TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Forum Extras > DVD TiVo Units (Archive)
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-15-2006, 03:00 PM   #1381
azitnay

It's not quite as simple as dragging from one drive to the other, but depending on how dead your current drive is, it might very well be possible to save most if not all your shows by copying them to a new drive. See the TiVo Upgrade Center forum for details.

Drew
azitnay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 03:36 PM   #1382
kcir
TiVo addicted

I have an RS-TX60 with what appears to be a failing disk. This thread so far seems to be a basic q/a , but I figured I'd ask here. I am going to buy a new disk and hope to use mfstools to transfer my image and data to the new disk. I have read some things that suggest copying data from a failing disk may not work. If this is the case I'll need a fresh image to install on my new disk. Does anyone know where I can get an OS image for my TiVo RS-TX60 that I can use? I see no reason that this isn't legal to give out or download since I do own the unit and pay for the service. Any help is appreciated.
kcir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 03:48 PM   #1383
azitnay

Definitely try grabbing an image from the original drive first... But in lieu of that, buying InstantCake for $20 is often the easiest solution:

http://www.dvrupgrade.com/dvr/stores/1/instantcake.cfm

Drew
Old 12-16-2006, 04:19 PM   #1384
kcir
TiVo addicted

Thanks. I was hoping to get just an image that I wouldn't have to pay for. I doon't need any fanzy tools. I realize the cost is for the putting together of the CD and easy to use software, but I just want the image file and nothing more.
Old 12-16-2006, 10:35 PM   #1385
kcir
TiVo addicted

Once my TiVo is back up and running I'd like to install more hacks such as TiVo Web+ My question now though is how can I enable telnet and ftp on my RS-TX60 so I can install the hacks?
Old 12-17-2006, 11:07 AM   #1386
azitnay

RS-TX units, like all other units made relatively recently, are much more locked down with respect to hacking. The only way to achieve these hacks on such a unit is to apply a hardware PROM hack, which is no simple task. There isn't much discussion here on TCF on the subject, but a search for "tivo prom hack" should turn up a place where there is.

Drew
Old 12-17-2006, 11:11 AM   #1387
azitnay

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcir
Thanks. I was hoping to get just an image that I wouldn't have to pay for. I doon't need any fanzy tools. I realize the cost is for the putting together of the CD and easy to use software, but I just want the image file and nothing more.
I don't blame you for wanting to find a free image... It's often easier said than done, though. The following thread discusses the subject:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...0&page=1&pp=20

I don't know how active Stan has been lately, but I know at least at one point he had an RS-TX20 image, which is compatible with your RS-TX60.

We're probably getting ahead of ourselves, though... Assuming your RS-TX60 still boots, you'll probably have a good shot at pulling an image from its current drive.

Drew
Old 12-17-2006, 11:44 PM   #1388
dbl_corona

RS-TX20 Hard Drive

It sounds as if quite a few of us are having HDD failures at about the same time. About 2 years after purchase?

How difficult is it to replace the HDD, and can someone link me to the step-by-step directions (or send them) if they have them?

I have stuff on the old HDD, but I'm not going to lose sleep over losing it - I just want my TiVo back in service - major football games coming up!!
dbl_corona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 11:57 PM   #1389
azitnay

http://tivo.upgrade-instructions.com/

Drew
Old 12-20-2006, 02:25 AM   #1390
kcir
TiVo addicted

Well, I purchased InstantCake. I tried with no success to get a usable image from the original disk. The machine is going through the initial setup now. When I first booted it up after the InstantCake image it would not see my network. I had to use the old phone line. I'm getting tired now and won't do more with it until tomorrow.

Just a plug for InstantCake. I didn't want to pay for an image, but it was well worth it.

