TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Forum Extras > DVD TiVo Units (Archive)
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-22-2010, 11:59 AM   #1951
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

This issue is actually a little bit complicated, because it really has to do more with how you use your TiVo, than anything else.

Firstly, putting in a 'faster' hard drive (e.g. 7200 RPM) or one with a larger cache, will definitely not make a difference, because the bottlenecks in your units' performance lie elsewhere.

The issue has to do with memory in the TiVo unit, and the requirements to use it up when dealing with a growing database. It gets further complicated by the speed of feeding the memory (when more is required and the unit needs to 'swap') and also by cpu speed to a lesser degree.

One way to bring ANY TiVo to its knees is to schedule a LARGE number of season passes on it; that will create MANY dependencies to be cycled through whenever a new season pass is created, or even worse, a season pass is re-prioritized -- the minute you start doing that, the system begins checking, and re-ordering dependencies.

Another way to bring ANY TiVo to its knees is to have a HUGE Now Playing list. I once saw a customer unit (and SVR-2000) where the guy was manually recording commercials. He had about 1000 3-minute recordings on his unit and bringing up the Now Playing list took a VERY long time.

Now... keeping in mind that the design center for many of these older Series2 units was 40-80GB drives... imagine what happens when you put a 320GB drive in one? You are automatically going to end up with Now Playing lists that are much longer than intended, even with what TiVo would consider "normal" use.

This is why units with fresh new drives will initially run very fast (after guided setup is completed and the data is fully populated into the database) but will slow down over time.

Beyond that, there is another thing you can check if you are having sluggish performance. It is rare, but sometimes it is a bad IDE cable. If your unit has an older ATA/33 IDE cable, you'd be best to replace it with an ATA/66 cable. The reason for this is that the older ATA/33 cables only have one line used as a 'ground' for all the other data lines. Sometimes, interference caused by a 'noisy' power supply' can corrupt the data and slow a unit down as it tries to 'correct' bad data (which it can do as long as too much information is not lost). Using an ATA/66 cable gives each data line its own separate ground, and as a result, you will typically get cleaner data in 'noisier' environments. Newer computers use cables like this because the data needs to move much faster and in order to maintain performance, the signal must be relatively clean...

Probably more info than you needed or wanted to know, but hope it is useful.

Lou

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

tivoupgrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 12:36 PM   #1952
mrfixit454

Lou, outstanding summary of what is going on. Thanks for the details

Ramon
Humax DRT-800 - Lifetime
Tivo Premiere+ - Lifetime
mrfixit454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 03:15 PM   #1953
Birdman26

Agreed,
Thanks for taking the time to explain what really is going on. Excellent post, very helpfull.
In hindsight, that is exactly what I experienced as my Season past list grew.
Birdman26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 12:08 AM   #1954
sledhed

Lou,
Thanks also for the information. But... there is also some truth in the TiVo software "bloat" issue. When I got the new 320GB drive (db35 but with more cache and 7200 rpm), with a fresh clean install on it, it was still quite a bit slower than it was when we first got it. Even after it got all the guide data and finished updating or indexing it or whatever the terminology is. Noticeable lag bringing up the guide, paging up and down, this with no or few recordings on it and no season passes set up yet. We have never had that many season passes. And it was slow for quite a while (years) before it failed, with the 120GB drive not full. I remember the big stink (it is probably in this thread somewhere) when a certain update came out and EVERYONE was complaining what it did to the speed of these units... they subsequently improved it some but then the slow slide downhill as TiVo added more features to the S2 operating systems.

I can live with it. Sometimes I want to throw the remote through the TV but then I remind myself how annoying TV is without TiVo and calm down. It still is a big time saver - watch when we want to watch, fast-forward through stupid parts or commercials (or through those parts of the olympics you don't care for)... plus the 30-second skip trick... but the newer S2 dual-tuner in the other room (last generation S2DT) responds fairly quickly so it reminds you of how the TX20 used to be.
sledhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 12:31 AM   #1955
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sledhed View Post
Lou,
Thanks also for the information. But... there is also some truth in the TiVo software "bloat" issue. When I got the new 320GB drive (db35 but with more cache and 7200 rpm), with a fresh clean install on it, it was still quite a bit slower than it was when we first got it. Even after it got all the guide data and finished updating or indexing it or whatever the terminology is. Noticeable lag bringing up the guide, paging up and down, this with no or few recordings on it and no season passes set up yet. We have never had that many season passes. And it was slow for quite a while (years) before it failed, with the 120GB drive not full. I remember the big stink (it is probably in this thread somewhere) when a certain update came out and EVERYONE was complaining what it did to the speed of these units... they subsequently improved it some but then the slow slide downhill as TiVo added more features to the S2 operating systems.

