TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Underground
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-24-2005, 10:17 PM   #601
bnm81002

hey Russ,
I see that there's a 2.5 beta version for your scripts, what is that for? which version should be used with "The Zipper" then? thanks
Pioneer DVR810H-not in use
bnm81002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 10:58 PM   #602
rbautch
User

It's still being developed, and only a few brave souls are testing it with me. When it's ready to be officially released, I'll announce the new features. If you want to upgrade from the version that came with the Zipper, just run the uninstall script to remove the old one, and then install the new one.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

rbautch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 12:09 AM   #603
Dirac

I have been a lot more timid since "Office TiVo" took a nosedive. Sorry Russ!

2x HR20-700
2x SIR-S4040R, stock (for sale)
HR10-250, v. 6.4a stock
Dirac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 10:19 AM   #604
scruffy

Installed 2.5 bata on 5 systems

OK well I have installed the bata 2.5 release on 5 systems and everything seems to be running fine. i can not see any problems yet.
scruffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 01:33 PM   #605
fonzarelli

is /var getting wiped a normal thing? I've been having great luck until my box crashed on Sunday night. Now, if it crashes or if I restart it, /var is wiped. It only takes a few minutes to fix, so it's not a big deal, but any suggestions would be appreciated.
fonzarelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 01:40 PM   #606
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

basically just don't keep stuff in /var

Old 10-28-2005, 09:24 PM   #607
scruffy

Were do you keep your stuff

gunnyman I just have on question for you. were do you keep you stuff if not in the /var dir..

Also installed 2.5ver2 on one system looks good
scruffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 09:34 PM   #608
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

in /hack
Old 10-28-2005, 09:36 PM   #609
bnm81002

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnyman
in /hack

hey Gunny,
does the Zipper or the Enhancement Scripts do that for you or do you have to do that yourself? thanks
Old 10-28-2005, 09:39 PM   #610
BTUx9
back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scruffy
gunnyman I just have on question for you. were do you keep you stuff if not in the /var dir..

Also installed 2.5ver2 on one system looks good
Here's a rundown of places hacks can be kept:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...on#post3210355
BTUx9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 09:46 PM   #611
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnm81002
hey Gunny,
does the Zipper or the Enhancement Scripts do that for you or do you have to do that yourself? thanks
Only Tivowebplus is stored in /var/hack
the rest is all in /hacks
Old 10-28-2005, 10:38 PM   #612
LlamaLarry

This is something that I have always wondered and since you guys brought it up...
Why do some folks keep things in /var at all since it is prone to getting wiped with the file system runs low on disk space? Is there any other reason that old *nix habits?

As long as you handle your PATH why not put your stuff where ever ya like?
LlamaLarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 10:41 PM   #613
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

probably because /var is not readonly by default.
and it sits on a separate partition in the tivo /dev/hda9
Old 10-28-2005, 10:45 PM   #614
bnm81002

Quote:
Only Tivowebplus is stored in /var/hack
the rest is all in /hacks

so the Enhancement Scripts will do that for me automatically when I install the Scripts, correct? or do I have to do it myself? thanks
Old 10-28-2005, 10:53 PM   #615
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

zipper makes sure it doens't overload your /var.
just make sure you allow cron to wipe/archive you logs so you can ftp them off tivo and delete them from time to time.
BIG log files is another way to make sure var gets wiped.
Old 10-28-2005, 11:30 PM   #616
bnm81002

Quote:
zipper makes sure it doens't overload your /var.
just make sure you allow cron to wipe/archive you logs so you can ftp them off tivo and delete them from time to time.
BIG log files is another way to make sure var gets wiped.

what logs need to be ftp and deleted? when should they be deleted as well(time frame)? thanks
Old 10-29-2005, 01:59 AM   #617
rbautch
User

The Enhancements script sets up a cron task to wipe your logs regularly. As long as you said yes to the cron install, you're good to go.

or

Old 10-29-2005, 02:05 AM   #618
rbautch
User

Version 2.5 Released!

New features/fixes: (see original post for details)

Added full support for the HR10-250. Thanks to MisterEd for testing this extensively!

Installs endpad or endpadplus.

Installs joe text editor.

Changes bash prompt to be more descriptive and colorful (see attached).

Adds “express” version of the script which deletes all sleep commands on the fly, making the script run faster. This is aimed at advanced users who don't care about the on-screen echo statements.

Adjusted uninstall script to move rbautch-files.tgz archive to the directory tweak-uninstall was run from. This allows you to uninstall/reinstall the script cleanly.

If existing profile is found, appends aliases to it instead of overwriting it.

Fixed Tivowebplus restarts so they don’t delete /dev/null (thanks to JamieP).

Fixed TWP aliases.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg color-bash.jpg (22.2 KB, 34 views)

or

Last edited by rbautch : 10-29-2005 at 02:16 AM.
Old 10-29-2005, 09:01 AM   #619
AbMagFab
What happened, TiVo?

Thanks! Trying it out now on one of my HD Tivo's.

That "unset crlf" is nice. Is there any way to make that a default for the XP telnet? Or is there another freeware telnet program you can recommend? Or another termtype for the Tivo?

That extra crlf is annoying.

