Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Underground
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-21-2005, 05:21 PM   #151
rbautch
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmrick
The enhancement script should have put the updated fakecall.tcl file in ? I thought that I had that installed properly. However when I telneted over and ran fakecall.tcl I get error message that fakecall.tcl is not supported in 6.2. I could just copy over the new fakecall.tcl and run it once, but if I don't have the enhancement script running right it will not run every sunday night. Running fakecall.tcl once would work unless I lost power then I would need to rerun it or my tivo's or my tivo's would call the mother ship ?

Wait the enhancement script must be right, as I have the new splash screen and cert's are removed. So what setup is not right as I have the old fakecall.tcl?

Thanks
Rick
The enhancement script does not install an updated fakecall.tcl file (for good reason), so you have to take care of that yourself. Copy over the new fakecall file, and everything should be good. Just to be sure, type "ps" at the bash prompt, and verify that /busybox/crond is one of the processes that are running. It should be near the end of the list. If it's not, then reboot, and it should be running. Check your system information screen tomorrow morning to see if the "last successful" call date was reset.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

rbautch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 07:34 PM   #152
tsunami

Wow, I was in a panic cause I couldn't get my TiVO to call out for that first call for DVR service. Everything else was running ready to go, and then, I was directed to this script.
Kuddos, you should be very proud of a top notch product. You got a PayPal donation site setup yet?
Love everything about it.
Thanks so much.
tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 09:17 PM   #153
mgmrick
Haven't broke yet

Ok thanks Rbautch
mgmrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 08:15 AM   #154
tsunami

Quick question on the TivoWebPlus that installs with this script.
Has anybody gotten to where they can get to it from outside of their network? Say at work.
I have spoken with Belkin (my router) tech support with no success. As a matter of fact, I cannot even get to my router's homepage from outside of my network. I use the IP address the modem is currently on but that doesn't work.
Old 08-22-2005, 09:13 AM   #155
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

you have to open up port 80 on your router, and hope your ISP isn't blocking it.
If your ISP DOES block port 80 you can tell TWP to use a different port and open THAT one up in your router.
Old 08-22-2005, 10:42 AM   #156
rbautch
User

I prefer a more secure way to handle this, but you need to leave a PC running at home. I use Windows XP's remote access feature to access my home PC, and then use TWP from there. You need XP Professional to do this. If you don't have XP Pro, you can also use a free 3rd party secure remote access tool. I've tried several of these, and have found the best of the bunch to be logmein. Now, get back to work!

or

Old 08-22-2005, 11:39 AM   #157
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

oh I completely forgot about using something like Tight VNC to accomplish this
good call.
Old 08-22-2005, 11:44 AM   #158
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
I have the Orenosp SSL/HTTP proxy server installed on the junker PC I got for these sorts of lil projects.

The proxy was fairly easy to set up, and provides extra security for TiVoWeb while still allowing me to access it via a standard web browser:

http://www.tivohelp.com/archive/tivo...ki.net/83.html
Fofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 01:15 PM   #159
Tumminator

Ok, what exactly is the deal with the fakecall.tcl file... I used Gunnys guide to *alter* my 6.2 Tivo, when I run the script it states that it is not supported in 6.2.... Do I need to replace/modify this file? I am running ncid for caller ID, so I have had a phone line plugged in for about a week and a half now. Please post or PM me with the instructions to correct this if it needs to be done. Thanks.
Old 08-22-2005, 01:37 PM   #160
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

the new fakecall (or mods to the old one) can be found at DDB
Old 08-22-2005, 01:45 PM   #161
rbautch
User

Fakecall for 6.2

It's now possible for me to post fakecall here. This one has been modified for 6.2 (courtesy of Alphawolf). Just replace the current one that's in /busybox. The next version of the script will install this automagically.
Attached Files
File Type: zip fakecall.zip (868 Bytes, 82 views)

or

Last edited by rbautch : 08-22-2005 at 01:51 PM.
Old 08-22-2005, 01:53 PM   #162
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

and the script just gets better and better
Old 08-22-2005, 02:13 PM   #163
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER

Thanks, rbautch! Your script played a part in making my recent hacking experiences a total joy.