I can live with it. Sometimes I want to throw the remote through the TV but then I remind myself how annoying TV is without TiVo and calm down. It still is a big time saver - watch when we want to watch, fast-forward through stupid parts or commercials (or through those parts of the olympics you don't care for)... plus the 30-second skip trick... but the newer S2 dual-tuner in the other room (last generation S2DT) responds fairly quickly so it reminds you of how the TX20 used to be.
I can't say that I ever noticed, but I certainly believe you. It sounds like there may have been more than one issue at hand (especially with the unit you have that failed) but there are so many variables, it would probably be impossible to tell, for sure. Given that these TX units are certainly older hardware by today's standards, I'd have to agree that adding new features is unlikely to improve performance and that there is probably not much more that can be done for tuning purposes...

Cheers,
Lou

tivoupgrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 10:19 PM   #1956
mwizard@gmail.co

Quote:
Originally Posted by sledhed View Post
This is why using a rewriteable helps once you find a problem - no additional coasters, you can always reuse the rewriteable dvd. Looking at the back does not seem to be a 100% predictable way of figuring out which program won't burn though. We tried to correlate the burn pattern with the program.

If all else fails, and you MUST have that program on dvd, use tivo desktop to transfer to PC, then change the format to mpeg (using videoredo or a free conversion program that I use I forget the name just now), and make a simplistic DVD using a dvd authoring program...
I have found that there is probably a signal in some shows. It is not always consistent. I've recorded a 2nd copy of a show, and found that it fails in the same place when saving it to dvd as well. The failures happen on assorted RW and R media. I had always wondered about what was really happening. I purchased a new VCR/DVD(R/RW) combo unit in the last year. I had many old (really old) VCR tapes (shows recorded over the cable TV system) I was coverting to DVD. And what do you know, on a handful of them died part of the way through the recording. Some during the show, and some during commercials. I found that if I fast forward a couple of minutes or so, I could pick up recording them to DVD again. So I'm of the opinion that on some occassions, for reasons I cannot fully fathom, there is a short temporary signal sent that interrupts DVD recording indicating that 'this cannot be recorded to DVD media'. If it were a long signal, I doubt that I would be able to fast forward a couple of minutes and pick up the rest of the recording. While this works for my old VCR tapes, I have not yet found a way around this for my TiVo recordings. I have ideas, but not enough time and money to try them out.

I suppose there could also be some other intermittent problems too, with bad DVD (R/RW) disks, or even a burner that is going bad. I believe I have had a few of the former, but my current/orginal burner is still going strong (knock on wood).

my 2cents.
mwizard@gmail.co is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 11:02 PM   #1957
Kasmiur

New Owner here... hoping replacement HD gets it working. Looking forward to this wonderful device.
Kasmiur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 03:26 PM   #1958
Nikolkis

I have Toshiba RS-TX20! I am with you! I bought this unit in October 2005 and don’t want to leave it! TiVo works fine, I am able to record and view programs, but not able to burn DVD’s . It is only one problem of this gadget. But it not upset me, I am pleased.

Nikolkis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 11:49 PM   #1959
tahoejoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikolkis View Post
I have Toshiba RS-TX20! I am with you! I bought this unit in October 2005 and don’t want to leave it! TiVo works fine, I am able to record and view programs, but not able to burn DVD’s . It is only one problem of this gadget. But it not upset me, I am pleased.
The DVD drive can be replaced - see http://tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/sho...d.php?t=384723
tahoejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 08:08 AM   #1960
Birdman26

Anybody have experience using a new Sata drive with an adapter on this unit?
Old 04-09-2010, 12:32 PM   #1961
robomeister
DVD TiVo Expert

Birdman26,
I've been testing out some sata adapters in several different Series2 TiVos. I haven't had success yet, but there shouldn't be any reason why it shouldn't work. I think I just have incompatible adapters (trying to go cheap on eBay). When I get it to work, I'll post my success story here.

