TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Underground
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-22-2005, 11:14 AM   #361
rbautch
User

Yes, please. There's a special message in there for R10 hackers.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

rbautch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2005, 11:49 AM   #362
tsunami

Is this a possiblity in a new script?
Automatically restore your saved channel list each night.
I hate how D* adds all those annoying channels
tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2005, 12:39 PM   #363
rbautch
User

Actually, I have approached SteveT about writing a tcl script based on channelprefs that would do exactly this. It's not as easy as it sounds. Steve is busy these days with the tivoserver project, but promised to look into it when he has some time.

or

Old 09-26-2005, 10:20 AM   #364
Lopey

Has anyone had any side effects to this? I've been running this for a while, and I've just been dealing with it, but it's getting annoying... buttons on the remote aren't always doing what they should be. Sometimes the menu button is acting as the "last" button changing the channel... I've found that I can fix this by going to tivo central and exiting back out. Other problems that I've had... sometimes the rewind button doesn't work right, and will actually reboot my tivo. I also get back door dings when I press number buttons when I try to change the channel. I have two tivo's and it is happening to both.
Lopey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 10:23 AM   #365
jasch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lopey
Has anyone had any side effects to this?
Your side effects sound really strange, mainly because NO part of this script resides in memory (only crond), and it takes very little CPU time.

If your TiVo is sluggish you should do a "top" command from bash, and check which processed are taking the CPU time.

I've experienced some side effects, but I am still trying to see if the problem is with the crond scripts... (my /dev/null file has been corrupted/deleted twice in two different TiVos this past week)
jasch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 11:43 AM   #366
tsunami

No problems with the script with one exception, from time to time, while working with TWP, the TiVO will reboot.

I had a problem with a sluggish remote in the past and it was being caused by another remote in the room being slightly depressed at all times.
With it happening in two rooms that isn't likely but maybe there is a piece of eqpt in both rooms emitting some sort of infrared code.

Just a thought.
Mike
Old 09-26-2005, 12:18 PM   #367
rbautch
User

There are a few things in TWP that consume lots of memory and occasionally cause a reboot. One that comes to mind is the Backup module. I can't restore a season pass backup without causing a reboot unless I increase the memory poolsize that tivoweb sets on startup. I'm planning to adjust the poolsize of tivoweb in the next version of the script.

or

Old 09-26-2005, 12:49 PM   #368
tsunami

Glad to know it is not my TiVO. It is usually when I am restoring the channels but has happened randomly before.
Old 09-26-2005, 01:19 PM   #369
ksv666

In reading about all the updates going on, will these changes be available for a Series 1 box?

Thanks!

-Kirk

P.S. I'm now using TiVoWebPlus. Looks good so far, but I would like ot have the automatic restarts and the like to keep the memory from getting too leaky
Love my TiVo...
ksv666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 02:58 PM   #370
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

ksv,
nope
You woun't be seeing any more software updates on your Series 1.
Old 09-26-2005, 03:45 PM   #371
rbautch
User

The next script will have support for 3.x, 4.x, 6.x, and 7.x Series 2/2.5 software, which is starting to make it a little bloated. I have no immediate plans to open it up to Series 1 boxes, because I don't think there's much demand for it. However, there are some things in the script that might work on a S1 box, including the profile installation, cron, Tivowebplus, and seasonpass backups. You're welcome to try it out, but be prepared to pull the drive if something goes wrong. If I get bored, I may try it myself on my old S1 that's about to go up on Ebay (hacks removed).

or

Old 09-26-2005, 03:48 PM   #372
BTUx9
back?

keeping in mind that the crond binary definitely WON'T work... you need an s1 binary for that
BTUx9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 03:50 PM   #373
rbautch
User

Good point. I think a new tar binary may also be required. Perhaps cpio and gzip may also work, but would require you to manually create the /enhancements directory, and run the start.sh script instead of tweak.sh.

or

Old 09-26-2005, 06:51 PM   #374
rbautch
User

Testers Wanted

I have a new beta version of the script ready to go. One of the new features I added was support for 3.x, 4.x, 6.x, and 7.x software installations, including the installation of USB 2.0 drivers. I've tested it extensively on 6.2, but I'm looking for help testing on other software versions and standalones. PM me if you can help.

or

Old 09-26-2005, 06:52 PM   #375
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

woop woop woop
Old 09-26-2005, 08:33 PM   #376
ttodd1
Proud Computer Geek

Is that a hand I see in the back for a volunteer?
Old 09-26-2005, 08:34 PM   #377
Lopey

Has anyone gotten the beta to work? I get an error: tar: incomplete distance tree
tweak.sh: /enhancments/start.sh: No such file or directory. I appears as though the .tgz file is not decompressing properly.
Old 09-26-2005, 09:24 PM   #378
rbautch
User

Perhaps your tar binary is corrupted. Can you untar other .tgz files? If you can't find another tar, PM me your email address, and I'll send you mine.

or

Old 09-26-2005, 10:51 PM   #379
mgmrick
Haven't broke yet

Rbautch,

Should we run uninstall script first?

Thanks
Rick
HMO,MRV,2.0 USB,CALLERID,Serial Cable,160Gig Hardrive
gunny's unguide,rbautch scripts
mgmrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 10:58 PM   #380
rbautch
User

Yes!

or

Old 09-26-2005, 11:07 PM   #381
Dirac

Just installed on a fresh 4.0.1b-6.2 slice upgrade, everything looking good so far!

Small issue. The first part of the script that attempts to remove tivoapp.original happens before the root is remounted r/w. Easy fix, hopefully... just moving the mount command. I just opened another telnet session and deleted it manually. By the time I did that, the mount r/w command in the script had already executed anyway.

