TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Underground
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-27-2006, 04:13 PM   #1591
jmasterman

I am new to this but have been reading for a while. I have not found a match to this question so I hope it OK to ask.
I just put a 6.2 instant cake image with ptvnet in my Dtivo.
I have TWP and tserver working. Can I use the enhancement script on this unit? Do I need to remove anything first?
jmasterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 05:37 PM   #1592
rbautch
User

Yes you can. After the enhancement script runs, delete the /ptvugrade/tivowebplus directory, and replace it with the /tivowebplus directory that the script installs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

rbautch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 04:21 AM   #1593
oiler_head

So I thought I'd try to zipper a DTV on a lark. I got the imaged laid and the files copied and the drive back in the DTV. It rebooted without issue. But now I am stuck here:

bash-2.02# tweak.sh
Existing rbautch_files.tgz archive found in /hacks/
Skipping new script download...

Running rbautch Hacked Tivo Enhancements...
tar: inflate error 2
tar: Unable to read all data
tar: Unable to read all data
mv: /enhancements/tweak_uninstall.sh: No such file or directory
Checking your telnet settings. Do you want to continue? [y/n]: y

Do you want to run the "express" version (for advanced users)? [y/n]: n
./ /tweak.sh: /enhancements/start.sh: No such file or directory

I can run the uninstall but it only gets rid of files in the /enhancements dir but not the dir.

When I try to re-run tweak.sh I end up in the same place.

Please help....

Thanks
oiler_head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 09:57 AM   #1594
rbautch
User

Delete the rbautch_files.tgz file, then run tweak.sh again. It will then download a fresh copy of rbautch_files.tgz.

or

Old 05-28-2006, 10:51 AM   #1595
oiler_head

Thanks rbautch for the repsonse...

I don't have the DTV connected to the internet so I DL'd the latest .tgz from mastersav.com and I'll FTP it over.

Do I need to concern myself with the /enhancements dir that won't delete?
Old 05-28-2006, 11:05 AM   #1596
rbautch
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by oiler_head
Thanks rbautch for the repsonse...

I don't have the DTV connected to the internet so I DL'd the latest .tgz from mastersav.com and I'll FTP it over.

Do I need to concern myself with the /enhancements dir that won't delete?
Try deleting it with rm -rf /enhancements.

or

Old 05-29-2006, 01:06 AM   #1597
oiler_head

Rbauth thanks for the help but I'm still stuck.

I've removed the /enhancements directory. I DL'd the latest rbautch_files.tgz and FTP'd it to the /hacks directory using ASCII mode. Still no luck...

The problem appears to be around the tar command. I cannot run tar -zxvf let alone tar -t. I re-read the exchanges you had with "eclipsme" but I haven't had the same success as him although I do have the tweak_uninstall.sh script.

When I researched the error I discovered that there was a bug with busybox and tar (http://bugs.uclibc.org/view.php?id=231) but its since been fixed. I have BusyBox 1.00 installed (presumably from the tivotools.tar). Do I need to rezipper this drive with a newer version of the tivotools.tar?
Old 05-29-2006, 01:21 AM   #1598
SteelersFan
"On Welfare"

Quote:
Originally Posted by oiler_head
Rbauth thanks for the help but I'm still stuck.

I've removed the /enhancements directory. I DL'd the latest rbautch_files.tgz and FTP'd it to the /hacks directory using ASCII mode. Still no luck...
I believe you should be transferring in binary mode. Search this thread and the Zipper thread for a quick confirmation.
HR21-700, HR21-100
SteelersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 02:16 AM   #1599
oiler_head

Thanks SteelersFan

That was it! Ran the script without problems. Now I got to see what the heck I just did!

Thanks rbautch for creating and supporting a sound script...
Old 05-29-2006, 08:42 AM   #1600
jmasterman

FWIW
I tried the script and had some trouble with TWP. I answered that it WAS installed and I guess the script didn't install the new version.

Any way, I went in and removed all of the TWP files and directory under ptvnet, ran the tweak uninstall, and started over.

I answered NO to the Do you have TWP? prompt and all is well. I need to dig in to all of the new features now.