While doing the hard disk swap I removed the DVD recorder to get a better look at the MB. I got to thinking, does anyone know if it is possible to swap the Pioneer DVD burnet that comes in the RSTX units with a dual layer burner? I'd like to do this, but don't know if the software would recognize it.
Old 12-20-2006, 03:18 PM   #1391
Chester_Lampwick

Quote:
While doing the hard disk swap I removed the DVD recorder to get a better look at the MB. I got to thinking, does anyone know if it is possible to swap the Pioneer DVD burnet that comes in the RSTX units with a dual layer burner? I'd like to do this, but don't know if the software would recognize it.
Actually the DVR-108 is a dual layer DVD burner. It's also a 16x DVD+/-R/W. It's the limitations of the rest of the TiVo that keep you from using the extra speed, formats, and capacity.

See ya,
Roger
Old 12-20-2006, 06:20 PM   #1392
siouxzieb

TiVo+Slingbox:WHERE is the IR receiver??

That pretty much says it all. I shined a flashlight into every spot of my TX60, but could not find that tell-tale red thing. I have had limited success blasting to it with my new neato-cool slingbox, but since it's hit & miss, I'd really like to know exactly where that sucker is and get a little more reliability :-(

Help? anyone?

Thanks in advance,
Suzanne
siouxzieb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 08:38 PM   #1393
windracer
joined the 10k club

I could be wrong, but on my TX20 I'm pretty sure the IR receiver is the black hole/dot immediately to the right of the DVD tray.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 12:05 AM   #1394
kcir
TiVo addicted

Well, here we go again. Like I said yesterday I used InstantCake to revive my tx60. Now however, the unit freezes up quite often during season pass configuration. I was happy that InstantCake did the job, but was disapointed when I found out that even though I just baught it, I got an old revision of the TiVo software. I'd think they would give you the latest release. Does anyone know if they make new releases available to owners after they purchase from them? I'm now suspect though that the problem is the TiVo software and never was my drive. I'm just at the break even point on my $300 lifetime subscription. Funny that TiVos seem to die after two years. Funny that this is happening to lots of us and TiVo no longer offers lifetime. Is this there way of ridding themselves of all the livetime subscribers?

BTW, what is the slingbox mentioned above?
Old 12-21-2006, 12:55 AM   #1395
ashu
User title defunct

If a new software version is out there and has been released, your TiVo will automatically download and install it. Kinda pointless for InstanCake makers to update their CD with every new release.

What 'old version' is this.

Oh, and the more Season Passes you have, and the more changes you make in priorities/order and settings, the longer the relatively wimpy processor on the TiVo will take to compute the ensuing ToDo list and make it so Not a software glitch nor a sign of hardware failure.

(Too many TiVos!)

Ad hoc, ad loc, and quid pro quo!
So little time! So much to know!
ashu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 01:42 AM   #1396
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Quote:
Well, here we go again. Like I said yesterday I used InstantCake to revive my tx60. Now however, the unit freezes up quite often during season pass configuration. I was happy that InstantCake did the job, but was disapointed when I found out that even though I just baught it, I got an old revision of the TiVo software.
Did you run full diagnostics on the hard drive you used before using InstantCake and installing it in your unit? That is the #1 cause of problems (bad hard drives). It might also be worth running full diagnostics on the old drive, too (so you can see if that was the original problem). If you can't find anything wrong with the drives, try replacing the IDE cable, that is also a common cause of problems. Very few units die, even after or three or even four years (we are still upgrading units over six years old); obviously some do, but not most.

As for the version of the software (7.2.0); it is older but not that old (about six-months) and is the same version documented in the release notes. The unit will automatically update after one or two daily calls.

tivoupgrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 01:21 AM   #1397
kcir
TiVo addicted

Thanks for the replies. Things seem to be working okay now.

I will run diags on the original disk. Before it died completely though there were odd noises comming from it' I'm no stranger to computers/hard drives etc.... so sounded like a bad disk.

