TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Underground
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-02-2005, 11:17 PM   #271
bnm81002

that's great information guys but where should the "hacks" be stored at then, no one really answered this, thanks
Pioneer DVR810H-not in use
bnm81002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 11:22 PM   #272
BTUx9
back?

1) in /var -- could be wiped out, can't get too full
2) in / -- might cause corruption, not as easy to xfer when upgrading
3) in another partition -- very easy to xfer after upgrade but you need to steal space from somewhere to create the partition (usually a very large swap), won't be backed up with mfstools

3 places, advantages and disadvantages to each... it's a decision you have to make for yourself
BTUx9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 11:25 PM   #273
bnm81002

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTUx9
1) in /var -- could be wiped out, can't get too full
2) in / -- might cause corruption, not as easy to xfer when upgrading
3) in another partition -- very easy to xfer after upgrade but you need to steal space from somewhere to create the partition (usually a very large swap), won't be backed up with mfstools

3 places, advantages and disadvantages to each... it's a decision you have to make for yourself

hmmm, sounds to me that a new thread with a "poll" about this should be started
Old 09-03-2005, 01:55 AM   #274
Human123
DTivo TakeitOrLeavo

My opinion is this is a balancing act also. What might be a nice future add-on to Rbautchs script, would be a auto backup of the important parts of /var much as he does the log archive.
Human123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 02:01 AM   #275
BTUx9
back?

problem is space... if you put it in var, you may trigger a cleanup on next boot
Old 09-03-2005, 02:05 AM   #276
Human123
DTivo TakeitOrLeavo

Aren't there hacks that need the R/W...Hackman for instance.
Maybe hacks that need R/W on /var and the rest is folders on the root???
Human123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 04:57 PM   #277
fredfillis
Linuxly Challenged

Based on my own experience and reading on the other forum I tried to tar the var and then transfer to the PC for safekeeping. Appeared to create a corrupt file. So then I did this number.

Code:
cd /var
tar czf var_hack.tar.gz hack
tar czf var_mfs_ftp.tar.gz mfs_ftp
Then FTP'd both to my PC and then deleted them from /var

AFAIK, there is nothing else in var that I need to be worried about (or is there???). tnlited is in /sbin and tivoftpd is in /busybox. So if I lose my /var I should still have ftp and telnet and I can just untar the two files and be good to go (fingers crossed).

Code:
cd /var
tar zxvf var_hack.tar.gz
tar zxvf var_mfs_ftp.tar.gz

Old 09-07-2005, 12:22 AM   #278
mgmrick
Haven't broke yet

I keep losing Rbautch's script on 1 of 4 tivos. The 1 tivo is showing Tivowebplus project -v1.1-pre2 while my other tivos show Tivowebplus project -v1.2.1. . When I reboot the messed up tivo the new splash screen is there but the old version of tivowebplus. The tweak files (tweak.sh and the uninstall file) are no longer on the hard drive. This hard drive was built using instant cake and then call in to upgrade to 6.2. If that has any thing to do with it. I have looked all over that hard drive and can not find the tweak.sh file.

Thanks
Rick

Last edited by mgmrick : 09-07-2005 at 12:33 AM.
mgmrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 12:36 AM   #279
BTUx9
back?

sounds like you have another version of TWP installed that's getting run before the version from rbautch's script.
There's a good chance it's a tpm, so look in dir /etc/tpm for an uninstall script and run it if it's there.
Old 09-07-2005, 01:03 AM   #280
mgmrick
Haven't broke yet

I can not find dir /etc/tpm. I did find dir /etc and dir /tpm and no uninstall in either dir. Tivo just rebooted and all is right again, for now.

The right version of tivowebplus is running and the fake call is running right. I was also getting error on fake call (no dial tone).

Any other places to look for another version?

Thanks
Rick
Old 09-07-2005, 01:08 AM   #281
BTUx9
back?

check everything that's in your author file.
You may want to check "ps aux" to see if another copy is running (ones running from different directories)
Old 09-07-2005, 01:20 AM   #282
mgmrick
Haven't broke yet

Checked my author file looks right. Is there a command to find a file in linux? Be easier than searching thru all them dirs

Thanks
Rick
Old 09-07-2005, 04:07 AM   #283
john1980

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmrick
Is there a command to find a file in linux? Be easier than searching thru all them dirs.
This is typically done with the 'locate' command, but the TiVo does not have this so you will have to make do with 'find', assuming that you have one installed (I have attached one if you are missing it).

Then just use: find / -name searchstring\* , this will search the complete system for all files starting with "searchstring".
Attached Files
File Type: zip find.zip (27.9 KB, 18 views)
john1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 04:58 AM   #284
Hurricane350

rbautch, Thank you. I have thanked you on other threads but not the main thread.(Go figure) Anyways, your script worked flawlessly and the only thing I noticed was that it mentions an update of the profile to include a command "root" which would bring you to the the vi editor of this file except it does not work for me. Well, I went into "root" and edited it so doesnt reboot weekly. I am usually up at 3am and I would rather just reboot it manually. Maybe it could be an option for us 2nd shift workers?
Hurricane350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 08:21 AM   #285
rbautch
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by john1980
This is typically done with the 'locate' command, but the TiVo does not have this so you will have to make do with 'find', assuming that you have one installed (I have attached one if you are missing it).