Thanks!
jmasterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 11:25 AM   #1601
rbautch
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmasterman
FWIW
I tried the script and had some trouble with TWP. I answered that it WAS installed and I guess the script didn't install the new version.

Any way, I went in and removed all of the TWP files and directory under ptvnet, ran the tweak uninstall, and started over.

I answered NO to the Do you have TWP? prompt and all is well. I need to dig in to all of the new features now.

Thanks!
This is expected behavior. Glad you got it working.

or

Old 05-29-2006, 06:03 PM   #1602
coachO

I installed the zipper with tivowebplus. Then I had to reinstall windows xp. Now I can not access my Hr10-250 using tivowebplus. The zipper was so easy that I really didnt even read all the details - now I need help. I remember setting my IP at 192.168.1.7. Sorry for what I hope is silly question and thanks in advance for the help.
Silver Sensor
HR20-700
coachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 08:14 PM   #1603
rbautch
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachO
I installed the zipper with tivowebplus. Then I had to reinstall windows xp. Now I can not access my Hr10-250 using tivowebplus. The zipper was so easy that I really didnt even read all the details - now I need help. I remember setting my IP at 192.168.1.7. Sorry for what I hope is silly question and thanks in advance for the help.
Turn of the Windows firewall. If no luck, see if you can ping your tivo.

or

Old 05-30-2006, 06:00 PM   #1604
coachO

Thanks, rbautch. After I tried to ping it I figured out what I was doing wrong. All is well.
Silver Sensor
HR20-700
coachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 10:19 PM   #1605
stivovance

Why is there the Search By Title (demo) on the pick programs to record screen or rather, what does/should it do? and can it be removed or atleast moved in the listing of that menu?

Last edited by stivovance : 06-01-2006 at 10:29 PM.
stivovance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 03:14 PM   #1606
niggszo

tivo without a subscription

hi guys,
I have a TIVO series 1 unit Phillips HDR 112 with the Tivo OS 3.0. I live in canada and dont have a subscription, i have used up the 6 grace days ,I just need to use this as a PVR and manually record, any hacks etc for this dont need any bells and whitles just a normal PVR.
please help !!!

thansk
niggszo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 01:30 AM   #1607
Carlton Bale

Quote:
Originally Posted by niggszo
hi guys,
I have a TIVO series 1 unit Phillips HDR 112 with the Tivo OS 3.0. I live in canada and dont have a subscription, i have used up the 6 grace days ,I just need to use this as a PVR and manually record, any hacks etc for this dont need any bells and whitles just a normal PVR.
please help !!!

thansk
Here are some suggestions:
1) buy a TiVo subscription.
2) read the forum guidelines.
3) use the forum search.
4) use spell check.

Sorry to be blunt, but I don't think you're going to find what you're looking for here.

: devoted to documentation of everything TiVo
Carlton Bale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 06:50 AM   #1608
Nandy

I must b very naive but I am missing something here. Guy had Tivo, looks like want to use the unit as stand alone and want to hack it? Where did he turn wrong?
Nandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 08:37 AM   #1609
stivovance

Well, for starters, he's in the wrong thread for his unit. 2nd, he wants to use it without a subscription or paying for anything. Now, granted, he would have been able to do this several years ago with the older software, but no longer.
stivovance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 09:07 AM   #1610
PortlandPaw
Woodstock-era Hacker

There is help for Canadians. You can't tell the poor guy to buy what doesn't exist. Look for the threads or I think there's a specific website. What they have to do to get what Americans have readily available would be considered verboten here, but you gotta do what you gotta do when it comes to getting a TiVo running in Canada. Good luck!

Chebeague Island, Maine
There are 10 kinds of people, those who count in binary and those who don't.
PortlandPaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 11:28 AM   #1611
Nandy

You have to have a subscription? Never mind, I dont want to cluter this post.
Nandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 12:20 PM   #1612
pdawg17
Here's Julia!!

