TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Forum Extras > DVD TiVo Units (Archive)
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-05-2006, 06:53 AM   #1291
PETER-SWIZZLER

With the Toshiba Unit is there anyway to get Lifetime without the 12.95/month or $lifetime change. Interested in the season pass feature.
PETER-SWIZZLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 07:25 AM   #1292
azitnay

Assuming by "get Lifetime" you meant "get Plus", the only real option any more is to pay $12.95 a month. If you already have an active TiVo on your account, that drops to $6.95 per month.

The only exceptions that I know of would be:

1) If you still have a Series1 unit on which lifetime was purchased before January 2000... If so, that unit would still qualify for the one-time lifetime transfer, so you could transfer it to the Toshiba (though I'm not sure that would be the smartest option).

2) If you still have an unused lifetime gift subscription card (since discontinued), you could use that.

Drew
azitnay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 04:12 PM   #1293
ashu
User title defunct

And the Lifetime 'Basic' sub is altogether different (and woefully incomplete, unless you use the TiVo as a spare VCR!)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Too many TiVos!)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ad hoc, ad loc, and quid pro quo!
So little time! So much to know!
ashu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 08:14 AM   #1294
digitaloutlaw

Hi there - I'm new to this forum, and just got my RS-TX20 yesterday. I plugged it in last night and went though the setup (I'm in Canada - so I used the 00000 Zip). The unit dialed up and updated - yet the sw ver is 5.4.something. Does it need to go to 7.2 for me to use the USB ports for networking? I did plug in a USB network adapter that was listed on the Tivo site as being compatible, but for some reason its not getting an IP off my router. Also, what sw ver do I need to be to get the Canadian setup so I can get my Rogers guide?

I've been trying to read up the posts - but I can't seem to find what I need.

thanks
DO..
digitaloutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 09:33 AM   #1295
azitnay

I'm not sure about your networking problems... It should work under 5.x.

Canadian support will definitely require 7.x, though, so I'd force a few more dialup connections to see if you get 7.x, and then try networking again.

Drew
Old 10-12-2006, 09:42 AM   #1296
digitaloutlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by azitnay
I'm not sure about your networking problems... It should work under 5.x.

Canadian support will definitely require 7.x, though, so I'd force a few more dialup connections to see if you get 7.x, and then try networking again.

Drew
Thanks for the quick reply Drew! I'll try that tonight!
Old 10-12-2006, 10:16 AM   #1297
ashu
User title defunct

And it needs to reboot (which it only does around 2am by default) to nstall the update. Check under Network connections to see whether it says Pending Restart (telltale sign of an update waiting to be installed) and force a reboot (pull the plug, wait a few seconds, replug

(Too many TiVos!)

Old 10-12-2006, 03:17 PM   #1298
digitaloutlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashu
And it needs to reboot (which it only does around 2am by default) to nstall the update. Check under Network connections to see whether it says Pending Restart (telltale sign of an update waiting to be installed) and force a reboot (pull the plug, wait a few seconds, replug
Thanks! I will try that too. Question - do I need to subscribe to TivoPlus for this to happen? I was on the Tivo site forum, and a post said that if you have Tivo Basic only, you cannot use the network functionality and the unit will not upgrade to the latest SW.
Old 10-12-2006, 03:23 PM   #1299
azitnay

http://www.pvrcompare.com/tivobasic.html confirms that TiVo Basic supports connecting via ethernet.

http://customersupport.tivo.com/know...c/tv079902.htm confirms that TiVo Basic's latest software version is 7.2.2. I don't think they'd hold you back on 5.x simply because you're not subscribed to Plus.

Drew
Old 10-12-2006, 10:43 PM   #1300
slyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by azitnay
http://www.pvrcompare.com/tivobasic.html confirms that TiVo Basic supports connecting via ethernet.

http://customersupport.tivo.com/know...c/tv079902.htm confirms that TiVo Basic's latest software version is 7.2.2. I don't think they'd hold you back on 5.x simply because you're not subscribed to Plus.

