TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Forum Extras > DVD TiVo Units (Archive)
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-17-2006, 08:46 AM   #1351
EvilMidniteBombr
what bomz at midnite

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashu
Perhaps you meant to say composite?

The rear component triplet is output only!
Yeah, what he said. But really what is the actual difference between composite and component? I mean other than they use different color codes? But yes, that's what I meant.

9/11/01... Never Forget.
EvilMidniteBombr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 08:52 AM   #1352
ashu
User title defunct

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilMidniteBombr
But really what is the actual difference between composite and component? I mean other than they use different color codes?

Read!

Component is HD capable, composite is ... a turd.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Too many TiVos!)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ad hoc, ad loc, and quid pro quo!
So little time! So much to know!
ashu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 09:52 AM   #1353
EvilMidniteBombr
what bomz at midnite

So, what is the actual difference between the cables themselves? I mean, physically how is one composite audio cable different from one component video cable? Is it shielding or number of wires in the cable? Or is it just the colors on the end of the cable?

9/11/01... Never Forget.
Old 11-17-2006, 10:25 AM   #1354
ashu
User title defunct

The medium does not need to differ, the content does.

You can use three yellow (or pink!) composite cable to make a component connection, if you connect the right pairs of terminals.

Some (many) manufacturer will use better shielding or core for component, using the "protect more valuable data' logic. Composite (the AV standard) is so (comapratively) incapable, that there isn't much motivation to use good/better cables to preserve quality of transmission.

(Too many TiVos!)

Old 11-17-2006, 03:03 PM   #1355
EvilMidniteBombr
what bomz at midnite

So, I could use a set of decent quality composite AV cables (Left, Right & Video) as component video cables instead of going out and plunking down extra $$'s? That is helpful info!

Now all I need is HD content and an HD TiVo.

9/11/01... Never Forget.
Old 11-17-2006, 06:21 PM   #1356
starknight88

i apologize if this is already covered - i am a new member and have not read through the whole thread .... i was wondering if any of u knows how to change rstx20 into a multi-region player?
starknight88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 01:52 AM   #1357
ashu
User title defunct

Quote:
Originally Posted by starknight88
i apologize if this is already covered - i am a new member and have not read through the whole thread .... i was wondering if any of u knows how to change rstx20 into a multi-region player?
Likely impossible.

(Too many TiVos!)

Old 11-29-2006, 11:40 PM   #1358
nssmart

program guide

I have the RS-TX20 and after my latest update, I can no longer access the program guide. The remote works for everything else. I tried to restart/reboot with no luck. I searched the forum and didn't see any related postings, so I guess its not a common problem. Any ideas?
nssmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 10:13 AM   #1359
Chester_Lampwick

Check the system information screen for a S03 error. If you have one you'll need to see this thread
Old 11-30-2006, 11:46 AM   #1360
EVV_Richard

I am one of those people that plan on keeping my RS-TX60 for 10 to 15 years, really. I am not the least interested in High Definition TV and all the money, equipment and time it takes to get it going. I am really happy with just a good, clear picture on my TV from my TiVo. I have the TiVo lifetime subscription.

Since I am so devoted to keeping my original TiVo box, I am toying with the idea of sending in my TiVo to either DVRupgrade or WeekKnees for an upgrade of the hard drive and the fan. Due to HD TV I guess, the RS-TX60 is not even being made anymore. I think in the long run my unit will be much more reliable with an upgrade.

What to other people think about this? Do you think my RS-TX60 will go 10-15 years as it is right now, or do you think an upgrade is the way to go? Your opinions, please...
EVV_Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 12:28 PM   #1361
azitnay

In my opinion, the chances of either the stock hard drive or the new one WeaKnees puts in lasting 10-15 years is pretty low. Hard drives just aren't that good.

The good news, though, is that it'll be pretty simple to replace once the time comes.

I wouldn't look at a WeaKnees upgrade as a way to make the box more reliable... It's more for the added recording space. TiVo makes their boxes pretty reliable as it is.