If I want to add one thing (like Caller ID) but I've already installed the script, how can i do that? When I try to start the script, it tells me I have to uninstall first...
Old 06-19-2006, 12:37 PM   #1613
bigrig
∞ ↔ ∞ ↔ ∞ ↔ ∞ ↔ ∞

You gotta uninstall, and then re-install everything.

I wish there was an option for just running parts of the script...because when you uninstall, it reverts to the backup files, right? If I've made any changes to the rc.sysinit.author manually after the initial installation, they will be lost in the uninstall.

Matt
Old 06-19-2006, 01:20 PM   #1614
rbautch
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrig
You gotta uninstall, and then re-install everything.

I wish there was an option for just running parts of the script...because when you uninstall, it reverts to the backup files, right? If I've made any changes to the rc.sysinit.author manually after the initial installation, they will be lost in the uninstall.

Matt
That's correct.

or

Old 06-20-2006, 10:28 AM   #1615
dw17

I have not found my issue here...

I have:
Hughes DVR2
new 160GB Maxtor drive
Instant Cake Image
$5 Boot CD for the Kernal
Zippered the image.

All seems well, except CRON

The Fakecall is not running...or at least it is not now.

I have run "PS" to see if cron is running...don't see it in the list.

I have tried to run CROND, but get error not finding "crontabs"

I can run fake call manually, and have. I would like to get Caller ID working, so automating Fake call is something I would like to fix.

It also seems that Hackman's "start cron" button does not do anything for me...

The log shows nothing since June 11

I looked thru the troubleshooting, and did not find anything helpful yet....

Thanks! The process using the Zipper and RBautch's script were great.

dw17

Last edited by dw17 : 06-20-2006 at 01:01 PM.
dw17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 10:09 PM   #1616
rbautch
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dw17
I have not found my issue here...

I have:
Hughes DVR2
new 160GB Maxtor drive
Instant Cake Image
$5 Boot CD for the Kernal
Zippered the image.

All seems well, except CRON

The Fakecall is not running...or at least it is not now.

I have run "PS" to see if cron is running...don't see it in the list.

I have tried to run CROND, but get error not finding "crontabs"

I can run fake call manually, and have. I would like to get Caller ID working, so automating Fake call is something I would like to fix.

It also seems that Hackman's "start cron" button does not do anything for me...

The log shows nothing since June 11

I looked thru the troubleshooting, and did not find anything helpful yet....

Thanks! The process using the Zipper and RBautch's script were great.

dw17
Sounds like your crontab is missing or damaged. Type "root" at bash to see if it comes up in the vi editor. Or else look for it with "ffind root". I think it's in /enhancements/varhacks/spool/cron/crontabs or something like that. You could also try re-running the symlink script in /enhancements, which makes sure there is a symlink in /var to the actual crontab that's stored in /enhancements/varhacks. There's also a series a cron troubleshooting posts near the beginning of this thread.

or

Old 06-21-2006, 08:19 AM   #1617
dw17

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbautch
Sounds like your crontab is missing or damaged. Type "root" at bash to see if it comes up in the vi editor. Or else look for it with "ffind root". I think it's in /enhancements/varhacks/spool/cron/crontabs or something like that. You could also try re-running the symlink script in /enhancements, which makes sure there is a symlink in /var to the actual crontab that's stored in /enhancements/varhacks. There's also a series a cron troubleshooting posts near the beginning of this thread.

I ran the symlink script and then crond, no error message.

And then the "test" at the beginning of the cron commands was working...I will see if the fakecall works later in the week.

Thanks for your help.

dw17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 03:34 PM   #1618
eclipsme

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipsme
One note... well, maybe 2 or 3...

If you let the script change the bash prompt, tytools will also need to be told what the new prompt is or tserver will not work. Actually, it is tserver where the problem is, but you change the the expected prompt in tytools.

Also, I had a minor problem with the caller id. My tv overscans a bit too much for my taste, but there seems to be no permanant way to change that, even through service codes. Caller id by default comes up at the very top of the screen, which was mostly cut off on my set. This behavior is changable in the out2osd.conf file found in /enhancements/varhacks/hack/etc. This does not seem to be the default location for this file, but is where I found it after using this script.

All in all, very happy and very greatful to rbautch for the script and to those who helped me out.

