TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Underground
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-17-2005, 04:19 PM   #1021
Mullover

Smile Appreciation from another fan

Thanks rbautch! Your script ran flawlessly on my RCA DVR40. One mistake I made was saying "yes" to installing the network speed checker, when in fact, I do not have another networked Tivo. I just gave the script a "made up" IP address when I realized what I had done. I am assuming this is OK and should affect anything.

Once again, thanks a bunch!

--Mullover
Mullover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 04:47 PM   #1022
rbautch
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfriedland
Here's what I get when I run the new script

David's Tivo-bash# sh tweak.sh
Downloading latest Enhancement script...
Connecting to www.mastersav.com[69.90.236.30]:80
wget: Unable to connect to remote host (69.90.236.30): Network is unreachable
Download failed. Adjust DNS and try again? [y/n]: y
Please enter the IP address of your router: 192.168.xxx.xxx
Setting DNS settings in /etc/resolv.conf...

Done. Please re-run tweak.sh. Exiting...
rm: /enhancements: No such file or directory
David's Tivo-bash# sh tweak.sh
Downloading latest Enhancement script...
Connecting to www.mastersav.com[69.90.236.30]:80
wget: Unable to connect to remote host (69.90.236.30): Network is unreachable
Download failed. Adjust DNS and try again? [y/n]: n
Make sure your Tivo is connected to the internet, and
your network settings are correct. Exiting...
rm: /enhancements: No such file or directory
David's Tivo-bash#
Sounds like something is wrong with your network settings. How did you set your default gateway?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

rbautch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 05:50 PM   #1023
dfriedland

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbautch
Sounds like something is wrong with your network settings. How did you set your default gateway?

OK, well I got things running finally. Seems I made a simple mistake and entered my external ip address instead of my router address (192.168.xxx.xxx)
It still didn't work when I manually edited my resolv.conf file, but I re-ran the Zipper on the drive and entered the proper ip's there, and when I ran the newest script the first time, voila! It downloaded the new files.

Thanks for everyone' s help
dfriedland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 10:22 AM   #1024
dfriedland

So what are symlinks/symlinking?
dfriedland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 10:29 AM   #1025
rbautch
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfriedland
So what are symlinks/symlinking?
Hacks that expect to be in var to /enhancements/varhacks. See first post in this thread.

or

Old 12-18-2005, 10:45 AM   #1026
GaryD9

out2osd - leaving zombies.

Starting to notice a pattern with running the caller id stuff.. Seems that it's spawn of out2osd is done in such a way that it's leaving zombie processes around on the tivo box. Here's a sample from (ps aux):
Code:
  303 root        460 S   ./ncidd
  304 root       1948 S   tivosh ./tivocid --no-gui --call-prog --program /var/
  306 root       1948 S   tivosh ./tivocid --no-gui --call-prog --program /var/
  307 root       1948 S   tivosh ./tivocid --no-gui --call-prog --program /var/
 1458 root       3040 S   tcphonehome
 1664 root      11564 S   myworld
 8050 root            Z   [out2osd]
11829 root       2420 S   tivosh /var/hack/tivowebplus/httpd-tt.tcl
This only appears to be caused by out2osd processes spawned by the ncid stuff. While not a major problem, really, it's annoying. I'm going to try and find the source for ncid and see if I can figure out whats going on.

BTW, from my linux machines "man ps":
Quote:
Processes marked <defunct> are dead processes (so-called "zombies") that
remain because their parent has not destroyed them properly.

GaryD9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 11:40 PM   #1027
Conklin

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonydi
While joe.tgz is in enhancements, I searched for the components. Here's what I found...

kelly-TiVo# ffind joe
/etc/rc.d/joe
kelly-TiVo# ffind .joerc
/etc/rc.d/.joerc

I don't actually see .joerc in that directory but this could be a function of how ffind works.

Thought it might be helpful to you to know that joe.tgz got extracted but the pieces went to the wrong place for some reason.

Edit....

I extracted joe and .joerc from the original file in your archive and ftp'd them to enhancements and root. When I type author I get a whole bunch of errors. Here's a snippet of the very end.

'/.joerc 527: Bad key sequence '^K h
'/.joerc 528: Bad key sequence '^K ^H
'/.joerc 530: Bad key sequence '^P
'/.joerc 531: Bad key sequence '^[ [ A
'/.joerc 532: Bad key sequence '^[ O A
//.joerc 538: Bad key sequence '^@ TO '
//.joerc 541: Bad key sequence '^@ TO '
done
There were errors in '//.joerc'. Use it anyway?n
Couldn't open '/tivo-bin/etc/joerc'

Edit #2...