Thanks again for the replies, and yes I'll say it again InstantCake was well worth it.
Old 12-23-2006, 01:42 PM   #1398
mach_10

Angry Change Recording Time is gone

Witin the last month, I noticed my my "change recording time" option has disappeared. I phoned TIVO customer service & they say it is now part of the TIVO, PLUS & if I want it I will have to pay for it.
Is there any other method out there that would get this option back ?
mach_10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 05:11 PM   #1399
kcir
TiVo addicted

It is wrong to take features away that were once free. While TiVo is a wonderful servyce, there are free alternatives out there that people may start switching to if TiVo Inc. continues to take features away. I'd list the other services, but the post would likely be removed then. Google will find them if anyone is interested. I have no desire to leave TiVo and I do support the company as long as they continue to play nice and not remove features in an attempt to make more money. There are plenty of features they should and can add to make money instead of chargiing for what was once free.
Old 12-23-2006, 09:04 PM   #1400
ashu
User title defunct

kcir, nobody will remove any posts you may make about Sage, Beyond, Myth etc! At least I've never seen it happen. You may be told to post in a suitable topic-related thread (which this may well be, if, indeed, TiVo basic has abruptly lost some features!)

mach_10, have you looked at the comparison page (Basic versus Plus)? Has it chaned lately? The Wayback machine or Google Cache may be helpful tools to determine this!

It isn't like TiVo to remove existing features - perhaps there's more to this? Perhaps you'd like to start a whole separate thread to draw attnetion to this?

I don't use Basic (although two of my units are capable of it) because I prefer Plus - otherwise I'd test this myself.

(Too many TiVos!)

Old 12-24-2006, 01:47 AM   #1401
Bimwad

Quote:
Originally Posted by mach_10
Witin the last month, I noticed my my "change recording time" option has disappeared. I phoned TIVO customer service & they say it is now part of the TIVO, PLUS & if I want it I will have to pay for it.
Is there any other method out there that would get this option back ?
Refresh my memory -- in which context does this option appear?

I've noticed that the "Change Recording Options" no longer appears when manually selecting a program to be recorded while viewing the Guide. Selecting that command used to jump directly to the manual recording setup screens, which since 7.3 is reached through the somewhat ill-named "Find Programs" main menu item -- since Basic users can't "find" programs.

With regard to the ethics or legality of removing formerly free-features, the fine print in the user agreement allows TiVo to basically do what they please. You win some (like the Recently Deleted Folder), you lose some.
Bimwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 12:33 PM   #1402
CynthiaJ

I am a new user to this forum and have attempted to research this problem, but don't find anything that matches it. Forgive me if I have over looked it.

I have a 2-year old Toshiba RS_TX20 that I use with the main purpose of recording movies and then burning them to DVD in order to watch them at a vacation home that has no TV service.

About a year after I purchased the Toshiba I started to have problems with failed burns. I started doing the unplug/replug and cleaning the laser disk dance. Also trying different types of DVD brands. This all sort of worked at first, but now I am down to doing it everytime I want to burn and then it still doesn't always work. Now my problem is that the programs seem to download fine, but it is the burn that is the problem. When I try to replay the burned DVD I get freezes. I have talked to the people at Toshiba who have been marginally helpful. Now they want me to send in the Toshiba for servicing for about $180 minimum. Should I do this? Is there something else that I can do? Can I transfer the downloaded DVD's to my Mac computer and burn from there? I'm not much of a techy, but can do stuff if the procedure is explicit.

One additional note is that we use Comcast Cable service and have noticed recently that even while watching TV we sometimes get poor reception and brief blackouts. Yet when I download movies and try to test them first, they seem fine. Don't know if this is a pertinent issue or not, but thought I'd mention it.

Thanks to all in advance for your help.
CynthiaJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 02:47 PM   #1403
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

We have seen this problem with several of the units that have DVD burners and in most cases, it has turned out to be a defective hard drive (not a bad DVD burner, as previously thought). Obviously, there is no way to know this definitively unless further testing is done (eg running diagnostics on the drive in your unit).