BTW - my network speed has increased 4 fold thanks to the usb2 driver! Yay!

Harvey
So all has been well since this post in May. Then my var directory got wiped and nothing was working anymore - no ftp, no telnet. Thankfully, tivoweb plus was up and running (not sure why) and I was able to use hackman to startup the rest. Also, after reading this thread, I had actually backed up the var directory just prior to all this happening, so proceeded to copying it back. Hooray for backups!

My understanding was that the enhancement script copies these files to enhancements/varhack (?) and recreates the symlinks if the var folder gets erased. This does not seem to have happened for me, and I don't know why. Any ideas?

I am still missing a couple of odd things. First, the caller id isn't working. Actually, this is how I first noticed something was wrong. In fact, from a hurried reading of logs, I think the Tivo tried to call home, but` had an initialization error, or is this a normal side effect of fakecall?

Back to caller id. Do I need to uninstall the script and reinstall? I was hoping to find the files that start cid and manually add them to the starup script, but I cannot seem to find them. Is this possible? If so, where should they be?

Which brings me to my final problem... Since all this happened, I have lost the ls command on the Tivo! This makes it very inconvenient to troubleshoot. I kind of go back and forth between telnet and ftp. What's up with that?

Any and all sugestions appreciated. I sure had it good for a while there! Oh, BTW - my network speed increased 3x, not 4. Sorry for the typo.

Harvey
eclipsme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 04:13 PM   #1619
rbautch
User

Normally, all the hacks that expect to be installed in /var, are instead installed in /enhancements/varhacks, where they will be safe from random var wipes. I put symlinks (like shortcuts) in /var that point to /enhancements/varhacks so that those hacks function normally. Tivowebplus of course is not affected, because the script installs it in root, not var. When /var gets wiped, the only reason things don't work is because the symlinks are gone. Restoring them is as easy as running the script that created them in the first place, called var-symlinks.sh. This script should run automatically after a var wipe and a reboot, using the following lines that should be in your author file:
Code:
#############################################" 
# Check if var got wiped, and if so, rebuild symlinks from /enhancements/varhacks 
if [ ! -e /var/vardelete_flag ]; then
sh /enhancements/var-symlinks.sh
fi
. If these lines aren't there, then you need to rerun the enhancement script. These lines check for a flag in /var called vardelete_flag, and if it's not there (like when var gets wiped), it runs /enhancements/var-symlinks.sh. There is absolutely no need to back up var as long as you have this script handy.

If ls is not working, check your PATH.

or

Old 06-24-2006, 05:38 PM   #1620
eclipsme

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbautch
Normally, all the hacks that expect to be installed in /var, are instead installed in /enhancements/varhacks, where they will be safe from random var wipes. I put symlinks (like shortcuts) in /var that point to /enhancements/varhacks so that those hacks function normally. Tivowebplus of course is not affected, because the script installs it in root, not var. When /var gets wiped, the only reason things don't work is because the symlinks are gone. Restoring them is as easy as running the script that created them in the first place, called var-symlinks.sh. This script should run automatically after a var wipe and a reboot, using the following lines that should be in your author file:
Code:
#############################################" 
# Check if var got wiped, and if so, rebuild symlinks from /enhancements/varhacks 
if [ ! -e /var/vardelete_flag ]; then
sh /enhancements/var-symlinks.sh
fi
. If these lines aren't there, then you need to rerun the enhancement script. These lines check for a flag in /var called vardelete_flag, and if it's not there (like when var gets wiped), it runs /enhancements/var-symlinks.sh. There is absolutely no need to back up var as long as you have this script handy.

If ls is not working, check your PATH.
Does this also apply with hacks that were installed before your script? I have a hunch not, and that the hacks I lost were installed previously, such as ftp and telnet.

Then again, certainly the CID app wasn installed by your script, and it isn't working.

Is it possible (likely?) that hackman reconfigured the startup file and overwrote the above? Which startup file do you work with, or is there only the one?

do I need to uninstall first?

any idea what happened to the ls command?

Thanks,
Harvey
eclipsme is offline   Reply With Quote