TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Forum Extras > DVD TiVo Units (Archive)
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-30-2006, 09:58 AM   #1261
ROB-USA

Same, same...

Quote:
Originally Posted by taz112576
Anyone else been having a problem with the guide. I know its slower than ever after I received the update. I have 2- tx-20 units and one the guide is very very slow and the other one the guide will not come up at all since the update?

This is really annoying.
Sadly, yes. Things have been extremely slow.
ROB-USA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 06:26 PM   #1262
keshler

Newbie question on SetUp of Used RS-TX

Hello,
Bought a bare-azz used RS-TX20 last week and just got the remote today. Using the "fumble amd find" set-up method I reset the box (kinda scary how long it takes) and changed the area code, got local number saw that changes were been made by viewing the System Info screen and am at the Connect to TIVO Service step. Started at ver 5.4 something but the call has been stuck on the Dowloading step for over 45 minutes so far. Every 10 minutes or so it jumps to live TV but when I check the staus it says it is still downloading. Is this normal? Any idea on how long it should take?

[UPDATE: Thanks for the feedback megazone; thought I had bought a lemon. For the record (and others who need to do this):

Unit was sitting at rev 5.4. Looks like last use was about 13 months ago. Using a phone line it took about 4 hours to change phone location, download current SW rev (saw no option to choose a specific one - This took a good 1.5 hrs), MANUALLY reboot (or it happens at 2am), change the program location, choose options, and download site specific line-up and settings. ]

Last edited by keshler : 09-01-2006 at 09:54 PM. Reason: Update Info
keshler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 06:28 PM   #1263
megazone
Hardcore TiVo Geek

Yeah, that's normal - it is downloading a software update and over a modem that can take over an hour. It depends on the speed the modem gets, but it can take a long time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
megazone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 06:35 PM   #1264
Joanna531

serious RS-TX60 problems after a year in storage

Okay, so I bought my RS-TX60 last July. Got it, hooked it up, no problem. Then I went out of town for a month. Shouldn't be a problem except that I lived in New Orleans and Katrina went through before I got home. 3 months later I finally get my stuff back, just pack it all up and haul it back to my parents' house where it promptly goes into storage.

Now a year later I pull it out, hook it up, and after several hours of software downloads it's claiming S03 error every time it tries to connect to Tivo. Last time it made it to about 50% loaded before it freaked out. I rebooted the DMS and now it claims to have connected successfully, but every time I try it again I get the same error.

I did some checking around on the board and tried the KickStart. It got me the green screen, but the green screen didn't last and when I tried connecting again it's the same old error. I'm going to try again with the phone line, see if it's something in the wireless network (I'm using an Apple airport and the Tivo wireless adapter, so there shouldn't be much to screw up here). After that I'm out of ideas except to call customer service which sounds frustrating and futile or replace the hard drive. Any help anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Joanna
Joanna531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 03:41 AM   #1265
taurus25661

can anyone help me with how to put the ir code into tivo for a fta box? i have the ircode just do not know how to put it in...also i have got my tx20 yet is the basic service any good?
taurus25661 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 03:37 PM   #1266
jayerndl

Playback DVD+R Media Compatibility?

I made a dvd using a program called TyTool using DVD+R media. This DVD plays fine on all my other DVD players but not on the RS-TX20. It will play for awhile and then freeze. Is this a media (DVD+R) compatibility problem or a problem with the way the DVD was authored (i.e TyTool)? Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks.

Jay
jayerndl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 05:17 PM   #1267
jessejames632

Ahh! Thank You Thank You Thank You!!!! I was gonna start crackin' the box to pull this POS rental disk outta there!
jessejames632 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 02:24 AM   #1268
aubreygus

RS-TX60 no workie workie

Hi...posted this elsewhere but thought I'd try in the "official owners club"! I'm a complete rookie at this thread business:

Been steady with the RS-TX60 now for almost two years...not that big of a user, but sure comes in handy during foozball season! Anyways, not looking good right now. I'm been reading thru the threads trying to understand if I've got the same problem that I've read a few times which is: zip, zero, nada except for some message saying that it cannot connect to live tv. Every once in a while I can see the guide pop up but as soon as I attempt to select a channel...zip, zero, nada. The only recommendation I've been able to find is a complete restore. Done about five times to no avail. SO, is this the hard drive problem I've been reading about and is it "curable"? The DVD still works and all the "TiVo looking stuff" still seems to show up on the screen, even get the groovy little noises every time I push the remote buttons but it won't play any channels and thus it won't record anything either. Any advice would be most welcome as I am already one of the many suckers who is now in need of a replacement bulb for a Toshiba DLP TV and the cheapest I can go on this DVR fix the better! Thanks in advance!!
aubreygus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 12:04 PM   #1269
keshler

RS-TX20 Basic Newbie Info Question

Hi,

Thanks to all who answered my initial install questions. Am VERY happy with the unit. Have just been using it as a mega VCR in BASIC mode and it is that plus so much more. A few questions:

1) Clock is set correctly and controls correctly internally but the display clock shows 1 hour behind actual. Assume this is a DST issue. Is there a way to correct this?

