original intention was to move the rbautch-files archive back to the root directory before /enhancements got deleted by the uninstall script. Since I keep my tweak.sh script in root, this allows me to uninstall and reinstall the script over and over. I see now that perhaps this is not the best arrangement for casual users.

or

Old 08-29-2005, 11:42 AM   #238
rbautch
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by marklyn
1) Sound like I just need to delete the ptvupgrade folder and then follow rbautch's install script?
2) are there any screen shots available (i searched and didn't find any).
3) How long have you had this version running, do you feel it's stable and worth the effort (I'm guessing yes).
4) I have another HDVR2 coming in a few days. I assume if I want to run this script I'd put a new 6.2 image on the drive I'm going to use and then run rbautch's install script.

I guess I'm sligtly apprehensive in removing that folder and running the new install script. Doesn't the functionality to 'connect' (ftp/telnet) to my HDVR2 exist in that folder, so if I delete it, won't I be removing the ability to talk to my HDVR2?

Sorry for the dumb questions. Hope I can repay someone else one day with any knowledge gained here.
I assume the ptvupgrade folder contains other things, so just delete a subfolder in there called "tivowebplus". Also see if you can find the line in your /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit.author file that launches this old version of tivowebplus, and delete it. Then run the tweak script. The tweak script makes no changes to your network setup, so that will stay in tact no matter what script options you choose. The tivowebplus archive installed by the script is very stable.

or

Old 08-29-2005, 12:50 PM   #239
marklyn

delete this?

Should I delete all of these lines listed?
#start tivowebplus or tivowebplus pre 2

if [ -f /init/ptv_flags/TIVOWEB_ON ]; then
mkdir -p /var/hack
if [ -f /init/ptv_flags/TIVOWEB-PRE2_ON ]; then
/ptvupgrade/tivowebplus-pre2/tivoweb
else
/ptvupgrade/tivowebplus/tivoweb
fi
sleep 30
fi

Also, what about the tivowebplus-pre2 folder, should I delete that too?

Thanks
Old 08-29-2005, 12:56 PM   #240
rbautch
User

Yes, delete them all, and the pre2 folder. This code looks like it copies two versions of tivowebplus to your Tivo, and then starts the one you select via flags.

or