Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Underground
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-15-2005, 08:37 PM   #991
ttodd1
Proud Computer Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbautch
On a typical network setup, your router address is your DNS address.
And on an untypical one it could be your DSL/cable modem.....
Old 12-15-2005, 09:23 PM   #992
rbautch
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greencat
Your correct the file is zero bytes. What would you suggest?

I tried adding the DNS and running the script. This is the results. I wanted to see how far it would get. I have another tivo that I did not change the DNS.
I did this with the firewall onthe router turned off. Is this using port 80 and do some ISPs block that port?
The simplist way is to grab the tools disk download from the Zipper site and extract rbautch_files.tgz from there. I'll adjust the script to check for a successful download differently. Not sure why your download is failing. Is it connected to your network okay? Trying pinging your router from your tivo (using /busybox/ping). How are you setting your IP parameters?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

rbautch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 09:29 PM   #993
rbautch
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryD9
Okay, I've changed my crontab to remove the reboot warning osd's, and changed the crontab entry for the actual reboot to call this script:

I've barely tested this, but I don't see why it wouldn't work. At least the timers work.

In the meantime, I'm pulling the S2 cross compiler toolchain (source) right now to see if I can get a cross-compiler working on my amd64 linux server. If so, I'll probably replace this script with (as mentioned earlier) a single executable that does it's own time checking, can handle ranges, etc...
You've got mad skills. I've got cross-compiler envy.

or

Old 12-15-2005, 10:07 PM   #994
GaryD9

Quote:
You've got mad skills. I've got cross-compiler envy.
First attempt, using the scripts/etc on sourceforge was a bomb. No luck. Now trying a script based on the sourceforge stuff, but altered for tivo7.2 kernels. Personally, I don't care what kernel the entire thing is set up for - they are ALL using 2.4.x linux kernels (and I'm not going to be recompiling that anyway.)

This new 7.2 script is recompiling life, the universe, and everything. So it might be another 42 minutes until it's done. In the meantime, I'm going to bed. I'll ssh into my box when I get to work in (ugh - 7 hours) and see how it's moving along. I'm trying to remember how to ... er... a minute...
GaryD9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 10:12 PM   #995
GaryD9

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryD9
I'm trying to remember how to ... er... a minute...
I have an xmas gift for you, rbautch...
GNU wget 1.10.2
Just compiled that on my amd64 box, and ftp'd it over to my refurb (HDVR2 w/ 6.2)... and it appears to work. Enjoy
GaryD9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 10:48 PM   #996
rbautch
User

You are the man. Thanks!

or

Old 12-16-2005, 02:47 AM   #997
tonydi

It seemed to me like my problems with the Zipper process that I reported over the last couple of days in the other thread are centered on the Enhancements scripts so I'm moving over to this thread.

Today I used the exact same CD's and almost the exact same procedure to Zipper my third HDVR2. It appears to have gone without incident, no "can't find file/directory" errors, no hang, nothing. The only difference was that this time I used the XP SP2 telnet procedure. Note that I do not have SP2 installed on this box but I wondered if perhaps whatever change SP2 made to telnet might have also come aboard via some other critical update. No idea if it was this change or just fate.

One thing that's common to all three Zipper'd units is that crond does not start after a reboot. I've looked at the author files and all of them have this:

# start crond after waiting 30 seconds
sleep 30
/busybox/crond

Yet a ps does not show it running.

Any idea what could be causing it not to load?
tonydi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 02:52 AM   #998
tonydi

Ooops, forgot the second problem.

Only one of the author files has the TivoWebPlus lines:

#############################################
# starting Tivowebplus
/enhancements/TWPrun.sh

The one that has this is today's patient, my third HDVR2. Perhaps the fact that the other installs didn't go according to plan explains the problem.

However, TWP doesn't load on this box! So like the crond issue, here's another thing that isn't loading from the author file.

Both busybox and enhancements directories are in the path statement.

Both tivoftpd and netserver do load so at least part of the author file is executing.

Suggestions?
Old 12-16-2005, 07:32 AM   #999
Greencat

Quote:
The simplist way is to grab the tools disk download from the Zipper site and extract rbautch_files.tgz from there. I'll adjust the script to check for a successful download differently. Not sure why your download is failing. Is it connected to your network okay? Trying pinging your router from your tivo (using /busybox/ping). How are you setting your IP parameters?
How do I use the the extract? I can ftp it but how do I get it to run? If I use sh tweak.sh it will not run with /enhancements. Do I ftp the extract to another folder and then use tweak.sh?

I will try the ping when I get home tonight. The IP addresses are static and were setup under 4.0.

