TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Forum Extras > DVD TiVo Units (Archive)
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-19-2006, 01:50 PM   #1321
sbros

Quote:
Okay, just to be sure "are you inserting the discs label side up?"
Yes. Why is your question in quotes? Did someone ask that to you once?
Quote:
How long have you owned it? Was it new, used or refurbished when you bought it? Is/was it in a smoky or dusty environment?
I got it used but it was not refurbished. The environment is not smokey or dusty. I already tried turning it off for hours so i think I need to replace the DVD drive. Who can tell me the make and model in this RS-TX20 so I can search and get a new one? Thanks
sbros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 03:18 PM   #1322
Chester_Lampwick

Pioneer DVR-108. I've hear some had DVR-107. Check your system info screen. It will likely say DVR-108RZ V1.15

If you feel inclined, and have a PC you could always try using that buner in your PC. You'll be suprised that when you open the box it's a regualr bare PC drive and even the faceplate is still attached. This would definately prove/disprove having a bad burner.

I didn't really need the quotes. I guess I just wanted to emphasize the question. Nobody has asked me that question, but I have had many silly questions posed to me over the years......

I may be able to help you find a drive replacement, let me know....
Roger
Old 10-23-2006, 04:04 PM   #1323
JRock447

RS-TX60 Tuner Question

Hello,

Does anyone know if the RS-TX60 model has dual tuners? Say if I splice my cable so that there's a connection to both the RCA inputs and the RF input?

Thanks!

Josh
JRock447 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 04:14 PM   #1324
Chester_Lampwick

It has 4 sets of inputs. You can't use more than one set at a time though. You can say use the coax input for say analog cable or antenna, then use the RCA connectors for your satellite receiver. You can have a dual lineup....
Old 10-23-2006, 04:33 PM   #1325
windracer
joined the 10k club

But it only has 1 tuner, and thus can only record 1 show at a time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 04:51 PM   #1326
ashu
User title defunct

And to summarize (and further add to your confusion) you can ONLY combine lineups from
1. A Satellite box as the RCA input/source
2. The TiVo's RF cable tuner for basic, unencrypted, non SDV channels

And no, 1 can't be replaced with a digital cable box (although seeing as it can ONLY record from one of 1 or 2 at a time, that would be quite pointless, as your cable box would provide the 'basic' channels, and possibly clearer, if your cable company provides SDV).

For two TRUE tuners & simultaneous recordings (again restricted to a subset of all possible combinations - with only one RCA input from cable/sat and RF cable being permitted) you need one of the new Dual Tuner SD TiVos. None of which come with a DVD burner

(Too many TiVos!)

Ad hoc, ad loc, and quid pro quo!
So little time! So much to know!
ashu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 05:40 PM   #1327
JRock447

That's what I thought, thanks everyone for the fast replies!

Another question...in the next few months I'm going to be purchasing an HDTV and was wondering if having a non-HD tivo causes the picture quality to decline.

Here's my questions:

1. If I use component cables then when watching live tv will the picture quality be as though the receiver was directly connected to the TV?

2. If I pause and resume, or watch a recorded high def program then I realize that the picture quality will decline. How bad is the compressed image?

Thanks for all your help!

Josh
JRock447 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 05:57 PM   #1328
ashu
User title defunct

EVERYTHING you watch through ANY TiVo (except HD and digital SD recordings on the the Series 3 HD) is compressed ... either ...
1. into the Live Buffer at 'Best' Quality when watching 'live', OR
2. onto your disk when recorded, in whatever quality you choose.

The component iunputs on the Toshiba units make watching SD reasonably bearable on an HDTV, if you use High (or Best!) quality for 'most everything. Fortunately, hard disk replacement (to increase storage) is easy, and disks are cheap.

Yes, component results in slightly better picture quality for SD (unless your TV has a better deinterlacer etc). NOT available on standalone S2 units (SVideo/Composite only) though, just on the DVD combo units.

The compressions specs are out there somewhere. That's ("how bad ...") a very subjective question.

I'd say you're a prime candidate to invest in an HD S3 TiVo unit instead

(Too many TiVos!)

Old 10-26-2006, 04:46 PM   #1329
sledhed

Toshibas on eBay

Anyone else notice - there are TONS of Toshiba RS-TX20 units on eBay these days, mostly used, a few refurbs etc. - why so many? Is it the speed issue that has people frustrated? Or just lack of people's ability to let these things set themselves up? And most of them have NO REMOTES... which would be very irritating. They seem to bring around $100 to $150 used. I was thinking about getting a second one and using the remote I already have, if I can get one cheap enough (occasionally need to record two programs at the same time). Of course without Tivo plus, I would be unable to transfer files to the other unit but I could always burn to dvd-rw...

