Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Underground
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-31-2005, 10:59 PM   #1111
Tracy RainH2o
Photo Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by TubaMan-Z
Where in the scripts does it permanently enable 30 second skip? We got rather used to ff'ing through commercials and using the tick-to-end.

Thanks.
You can enable and disable the 30 sec. skip feature through Tivo Web Plus. I haven't tried it, but it is an option under the HackMan Backdoor Codes heading.
Old 01-01-2006, 06:13 PM   #1112
ttodd1
Proud Computer Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracy RainH2o
You can enable and disable the 30 sec. skip feature through Tivo Web Plus. I haven't tried it, but it is an option under the HackMan Backdoor Codes heading.
Doesn't work as far as I can tell (at least not on mine), I always have to do the remote keys to turn it off.
Old 01-01-2006, 07:45 PM   #1113
rbautch
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc_a_power
Hey guys,

I'm getting terrible inter-Tivo throughput.

T1: NetGear FA120 connected to WRT54G via Wire.
T2: NetGear FA120 connected to WET54G bridge via Wire. WET54G connected via WPA to WRE54G, which is connected wirelessly to WRT54G.

My network throughput via 'speed' oscillates between 0.05 and 1.8 Mbps. And the MRV transfers are VERY slow.

/var/log/kernel seems to reflect USB 2.0 drivers are loaded.

The slower machine to ftp from seems to be T2, but that's even testing from my laptop, which is also connected via the WRE54G...

Any thoughts? This is crazily frustrating.

Thanks,

Marc
Those are bad numbers. Sometimes rebooting everything on your network can clear up a problem. Also try pinging one tivo from the other, and look at the packet loss numbers. Are you using homemade cables/connectors?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

rbautch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 11:12 PM   #1114
Diana Collins

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc_a_power
Hey guys,

I'm getting terrible inter-Tivo throughput.

T1: NetGear FA120 connected to WRT54G via Wire.
T2: NetGear FA120 connected to WET54G bridge via Wire. WET54G connected via WPA to WRE54G, which is connected wirelessly to WRT54G....
You need to simplify the setup to debug it. Try eliminating the WRE54G - even if you need to move the TiVo temporarily. What kind of performance does the Laptop attached to the WRE54G get when accessing the internet?

Wireless repeaters can be tricky to set up. If all works well without it, then we'll know where to concentrate.

Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006
Diana Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 09:05 AM   #1115
pOiNTBLaNK127

Hey Guys,

I'm new to the scene.

I get the following when trying to run the script:

Downloading latest Enhancement script...
tweak.sh: wget: command not found
Download failed. Adjust DNS and try again? [y/n]: n
Make sure your Tivo is connected to the internet, and
your network settings are correct. Exiting...
rm: /enhancements: No such file or directory

I downloaded the toolset for HR10-250 Tivos as the instructions sugguested but still no cookie.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.
pOiNTBLaNK127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 09:40 AM   #1116
dieselpower
Pna lbh penpx zr?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pOiNTBLaNK127
Hey Guys,

I'm new to the scene.

I downloaded the toolset for HR10-250 Tivos as the instructions sugguested but still no cookie.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.
Did you ensure that your scripts have had the carriage returns stripped? There are many references in this thread to people having similar problems, which were remedied by running the dos2unix script or you can alternatively strip them out using sed or directly in vi, which is what I'd probably do.
Old 01-02-2006, 12:54 PM   #1117
rbautch
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by pOiNTBLaNK127
Hey Guys,

I'm new to the scene.

Any ideas?
Thanks in advance.
The fact that it's not recognizing the wget command means you probably did not add the /busybox directory to your PATH statement in your author file. Do that, reboot, and try again.

or

Old 01-03-2006, 09:17 PM   #1118
landie

I'm stuck here:

bash-2.02#
bash-2.02#sh tweak.sh
wget: www.mastersav.com: Host name lookup failure
Download failed. Adjust DNS and try again? [y/n]: y

bash-2.02#y

This is an already hacked tivo with the following directories:

62_init_framework_ddn
archive
bin
busybox
cdrom > tivowebplus, tytools
dev
dist
etc
etccombo
initrd
install
lib
lost+found
mnt
opt
proc
sbin
tvbin
tvlib
var
tmp

tweak.sh

Is my problem still my network set up?