Thanks for all your help. Let me know if you want me to test anything to see why the script is failing.
Greencat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 09:15 AM   #1000
rbautch
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonydi
Ooops, forgot the second problem.

Only one of the author files has the TivoWebPlus lines:

#############################################
# starting Tivowebplus
/enhancements/TWPrun.sh

The one that has this is today's patient, my third HDVR2. Perhaps the fact that the other installs didn't go according to plan explains the problem.

However, TWP doesn't load on this box! So like the crond issue, here's another thing that isn't loading from the author file.

Both busybox and enhancements directories are in the path statement.

Both tivoftpd and netserver do load so at least part of the author file is executing.

Suggestions?
Try running the author file from the bash prompt, just like it was a script. Then check to see what's running with ps. If something did not get added to the author file, either add it manually, or uninstall/reinstall the script.

or

Old 12-16-2005, 09:19 AM   #1001
rbautch
User

Quote:
How do I use the the extract? I can ftp it but how do I get it to run? If I use sh tweak.sh it will not run with /enhancements. Do I ftp the extract to another folder and then use tweak.sh?

I will try the ping when I get home tonight. The IP addresses are static and were setup under 4.0.

Thanks for all your help. Let me know if you want me to test anything to see why the script is failing.
First uninstall whatever is on there now, and then delete the enhancements directory. FTP the tweak.sh and rbautch_files.tgz files from the Zipper archive anywhere on your tivo, and then run tweak.sh. After you run the enhancement script, if you have ifconfig statements in your author file, remove them. After you reboot, try using the latest script from the enhancement script and see if it will download a new script successfully.

or

Old 12-16-2005, 02:26 PM   #1002
tonydi

I guess it was just fate that the third HDVR2 install went fine. On my final unit I again used the XP SP2 telnet instructions even though I don't have SP2 installed.

It appears as though the only error in the tweak.sh process was that it couldn't find /enhancements/.joerc when I told it to install joe. It did say it made the necessary profile change, however.

So far the only thing consistent about this whole process is that it's pretty inconsistent! I've got four units and I don't think any of them turned out exactly the same, even the two where I uninstalled and reinstalled the enhancements. Weird deal, huh.

Anyway, can you show me how to install joe "manually" so I don't have to uninstall and reinstall the enhancements?
Old 12-16-2005, 02:41 PM   #1003
rbautch
User

Look for joe.tgz in /enhancements, and extract the archive which contains joe and .joerc. Copy .joerc to root. Done. I'm going to adjust the joe install since a few people seem to be having the same problem. I think it has to do with the version of tar that you have.

or

Old 12-16-2005, 04:06 PM   #1004
rbautch
User

Quote:

I adjusted the script to handle download failures better. I reposted it at the top of this thread. If you haven't yet used the one from the Zipper, give this a try to see if it fixes your DNS issue.

or

Old 12-16-2005, 05:42 PM   #1005
Greencat

Quote:
I adjusted the script to handle download failures better. I reposted it at the top of this thread. If you haven't yet used the one from the Zipper, give this a try to see if it fixes your DNS issue.
I tried the new script and it tried to set the DNS but stopped.

Quote:
bash-2.02# find tweak.sh
/var/packages/tweak.sh
bash-2.02# sh tweak.sh
Downloading latest Enhancement script...
Connecting to www.mastersav.com[69.90.236.30]:80
wget: Unable to connect to remote host (69.90.236.30): Network is unreachable
Download failed. Adjust DNS and try again? [y/n]: y
Make sure your Tivo is connected to the internet, and
your network settings are correct. Exiting...
rm: /enhancements: No such file or directory
I'll try the ping and also your other suggestions.
Old 12-16-2005, 06:06 PM   #1006
Greencat

Quote:
After ftp the files.tgz file the script ran fine except it reported that the DNS was set to 0.0.0.0. I thought I had set it to the router. Even after reporting the 0.0.0.0 it did not offer to fix it.

I went to my other machine and I could ping the router but can not get the script to run. By the way how do yu stop the ping? is it ctrl-s?

Let me know if you want me to try something else. If not I will ftp the files to the other tivo.

Thanks for your help.
Old 12-16-2005, 06:48 PM   #1007
sonyuser

Trying To Catch Up

Many thanks to this forum and Rbautch and Gunnyman's help, I successfully got my Series II's brought up to date (at that time) with 6.2 and MRV back in Sept 2005. Got all my units talking to each other and even doing it wireless.