Drew
Yes, you are correct, this happens to be my setup also.
slyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 04:13 AM   #1301
Bimwad

Boxes running in Basic mode have software versions concurrent with Plus and other TiVos. Features are disabled, but they all run the same code.

At this point, it's 7.3.1, which you'll soon regret receiving for reasons well-covered elsewhere.
Bimwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 07:58 AM   #1302
digitaloutlaw

thanks guys. I went through the setup again and found I finally got 7.3.1 this morning. I started the Canadian setup, and chose Antenna (since I use analog cable), but it skipped alot of channels. I'll play with it tonight again, and will try to get my SpeedStream USB NIC working with it as well.

thanks again
DO..
Old 10-13-2006, 08:54 AM   #1303
windracer
joined the 10k club

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitaloutlaw
I'll play with it tonight again, and will try to get my SpeedStream USB NIC working with it as well.
Keep in mind that that particular NIC isn't listed as supported.

|
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 09:01 AM   #1304
azitnay

Actually, if it's the SS1001, it's at least reported to work on the wired page:

http://customersupport.tivo.com/know...ic/tv2183.htm?

Drew
Old 10-13-2006, 09:20 AM   #1305
windracer
joined the 10k club

Whoops ... forgot about wired vs. wireless. Sorry about that!

|
Old 10-13-2006, 07:33 PM   #1306
digitaloutlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by windracer
Whoops ... forgot about wired vs. wireless. Sorry about that!
with 7.3.1 my SpeedStream NIC is working perfectly now! I also have a Linksys WUSB11 v.2.5. I know that only 2.6,2.8, etc are supposed to work. I plugged it in the the heck of it, and the Tivo saw it, and said it needed to upgrade the drivers. It did, and went through the wireless config. It saw my wireless router, but couldn't connect. Is this standard for a non-approved NIC? I thought that the tivo would just ignore it or not detect it. Has anyone tried a wusb11 2.5 at all and got it to work?

thx
DO..
Old 10-13-2006, 08:19 PM   #1307
windracer
joined the 10k club

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitaloutlaw
It saw my wireless router, but couldn't connect. Is this standard for a non-approved NIC? I thought that the tivo would just ignore it or not detect it.
I think that's about the same thing others have been seeing with "unsupported" adapters, which is why it's so confusing/hard to troubleshoot. It seems like something in the wireless drivers for Linux changed in the 7.3.1 release that "broke" a lot of unsupported adapters that used to work. But, since they were unsupported in the first place ...

|
Old 10-13-2006, 08:56 PM   #1308
digitaloutlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by windracer
I think that's about the same thing others have been seeing with "unsupported" adapters, which is why it's so confusing/hard to troubleshoot. It seems like something in the wireless drivers for Linux changed in the 7.3.1 release that "broke" a lot of unsupported adapters that used to work. But, since they were unsupported in the first place ...
It was actually mine fault - forgot to put this NIC on my MAC list for access. Now it connects and is working great! I thought that I would have to go out and buy another wireless NIC - but now i can use my Linksys wusb11 v.2.5! Woop!

thanks for everyone's help. Now I just need to get my wife used to Tivo again. We used to have DirecTivo - and when we got rid of it, we were both jonesing for it. Only thing I'm noticing different is a delay in response from the RS-TX20.. something to get used to I guess..

thanks again
DO..
Old 10-14-2006, 02:58 PM   #1309
FishTank1701

Interesting problem, anybody else seen this?

My RS-TX20 has recently started acting strangely (not that this unit wasn't always a bit strange). It'll be in Live TV mode, and react to the remote's pause, FF/RW etc keys. However, when pressing the TiVo button, it will respond with the appropriate sound, but never go to the menu.

In order to regain full control, a reboot via power disconnect is required. Afterwards, the box is ok for a few days, but then it ends up back in this state. Has anybody else run into this quirk?