Then just use: find / -name searchstring\* , this will search the complete system for all files starting with "searchstring".
Thanks John. There's also an alias in the .profile that comes with the script that allows you to just type "find filename".

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

rbautch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 08:23 AM   #286
rbautch
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane350
rbautch, Thank you. I have thanked you on other threads but not the main thread.(Go figure) Anyways, your script worked flawlessly and the only thing I noticed was that it mentions an update of the profile to include a command "root" which would bring you to the the vi editor of this file except it does not work for me. Well, I went into "root" and edited it so doesnt reboot weekly. I am usually up at 3am and I would rather just reboot it manually. Maybe it could be an option for us 2nd shift workers?
I messed up the alias for "root", and used the wrong path. I'll fix it next time around. In the meantime, you can edit the .profile yourself to use the correct path, which is /etc/spool/cron/crontabs/root.

or

Old 09-07-2005, 12:06 PM   #287
tsunami

I have three files in my root directory, fairly big, 400K.
One is called LOG_ARCHIVE.0905_07_16.tgz. I assume that is a log from Sept 5th. What is it, and are they safe to delete?
Mike
tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 01:01 PM   #288
rbautch
User

That's a backup of your logs for the week. Cron deletes those backups every few months but feel free to delete them manually. You can also edit your crontab to not make those backups at all. Maybe I'll make that optional on future versions. The first backup is always the largest, because it's archiving several weeks worth of logs. After that, the archives are only one weeks worth, which is about 100-200kb.

or

Last edited by rbautch : 09-07-2005 at 01:35 PM.
Old 09-07-2005, 02:10 PM   #289
salvatore

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbautch
I messed up the alias for "root", and used the wrong path. I'll fix it next time around. In the meantime, you can edit the .profile yourself to use the correct path, which is /etc/spool/cron/crontabs/root.
Actually, its /var/spool/cron/crontabs/root, not /etc.
psn radio - http://www.palmisanonet.com:9875
salvatore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 06:22 PM   #290
rbautch
User

See....messed it up again!

or

Old 09-08-2005, 11:29 PM   #291
skaeight

Is the weekly reboot smart enough to not restart during a recording?
skaeight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 08:32 AM   #292
rbautch
User

Not that smart. But it does reboot at 3am, when I'm usually not recording.

or

Old 09-09-2005, 09:24 AM   #293
vertigo235

Why don't you add safereboot.tcl to the package.

I changed mine to safe reboot.

vertigo235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 10:13 AM   #294
rbautch
User

Great idea. Never heard of it before.

or

Old 09-11-2005, 12:07 PM   #295
Dirac

Great work, rbautch and gunnyman. I have installed most of these hacks separately before, but I still learned a lot by going through this script, and it ends up in a cleaner, more predictable install than me finally getting around to setting things up one thing at a time.

Originally I had set up ro and rw as executable scripts instead of aliases, so I learned how to do that properly now. Now trying to figure out how to incorporate a safereboot (as soon as my TiVo stops recording)!

2x HR20-700
2x SIR-S4040R, stock (for sale)
HR10-250, v. 6.4a stock
Dirac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 07:31 PM   #296
Dirac

Ok, wait a minute. Is there any reason TWP would start on one of my TiVos, and not on the other? On the one that doesn't start at startup, I can still start it by executing /enhancements/TWPrun.sh (just like my author file should be doing). The only difference between the two TiVos that I know of, is the one that works is on a wired network, and the one that doesn't is wireless. This should not be a factor as I can still ftp and telnet to the one that doesn't work.

For a while, I also had crontabs being ignored on one TiVo (the one that TWP worked on). That seems to be fixed after manually entering user definitions (twice) and restarting (twice). Argh! I guess I'll try TiVo #3 and see if I have the same problems... maybe I can start ruling things out.

2x HR20-700
HR10-250, v. 6.4a stock
Old 09-11-2005, 07:35 PM   #297
BTUx9
back?

One issue that could be involved: if the network isn't up when telnet or ftp are run, they are ok.
If the network isn't up when TWP loads, it throws an error and aborts.
Old 09-11-2005, 07:48 PM   #298
Dirac

Well, this would do it, because every time I restart, I have to unplug and replug the USB wireless adapter (Linksys WUSB11 v. 2.6) or the network won't start. This happened in 4.0.1 as well, I believe. Is this a known issue?

2x HR20-700
HR10-250, v. 6.4a stock
Old 09-11-2005, 10:38 PM   #299
bnm81002

rbautch,
any update yet on the "NEW PTVnet CD" with your scripts added into that CD? PTVupgrade mentioned something but never gave any new updates yet? thanks
Old 09-12-2005, 09:54 AM   #300
rbautch
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnm81002
rbautch,
any update yet on the "NEW PTVnet CD" with your scripts added into that CD? PTVupgrade mentioned something but never gave any new updates yet? thanks
Lou was kind enough to send me all his scripts to see if I can make any adjustments to my scripts so they can peacefully coexist. There will not be a new PTVnet CD with my scripts added. At least not for now.

or