The "Tweak" Rbautch now has to offer appears to have a few more hacks added that the September version. What really catches my eye now are the USB 2.0 drivers (wireless I hope) and the CALLERID. Taking Rbautch's advice and monitoring my present telephone activity (with phone line unplugged), it appears that the unit is attempting to call out everyday but getting the "no dial tone" error so I am not ready to plug in the phone line just yet.

Question is this: Do I need to start over with an unhacked Tivo to install the latest version of your "Tweak" hacks or is there a way to update what I have already done? Hoping to get up to date without having to pull the lid off the Tivo unit (the heads of the screws are getting a bit worn).

By the way, did I mention that this is an EXCELLENT SITE!

sonyuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 08:08 PM   #1008
tonydi

Quote:
Look for joe.tgz in /enhancements, and extract the archive which contains joe and .joerc. Copy .joerc to root. Done. I'm going to adjust the joe install since a few people seem to be having the same problem. I think it has to do with the version of tar that you have.
While joe.tgz is in enhancements, I searched for the components. Here's what I found...

kelly-TiVo# ffind joe
/etc/rc.d/joe
kelly-TiVo# ffind .joerc
/etc/rc.d/.joerc

I don't actually see .joerc in that directory but this could be a function of how ffind works.

Thought it might be helpful to you to know that joe.tgz got extracted but the pieces went to the wrong place for some reason.

Edit....

I extracted joe and .joerc from the original file in your archive and ftp'd them to enhancements and root. When I type author I get a whole bunch of errors. Here's a snippet of the very end.

'/.joerc 527: Bad key sequence '^K h
'/.joerc 528: Bad key sequence '^K ^H
'/.joerc 530: Bad key sequence '^P
'/.joerc 531: Bad key sequence '^[ [ A
'/.joerc 532: Bad key sequence '^[ O A
//.joerc 538: Bad key sequence '^@ TO '
//.joerc 541: Bad key sequence '^@ TO '
done
There were errors in '//.joerc'. Use it anyway?n
Couldn't open '/tivo-bin/etc/joerc'

Edit #2...

Ok, I extracted joe from the joe.tgz file in enhancements and moved .joerc to root and it works.

I think you're on the right track, clearly something about my tar must not be compatible.

Last edited by tonydi : 12-16-2005 at 10:53 PM.
Old 12-16-2005, 10:54 PM   #1009
rbautch
User

Quote:
I tried the new script and it tried to set the DNS but stopped.
I'll try the ping and also your other suggestions.
I had a typo in there (spelled DNS wrong ) Try the new one I just posted.

or

Old 12-16-2005, 10:58 PM   #1010
rbautch
User

Quote:
While joe.tgz is in enhancements, I searched for the components. Here's what I found...

kelly-TiVo# ffind joe
/etc/rc.d/joe
kelly-TiVo# ffind .joerc
/etc/rc.d/.joerc

I don't actually see .joerc in that directory but this could be a function of how ffind works.

Thought it might be helpful to you to know that joe.tgz got extracted but the pieces went to the wrong place for some reason.

Edit....

I extracted joe and .joerc from the original file in your archive and ftp'd them to enhancements and root. When I type author I get a whole bunch of errors. Here's a snippet of the very end.

'/.joerc 527: Bad key sequence '^K h
'/.joerc 528: Bad key sequence '^K ^H
'/.joerc 530: Bad key sequence '^P
'/.joerc 531: Bad key sequence '^[ [ A
'/.joerc 532: Bad key sequence '^[ O A
//.joerc 538: Bad key sequence '^@ TO '
//.joerc 541: Bad key sequence '^@ TO '
done
There were errors in '//.joerc'. Use it anyway?n
Couldn't open '/tivo-bin/etc/joerc'

Edit #2...

Ok, I extracted joe from the joe.tgz file in enhancements and moved .joerc to root and it works.

I think you're on the right track, clearly something about my tar must not be compatible.
Thanks for the data. I changed the script to hardcode the extraction to a particular directory. Give it a try if you're up to it.

or

Old 12-16-2005, 11:00 PM   #1011
rbautch
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonyuser
Many thanks to this forum and Rbautch and Gunnyman's help, I successfully got my Series II's brought up to date (at that time) with 6.2 and MRV back in Sept 2005. Got all my units talking to each other and even doing it wireless.

The "Tweak" Rbautch now has to offer appears to have a few more hacks added that the September version. What really catches my eye now are the USB 2.0 drivers (wireless I hope) and the CALLERID. Taking Rbautch's advice and monitoring my present telephone activity (with phone line unplugged), it appears that the unit is attempting to call out everyday but getting the "no dial tone" error so I am not ready to plug in the phone line just yet.