Thankfully, this box is on 6.95/mo status, and not lifetime, and I got it at a really good price. I'm beginning to think it's time to replace it with a $50 DVD player and cablevision's $9.95 DVR until the price of a series 3 comes down to a more sensible level.

PS: Happy Halloween Everybody!
Premier XL - Wired Network (Ethernet)
no, I don't own an aquarium
FishTank1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 05:15 PM   #1310
Chester_Lampwick

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishTank1701
My RS-TX20 has recently started acting strangely (not that this unit wasn't always a bit strange). It'll be in Live TV mode, and react to the remote's pause, FF/RW etc keys. However, when pressing the TiVo button, it will respond with the appropriate sound, but never go to the menu.

In order to regain full control, a reboot via power disconnect is required. Afterwards, the box is ok for a few days, but then it ends up back in this state. Has anybody else run into this quirk?

Thankfully, this box is on 6.95/mo status, and not lifetime, and I got it at a really good price. I'm beginning to think it's time to replace it with a $50 DVD player and cablevision's $9.95 DVR until the price of a series 3 comes down to a more sensible level.

PS: Happy Halloween Everybody!
Maybe you could pass it on to me for a good price? I'd be willing to buy a fixer upper.....
Old 10-16-2006, 04:45 PM   #1311
sledhed

I noticed BB has a pioneer dvd burner for sale this week for $59, model DVR-710B5PK. Is this the same DVD burner used internally in the Toshiba TiVo RS-TX-20 units? If so I might consider buying it and using it in my desktoso I have a spare should the one in the Tivo ever die. I use the Tosh Tivo DVD burner a lot more than the one in my desktop...

I searched this forum and thread for the info but I had a hard time finding out for sure what it has in it...
sledhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 05:25 PM   #1312
ashu
User title defunct

Quote:
Originally Posted by sledhed
I noticed BB has a pioneer dvd burner for sale this week for $59, model DVR-710B5PK. Is this the same DVD burner used internally in the Toshiba TiVo RS-TX-20 units? If so I might consider buying it and using it in my desktoso I have a spare should the one in the Tivo ever die. I use the Tosh Tivo DVD burner a lot more than the one in my desktop...

I searched this forum and thread for the info but I had a hard time finding out for sure what it has in it...

IIRC many of the burner TiVos (Pioneer 810, Humax DRT 400/800/1600 and Toxhiba RSTX20/60) use NEC A05/Z05 (also sometimes rebadged as Pioneer 105/Z05). Or replace the 5 with a 6.

Yes, it's DL amd +R/RW capable, just isn't supported.

And I can't clearly remember whether anyone had success with replacing just a burner, but if you get the SAME one, I don't see why it wouldn't work

(Too many TiVos!)

Old 10-16-2006, 05:47 PM   #1313
Chester_Lampwick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashu
And I can't clearly remember whether anyone had success with replacing just a burner, but if you get the SAME one, I don't see why it wouldn't work
I have replaced my burner and it does work. The DRT800 uses a DVR-108 drive, so I bought one on E-Bay for $35 to have a spare. I tested it by burning a disk. Someone else did this before me, probably on this board, with a DVR-107 I believe.

The DVR-108 shouldn't be too hard to find, they used it in a lot of DVD duplicators for example. It's a couple years old so I don't think your average computer store would have it. You could call a few used PC shops......
Old 10-17-2006, 06:05 PM   #1314
sbros

How do I fix the DVD burner on my TX20?

Hi, I have a Toshiba RS-TX20. I bought it used. I tried using the DVD drive but it work. It wont play CDs, DVDs and it for sure wont burn DVDs. It always errors that it cant read the disc that I insert.
I have tried the resetting of the DVD burner from the Tivo menu but nothing. I have also reset all to the default settings.
I am wondering if someone can tell me how to get this burner working again. Can I service it? Can I put a different drive in there?
I looked up the firmware version: DVD-RW DVR-108 RZ 1.15
Thanks.