Old 12-26-2006, 04:15 PM   #1404
CynthiaJ

Can I run the diagnostics myself or is this something I need to pay the Toshiba people to do?

Can I record the programs onto the Toshiba unit and then somehow transfer it to my computer and then burn it with that? I have a DVD burner with my Mac. If so, how?
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tivoupgrade
We have seen this problem with several of the units that have DVD burners and in most cases, it has turned out to be a defective hard drive (not a bad DVD burner, as previously thought). Obviously, there is no way to know this definitively unless further testing is done (eg running diagnostics on the drive in your unit).

CynthiaJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 04:25 PM   #1405
azitnay

Yes, you can run diagnostics on the hard drive yourself by opening up the unit (voiding any warranty you may still have), taking out the hard drive, hooking it up to a PC, and either using the diagnostics program provided by the hard drive manufacturer and usually available on their website, or any number of third-party hard drive diagnostic programs (such as SpinRite).

You can also transfer recordings to a computer and then burn form there. Typically, though, this process requires a PC, not a Mac. You can easily transfer the recordings to a Mac using something like Galleon:

http://galleon.tv/

However, the recordings are encrypted, and the only official software solution for burning them is only available for PC's. There is at least one method of decrypting on a Mac, but discussion of it isn't really acceptable on these particular forums.

Drew
Old 12-26-2006, 10:17 PM   #1406
ashu
User title defunct

Remember NOT to have a Windows XP or Win2000 disk connected to the PC at the same time (when you connect the TiVo hard drive to it)! Those stupid OSen will overwrite your MBR. In regular-speak, they will fubar the TiVo hard drive, if at all it IS working.

(Too many TiVos!)

Old 12-27-2006, 02:55 AM   #1407
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Cynthia -

We can take a look at it for you for $75; but repairing it could cost more depending on what the problem is; if you are technically inclined (or know someone who knows a bit about computers), downloading the Maxtor diagnostics is a very easy thing to do and a few tests on the drive might be conclusive enough to help you determine the best course of action.

As for the elephant in the room, sorry, I don't see it. There are plenty of people here who would like to help you out, however.

Old 12-27-2006, 11:19 AM   #1408
windracer
joined the 10k club

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwaddict
4.) You should NOT be having so many issues across the board so as to necessitate a board of people across the globe who will discuss their problems with your product like an AA meeting. (People...we are not the problem...the manufacturer is...why are you solving this issues?)
Oh, because there aren't other user-run forums for other electronic devices like PCs, gaming rigs, iPods, etc. etc.? We're just enthusiasts trying to help each other out.

|
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 12:07 PM   #1409
ashu
User title defunct

Hard (and DVD) drives die. Even those in your beloved Vaio etc. Get over it.

(Too many TiVos!)

Old 12-27-2006, 04:11 PM   #1410
ashu
User title defunct

How many MS phone tech-help folks acknowledge Windows' myriad of issues and flaws? They have no desire to get fired.

People still use them, make the most of them and help each other out. It's the same (but immensely better) with TiVo.

Comparing it to solid-state or electronic hardware is unreasonable and shortsighted. If your HT receiver ran an OS, software ont op of it, and depended upon, for its own reliability, 3rd party internal (HDD) and external storage (DVD burner) devices, it would be as bad, if not worse beause of the heat generated by the amps

Please get over yourself.

Addon - here's my take on it.

Does it SUCK that TiVos die, sometimes, and, you could even say, eventually? Yeah!
Is it TiVo's FAULT? Heck, no!

Acceptable trade-off for ME, and many others, and if it isn't to you, please blame and sue the manufacturers of the unreliable components therein, or buy the $10000+ Blaupunkt and Bang Olafsen (or Panasonic, Sharp) etc custom ultra-high-endDVRs with high-end components and immense reliability, as well as pay-per-use inhome service.

(Too many TiVos!)