As discussed here:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...&page=77&pp=30

Originally Posted by landie
Wireless router > a PC with wireless network adapter and ethernet adapter > wired 10/100 Hub > Tivo
Correct, if you mean that the Tivo is wired directly to the hub.
[i]
Looks like you need to move your hub in between the Airport and the PC/Tivo. In other words, connect your hub to your Airport and then plug your PC and Tivo into your hub.

Thanks in advance.
landie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 09:30 PM   #1119
rbautch
User

Edit the /etc/resolv.conf file to include your DNS.

or

Old 01-03-2006, 09:33 PM   #1120
landie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbautch
Edit the /etc/resolv.conf file to include your DNS.
/etc/resolv.conf/ has no file
Old 01-03-2006, 09:52 PM   #1121
rbautch
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by landie
/etc/resolv.conf/ has no file
If the file is not there, then create a file of the same name. It should contain one line that reads: nameserver xx.xx.xx.xx where the xx's are your DNS.

or

Old 01-03-2006, 10:06 PM   #1122
pOiNTBLaNK127

Thumbs up Omg It Works!!

Thanks Gunnyman and rbautch!!

After my HR10-250 recieved an update last night and wiped out my hacks I decided to use Gunnyman's "The Zipper" and rbauth's Enhancement Script. Everything is perfect and installation was a breeze. I have very minimal UNIX experience and these guys made it sooooo easy for people like myself to upgrade our Tivo's.

Thanks for all your hard work guys.

I only have one problem after using both "The Zipper" and the Enhancement Script. When I'm using TivoWebPlus and try to go to the Screen menu I get the following error:

INTERNAL SERVER ERROR
--cut here--
action_screen '/' ''
invalid command name "SendKeyAndWait"
while executing
"SendKeyAndWait dumpState"
(procedure "::action_screen" line 14)
invoked from within
"::action_$action $chan $part $env"
("eval" body line 1)
invoked from within
"eval {::action_$action $chan $part $env}"
--cut here--

Any ideas?

Thanks.
pOiNTBLaNK127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 10:16 PM   #1123
landie

Quote:
If the file is not there, then create a file of the same name. It should contain one line that reads: nameserver xx.xx.xx.xx where the xx's are your DNS.
I'm obviously in deeper than I should be : (
I've never used an editor for bash to make a file.
Can I edit the same type of .conf file (which?) and ftp back?

If I enter the wrong nameserver in the file in error, do I lose access to my tivo to change it?

Thanks for your quick reply!

Last edited by landie : 01-03-2006 at 11:17 PM.
landie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 10:19 PM   #1124
rbautch
User

You can't hurt anything by doing this. Navigate to /etc and type vi resolv.conf to create the file and start editing. Hit i for insert mode and start typing - google vi for full command list and to save the file.

or

Old 01-04-2006, 02:17 PM   #1125
landie

Quote:
You can't hurt anything by doing this. Navigate to /etc and type vi resolv.conf to create the file and start editing. Hit i for insert mode and start typing - google vi for full command list and to save the file.
This is what I did:

cd /etc <return>
vi resolv.conf <return>
i <return>
nameserver 65.167.41.2 <return>
ESC <return>
:wq <return>
bash-2.02#

This is what I save with my actual IP in place of xx's found on the airport properties also tried DNS servers listed there too without success.
nameserver xx.xxx.xx.x
~
~
~
~
~
bash-2.02#

this is what I get sh tweak.sh:

bash-2.02#cd
bash-2.02#
bash-2.02#sh tweak.sh
wget: www.mastersav.com: Host name lookup failure
Download failed. Adjust DNS and try again? [y/n]:

Is there something to enter to troubleshoot or even list what my IP settings are? Firewall off. Checked resolv.conf file via ftp size is 20, viewing with WS_ftp shows search localdomain and not what I edit.

Supposedly my hub should be between my computer and the airport and not after the computer with the tivo connecting to the hub as it currently is set up.

I'd have changed it to check but it requires moving furniture that is heavier than I can move right now. I'd rather do that as a last resort.