2) Any way to offset the time so recordings start 1 min prior to hour in Basic?

3) Would like to use my Cable Modem to update the grid. Tried a generic thumbnail USB adaptor and it was recognized but not supported. First are network upgrades available with Basic? Second if so, I see WUSB11's dare still available and reasonably priced but saw a few posts about the WUSB11 not being compatible with one of the upgrades. Has this been corrected?

4) THEORETICALLY speaking is there ANY way to transfer files (for editing prior to writing) to a PC using the network interface with Basic?. Know enough Linux to execute a program but am not skilled by any means. If so and it's not OK to discuss here feel free to PM me.

Great thread and the size is pretty neat but even using the search engine it has gotten outta control. Any thoughts to freezing it at some point and making this a real subtopic?

Thanks for paving the way for the newbies.
keshler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 04:24 PM   #1270
rrr22777

Recently bought a Plasma so I am wondering about the picture quality from the RS-TX20 DVD player compared to the up-conversion ones. Is this thing atleast a progressive scan DVD player? Anyone have this AND a upconverted DVD player?

Last edited by rrr22777 : 09-11-2006 at 09:12 PM.
rrr22777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 07:57 PM   #1271
ashu
User title defunct

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrr22777
Recently bought a Plama so I am wondering about the picture quality from the RS-TX20 DVD player compared to the up-conversion ones. Is this thing atleast a progressive scan DVD player? Anyone have this AND a upconverted DVD player?
Yup - it does 480P. It's not particularly pretty or special, but being able to use the TiVo navigation interface (except 30 second skip) is neat. Not even as good as my dirt-cheap Toshiba SDK-860 HDMI upconverter from Costco, and not even remotely comparable in PQ to just using a PC upconverting to 1920x1080 ... but the Toshiba RS-TX20 will do the job adequately.

FWIW, most nicer Plasmas have excellent scalers (better thanthe average LCD TV) and the high contrast/brightness and lower native resolution are more conducive to good quality DVD playback. You should be fine until you decide you're not

Oh, and what's a Plama?

(Too many TiVos!)

Ad hoc, ad loc, and quid pro quo!
So little time! So much to know!
ashu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 08:01 PM   #1272
ashu
User title defunct

Quote:
Originally Posted by keshler
Thanks to all who answered my initial install questions. Am VERY happy with the unit.
1) Clock is set correctly and controls correctly internally but the display clock shows 1 hour behind actual. Assume this is a DST issue. Is there a way to correct this?
2) Any way to offset the time so recordings start 1 min prior to hour in Basic?
3) Would like to use my Cable Modem to update the grid. Tried a generic thumbnail USB adaptor and it was recognized but not supported. First are network upgrades available with Basic? Second if so, I see WUSB11's dare still available and reasonably priced but saw a few posts about the WUSB11 not being compatible with one of the upgrades. Has this been corrected?

4) THEORETICALLY speaking is there ANY way to transfer files (for editing prior to writing) to a PC using the network interface with Basic?. Know enough Linux to execute a program but am not skilled by any means. If so and it's not OK to discuss here feel free to PM me.
1. Hmm, I think you can set it to use DST only during Guided Setup? I've never bothered setting any of my 2 Toshibas in Basic mode (they were subscribed as soon as I powered them up!), but perhaps you can repeat GS andfind the option?

2. Hmm, record time offsets may be restricted to Plus service ... it's a software feature, after all.

3. Newer WUSB11s use a chipset that is unsupportd in Linux (closed source, closed minded manufacturers and all that jazz). Unlikely anything TiVo can do about it. Search elsewhere here for more updated info - if it works with ANY Seris2 unit, it'll work with the Tosh.

4. That's hacking talk. Even if WERE possible, discussing it is prohibited here.

Seriously, pay for service - well worth the 12ish monthly.

(Too many TiVos!)