Last edited by sbros : 10-18-2006 at 01:22 PM.
sbros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 07:04 PM   #1315
Chester_Lampwick

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbros
Hi, I have a Toshiba RS-TX20. I bought it used. I tried using the DVD drive but it work. It wont play CDs, DVDs and it for sure wont burn DVDs. It always errors that it cant read the disc that I insert.
I have tried the resetting of the DVD burner from the Tivo menu but nothing. I have also reset all to the default settings.
I am wondering if someone can tell me how to get this burner working again. Can I service it? Can I put a different drive in there?
I looked up the firmware version: DVD-RW DVR-108 RZ 1.15
Thanks.
Okay, just to be sure "are you inserting the discs label side up?"

Perhaps some history. How long have you owned it? Was it new, used or refurbished when you bought it? Is/was it in a smoky or dusty environment?

If it was new call Toshiba and it's still under warranty call Toshiba, get a RMA number and send it for repair.

Just for starters,
Roger
Old 10-17-2006, 09:28 PM   #1316
darkfrog

slowness on remote commands

I'm so glad that other people are having this problem since the last software update. I was beginning to think my HD was going bad, but now I am pretty confident the problem is software related. I sure hope Tivo has had enough of us call tech support so that they realize there is a problem to fix, otherwise, they might keep telling everyone they need to replace the HD.
I am hardly using the burner anymore ever since they introduced Tivo2Go. I have been moving the shows I want to archive onto my computer and editing out the commercials before burning to DVD. I guess that means I can get a regular S2 and sell this puppy, or has someone has figured out a way to burn a DVD using the inputs jacks as a source, rather than just a saved program?
Now if I do sell, does the lifetime subscription go with the player, or can I transfer it to the new machine I buy?
darkfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 10:12 PM   #1317
windracer
joined the 10k club

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkfrog
Now if I do sell, does the lifetime subscription go with the player, or can I transfer it to the new machine I buy?
Lifetime goes with the box ... unless you buy a new S3 and transfer the lifetime to that new box.

|
Old 10-17-2006, 10:14 PM   #1318
Chester_Lampwick

Quote:
does the lifetime subscription go with the player, or can I transfer it to the new machine I buy?
Depends. You can't normally transfer a lifetime sub. However, if you buy an S3 you can for the low, low prrice of $200 transfer your lifetime sub. It does include a year of free service (worth $84) for your old unit too, but I suspect you would have to keep it for that year.

Now, do you really find it worthwhile cutting out the commecials so you can get an extra (5th) half hour "high quality" sitcom on a dvd which cost nearly $0.25?

Quote:
or has someone has figured out a way to burn a DVD using the inputs jacks as a source, rather than just a saved program?
Now, I'm not sure what you mean by this. All recordings are from the input jacks, unless you're on analog cable. It even has dedicated front input jacks for your camcorder. Do you mean without a subscription? Or perhaps to DVD skipping the hard drive recording stage? Making recording on the hard drive before going to DVD is great, especially when you can make multiple copies after in less than real time.

I'm interested in buying one of these units. However I find them currently overpriced on eBay compared to what I paid new last year for mine. I guess the $150 rebate was the spoiler. Make me an offer by P.M. if you like :-)

Roger
Old 10-18-2006, 01:21 PM   #1319
sbros

Who can tell me what the best deal is on a network adapter that works with a TX20? Wired or wireless.
sbros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 01:50 PM   #1320
ashu
User title defunct

Wireless B - likely the DLink DWL120 (old). 20ish on ebay/craigslist (or swap for mine - see sig)

G - no idea on best deal, but the best device is EASILY the TiVo adapter (50ish at BB?) woot often has G adapter that'll work in the 20ish vicinity.

Wired, ledshoppe.com has an old-school ethernet adapter that has been rumored to work. Or the old Linksys USB200M, or a couple of old DLink/Belkin wired ones (look fro a USB2 one that works ... tangible speed improvement over the USB 1.1)

(Too many TiVos!)