I don't want a fish, I'm really (really) trying to learn how to fish ; )

Thanks
Old 01-04-2006, 09:43 PM   #1126
AJRitz
Princess Anti-Santa

I'm having the identical problem that landie details above.

The one thing I can add is that the TiVo I'm trying to enhance was previously zippered. It was working fine, until /var got wiped and I lost tivoweb. Before the wipe, I was able to browse Tivoweb over the Internet, so I know it had Internet connectivity. I was excited to update, because one of the updates was to move tivoweb out of /var.
Old 01-04-2006, 11:38 PM   #1127
rbautch
User

Actually tivoweb is the only hack I still left in var. The reason is to spread the hacks out between var and root, and because the tivowebplus folder can be easily ftp'd back over if it gets wiped. I suggest keeping a copy of the tivowebplus folder handy (it can be extracted from the rbautch_files.tgz archive) for just such an occasion. That said, if you really want the update, see my post here to get your DNS working. Learning how to create and edit files on your tivo is a basic skill that will serve you well in the future. If you really get stuck you can extract the rbautch_files.tgz archive from the Zipper tools disk and copy it to the same directory as tweak.sh. It will recognize that the file is there and will use it instead of downloading a fresh one.

or

Old 01-05-2006, 01:00 PM   #1128
AJRitz
Princess Anti-Santa

Thanks for the pointer rbautch. I'll take a shot at that when I get home. I prefer to work from my linux laptop - that way I can edit text files in gedit and then ftp them back over to the TiVo without windows line ending issues and without having to deal with vi (I can never get comfortable with the command combos).
Old 01-05-2006, 05:03 PM   #1129
tsunami

Lost connectivity all of a sudden

Two DTivos both zippered. All of a sudden one has lost networking. I have rebooted the gaming adapter, rebooted the receiver. I am going to try and swap out the network gear with the functioning Tivo and reset the wireless router, but, if that doesn't work what is my best bet for getting back up without losing shows.
Can I put it back in my PC and run tweak unistall then rezipper?
tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 05:11 PM   #1130
rbautch
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunami
Two DTivos both zippered. All of a sudden one has lost networking. I have rebooted the gaming adapter, rebooted the receiver. I am going to try and swap out the network gear with the functioning Tivo and reset the wireless router, but, if that doesn't work what is my best bet for getting back up without losing shows.
Can I put it back in my PC and run tweak unistall then rezipper?
Don't rezipper yet. First run the uninstall script while the tivo is in the pc, then check the author file for the proper IP parameters. Try a different IP and then boot the drive and see if you can connect. If still no luck, then rezipper making sure to answer no to the image install.

or

Old 01-05-2006, 05:55 PM   #1131
tsunami

Quote:
Don't rezipper yet. First run the uninstall script while the tivo is in the pc, then check the author file for the proper IP parameters. Try a different IP and then boot the drive and see if you can connect. If still no luck, then rezipper making sure to answer no to the image install.
When I mounted it in the PC it showed the /enhancements directory but would'nt let me go to it. Only a few directories would /var /etc. The others said not a directory.
Old 01-05-2006, 08:18 PM   #1132
Heckler

Cron and Automatic SP Backups not installing setting-up?

I've just run the Zipper on my DSR7000 and the cron portion of tweak.sh isn't working:

Do you want to install cron for improved performance/logging/backups? [y/n] :y
Existing crond binary detected, replacing...
Existing cron installation detected in /var/spool/cron, skipping cron install...

Do you want to automatically make weekly backups of your season passes?
[y/n]: y
Cron installation is needed for this feature and was not found. Skipping automa
tic seasonpass backups...

Do you want to make a backup of your season passes and wishlists right now?
[y/n]: n
Skipping instant backup...

I started with a clean image from the PTVUpgrade DSR7000 CD, so there shouldn't be a cron setup that wasn't being done by Zipper/Tweak... Thoughts?
Heckler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 08:40 PM   #1133
landie

Success!!!

Quote:
If you really get stuck you can extract the rbautch_files.tgz archive from the Zipper tools disk and copy it to the same directory as tweak.sh. It will recognize that the file is there and will use it instead of downloading a fresh one.
Thanks rbautch...this finally made it much clearer.