Old 09-12-2006, 03:54 PM   #1273
rrr22777

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashu
Not even as good as my dirt-cheap Toshiba SDK-860 HDMI upconverter from Costco, and not even remotely comparable in PQ to just using a PC upconverting to 1920x1080 ... but the Toshiba RS-TX20 will do the job adequately.
So your Toshiba SDK-860 performs noticeably better then the RS-TX20?
rrr22777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 08:53 PM   #1274
ashu
User title defunct

B > A implies A < B. So yes.

The Tosh is an ordinary Progressive DVD player, won't blow your socks off with an HDTV. But for that matter, nothing but a TRUE Hi Def DVD player (HD DVD or BluRay) will. If you don't have a compelling reason (VCD, multi-region disc playback, DiVX/WMA file support) to own a new player, just make do with the Toshiba & wait for a combo HDDVD/BR player, should be out in about ... umm ... 24 months?

(Too many TiVos!)

Old 09-16-2006, 07:28 PM   #1275
jamesdelf

tx60 splits a show onto too many discs - why?

I have a tx60 and have been recording hockey games (usually 3hrs) with quite a bit of success. But sometimes the unit decides to spread one game across 3 or 4 discs and only put about 55-60 mins on a disc. I'm recording at best quality so usually get 2hrs on a disc. Sure, if I had over 4hrs of footage 3 discs is fine but it seems totally arbitrary how it decides to chop the one recording up. Is there anyway to control how the unit puts the shows onto disc? When does it decide to chop up the mpeg2 stream? Surely when dubbing to DVD.
Is it the brand and speed of the discs I'm recording to parrt of the problem? TDK-8x seems to be the worst offender if this is the case. Yet Memorex 16x I used back in Feb were just fine.
Is there some way to get into the underbelly of all this and really control the unit?
jamesdelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 07:33 PM   #1276
azitnay

Best quality only allows one hour per disc, not two hours. I believe this is an accurate list:

Best - 1 hour
High - 2 hours
Medium - 4 hours
Basic - 6 hours

So, if you want to get a hockey game on one disc, you should stick to Medium (which I'd imagine won't look too good in such a fast-paced game). High might be a good compromise between quality and number of discs (hopefully only two).

Drew
azitnay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 01:57 PM   #1277
mindstorm

Keep lifetime sub on RS-TX?

I recently got an S3 and I currenlty have lifetime subs on my RS-TX and on a "regular" Series 2 tivo. Is there any advantage to keeping the lieftime on the RS-TX vs the Series 2 (or vice versa)? Will the RS-TX revert back to "Basic Tivo" operation if I don't continue the monthly subscription after a year (if you transfer a LT sub to a S3, the unit that previously had the LT is given a free year of subscription service). Just wondering which one is the best to keep the LT sub on.

TIA
mindstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 03:38 PM   #1278
windracer
joined the 10k club

I'm in a similar situation, except I don't actually have an S3 yet.

I'm thinking I will transfer the lifetime from the TX20 since, like you said, it will just revert back to TiVo Basic and still have some usefulness after it's extra year of lifetime expires. The S2 with lifetime is worth more on eBay ... once it doesn't have lifetime, it's not worth much (especially since new boxes are so cheap now).

|
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 04:06 PM   #1279
ashu
User title defunct

Quote:
Originally Posted by windracer
I'm in a similar situation, except I don't actually have an S3 yet.

I'm thinking I will transfer the lifetime from the TX20 since, like you said, it will just revert back to TiVo Basic and still have some usefulness after it's extra year of lifetime expires. The S2 with lifetime is worth more on eBay ... once it doesn't have lifetime, it's not worth much (especially since new boxes are so cheap now).
+1

What's your S3 ETA? Mine's more of an ATO (Afford To Own) of $500ish
Of course, by then Lifetime Transfers may be gone

(Too many TiVos!)

Old 09-24-2006, 06:54 PM   #1280
regularguy

I'm thinking of biting the bullet and buying the S-3... and my first HDTV... AND a new DVD (but not HD yet).

I have a lifetime Tivo contract that I would transfer ($200???? Jeez!), and I seem to recall that the Toshiba has a bare-bones non-Tivo scheduling utility built in. If I hand the Toshiba down to my frugal college-student son, will he be able make use of it without being saddled with a monthly Tivo payment?
regularguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 07:24 PM   #1281
windracer
joined the 10k club

Yes, the Toshibas have TiVo Basic service. So, if you transfer your Lifetime service to a new S3 (before 12/31/06) you'll still have a year of TiVo Plus service for free on the Toshiba. After that, it will revert back to month-to-month, at which time you can cancel the service and it will downgrade to TiVo Basic, which is free.