Drew
azitnay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 02:28 PM   #1362
Chester_Lampwick

I had a VCR from 1983-2000. I got a lot of hours on it before the heads physically wore out. I doubt my TiVo will last that long, but I'd like to keep mine 10 years. I'm guessing that I'll be replacing the hard drive a few times, as well as the DVD burner. I've accumulated some spare parts to keep it going.

Everybody wants HD it seems. As is your opinion, I don't much care for the benefit of HD. My digital satellite/TiVo combination gives a picture far supeior to anything I had 5-10 years ago. I'm not a big fan of the DVD system. There are too many player/media/encoding issues. Why couldn't they have standardized it more? Every tape I made in that old VCR worked in every other VCR I tried, why can't DVDs be like this? I also hate the fact that rental DVDs often are physically abused so bad as not to play. They lack in physical ruggedness. I do prefer the portability of DVDs of course.

I guess my $.02 is that not everything new is great.
Old 12-02-2006, 06:25 PM   #1363
belcanto

I have the Toshiba RS-TX60 (after I got rid of the Humax!!! ). I have found that if I view a store-bought DVD on myToshiba, and then later try to burn a DVD from a program I recorded using the TIVO service, I will get multiple "saving failed" messages. I have lost a lot of DVD disks until I stumbled onto a solution. I bought a pack of the 1X-2X DVD -RW (Verbatim) and if I record onto one of these disks, it seems to correct whatever the recording problem is and then I can resume using the "up to 8X" disks by Verbatim (I cannot find any 1X-4X disks anymore).

Worth a try - this has worked for me repeatedly.
belcanto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 10:36 AM   #1364
ber

Quote:
Originally Posted by belcanto
I have the Toshiba RS-TX60 (after I got rid of the Humax!!! ). I have found that if I view a store-bought DVD on myToshiba, and then later try to burn a DVD from a program I recorded using the TIVO service, I will get multiple "saving failed" messages. I have lost a lot of DVD disks until I stumbled onto a solution. I bought a pack of the 1X-2X DVD -RW (Verbatim) and if I record onto one of these disks, it seems to correct whatever the recording problem is and then I can resume using the "up to 8X" disks by Verbatim (I cannot find any 1X-4X disks anymore).

Worth a try - this has worked for me repeatedly.
Any input from the readers concerning best place to buy 1x 2x discs from any supplier....given that they are indeed hard to find???
ber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 10:59 AM   #1365
sean931

$3 solution to S03 error problem?!?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joanna531
...Now a year later I pull it out, hook it up, and after several hours of software downloads it's claiming S03 error every time it tries to connect to Tivo.

OK, here’s a not-so-brief description of our scenario:

We have an RS-TX60 that we've been using trouble-free for nearly 2 years along with our Dish Network service. We recently moved from Cali to Chicago, so the box was unplugged and stored for a little over 4 months. We finally got the satellite dish installed on our new house this past Saturday and plugged in the DVR. We were able to view all of our previously recorded shows, so it appeared that the box was functioning normally. We then proceeded to “Repeat Guided Setup” so that we could enter our new ZIP code and get the guide info for our new location…

We ended up getting the dreaded S03 error every time the unit tried to “Load” the data from the first of the 2 required connections to Tivo. We tried repeating the guided setup a few dozen times, trying all sorts of combinations of phone line, internet connection, etc. We tried to get into the diagnostic mode with the Kickstart procedure with no luck. We made calls to Tivo, Toshiba, and traded e-mails with Weaknees. Nothing seemed to work, and it was looking like we were either going to need to send the box back to Toshiba for repair ($140 minimum since we’re past warranty) or order a replacement drive from Weaknees.

The solution:

After reading a Joanna531’s post from above, it occurred to me that the Main Logic Board’s backup battery was most likely dead and could be causing a problem. I was skeptical but had nothing to lose, so I decided to open the box and replace the battery. The battery is located under the DVD drive, and is a standard 2032 coin cell that can be found at any major drug store or supermarket.