Ok, I extracted joe from the joe.tgz file in enhancements and moved .joerc to root and it works.

I think you're on the right track, clearly something about my tar must not be compatible.
I get the same result when entering "ffind joe" at the bash prompt. How would i go about running your ammended script. I used the zipper with the script that came included.
Conklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 05:15 PM   #1028
rbautch
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conklin
I get the same result when entering "ffind joe" at the bash prompt. How would i go about running your ammended script. I used the zipper with the script that came included.
Run the uninstall script (hacks/tweak_uninstall.sh), then run the script that's attached to the first post of this thread.

or

Old 12-20-2005, 03:51 PM   #1029
tsunami

Still having issues with crond running with zippered HR10-250. Typing PS at bash prompt shows crond is running. But it isn't rebooting like it should.
What log should I check to see what is going on with crond?
tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 04:43 PM   #1030
dsmturbo

tsunami, don't mean to stomp on your thread here, but am wondering if you had any problems with HR10-250? I can not get mine to Zipper (hack) properly. I am thinking that it may be the image I am using. I don't think I have a 6.2 image file at all. I may have to go to the other place a beg one.

I can't use the same image as I use for my HDVR2 Tivos, can I?
dsmturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 04:44 PM   #1031
tsunami

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmturbo
tsunami, don't mean to stomp on your thread here, but am wondering if you had any problems with HR10-250? I can not get mine to Zipper (hack) properly. I am thinking that it may be the image I am using. I don't think I have a 6.2 image file at all. I may have to go to the other place a beg one
Well you can't use 6.2, it doesn't work with the HR10. You have to use the version that is already on it. 3.15 or something like that.
With the exception of no reboot all is well with it.
Mike
tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 05:00 PM   #1032
frodneb

Humax DRT800 & Zipper

I have been reading this thread and many of the others for several weeks and am going to hack my Humax DRT800 and also upgrade to a QuickView 300GB drive.

I will probably acquire InstantCake and at the same time install the hacks.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated. I am fairly techno oriented and have worked with Linux in the past. I have also read and downloaded the free upgrade software from the site. Any words of wisdom would be much appreciated from you techno-wizards.

Thanks and Have a blessed Christmas/Chanukah.

Rich
frodneb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 05:16 PM   #1033
dsmturbo

Yes, I realized that after I posted...I am an idiot.
tsunami, if you wouldn't mind taking a look at my posts in Hacking your tivo thread...I can't get this to work. I have tried 4 times at present and after I run Tweak, the Tivo just reboots
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...50#post3591450
Old 12-20-2005, 05:19 PM   #1034
dsmturbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunami
Well you can't use 6.2, it doesn't work with the HR10. You have to use the version that is already on it. 3.15 or something like that.
With the exception of no reboot all is well with it.
Mike
Ooppss didn't see the reboot comment. What do you mean with the exception of no reboot?
Old 12-20-2005, 05:45 PM   #1035
rbautch
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by frodneb
I have been reading this thread and many of the others for several weeks and am going to hack my Humax DRT800 and also upgrade to a QuickView 300GB drive.

I will probably acquire InstantCake and at the same time install the hacks.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated. I am fairly techno oriented and have worked with Linux in the past. I have also read and downloaded the free upgrade software from the site. Any words of wisdom would be much appreciated from you techno-wizards.

Thanks and Have a blessed Christmas/Chanukah.

Rich
Unless you have physically replaced the PROM on your Tivo, it cannot be hacked with the Zipper. See here.

or

Old 12-20-2005, 05:48 PM   #1036
rbautch
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmturbo
Yes, I realized that after I posted...I am an idiot.
tsunami, if you wouldn't mind taking a look at my posts in Hacking your tivo thread...I can't get this to work. I have tried 4 times at present and after I run Tweak, the Tivo just reboots
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...50#post3591450
Try to troubleshoot it systematically by installing the hacks one by one to narrow down what the offender is. Start by selecting "no" to the usb 2.0 driver installation. You could also not run tweak.sh at all, and just reboot to see if some part of the Zipper is causing the non-boot.

or

Old 12-20-2005, 05:49 PM   #1037
rbautch
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunami
Still having issues with crond running with zippered HR10-250. Typing PS at bash prompt shows crond is running. But it isn't rebooting like it should.
What log should I check to see what is going on with crond?
There is a series of cron troubleshooting posts relatively early in this thread.

or

Old 12-21-2005, 07:40 AM   #1038
TubaMan-Z
Love good tuba

README for tweak.sh?

