TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Underground
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-07-2005, 04:02 PM   #751
AJRitz
Princess Anti-Santa

The Linky 200M may be the culprit. I was getting about the same numbers you're reporting when using the 200M. I switched to the Netgear FA120 and my throughput improved over 300%.
Old 11-08-2005, 12:27 AM   #752
austin61

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeckner
And the Merge panel does not allow shifting of selections at least in IE 6.0.
I couldn't reorder the programs I was trying to merge, either. It looks like reorder. js is not installed in the tivowebplus directory with the latest script. At least it wasn't on my 3 units. I had "reorder.js" on my pc from an older version of TWP. I ftped it into the TWP folder and now I can change the order of the programs I am trying to merge.
austin61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 10:13 PM   #753
Stew Pididiot

Sorry if this has already been discussed...

I'm using a HR10-250 and a Netgear FA-120 USB network adaptor. I elected to install the USB 2.0 drivers when I ran this script. (By the way this script rules!) Anyway, no more USB adaptor after the reboot--no power on it at all.

I pulled the drive and copied the backup version of the network driver back to the /lib/modules directory, still no joy. Any suggestions to get me back online?

Thanks!
Stew Pididiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 10:31 PM   #754
rbautch
User

If you copied the original drivers back from the /lib/modules/backups-orig directory, the problem is that when you copy the ax8817x.o driver, it doesn't overwrite the symlink that the script put there. So, pull the drive again and delete the ax8817x.o symlink first, and then copy the original driver back from .../backups-orig. Not sure why the USB2.0 drivers didn't work in the first place. Did the script correctly identify your Tivo model and kernel when it first ran? Also check for a file archive in the /lib/modules directory called drivers2.4.x.tgz. What is "x" in the filename?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

rbautch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 10:59 PM   #755
Stew Pididiot

Thanks for the help!

drivers2.4.20.tgz
Old 11-10-2005, 11:04 PM   #756
Stew Pididiot

unfortunately I got cute and uninstalled the script after being unsuccessful. Then I rewrote my rc.sysinit.author file to its original settings. Still no network. I can't figure out whats wrong with it now. I'm thinking of re-imaging the drive and trying this all from scratch. Any suggestions?
Old 11-10-2005, 11:40 PM   #757
rbautch
User

The uninstall script should have restored the orignal drivers, and unless you were working with an older script version, it should have taken care of overwriting that symlink. Did you reboot after you ran the uninstall script? If not, try that. Looks like the correct driver archive was indeed copied to your /lib/modules directory. Since it's still there, try untarring manually with:

Code:
tar -zxvf drivers2.4.20.tgz
and then
Code:
ln -s /lib/modules/usbnet.o /lib/modules/ax8817x.o
...and then reboot. If still no luck, then just re-image it.

or

Old 11-10-2005, 11:56 PM   #758
Stew Pididiot

This is interesting-

I reloaded my original rc.sysinit.author file and got the network back up and running (with the original network drivers having been already copied back over earlier).

I re-applied the script, this time selecting NO for the USB 2.0 drivers. The network is again gone. Any idea why? I would think that it would leave things alone when the USB2.0 system is bypassed...
Old 11-11-2005, 09:31 AM   #759
rbautch
User

Pull the drive, and restore your old author file, but save the modified author file somwhere safe. Telnet back in to the tivo, and then post the modified author file here.

or

Old 11-12-2005, 12:19 PM   #760
rbautch
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterEd
My "yellow stars" still won't go away. Been a week or more. (HR10-250). Other then that everything is good in HDef land.
After about two weeks, my yellow stars finally disappeared. Showcases still appear in the menu, but now just say "Showcases", not "Showcases and TV Guide".

or

Old 11-12-2005, 11:50 PM   #761
MisterEd
Very Large Member

Haven't paid attention to it for a while but after getting your message I checked. All gone. If I go into Showcases it says "no showcases available."

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbautch
After about two weeks, my yellow stars finally disappeared. Showcases still appear in the menu, but now just say "Showcases", not "Showcases and TV Guide".

MisterEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 11:55 PM   #762
rbautch
User

How bout that!

or

Old 11-13-2005, 06:07 PM   #763
Stew Pididiot

I re-imaged the drive, just to get a fresh start.

I re-applied the scriprt and paid closer attention during the install. This error message was generated just before the step that installs Joe:

Adding the /enhancements directory to your PATH statement...
/enhancements/start.sh: sed: command not found
/enhancements/start.sh: line 136: 325 Broken pipe cat /.profile
326 Done(127) | sed -e '/PATH=/s/$/:\/enhancements/' >/.pro
file2

I also got this message when adding color to bash:
Do you want to add color to your bash prompt? [y/n]: y

/enhancements/start.sh: awk: command not found

Looks like I'm missing "sed" and "awk" -- could this be the source of network interface disabling troubles?