Nice new startup screen! Looks kind of like a cratered egg on my 4x3 display.

Also, I understand the need to control feature bloat (hello M$!!) but it might be nice to prompt for a l/p to jam into tivoweb.cfg if the user wants it.

The install asks you if you want to schedule cron to backup your SPs whether or not you decided to install cron. Not sure how easy (or desirable) it would be to avoid this second question if cron install is skipped. Very small issue--I just answer no when I don't install cron.

Finally, have you looked into the safereboot.tcl script for "smart" rebooting (only rebooting when there is no recording or just suggestions recording)? I've played with the script a little but still cannot get it to work reliably (it won't reboot during suggestions).

You've outdone yourself again, great work!

2x HR20-700
2x SIR-S4040R, stock (for sale)
HR10-250, v. 6.4a stock
Dirac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 11:21 PM   #382
Lopey

I put in the tar that you sent me, I know get a bus error when I try to do things.. dos2unix, sh..
Old 09-26-2005, 11:23 PM   #383
Lopey

bash-2.02# sh tweak.sh
Running rbautch Hacked Tivo Enhancements...
tweak.sh: line 44: 316 Bus error tar -zxvf /enhancements/rbautch
-files.tgz >/dev/null
tweak.sh: /enhancements/start.sh: No such file or directory

bash-2.02# vi /etc/r.cd/rc.sysinit.author
Bus error

bash-2.02# dos2unix rbautch-files.tgz
Bus error

My error message.

Last edited by Lopey : 09-26-2005 at 11:31 PM.
Old 09-26-2005, 11:30 PM   #384
rbautch
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lopey
bash-2.02# sh tweak.sh
Running rbautch Hacked Tivo Enhancements...
tweak.sh: line 44: 316 Bus error tar -zxvf /enhancements/rbautch
-files.tgz >/dev/null
tweak.sh: /enhancements/start.sh: No such file or directory

My error message.
Shame, shame. You didn't FTP it in binary mode.

or

Old 09-26-2005, 11:34 PM   #385
Lopey

that would stop all the commands from working?
Old 09-26-2005, 11:39 PM   #386
rbautch
User

Yes.

or

Old 09-26-2005, 11:42 PM   #387
Lopey

damn, that did the trick.. I will learn this stuff. I thought the dos2unix fixed that issue.
Old 09-26-2005, 11:54 PM   #388
rbautch
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirac
Just installed on a fresh 4.0.1b-6.2 slice upgrade, everything looking good so far!
All very good suggestions.

Quote:
Also, I understand the need to control feature bloat (hello M$!!) but it might be nice to prompt for a l/p to jam into tivoweb.cfg if the user wants it.
Could you clarify this?

Quote:
The install asks you if you want to schedule cron to backup your SPs whether or not you decided to install cron. Not sure how easy (or desirable) it would be to avoid this second question if cron install is skipped. Very small issue--I just answer no when I don't install cron.
Actually, before the backup task is scheduled, it checks to see if TWP is present and also checks to see if a crontab is present. If no crontab is found it says "Cron installation is needed for this feature and was not found. Skipping automatic seasonpass backups..." I wanted to do it this way instead of avoiding the question altogether so someone could see what they're missing out on if they don't install cron. Try it!

Quote:
Finally, have you looked into the safereboot.tcl script for "smart" rebooting (only rebooting when there is no recording or just suggestions recording)? I've played with the script a little but still cannot get it to work reliably (it won't reboot during suggestions).
The safereboot.tcl script has already been incorporated. It's part of what happens when the script asks you: "Do you want weekly reboots to only occur if no programs are recording?" I don't think the safereboot script distinguishes between scheduled recordings and suggestions.

I'll incorporate changes this week. Thanks for testing!

or

Old 09-27-2005, 02:22 AM   #389
Dirac

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbautch
Could you clarify this?
Sorry, I meant that when you install tivowebplus, the default is to have no login or password to connect to the server. Since this is truly a "hands-off" installation, it could be nice to offer to prompt for a login/password and drop them into the tivoweb.cfg, but I do not know if this is possible. At worst, maybe you could have a "standard" login/password option (stored in a tivoweb.cfg.login and copied over on install) so it's not completely wide open (to anyone who doesn't read TCF!). Would hate to have someone learn the hard way that they have a wide-open web server, but then maybe that would be a good lesson. (Granted, they would need to have port forwarding activated on their router, and if they take the time to do that, maybe they are already thinking about password protecting their TiVo. I wouldn't want anyone to have free reign to mine, especially with hackman installed.) Just sort of a nice-to-have suggestion because your script is really well-refined.

I should have taken a closer look at your changes before I made the safereboot comment; nonetheless I have been trying to see how exactly it works. There appears to be a "state variable" for what the TiVo is recording (if anything) and there should be a way to group them into reboot states and non-reboot states. So TiVo could be set to reboot on suggestion or no recording (or wishlist or...), else it doesn't reboot (and cron can be set up to try again in an hour). I don't know tcl very well and maybe the safereboot was the wrong project to try to learn from.

EDIT: clarity (or another attempt at it)

2x HR20-700
2x SIR-S4040R, stock (for sale)
HR10-250, v. 6.4a stock

Last edited by Dirac : 09-27-2005 at 02:28 AM.
Dirac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 09:21 AM   #390
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

Russ,
I am impressed!
Very polished script there buddy!
Edit...
It seems to have killed my microsoft wireless B adapter
Oh well I've been wanting to do the wireless G bridge usb ethernet combo anyhow.

Last edited by Gunnyman : 09-27-2005 at 12:30 PM.
Gunnyman is offline   Reply With Quote