Question is this: Do I need to start over with an unhacked Tivo to install the latest version of your "Tweak" hacks or is there a way to update what I have already done? Hoping to get up to date without having to pull the lid off the Tivo unit (the heads of the screws are getting a bit worn).

By the way, did I mention that this is an EXCELLENT SITE!

No need to pull the drive. Just run the uninstall script, delete the rbautch-files.tgz archive, and delete the old tweak.sh. Then run the one that's attached to the first post of this thread.

or

Old 12-17-2005, 12:06 AM   #1012
FastEddieG

Thanks for all of your efforts on this script. I would highly recommend adding a version number to the file name. tweak1.21.zip vs tweak1.45.zip is a lot nicer than tweak.zip vs tweak.zip

I'm going to help a friend tomorrow. We set his HDVR2 up with zipper and your enhancement script a month ago. Now unfortunatelly his Linksys USB200 disconnected (around Thanksgiving). No link light even after multiple reboots. Not sure what went wrong, but I will begin troubleshooting by uninstalling the existing enhancement script, and installing the latest one.

Kind regards,
-Ed

EDIT:
Oh yeah, we also config'd it to use DHCP. I know DHCP is flakey, so hopefully that is the problem. Instead, I will just hardcode that mac to an IP in his router, and manually configure the same IP in the network portion of the script. Hopefully that will do it.
FastEddieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 02:21 AM   #1013
tonydi

In reading through some other threads here I happened upon one that talked about the kernel logs. I pulled the logs from all 4 of our Zipper'd HDVR2 units.

There are some errors in there related to the enhancements script that I thought you might be interested in.

Two of them have this error...

Dec 16 20:04:58 (none) kernel: Fakecall ran successfully!
Dec 16 20:04:58 (none) kernel: couldn't open "/var/spool/cron/cronlogs/CRONLOG-MAIN": read-only file system
Dec 16 20:04:58 (none) kernel: while executing
Dec 16 20:04:58 (none) kernel: "open /var/spool/cron/cronlogs/CRONLOG-MAIN a"
Dec 16 20:04:58 (none) kernel: (file "/busybox/fakecall.tcl" line 87)

The other two had this error but it looks like it eventually fixed itself as the file is there and has entries on both boxes....

Dec 15 08:28:45 (none) kernel: Fakecall ran successfully!
Dec 15 08:28:45 (none) kernel: couldn't open "/var/spool/cron/cronlogs/CRONLOG-MAIN": no such file or directory
Dec 15 08:28:45 (none) kernel: while executing
Dec 15 08:28:45 (none) kernel: "open /var/spool/cron/cronlogs/CRONLOG-MAIN a"
Dec 15 08:28:45 (none) kernel: (file "/busybox/fakecall.tcl" line 87)

What can I do about the first "ro" errors?
Old 12-17-2005, 08:37 AM   #1014
FastEddieG

Quote:
Two of them have this error...

Dec 16 20:04:58 (none) kernel: Fakecall ran successfully!
Dec 16 20:04:58 (none) kernel: couldn't open "/var/spool/cron/cronlogs/CRONLOG-MAIN": read-only file system
Dec 16 20:04:58 (none) kernel: while executing
Dec 16 20:04:58 (none) kernel: "open /var/spool/cron/cronlogs/CRONLOG-MAIN a"
Dec 16 20:04:58 (none) kernel: (file "/busybox/fakecall.tcl" line 87)

What can I do about the first "ro" errors?
I posted this earlier in this thread and it seems to work.

Nothing big, fakecall can't write to the log due to inability to write to the fs. So, I don't know if this is the ideal fix, but I changed the fakecall reference in /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit.author to include rw before and ro after, just as I have it below, and it seems to work fine..

####################################
echo "running fakecall"
mount -o remount,rw /
fakecall.tcl
mount -o remount,ro /

Hope that works for you,
-Ed
FastEddieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 08:44 AM   #1015
sonyuser

Quote:
No need to pull the drive. Just run the uninstall script, delete the rbautch-files.tgz archive, and delete the old tweak.sh. Then run the one that's attached to the first post of this thread.

Sounds easy enough. I am assuming this is to be done with my WIRED e-net connection (vice wireless). I am looking back at when I did my original hacking in September. I copied the TWEAK.SH and the RBAUTCH-FILES.tgz to my VAR directory on the TIVO. Today, I am still seeing the TWEAK.SH but cannot find the RBAUTCH-FILES.tgz archive file. Not sure what happened to it, but either way, if I did delete it, would I not need a replacement RBAUTCH-FILES.tgz archive on my machine for the TWEAK.sh script to run properly? The new Tweak.zip file only has the .sh file in it, no new .tgz file?