We then reconnected the DVR, powered up, and went through the guided set-up. TA-DA!!! We made it through the first connection/load with flying colors. At this point, we had the box connected via the USB Ethernet adaptor, and we got stuck in the “Preparing” portion of the second required connection to Tivo. So after a few more attempts, we decided to repeat the process using the phone line. Once we had selected a good local dial-up number and dialing scheme, we made it all the way through guided setup. We are now up and running perfectly.

The moral of the story:

If you’re getting the S03 error, try replacing your MLB’s backup battery, and try completing the Guided Setup using phone line before going through the expense of replacing the HDD or sending the unit back to Toshiba.

Sorry for the long post, but I thought this could be valuable info for some people.

Cheers,
Sean

Last edited by sean931 : 12-05-2006 at 11:06 AM.
sean931 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 01:15 PM   #1366
ashu
User title defunct

Good one - I would never have thought of that!

(Too many TiVos!)

Old 12-06-2006, 08:17 AM   #1367
sean931

Um....crap. Completely ignore my previous post. S03 error returned last night with a vengeance.

So I guess it was coincidence that my DVR miraculously completed guided setup after changing the battery? Well, back to the drawing board.

Update: S03 error is gone and my RS-TX seems to be functioning normall. Dunno why, I didn't do anything beyond what I did in my original post....just left it plugged in and running. Weird.

Last edited by sean931 : 12-11-2006 at 01:08 PM.
sean931 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 07:18 PM   #1368
keshler

Alternate Setup

Quote:
The S2 TiVo you have (RSTX60) would be the MASTER. you would train it to change channels and watch TV (live ... but why? and recorded) ONLY through the TiVo. You can safely thow away your cable box remote control

Yes, it tunes anything you want, by sending the command to the Cable Box. Of course, you can't order PPV or inDemand/VOD stuff.

(Just FYI, for better in-TiVo integration of cable channel changing & recording ... with caveats such as no transfers (yet), no DVD burning etc ... look into the Series 3 TiVo!)
This path certainly works and is the default setup but tivo has the annoying habit of erasing the 1/2 hr queue whenever you change channels. If you use the cable remote instead you can eliminate this "feature". You also do not need to buy an IR cable.

On the down side you will have to program the tivo and cable box (both have timers) when you want to record something unless you are using the record button on the remote.
keshler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 04:55 PM   #1369
cornfedhusky

HOW TO CATALOG BURNED TIVO DVD SHOW TITLES

Has anyone found a way to catalog what movies/shows they've burned (ie: in an xcell spreadsheet, etc.) without manually typing in the titles? I've searched everywhere and can't find a way to extract the menu text from the burned tivo dvd so I can paste it into a spreadsheet. I'd greatly appreciate any solutions anyone has. Thanks!
cornfedhusky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 11:51 AM   #1370
Chester_Lampwick

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornfedhusky

Has anyone found a way to catalog what movies/shows they've burned (ie: in an xcell spreadsheet, etc.) without manually typing in the titles? I've searched everywhere and can't find a way to extract the menu text from the burned tivo dvd so I can paste it into a spreadsheet. I'd greatly appreciate any solutions anyone has. Thanks!
As far as I know there is no way to extract text from a DVD. All the menus are images. Only the disc title can be had.
Old 12-13-2006, 09:45 AM   #1371
bts0004

Arrow RS-TX60 won't boot...

We have an RS-TX60, which is now 13 months old. The other day, it started flaking out a bit - image starting to break up, choppy audio/video, etc. Then, it rebooted itself. Now, it won't come back up. It starts to boot and the big yellow splash screen comes up, but it never gets beyond that and starts up again - it's frozen. We gave it a good 30-45 min the last attempt, just to be sure, but it still just sits there on the yellow screen and "Welcome" displayed on the front panel of the unit.

When I put my ear down by the unit, to see if I could hear hard drive activity, I can hear a very repetitive sound coming from it. Every 2-ish seconds, it just makes the same sound over and over again, from the hard drive. Does this sound like a hard drive crash to anyone? My only other TiVo unit has been the SD-H400, which has been chugging along happily for several years, so for this one to seemingly die in 13 months is a little irritating, to say the least.