Keep in mind, though, that TiVo Basic only gives you three days of Guide data, no Season Passes, no WishList, no internet apps, Music & Photos, etc. It's basically just a somewhat smarter digital VCR.

|
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 10:25 PM   #1282
megazone
Hardcore TiVo Geek

Toshiba and Pioneer units all have TiVo Basic, and if you remove the TiVo Plus they do revert.

|
|
|
megazone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 12:00 PM   #1283
SammyKan

RS-TX20 crashes when burning DVD

Does anyone else have a problem where the DVR crashes during the burning process? Sometimes it works great for months and then there are times when practically every attempt at a DVD burn causes it to crash. Sometimes the saving simply fails and sometimes the whole system crashes. I haven't been able to figure out what the issue is. I have tried different brands of DVDs (all DVD-R) without any significant change.

Thanks for your help.

Sammy
SammyKan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 09:45 PM   #1284
markabtex
Experienced DVR User

Save yourself the grief and only use DVD-RW discs. I use Maxell brand and have never had a problem. I also have had the "Save Failed Due To Internal Error" problem using DVD-R (all brands). If you want to save a program permanently, just copy it to DVD-R using your computer. DVD-RW aren't that expensive. You can usually find them on sale for about $7 for a spindle of 15 at Office Depot, Office Max, or Circuit City.
markabtex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 10:54 PM   #1285
Chester_Lampwick

Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyKan
Does anyone else have a problem where the DVR crashes during the burning process? Sometimes it works great for months and then there are times when practically every attempt at a DVD burn causes it to crash. Sometimes the saving simply fails and sometimes the whole system crashes. I haven't been able to figure out what the issue is. I have tried different brands of DVDs (all DVD-R) without any significant change.

Thanks for your help.

Sammy
Any time I've had a save failed, it was something about the specific episode. For those problem recordings I transfer through the network and make the DVD with my computer...
Old 10-03-2006, 01:54 PM   #1286
STEELERSRULE

Anyone,

I can get a Toshiba TX-20 from a local Mom and Pop store on closeout for $101 total.

I know I can download the manual online for it(I think), but i may have to buy a remote from Toshiba. They think they lost it, but if i get it, we are going to search high and low for it.

Would you take this unit at this price?

Also, anyone know how much a replacement remote is for the Toshiba TX-20?

Also, I thought I read that the TIVO basic offered on this unit(which I like by the way, unless someone can post me to a printout for a rebate on this unit if I got LIFETIME put on it) is going to be stopped or discontinued.

Is this true, or is it BS?

Maybe I misread that somewhere, but I thought something about these units is being put too a stop with either the TIVO basic or something else. I can't remember.

Maybe it was something to do with the cards you can buy at Best Buy for like 3 months/6months/Lifetime of service paid. Like they would no longer be able to be applied to this unit and some others.

I don't know.

Any type of guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thax in advance.
STEELERSRULE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 02:02 PM   #1287
ashu
User title defunct

101? Buy it! Remote will cost around $35, someone posted a link recently (here or in the DRT800 thread) At 136+remote shipping you'll save bunches over teh ebay price on these bad boys!

As for Basic - BS rumors. It'll always be around!

No idea about prepaid cards.

(Too many TiVos!)

Old 10-03-2006, 02:34 PM   #1288
azitnay

Remote for $24.58 + $9.75 shipping = $34.33 (currently listed as not in stock):
http://www.pacparts.com/electronics/part.cfm
Manufacturer: Toshiba
Part No: AH801151

Remote for $49 (free shipping):
http://www.weaknees.com/tivo-dvd-remote.php

Manuals (under "Product Manuals"):
http://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-RS-TX2...&s=electronics

Drew
azitnay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 02:43 PM   #1289
Chester_Lampwick

Okay, the manual shows TiVo Basic, so which is it?
Old 10-03-2006, 02:48 PM   #1290
ashu
User title defunct

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chester_Lampwick
Okay, the manual shows TiVo Basic, so which is it?
What on earth do you mean?

Basic is available for free, and regular TiVo service (as an optional bu HIGHLY recommended add-on) for 12.95 pm or 6.95 with MSD if this isn't your only subbed TiVo (one unit on account has to be Lifetimed or at full rate - 12.95)

Oh, and SteelersSuck, I doubt you can get a rebate for a non retail box version without a barcode and full-price (or close) cost price receipt. Wouldn't that be an awesome deal, though ... $150 rebate on $154 annual fees? And on a $136 unit!

(Too many TiVos!)