Where do I find sed and awk, and where are they supposed to be saved?
Old 11-13-2005, 06:25 PM   #764
rbautch
User

Download Alphawolf's all-in-one utilities, and put them in /busybox. There's a lilnk to the utilities on the Zipper webpage. Make sure /busybox is in your PATH statement. This could very well be the source of your trouble, since the script depends on several commands in the utilities package, one of which helps to properly identify your Tivo and install the correct drivers.

or

Old 11-13-2005, 06:27 PM   #765
rbautch
User

Version 2.6 Released!

The latest version has some very cool new features, including:

1. Automatically downloads the rbautch-files.tgz archive from within the tweak.sh script. This means I only have to distribute the very tiny tweak.sh file, and let it download the main script and hacks on the fly. So, version 2.6 is not on the website, but rather is included in the original post of this thread. In future versions, you won't have to download anything, since the tweak.sh file will automatically get the most current script on its own.

2. Keeps your hacks out of /var.
The /var partition is the equivalent of a Windows recycle bin, and occasionally your Tivo will decide to wipe everything in there. The problem is that many hacks are hardcoded to use /var, and will not work if stored anywhere else. All such hacks installed by the enhancements script are now stored in /enhancements/varhacks. The script creates symlinks in /var that point to the corresponding hacks in /enhancments/varhacks. It also appends the author file with commands to recreate the symlinks if /var ever gets wiped. If you want to move other hacks out of var, copy them to /enhancements/varhacks, and then run the script called var-symlinks.

3. Installs custom Tivowebplus icons. Courtesy of TheEndless, as posted here.

4. Other minor fixes/changes. Now backs up author file earlier in the script to prevent duplications. Made the uninstall script more foolproof (see readme for details). Added reorder.js to TWP directory.

or

Old 11-13-2005, 07:04 PM   #766
Stew Pididiot

I ran the script and there were no errors during its operation. It correctly identified my HR10-250 unit.

I rebooted, but still no network card. Weird. I wonder if there is a modification on the FA-120 that slightly changed the driver or something. I haven't seen that anyone else has had any problems with applying this to their HR10-250 though. Any other ideas?
Old 11-13-2005, 07:58 PM   #767
rbautch
User

Since your network works before you run the script, and you're not letting the script install USB2.0 drivers, I'm puzzled what could kill your connection. As with any other troubleshooting, you have to be patient and systematic to narrow down the issue. Here is what I suggest:

Re-image to get network back up.
Run the script, and answer no to everything, and reboot.
If you still have network, uninstall/reinstall the script over and over, answering yes to one thing at a time.

If the first run though kills your connection, try running the following commands, rebooting where noted to see if they kill your connection:

tivosh /enhancements/ipflags.tcl
Reboot
ipaddress="`ifconfig | grep "inet addr:" | awk '{print $2}' | sed 1d | cut -c6-30`"
echo "$ipaddress" > /enhancements/ipaddress_flag
Reboot

or

Old 11-13-2005, 08:35 PM   #768
salvatore

Just installed version 2.6 of this script, and of course it works like a champ. Great work again Russ.

Two suggestions:
* Im sure its occurred to you, but you may want to keep two versions available: one with the download script, and one with everything bundled for those not hooking the TiVo to the Internet.
* I find myself issuing a print working directory (pwd) command quite a bit since its removed when I install the alternate bash prompt. How about a prompt that prints the name of the subfolder Im in?

Thanks again.
psn radio - http://www.palmisanonet.com:9875
salvatore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 09:59 PM   #769
clambert11
TV Junkie

Changing Unit Name

I hacked 3 TiVo's for a friend of mine for the first time this weekend thanks to you and Gunnyman. I couldn't believe how easy you guys have made it.

Everything appears to be in place. I'm just waiting for the FA120's to show up to test MRV.

Anyway, is there a file I can edit when to change the Room Name of the unit for MRV? If so, what file is it? If not, I guess my only other option is to unistall and reinstall, huh?

Keep up the great work!

-- Craig
clambert11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 10:03 PM   #770
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

you can change mrv name right in tivoweb or you can run set_mrv_name.tcl from bash.
Old 11-13-2005, 10:06 PM   #771
clambert11
TV Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnyman
you can change mrv name right in tivoweb or you can run set_mrv_name.tcl from bash.
Well damn. That was a quick response.

Thanks!