Robomeister
1+ Pioneer DVR-57H
1+ Toshiba RS-TX20
1+ Humax DRT400
1 Humax DRT800
Most with Lifetime and upgraded drives
All Series 2s with Linksys USB200M
robomeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 09:31 PM   #1962
Birdman26

Robomeister,
Working with a Zaffa adapter. Has tivo info on the label and is claimed to be the adapter sent by most upgrade sites when they ship a larger Sata replacemnt drive. I'll try loading it without the adapter and see if that will work. Waiting on a new sata cable.
Cheers
Old 09-30-2010, 05:56 PM   #1963
johnnycashish

OK, so I am FINALLY in the market for an LCD HDTV. I realize there are HD TiVo units out there so I assume that means that by using my trusty RS-TX20 I will be losing a lot of picture quality (lo-def?). But it will still work, right? Also, I assume that the shows I record will have less quality than if I watched them live on HD but will my day-to-day viewing be hampered? I always watch TV a good 30 minutes after a show starts so I can FF through commercials. Well, does this mean that ALL of the TV I watch will not be in HD quality (even though I watch HD channels and subscribe to HD service through Comcast)? Any words of wisdom you can provide are appreciated!!

JC
johnnycashish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 06:05 PM   #1964
sledhed

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnycashish View Post
OK, so I am FINALLY in the market for an LCD HDTV. I realize there are HD TiVo units out there so I assume that means that by using my trusty RS-TX20 I will be losing a lot of picture quality (lo-def?). But it will still work, right? Also, I assume that the shows I record will have less quality than if I watched them live on HD but will my day-to-day viewing be hampered? I always watch TV a good 30 minutes after a show starts so I can FF through commercials. Well, does this mean that ALL of the TV I watch will not be in HD quality (even though I watch HD channels and subscribe to HD service through Comcast)? Any words of wisdom you can provide are appreciated!!

JC
Nothing coming out of the tx20 will be any higher def than 480p, so unless you upgrade the tivo or bypass it (and lose the benefit of jumping past commercials), that is what you are stuck with.

I am interested in what LCD TVs work best with standard def myself. We are still 100% standard def at my house because my only option is dish or directv and only the SD stuff works with the Toshiba as far as I know (or care), but would like to replace the old CRT TV eventually.
Old 09-30-2010, 07:41 PM   #1965
shwru980r

The size of the screen makes a big difference. Also some HDTVs do a poor job of displaying HD content. They used to rate HD TVs for how well they display SD content, but I'm not sure if they do that anymore. You might need to take your Tivo to the store and test it out on the TVs you're interested in.

Premiere-$99 Lifetime-OTA
HD-Lifetime-OTA
S3 OLED-Lifetime-OTA
shwru980r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 08:34 PM   #1966
sledhed

Quote:
Originally Posted by shwru980r View Post
The size of the screen makes a big difference. Also some HDTVs do a poor job of displaying HD content. They used to rate HD TVs for how well they display SD content, but I'm not sure if they do that anymore. You might need to take your Tivo to the store and test it out on the TVs you're interested in.
I think you meant "Also some HDTVs do a poor job of displaying SD content."

Although what you said might be true too. *L*
Old 10-04-2010, 09:24 AM   #1967
macgyver58

My Toshiba series 2 has finally hit a wall. It will no longer boot up. Gets stuck on "just a few more minutes" I am thinking i need to replace the hard drive whcih is probably worht it since i have a lifetime contract. Any comments?
macgyver58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 04:48 PM   #1968
sledhed

Quote:
Originally Posted by macgyver58 View Post
My Toshiba series 2 has finally hit a wall. It will no longer boot up. Gets stuck on "just a few more minutes" I am thinking i need to replace the hard drive whcih is probably worht it since i have a lifetime contract. Any comments?
If you want to keep using it, yes, get an upgrade drive. I got one from a "reputable seller" on eBay, even though I could have installed it myself I did not have the time and I was missing too much TV so I bought one, plugged it in, went through setup again, and enjoyed my expanded 320GB drive...

If you do not want to keep it, sell it with the lifetime included it is still worth a bit (such as to me) ;-)
Old 10-07-2010, 03:54 PM   #1969
judge73

Anyone have a problem burning saved programs to DVDs on their RS-TX20? Mine keeps giving me error messages halfway through the save process.
judge73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 04:02 PM   #1970
sledhed

Quote:
Originally Posted by judge73 View Post
Anyone have a problem burning saved programs to DVDs on their RS-TX20? Mine keeps giving me error messages halfway through the save process.
There is tons of information on this problem in this thread. Search is your friend.

Had that problem myself, only on certain programs but it was a repeatable issue with those programs. Used TivoToGo and transferred to pc, changed to a standard mpeg format, and burned it there...

Some people reported problems with specific dvd brands, some have had dvd burners fail, some had hard drive failures imminent, could be a lot of things. I switched to DVD-RW for a while to save on coasters, since they are reuseable.