TIA for any tips/advice!
bts0004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 10:06 AM   #1372
ashu
User title defunct

Every 2 seconds, eh? Click of death. Google it. (my bad, that's the terminology applied more commonly to Zip/Jazz drives - but it also applies to hard drives, particularly Maxtors)

Unfortunately, you need a new hard drive. And if you don't have an image saved up, ask around - there's a thread in the upgrade sections. And make sure the replacement hard drive you buy is larger than the current one (I think that's a partition expansion requirement or something)

Unless you choose to buy a ready-to-use hard drive (also quite reasonable for middling sizes) from one of the cool, reliable site sponsors who sell upgrades - weaknees, ptvupgrade, dvrupgrade or even the TC Store.

(Too many TiVos!)

Old 12-13-2006, 10:56 AM   #1373
bts0004

Ugh - that's what I was afraid was likely the case.

Given the amount of time I have these days to tinker, I think my best bet will likely be to just purchase an upgrade kit. I'm assuming the upgrade kits that I've seen on these places will not affect the TiVo Basic that came with it? In other words, will I be forced to subscribe to Plus, or will Basic be available after I swap the drives? Currently, we've just been using the Basic service.
bts0004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 11:24 AM   #1374
azitnay

You'll still be using RS-TX software, so you'll still have the TiVo Basic option.

Drew
azitnay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 11:41 AM   #1375
musiclover408

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornfedhusky

I use a program called Movie Collector. All you do is enter in the title of the movie and it loads ALL the information about the movie as well as scans of the front and back of the DVD cover! It's a great program and not very expensive. It can be downloaded at Collectorz.com You can download and try it out for free. They also have programs for music and book collections as well. Let me know if you liked it.

Duane
musiclover408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 12:06 PM   #1376
ashu
User title defunct

Quote:
Originally Posted by musiclover408
I use a program called Movie Collector. All you do is enter in the title of the movie and it loads ALL the information about the movie as well as scans of the front and back of the DVD cover! It's a great program and not very expensive. It can be downloaded at Collectorz.com You can download and try it out for free. They also have programs for music and book collections as well. Let me know if you liked it.

Duane
Only works for movies, he's asking about (TV) shows (too).

(Too many TiVos!)

Old 12-13-2006, 12:10 PM   #1377
musiclover408

Quote:
Only works for movies, he's asking about (TV) shows (too).
You can manually input any titles that are not found in the search. So if you wanted to add your home movies, or whatever into your catelog you can do that. It gives you all the same options to input specific information when you manually input a title into the database. Plus, It does include TV shows that have been released on DVD.
musiclover408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 01:43 PM   #1378
Hockey9
Frozen Tivo

Question about Component and Composite

I apologize if this has been asked before but a search came up with too many results. I have the Tx20 hooked up via component to my Toshiba HDTV (non-HDMI). This is a boxed refurbished unit off of Ebay. Everything works fine that I can tell. I have even upgraded it with a 250GB drive. I noticed that there is no video coming out of Composite Out. I can get audio but no video. Is this normal? I was looking to use a RF Modulator to send video all over my house over Ch 3 .. I know that its a quality loss but I still have the connection to the good tv if I really want to enjoy a good picture. I was able to get the RF modulator to trigger over to Ch. 3 using my previous Sony DVD player. During Guided setup, it detected the component connection and asked me whether I wanted to enable Progressive Scanning.. Did that disable the composite?
Hockey9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 01:54 PM   #1379
ashu
User title defunct

(Selecting 480Progressive over component) It may have disabled the composite (and SVideo) - I can check tonight.

Or you could turn it (progressive) off from the Settings menu and see if it (composite) starts to work

(Too many TiVos!)

Old 12-15-2006, 01:10 PM   #1380
zipddoda

I have a TX-20 that is starting to die and have a good feeling the hard drive is about to die. Can I pick up a new hard drive, pull the old, hook them both up to my pc, drag the information from the old to the new, put the new one in the TX-20 and have it work? I have so much on the drive and would hate to lose it but putting it on a dvd is not working because the HD freezes.
zipddoda is offline   Reply With Quote