It has been pretty frustrating but it all worked out in the end even though I couldn't "try your zipper" I did get to try your enhancements

It's taken me a week to get through this but I'm finally getting off the porch never having done any of the following steps required:

use emule/find images
compile and burn an iso -- > use CDRW
image a new drive
copy a hacked drive - even when the power goes out!
telnet

up until now, mostly doing it over and over more than a few times!
Thanks for letting the inexperienced little dogs play!

Once you OPEN a tivo case and tear those "warning void if this seal is broken" stickers there is no turning back!

ftp was familiar territory, nothing else you all do here was.

Could not sort out dns to enter into the zipper even after moving the hub between PC and airport so I had to get enhancements through ftp

Made a tweak directory on the tivo and sent tweak.sh and rbautch_files.tar from my computer to the tivo.

Navigated to tweak directory and sh tweak.sh........

So if anyone is hesitant, get off the porch and play with these very wise, patient, big dogs. They've been generous in time and skills to make this available to everyone with the motivation!
Old 01-05-2006, 10:33 PM   #1134
rbautch
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heckler
I've just run the Zipper on my DSR7000 and the cron portion of tweak.sh isn't working:

Do you want to install cron for improved performance/logging/backups? [y/n] :y
Existing crond binary detected, replacing...
Existing cron installation detected in /var/spool/cron, skipping cron install...

Do you want to automatically make weekly backups of your season passes?
[y/n]: y
Cron installation is needed for this feature and was not found. Skipping automa
tic seasonpass backups...

Do you want to make a backup of your season passes and wishlists right now?
[y/n]: n
Skipping instant backup...

I started with a clean image from the PTVUpgrade DSR7000 CD, so there shouldn't be a cron setup that wasn't being done by Zipper/Tweak... Thoughts?
Run the uninstall script, then delete /var/spool/cron, then run tweak.sh again.

or

Old 01-05-2006, 10:55 PM   #1135
dieselpower
Pna lbh penpx zr?

Quote:
Run the uninstall script, then delete /var/spool/cron, then run tweak.sh again.
It was quicker for me just update the cron foo by hand and hup the process.
Old 01-06-2006, 11:39 AM   #1136
tsunami

Shortcut list

Hey the first post on this thread mentions reading the readme.txt file to find all the shortcuts you can use rw, ro, etc. But that readme file doesn't seem to be anywhere now. Do you have a link to it?
Old 01-06-2006, 11:47 AM   #1137
SteelersFan
"On Welfare"

Quote:
Hey the first post on this thread mentions reading the readme.txt file to find all the shortcuts you can use rw, ro, etc. But that readme file doesn't seem to be anywhere now. Do you have a link to it?
See post 1040. I happened to be looking for the file as well and searched this thread for aliases.
HR21-700, HR21-100
SteelersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 12:03 PM   #1138
SteelersFan
"On Welfare"

Hey Russ, Any chance that TuikHelper.tcl and Superpatch67Standby.tcl (fixes the menus after being superpatched - discussued here and here) could be included in the Enhancement script or The Zipper in the future?
HR21-700, HR21-100
SteelersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 12:15 PM   #1139
dieselpower
Pna lbh penpx zr?

Quote:
From the command line, just enter the command "alias" (without quotes) and it will print out a list of aliases that have been defined.
Old 01-08-2006, 12:28 AM   #1140
TubaMan-Z
Love good tuba

I saw over in the Zipper thread that there is an updated enhancement script. In case you take requests.....

Any plans to move the cron log from /var/spool/cron to /var/log - so that the log can be viewed from the TWP log viewer? (not my idea - see Dan Collins' post #1056 to this thread).

Any plans to relocate TWP in a future update to prevent it from getting wiped with /var? See post #2403 on the Zipper thread. All in the spirit of helping newbies and reducing support costs of course....

DirecTV HR20-100, 2007
Philips DSR708 (136 hrs), 2005, Zippered 12/05
RCA DVR39 (144 hrs), 2003, Zippered 12/05
RCA DVR40 (35 hrs), 2004, deactivated
DirecTV since 1995

<><
TubaMan-Z is offline   Reply With Quote