-- Craig
clambert11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 10:07 PM   #772
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

just doing a quick drive by before bed ( that and I have no life)
Old 11-13-2005, 11:09 PM   #773
bnm81002

Quote:
The latest version has some very cool new features, including:

1. Automatically downloads the rbautch-files.tgz archive from within the tweak.sh script. This means I only have to distribute the very tiny tweak.sh file, and let it download the main script and hacks on the fly. So, version 2.6 is not on the website, but rather is included in the original post of this thread. In future versions, you won't have to download anything, since the tweak.sh file will automatically get the most current script on its own.

2. Keeps your hacks out of /var.
The /var partition is the equivalent of a Windows recycle bin, and occasionally your Tivo will decide to wipe everything in there. The problem is that many hacks are hardcoded to use /var, and will not work if stored anywhere else. All such hacks installed by the enhancements script are now stored in /enhancements/varhacks. The script creates symlinks in /var that point to the corresponding hacks in /enhancments/varhacks. It also appends the author file with commands to recreate the symlinks if /var ever gets wiped. If you want to move other hacks out of var, copy them to /enhancements/varhacks, and then run the script called var-symlinks.

3. Installs custom Tivowebplus icons. Courtesy of TheEndless, as posted here.

4. Other minor fixes/changes. Now backs up author file earlier in the script to prevent duplications. Made the uninstall script more foolproof (see readme for details). Added reorder.js to TWP directory.

hey Russ,
will you include that script from "DDB" that I sent you a PM about in a future update to your enhancement scripts? thanks
Pioneer DVR810H-not in use
bnm81002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 09:44 AM   #774
TomK

Using the new 2.6 script did not result in the tivowebplus files getting put in an /enhancements subdirectory. Instead, the tivowebplus directory is still in /var/hack. Is that right? I thought the purpose of the new script was to get the tivowebplus directory in the /enhancement/varhacks directory. Did I do something wrong?
TomK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 09:56 AM   #775
TomK

Another note: I couldn't run just the tweak.sh script because the script found the /enhancements directory in the first step and stopped right there. The tweak.sh script later on performs the tweak-uninstall.sh after downloading the current rbautch-files.tgz file. It seems like the tweak.sh script wouldn't check to see if the /enhancements directory exists in the first step. Just download the new rbautch-files.tgz file and then uninstall, install. etc.
Old 11-14-2005, 11:20 AM   #776
rbautch
User

The only hack I kept in /var is TWP. The reason for that is because TWP is so large, I didn't want the root directory to fill up. Besides, TWP is contained in a single folder that can be FTP's back to the Tivo with ease if var ever gets wiped. This is a convenient way to evenly distribute the space taken up by hacks between var and root, so neither one fills up. I just had an idea to modify the author file to look for the TWP directory on every boot, and if it doesn't find it, automatically download a new one from my website on the fly. We'll save that for the next version.
Old 11-14-2005, 11:27 AM   #777
TomK

Makes sense to me.
Old 11-14-2005, 11:31 AM   #778
rbautch
User

Quote:
I couldn't run just the tweak.sh script because the script found the /enhancements directory in the first step and stopped right there. The tweak.sh script later on performs the tweak-uninstall.sh after downloading the current rbautch-files.tgz file. It seems like the tweak.sh script wouldn't check to see if the /enhancements directory exists in the first step. Just download the new rbautch-files.tgz file and then uninstall, install. etc.
The tweak.sh script has to first check to see if you ran the uninstall script before it runs the new one so you don't get duplicate entries in your author file, and multiple copies of hacks on your system. The new tweak.sh doesn't actually run the uninstall script, it only downloads it for you to use later. Maybe in the next version, I'll have the tweak.sh script look for an existing installation first, and then prompt you to uninstall it before it continues with the new one.
Old 11-14-2005, 11:56 AM   #779
TomK

Quote:
The new tweak.sh doesn't actually run the uninstall script, it only downloads it for you to use later.
You're right, and I need to pay attention better while reading things.
Old 11-14-2005, 05:52 PM   #780
jed5426

tweak.sh: /enhancements/start.sh: No such file or directory

I have read every post in this thread and have been wrestling with this for a while.

I can't get the tweak.sh script to run:

bash-2.02# echo $PATH
./:.:/bin:/sbin:/tvbin:/tivo-bin:/busybox
bash-2.02# dos2unix tweak*
bash-2.02# sh tweak.sh
Running rbautch Hacked Tivo Enhancements...
Do you want to run the "express" version (for advanced users)? [y/n]: n
tweak.sh: /enhancements/start.sh: No such file or directory
bash-2.02#

any ideas? i've tried every suggestion in this thread.
jed5426 is offline   Reply With Quote