Iíve hit quite a number of very annoying and obvious bugs in the current software version (5) on the new Humax
box. I bought this box to replace my 80 hour series 2
that I gave to my father (so I could justify to my spouse why I needed a new Tivo and DVD recorderÖit didnít work and Iím in the doghouse).
The most obvious problems have been that the rewind, fast forward, and short rewind features do not act like they did on my previous box. They are jerky and do not perform as expected.
Iíve also noticed a lot of lag from the time I hit a button and when the box responds. Considerably more than on my 80 hour box. The lag is so bad at times Iíve thought the Humax was frozen. Did they downgrade the processor to a 16 mghz chip popular in the 90ís?
Here are some specific examples of problems Iíve experienced. Iíll post more when they happen. I can get very specific if required, particularly if it means finding a solution and helping Tivo/Humax make a better product.
- I'm watching a show as it is being recorded. After it finished being recorded another show on the same channel started being recorded. As I watch the first show (around the 15 minute mark in the program), the next time I hit the fast forward (in this case I hit it twice for double speed), Tivo jumps to Live TV (to the program being recorded) and pauses at the start of that program. It had recorded about five minutes of the new show.
- Had it on pause for quite awhile (recorded program). When I hit the short rewind button (the one under the rewind button with the circle and arrow on it), Tivo jumped all the way back to the start of the program.
- Hitting rewind, then hitting play when you are where you want to be, playback starts a good full minute back in the program from where you selected the playback to begin.
- Once I had it on pause on a recorded program, and when I hit play it jumped to the end of the program then to live TV.
So far, I have mixed feelings about the Humax box. I love having the DVD recorder option. I really love Tivo and everything about Tivo, but the frustration with this unit is starting to sour my love affair with my Tivo. I know it will come around and eventually be fixed, I have a lot of faith in my Tivo people to recognize a problem and get it fixed. I suppose that's why Iím a bit perplexed by this buggy system.
I wouldnít have thought Tivo would release a sub standard program, so it disappointed me.
- Has anyone else experienced these problems with their Humax recorders?
- Could it just be a bad unit?
software version 5.4.1-01-2-5955
DVD Firmware DVD-RW-DVR-108RZ rev 1.15