Edit: Maybe it was the dvd burning issues that made people give up on their RS-TX20's.

Last edited by sledhed : 10-26-2006 at 04:58 PM.
sledhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 07:29 PM   #1330
Chester_Lampwick

I think that Toshiba handled their problems differently than Humax. This is pure speculation based on my observations:

1 - Toshiba didn't really push the sales of their TiVos. It was almost like you needed to wink and give a secret handshake to the salesman before he brought one he had stashed in the backroom.
2 - They priced them significantly higher than the Humax. They probably sold a lot less of them because of this. It probably enabled them to be more generous when dealing with refunds and exchanges.
3 - They kept refurbs off the market. I suspect to keep a better image. They probably sent customers new units minus the remote. When they got the RMAs they probably stockpiled the old units without the remotes not releasing them until much later (now).
4 - they probably have a stash of new remotes. They're probably conting on selling them for $75 each.

Again, speculation.
Old 10-26-2006, 08:16 PM   #1331
ashu
User title defunct

Hunt through the links ... Toshiba/Humax DVD remotes are available for 38ish shipped.

(Too many TiVos!)

Old 10-27-2006, 01:48 PM   #1332
sbros

Quote:
Anyone else notice - there are TONS of Toshiba RS-TX20 units on eBay these days, mostly used, a few refurbs etc. - why so many? Is it the speed issue that has people frustrated? Or just lack of people's ability to let these things set themselves up? And most of them have NO REMOTES... which would be very irritating. They seem to bring around $100 to $150 used. I was thinking about getting a second one and using the remote I already have, if I can get one cheap enough (occasionally need to record two programs at the same time). Of course without Tivo plus, I would be unable to transfer files to the other unit but I could always burn to dvd-rw...
I bought a used one for $160. I then had to buy a remote. Also the dvd burner is broken so I am looking for a new rom-drive. However I am very happy with it and the tivo basic service.
sbros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 02:37 PM   #1333
Chester_Lampwick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashu
Hunt through the links ... Toshiba/Humax DVD remotes are available for 38ish shipped.
Good news, everyone! (Professor Fansworth impression) Not quite TS-RX, but Humax DRT800 remotes are $29.99 including shipping from Humax. I can't confirm this, I didn't order one myself, but that's what what one of their CSRs told me. They said they'd even ship to Canada for that price, but I have my doubts.....

See ya,
Roger

P.S. You can't order any internal parts so it seems.
Old 10-29-2006, 07:52 AM   #1334
azitnay

And it's worth noting that the Humax DRT remotes are 100% compatible with the Toshiba RS-TX remotes. The only difference is that one says "TOSHIBA" and one says "HUMAX".

Drew
azitnay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 03:18 PM   #1335
dirani

I know this is probably a stupid question but I have the RS-TX60 and have been using it with standard cable (no box). I'm considering switching over to Time Warner digital cable. Does tivo record channels 100+? My remote only allows me to punch in channels up to 99. Also, when you get the cable box with remote which should be the "master controller"?

Thanks.
dirani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 03:42 PM   #1336
sledhed

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirani
I know this is probably a stupid question but I have the RS-TX60 and have been using it with standard cable (no box). I'm considering switching over to Time Warner digital cable. Does tivo record channels 100+? My remote only allows me to punch in channels up to 99. Also, when you get the cable box with remote which should be the "master controller"?

Thanks.
I expect you will have to use the IR blaster or a serial control cable... but I am no expert, having regular cable myself (no box).
sledhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 03:58 PM   #1337
ashu
User title defunct

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirani

Thanks.
The S2 TiVo you have (RSTX60) would be the MASTER. you would train it to change channels and watch TV (live ... but why? and recorded) ONLY through the TiVo. You can safely thow away your cable box remote control

Yes, it tunes anything you want, by sending the command to the Cable Box. Of course, you can't order PPV or inDemand/VOD stuff.

(Just FYI, for better in-TiVo integration of cable channel changing & recording ... with caveats such as no transfers (yet), no DVD burning etc ... look into the Series 3 TiVo!)

(Too many TiVos!)

Old 11-02-2006, 09:43 PM   #1338
slyone

I had 2 RS-TX20's and 1 had failed within 6 mos., not sure if lack of air circulation caused it? When using the TW box it was very disappointing on how extremely slow changing channels was. I replaced it with an LRM19 unit, which also had an early demise. Now I'm back to the other RS-TX20 which hasn't been used much. I also ditched the TW digital box and leave the cabinet doors "open" this time around. The abilities of DVR are amazing! I'm 1 Happy Camper
slyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 03:18 PM   #1339
dirani

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashu
The S2 TiVo you have (RSTX60) would be the MASTER. you would train it to change channels and watch TV (live ... but why? and recorded) ONLY through the TiVo. You can safely thow away your cable box remote control

Yes, it tunes anything you want, by sending the command to the Cable Box. Of course, you can't order PPV or inDemand/VOD stuff.