I successfully Zipper'ed and tweak'ed my Philips DSR708 yesterday. My sincere thanks to Gunnyman and rbautch for an early Christmas present!!

Now I'm digging further into the details on just what I've done to myself. :-) On the first post to this thread, item 3. says "See the readme for the full list of aliases installed." Can I get a pointer to the location of the readme? I've looked in tweak.zip, /hacks, and /enhancements and can't seem to find it.

Thanks again!

DirecTV HR20-100, 2007
Philips DSR708 (136 hrs), 2005, Zippered 12/05
RCA DVR39 (144 hrs), 2003, Zippered 12/05
RCA DVR40 (35 hrs), 2004, deactivated
DirecTV since 1995

<><
TubaMan-Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 09:30 AM   #1039
GaryD9

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryD9
out2osd - leaving zombies.
More info on this... the "client" portion of the NCID stuff is actually a shell script that re-spawns itself three times as a tivosh (tcl) script. That script uses 'exec' to spawn out2osd with a trailing "&" (which, in the unix world, usually means to spawn and detach.) I'm not sure how this works in the tivosh shell...

More info coming eventually...
GaryD9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 12:32 PM   #1040
rbautch
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TubaMan-Z
I successfully Zipper'ed and tweak'ed my Philips DSR708 yesterday. My sincere thanks to Gunnyman and rbautch for an early Christmas present!!

Now I'm digging further into the details on just what I've done to myself. :-) On the first post to this thread, item 3. says "See the readme for the full list of aliases installed." Can I get a pointer to the location of the readme? I've looked in tweak.zip, /hacks, and /enhancements and can't seem to find it.

Thanks again!
It's usually in the /enhancements directory. (Maybe I forgot to stick it in there on a previous version). Also attached.
Attached Files
File Type: zip readme.zip (12.3 KB, 51 views)

or

Old 12-21-2005, 05:08 PM   #1041
TubaMan-Z
Love good tuba

Mea culpa - you didn't forget. I cat'd readme.rtf, not noticing the file extension. Sorry about that.

DirecTV HR20-100, 2007
Philips DSR708 (136 hrs), 2005, Zippered 12/05
RCA DVR39 (144 hrs), 2003, Zippered 12/05
RCA DVR40 (35 hrs), 2004, deactivated
DirecTV since 1995

<><
TubaMan-Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 06:06 PM   #1042
HUGE2U

I am having a problem downloading on my HR10-250. My rc.sysinit.author has this in it:

#configure Linksys USB200M
ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.115 broadcast 192.168.1.255 netmask 255.255.248.0
sleep 60

I have no problem telneting to the IP, but it refuses to d/l even when I enter the router IP.

My router info is:

Login Type: Automatic Configuration - DHCP
IP Address: 24.24.xxx.xxx
Subnet Mask: 255.255.248.0
Default Gateway: 24.24.xxx.xxx
DNS 1: 66.75.164.90

ANy help? Any other way to d/l the files?

THANKS!

HUGE

PS - It worked fine on my DSR704

Last edited by HUGE2U : 12-21-2005 at 06:29 PM.
HUGE2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 06:58 PM   #1043
rbautch
User

First, are you the HUGE of 4.01b RID guide fame? When it fails, does it give you the option to fix your DNS settings?

or

Old 12-21-2005, 07:14 PM   #1044
HUGE2U

Yes and yes I put in the router IP (192.168.1.1) and it does change the file, I checked. But it still does not work. Hmmm.....

HUGE
Old 12-21-2005, 07:20 PM   #1045
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

is this huge as in Huge's guide?
man you got me STARTED in all this stuff!
Nice to see ya!
Old 12-21-2005, 07:23 PM   #1046
Philly Bill
Everyday is Saturday

Hey Huge. Good to see ya

Philly Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 07:36 PM   #1047
rbautch
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUGE2U
Yes and yes I put in the router IP (192.168.1.1) and it does change the file, I checked. But it still does not work. Hmmm.....

HUGE
Try adding your router IP to the /etc/hosts file. If still no worky, download the script and files archive from the Zipper website.

or

Old 12-21-2005, 08:07 PM   #1048
HUGE2U

I will try thge host file first, but where is it on the site?

HUGE
Old 12-21-2005, 08:10 PM   #1049
rbautch
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUGE2U
I will try thge host file first, but where is it on the site?

HUGE
On the tools disk. Top left.

or

Old 12-21-2005, 08:59 PM   #1050
HUGE2U

I just looked at the hosts file, it looks like this:

127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost

Do I just change the 127.0.0.1 or add a new line?

HUGE