Oh yeah, Gunnyman too.
Old 08-22-2005, 03:09 PM   #164
tsunami

Changing restart dates

How would one go in and change the default weekly restarts in the script. Mine powered off last night at midnight and missed a couple of shows. Sunday going into Monday.
Would that have been from the script or something else?
I would like for it to restart at 2 or 3 AM.
Mike
Old 08-22-2005, 03:26 PM   #165
BTUx9
back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunami
How would one go in and change the default weekly restarts in the script. Mine powered off last night at midnight and missed a couple of shows. Sunday going into Monday.
Would that have been from the script or something else?
I would like for it to restart at 2 or 3 AM.
Mike
the file is /var/spool/cron/crontabs/root
if you edit it, most of the lines have "9" as the 2nd number... changing that to 10 would make the command run an hour later... you get the idea.
BTUx9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 05:52 PM   #166
tsunami

Thanks BTU, by the way, love your town.
What is that 9 based on? Nine from GMT?
Mike
Old 08-22-2005, 06:49 PM   #167
rbautch
User

Yes GMT. So 9 = 3am central standard time (here in Chicago). During daylight savings, it will reboot at 4am Central, or 5am Eastern. Check out the log located in /car/spool/cron/cronlogs/CRONLOG-MAIN, and make sure the times are accurate. I assume New England is your actual location, right?

or

Old 08-22-2005, 08:41 PM   #168
tsunami

Here is my confusion, at 2330 Eastern last night, my recording history shows that a show didn't record because "power was off". So I assumed it was that reboot.
But figuring out the time 9 here on the East coast would be 0130. So what do you think was going on there?
Could the clock have been off on the TiVO since it had only been up a few hours or something else?
I changed all the nines in the root (log below) via metapad to 11's and then ftp'd it back over. That OK? Then I guess tomorrow morning I will see the results.

Mon Aug 22 09:14:03 UTC 2005 TWP stopped
Mon Aug 22 09:15:02 UTC 2005 TWP started
Mon Aug 22 09:18:02 UTC 2005 logs wiped
Mon Aug 22 09:20:02 UTC 2005 fakecall made
Mon Aug 22 09:22:03 UTC 2005 cron.test.out deleted
Mon Aug 22 09:22:03 UTC 2005 cronlog deleted
Old 08-22-2005, 08:52 PM   #169
BTUx9
back?

Actually, EDT is UTC-4, so the 9 SHOULD be 5 am on the east coast during DST (as rbautch said above).

Check your tverr log for anything suspicious (random reboots are a possibility with 6.2 on some hardware).

BTW, the 9 in my nick is not significant :P
What part of NE are you in?
Old 08-22-2005, 08:59 PM   #170
tsunami

New Boston, NH 15 miles due west of Manchester.
See anything that looks fishy (little Gloucester humor).

Aug 22 09:27:31 (none) ShmemdLoader[119]: Loading Resource pvr/lib/resources/PvrConstantsDocument.brf from FsId 21347
Aug 22 11:38:04 (none) TmkMediaswitch::Trace[234]: BOGUS EVENT LENGTH: 1823696 SID:0xe0
Aug 22 21:50:04 (none) ShmemdLoader[119]: Loading Resource pvr/lib/resources/PvrConstantsDocument.brf from FsId 21347
Old 08-22-2005, 09:27 PM   #171
BTUx9
back?

None of those log events look like something to cause a reboot/hang.
It wouldn't be a clock issue, because dtivos pull the time from the satellite, IIRC.