Good luck, and happy searching.
Old 10-10-2010, 01:06 PM   #1971
Chip718

I hope someone can really help me out. I am have a "hardware issue error #51" when I try to view recorded shows. The message told me to restart the DMS and if that didnt work to contact Toshiba. I tried restarting and it didnt work. I called Toshiba and they told me to unplug it for an hour, and if that dodnt workI should try reformating the HDD.

Is it possible to remone the HDD and extract some shows off of it? I have some recording from my video camera on i that I would hate to lose.

Thanks for any help
Chip718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 08:40 PM   #1972
lafos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip718 View Post
I hope someone can really help me out. I am have a "hardware issue error #51" when I try to view recorded shows. The message told me to restart the DMS and if that didnt work to contact Toshiba. I tried restarting and it didnt work. I called Toshiba and they told me to unplug it for an hour, and if that dodnt workI should try reformating the HDD.

Is it possible to remone the HDD and extract some shows off of it? I have some recording from my video camera on i that I would hate to lose.

Thanks for any help
No, you can't extract any shows. If you have another drive of the same size or larger, you can try a utility called dd_rescue (I think) to try to make a copy of the drive as a way to salvage your shows. Search the upgrade forum for info on options and source of the utility.
lafos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 04:51 PM   #1973
pixel123

Searching for Toshiba_RS-TX20 image or backup file

I've been desperately searching for a way to recover my Toshiba_RS-TX20 Tivo. It currently stays stuck on the welcome screen. I was wondering if anyone has an image or back up file they would be willing to share.

Thank you in advance.
pixel123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 03:41 PM   #1974
robomeister
DVD TiVo Expert

PM sent.
1+ Pioneer DVR-57H
1+ Toshiba RS-TX20
1+ Humax DRT400
1 Humax DRT800
Most with Lifetime and upgraded drives
All Series 2s with Linksys USB200M
robomeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 01:49 PM   #1975
pixel123

Thanks Robomeister. I can't seem to send or reply to any PM until I make my 5 posts.
pixel123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 11:42 PM   #1976
ssr300

We have an RS-TX20 with a Maxtor drive that has completely crashed. I would do the MFS copy thing, but there is nothing left to copy from. Does anyone know where I can find an image for it?
ssr300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 09:17 PM   #1977
matthewak89

RS TX 20 Image

Does anyone know where I could find an image for this model. I corrupted my hard drive.

Thank you :-)
matthewak89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 07:45 AM   #1978
unclepoo

Red face Streaming to RS TX60 from a computer

Sorry I wanted to post this as a new post within the "Official Toshiba RS-TX Owners club, but I'm not sure how to do anything but reply.

I have an RS TX60 with Lifetime Basic
Yes it is nice to have the save to DVD option. and I recently upgraded the hard drive as it was failing.

More important to me is No Monthly FEES

That said, I seen through the menu something about Downloading things from Amazon etc..
I'd like to do that, it says I have to hook up my computer to a network.
Well My Tivo is hooked up wirelessly through my Dlink DI-624 router. to the Internet
but not specifically hooked up to my computer.

Is there a way to stream movies, pictures music, etc... from a computer to an RS TX unit?

is there a way to do this without subscribing to plus with a monthly fee?
I have recently downloaded Tivo Desktop, but can't seem to figure out how to connect it on the tivo end.
And I can't find anything on an media access key in my tivo menu.

Please respond if you have successfully streamed from a computer to an RS unit.
Thanks in advance
unclepoo
unclepoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 12:17 AM   #1979
mrfixit454

I am pretty sure you can't do any of those things with basic. I think the amazons movies are downloads, not streaming, but there are no features with basic.. no USB, no Season pass,only 3 day guide, which some of these you probalby already know.

I don't think you can stream with a TX. That said, Tivo just sent me an offer for my unit since I am a "loyal customer". $299 for lifetime on my TX120 which was not available for lifetime 5 or so years ago when I bought it and not until recently. I bit and did it. Going to network it as soon and my Ethernet adapter comes in.
Humax DRT-800 - Lifetime
Tivo Premiere+ - Lifetime
mrfixit454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 05:52 PM   #1980
shwru980r

I think it's risky to pay $299 for lifetime service on a 5 year old Tivo. You could have easily bought a used stand alone S2 with lifetime service for $150 or less.

Premiere-$99 Lifetime-OTA
HD-Lifetime-OTA
S3 OLED-Lifetime-OTA
shwru980r is offline   Reply With Quote