(Just FYI, for better in-TiVo integration of cable channel changing & recording ... with caveats such as no transfers (yet), no DVD burning etc ... look into the Series 3 TiVo!)
Thanks.
dirani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 08:39 AM   #1340
EvilMidniteBombr
what bomz at midnite

Anyone here having trouble "tuning" into the rear composite input? Lately I cannot get a signal at that input. I used to be able to view a VCR that I have connect there by tuning to channel 0 or 00. Now, the only way I can get a signal is to Record From DVD/VCR.

I am just wondering if I am starting to see a failure of those inputs, or if it was disabled in a software update.

9/11/01... Never Forget.
EvilMidniteBombr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 04:50 PM   #1341
azitnay

Still works for me on the RS-TX20... The only thing that I know of that disables it is if you attempt to record channel 0. Doing this makes channel 0 lose its "magic", and it becomes just another channel. Repeating GS is the way to fix it.

Drew
Old 11-07-2006, 04:01 AM   #1342
mauricio1966

Arrow Help

I buy a Toshiba RS TX20 in USA, I live in Brazil, but here don't have Tivo Service and setup is impossible Can Toshiba RS TX20 work without setup Tivo? If yes, please send me instructions. Thanks

Last edited by mauricio1966 : 11-07-2006 at 02:28 PM.
mauricio1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 01:57 PM   #1343
EvilMidniteBombr
what bomz at midnite

Quote:
Originally Posted by azitnay
Still works for me on the RS-TX20... The only thing that I know of that disables it is if you attempt to record channel 0. Doing this makes channel 0 lose its "magic", and it becomes just another channel. Repeating GS is the way to fix it.

Drew
I did try to record that channel two or three weeks ago (the night Earl slept with his best friend's mom) but I could swear it has worked since then. But I am not 100% sure.

If I repeat GS, will I lose any info like Season Passes, Thumb ratings, Now Playing list, etc.?

9/11/01... Never Forget.
Old 11-07-2006, 01:59 PM   #1344
azitnay

No, simply repeating GS doesn't destroy any data... Just do it at a time when you don't have any recordings scheduled for an hour or two, because nothing will be recorded during GS.

Drew
Old 11-07-2006, 03:11 PM   #1345
EvilMidniteBombr
what bomz at midnite

OK, thanks! I'll give it a try.

9/11/01... Never Forget.
Old 11-09-2006, 11:42 AM   #1346
dbruntz

I noticed a few other owners comment on a dark picture and poor recording quality. I have the same issue with my new RS-TX20. One thing in common is that we are all connected to the same type of digital cable box. I am wondering if other do not notice the difference because it is not significant to them, or if this is a defect in only some of the units produced. Compared to the original picture of the picture I get on my traditional series-2 Tivo, the picture quality and recording quality from this unit is far inferior. All other functions are great, but video quality is important to me. This is for the live buffer (which is always recorded in "best") and for all my recorded shows (which I also record using the "best" setting).
dbruntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 03:42 PM   #1347
GForce2

I own a RS-TX20 and absolutely love it.
But, I also have darker than usual video playback. This is noticeable thru captured video and DVD. I would have to say it would be the "video" card or hardware issue that creates this problem. I suppose it could be fixed thru a firmware tweak but have not found one yet.
I'm in the process of transferring video for edit so once I get it to my computer I'll be able to see the actual quality of video saved in TiVo.

BTW,, I have a direct cable to my TiVo,, NO BOX
GForce2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 04:32 PM   #1348
Pvgibbs

As documented here before -- The downgrade in picture quality came with Series 2 boxes...not just the DVD units.

My Series 1 Sony looks better and brighter...even via SlingBox.

That being said, the Toshiba has been (and continues to be) a great machine given everything we have been through.
- Tivo+DVD player in one box
- DVD burner
- Ahead of its time large hard drive size
- FREE Basic service -- if you didnt want to pay monthly

Now if they would only make a blu-ray PLAYER-TivoHD combo
Pvgibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 10:01 PM   #1349
EvilMidniteBombr
what bomz at midnite

still not having any luck tuning to the rear component inputs.

9/11/01... Never Forget.
Old 11-15-2006, 11:21 PM   #1350
ashu
User title defunct

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilMidniteBombr
still not having any luck tuning to the rear component inputs.
Perhaps you meant to say composite?

The rear component triplet is output only!

(Too many TiVos!)