As usual, thanks for the quick replies this post provides.
Old 12-17-2005, 09:48 AM   #1016
sonyuser

OK, found RBAUTCH-FILES.tgz file in the \enhancements folder (after I did a bit more reading). But I guess this still takes me back to my final question: If I delete this file from my TIVO, does the TWEAK.SH script not need this .tgz file to properly run the script? If I understand it correctly, these .tgz files are similar to ZIP files in Windows.
Old 12-17-2005, 11:04 AM   #1017
rbautch
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonyuser
OK, found RBAUTCH-FILES.tgz file in the \enhancements folder (after I did a bit more reading). But I guess this still takes me back to my final question: If I delete this file from my TIVO, does the TWEAK.SH script not need this .tgz file to properly run the script? If I understand it correctly, these .tgz files are similar to ZIP files in Windows.
Run the uninstall script first, which will copy the tgz file to your current directory before it deletes the /enhancements directory, and then delete the tgz file. The new script downloads a new tgz file directly to your tivo on the fly. That's why you don't want the old one in there.

or

Old 12-17-2005, 11:18 AM   #1018
rbautch
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastEddieG
I posted this earlier in this thread and it seems to work.

Nothing big, fakecall can't write to the log due to inability to write to the fs. So, I don't know if this is the ideal fix, but I changed the fakecall reference in /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit.author to include rw before and ro after, just as I have it below, and it seems to work fine..

echo "running fakecall"
mount -o remount,rw /
fakecall.tcl
mount -o remount,ro /

Hope that works for you,
-Ed
The issue is that cron used to write the logs to var, which is always mounted rw, but now it writes to /enhancements/varhacks (to keep everything out of var), which is not always mounted rw. Fakecall will run fine without having to mount the root filesystem rw, but it just won't write to the cronlog. Remounting in the author file (as noted above) will work fine for fakecall, but a better way to do it would be to modify the crontab to mount rw before each chunk of tasks, so all cron activites continue to be logged. Despite the warnings of keeping your filesystem mounted ro all the time, no one has ever difinitively documented anything bad happening because of having the filesystem mounted rw. So, keeping you filesystem mounted rw is another option. Or you could just make it rw when you want to start logging cron events. The vast majority of users don't care about looking at the cronlog anyway.

or

Old 12-17-2005, 11:25 AM   #1019
rbautch
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastEddieG
Thanks for all of your efforts on this script. I would highly recommend adding a version number to the file name. tweak1.21.zip vs tweak1.45.zip is a lot nicer than tweak.zip vs tweak.zip
Good suggestion, but.... The tweak script is not the main script. It merely downloads the files archive (rbautch_files.tgz), which contains the main script. The tweak.sh file does not change from version to version, so having a descriptor on it wouldn't mean anything. I started putting the version number in the start.sh file (the main script), and a complete version history is included in the readme.rtf file. I suppose I could add a descriptor on the start.sh file, but then I'd have to always remember to change the references to it elsewhere or else the script would fail. In short, you can always check your version number by examining /enhancements/start.sh, and as long as you run the uninstall script before running a new version, you'll be in good shape.

Quote:
I'm going to help a friend tomorrow. We set his HDVR2 up with zipper and your enhancement script a month ago. Now unfortunatelly his Linksys USB200 disconnected (around Thanksgiving). No link light even after multiple reboots. Not sure what went wrong, but I will begin troubleshooting by uninstalling the existing enhancement script, and installing the latest one.

Kind regards,
-Ed

EDIT:
Oh yeah, we also config'd it to use DHCP. I know DHCP is flakey, so hopefully that is the problem. Instead, I will just hardcode that mac to an IP in his router, and manually configure the same IP in the network portion of the script. Hopefully that will do it.
This is where a serial cable would come in handy. Otherwise, you'll have no way to run the latest enhancement script, or to check the network settings. Your only option may be to pull the drive and re-Zipper it, which will keep recordings in tact as long as you dont install a new image.

or

Old 12-17-2005, 12:54 PM   #1020
dfriedland

Here's what I get when I run the new script

David's Tivo-bash# sh tweak.sh
Download failed. Adjust DNS and try again? [y/n]: y
Please enter the IP address of your router: 192.168.xxx.xxx
Setting DNS settings in /etc/resolv.conf...

Done. Please re-run tweak.sh. Exiting...
David's Tivo-bash# sh tweak.sh
Download failed. Adjust DNS and try again? [y/n]: n
Make sure your Tivo is connected to the internet, and
your network settings are correct. Exiting...
David's Tivo-bash#
dfriedland is offline   Reply With Quote