It really is suspicious, because even if a reboot happened during that time, tivo usually just has a gap in the recording... for it not to have recorded at all (and say power was off) is more likely a hang... You may want to check the other logs (and check before the time) to see.
Old 08-23-2005, 11:15 AM   #172
dcstager
1st Gen Tivo Owner

My Tivo does not have the dos2unix program: "command not found" when I try to run it. Is there a separate source for this program?
dcstager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 11:17 AM   #173
tsunami

Hey guys, if I want to run fakecall.tcl on my TiVO manually I must use the command
tivosh fakecall.tcl
is that addressed via the script or do I need to edit my rc.sysinit.author?
Old 08-23-2005, 02:06 PM   #174
kramerboy
Jelly Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstager
My Tivo does not have the dos2unix program: "command not found" when I try to run it. Is there a separate source for this program?
dos2unix is part of the tivotools package. If you have a busybox folder, it is probably located in there.
kramerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 02:07 PM   #175
kramerboy
Jelly Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunami
Hey guys, if I want to run fakecall.tcl on my TiVO manually I must use the command
tivosh fakecall.tcl
is that addressed via the script or do I need to edit my rc.sysinit.author?
edit your author file. that way it will automatically run when your TiVo reboots.
kramerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 02:30 PM   #176
rbautch
User

Fakecall will also run every night as part of the cron installation (if you chose to install cron). Since I don't have to use the "tivosh" command to run fakecall, I didn't include that in the crontab line that runs fakecall. I have since fixed this, and will include it in the next version of the script. To fix it yourself, edit line 30 of the following file to add "tivosh" before fakecall.tcl:

/var/spool/cron/crontabs/root

Editing the author file will also work, but fakecall won't be run until late in the reboot process when the author file is called. Ideally you want it to run before the reboot. I'm not sure where it comes up in the boot cycle, so it may be fine, but you might want to edit your crontab (root) just to be sure.

The next script version coming later this week will have a few more useful goodies, so you may prefer to abondon the current installation and wait for the new one.

or

Last edited by rbautch : 08-23-2005 at 02:37 PM.
Old 08-23-2005, 02:43 PM   #177
tsunami

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbautch
Fakecall will also run every night as part of the cron installation (if you chose to install cron). Since I don't have to use the "tivosh" command to run fakecall, I didn't include that in the crontab line that runs fakecall. I have since fixed this, and will include it in the next version of the script. To fix it yourself, edit line 30 of the following file to add "tivosh" before fakecall.tcl:

/var/spool/cron/crontabs/root

Editing the author file will also work, but fakecall won't be run until late in the reboot process when the author file is called. Ideally you want it to run before the reboot. I'm not sure where it comes up in the boot cycle, so it may be fine, but you might want to edit your crontab (root) just to be sure.

The next script version coming later this week will have a few more useful goodies, so you may prefer to abondon the current installation and wait for the new one.
Do you mean line 20? That is the one with fakecall referenced. My last line is 25.
Also, when you put that updated script out is it necessary to run the uninstall included with this one?
Old 08-23-2005, 04:43 PM   #178
rbautch
User

I guess it depends on what version you have, but it's the line that starts like this:
Code:
20 9 * * * fakecall.tcl
You will need to run the uninstall script before installing the new version. I was going to make a patch script, but there's so many changes, it was getting too complicated for me to test properly. The uninstall script hasn't changed much since the first version, so running whichever one you have is fine.

or

Old 08-23-2005, 05:09 PM   #179
tsunami

Can't wait, you da man.
Old 08-24-2005, 02:28 AM   #180
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbautch
David and I started with the TWP version in my script, we stripped out all the add-on modules, made a few tweaks for 7.1, and that became version 1.2. We are now going to add back in a few of the most useful modules (Hackman, Backup, and Channelprefs), which will be released as version 1.2.1 soon. The TWP version in my script will always be the most current release, but with a few of my favorite extra modules added.

May I also suggest Reorder Season Passes as a great add-on module?

It's much easier and more elegant than TWP's built-in mechanism for reprioritizing SP's. It would be great if this were included, or better yet, used in place of the built in command.