Multiple S3s, HDs, HDXLs, Premieres - all looking like relics now
TiVo is on it's way out -
!
AbMagFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 09:10 AM   #620
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

Russ,
I'm not sure why, but my author files on both tivos had alot of duplicate entries in them for netserver and crond after installing this latest script.
I ran the uninstall prior to the new install. I used advanced mode. Does a new author file get generated by the script, or does an existing one get appended?
It seems that multiple script installs (as items get upgraded) is going to cause this issue, or is it just my units?
Old 10-29-2005, 01:45 PM   #621
rbautch
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbMagFab
Thanks! Trying it out now on one of my HD Tivo's.

That "unset crlf" is nice. Is there any way to make that a default for the XP telnet? Or is there another freeware telnet program you can recommend? Or another termtype for the Tivo?

That extra crlf is annoying.
Annoying, yes! I use a program called Absolute Telent, with enter set to send CR instead of CR/LF (under VT options). You can also permanently set the IP address and other settings, so you are one click away from a telnet session on your Tivo. I have 4 shortcuts on my desktop, one that opens telnet on each Tivo. I'm sure there are other telnet clients that will do the same. Erics Telnet98 is one of them.

or

Old 10-29-2005, 01:48 PM   #622
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

don't have this issue with cmdline telnet on my mac
BUT I did have echo until Fofer taught me telnet -K
no more echo
Old 10-29-2005, 01:49 PM   #623
rbautch
User

Quote:
Russ,
I'm not sure why, but my author files on both tivos had alot of duplicate entries in them for netserver and crond after installing this latest script.
I ran the uninstall prior to the new install. I used advanced mode. Does a new author file get generated by the script, or does an existing one get appended?
It seems that multiple script installs (as items get upgraded) is going to cause this issue, or is it just my units?
The only way this can happen is if the uninstall script did not restore your backup author file, or your virgin backup author file got overwritten with another backup. Since the main script appends startup commands to your author file, it's expecting a virgin author file. Try un-installing once more, then strip out your author file to virgin state, then run the script again.

or

Old 10-29-2005, 01:55 PM   #624
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

gotcha
I bet my author file has been fubar for a while and I just noticed.
THUMBS WAY UP for joe too btw.
Old 10-29-2005, 02:20 PM   #625
Human123
DTivo TakeitOrLeavo

I am interested in adding the endplus option with the script. I assume that 6.2 Dtivos should use the endpad plus option from my reading. I also read where endpadplus will cancel a suggestion to pad a program. There is a -seq that you could add to change this.
How does it install "out of the box"

Also I notice a few recent reports on the other forum about a few recordings not happening and their speculating on either endpad or guide data. Anyone having problems here with endpadplus installed
Thanks
Human123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 02:27 PM   #626
rbautch
User

The script will detect that your tivo has dual-tuners and will install EndPadPlus. It uses the -seq switch by default. You can add or change EPP options by editing the corresponding line in your author file.

or

Old 10-29-2005, 02:51 PM   #627
Human123
DTivo TakeitOrLeavo

Thanks
And to verify, you run the uninstall script of the version you have installed, correct?
I have 3 Dtivos and they all have different versions of your script. I am going to bring them all up to the lataest.
Great work on this!!!
Old 10-29-2005, 02:54 PM   #628
rbautch
User

Since the uninstall script for ver 2.3 had a bug that could sever your network connection, it's safest to use the newest one that comes with ver 2.5. All uninstall scripts are backwards compatible.

or

Old 10-29-2005, 03:32 PM   #629
Human123
DTivo TakeitOrLeavo

Beware...Possible dumb question ahead

Directions say to ftp 2 files to Tivo and store anywhere. (I put in /hacks) Then run dos2unix tweak*

I want to uninstall old scripts now and need to ftp over the sh tweak-uninstall.sh
I assume I can place it anywhere also and I will put it in /hacks which now only has tweak.sh in it.
I thought I remembered old instructions on running dos2unix on the uninstall script also before running it. Is this still so. I use Filezilla FTP and always transfer in binary.

After running uninstall script (which I have never done obviously) I am assuming that all traces of earlier versions are gone and when I ftp over the new 2 files, there won't be any overwritting of files.
Old 10-29-2005, 03:54 PM   #630
Human123
DTivo TakeitOrLeavo

I Ftp'd the uninstall file over and ran it and here is a paste of the results

bash-2.02# cd hacks
bash-2.02# ls
tweak-uninstall.sh tweak.sh
bash-2.02# dos2unix tweak*
bash-2.02# sh tweak-uninstall.sh
Removing directories and files...
skipping TWP uninstall...
Skipping cron uninstall...
Skipping CallerID uninstall...
Skipping fakecall restore...
Skipping USB 2.0 driver restore...
No bakup profile found, skipping profile restore...
Restoring original rc.sysinit.author file
Restoring original splash screen...
Done!

It was so long ago that I don't remember whether I had TWP installed along with 2.0 drivers or if I had the script install them. I thought I remember reading something about unistalling TWP manually if it was not installed by the script if you wanted it replaced with the latest version.

Now that it skipped uninstalling some of these items I am wondering what I should do when installing an updated script and it asks about these items.

Can I just run the new script and install everything I want and it will update or install these intelligently?
Thanks

Last edited by Human123 : 10-29-2005 at 04:06 PM.