TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Forum Extras > DVD TiVo Units (Archive)
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-31-2006, 10:02 AM   #1201
corky1

One last thing I am going to try is to split my cable and bypass the digital HD Set top box and feed the rstx20 with cable from the wall. Perhaps its the set top box inbetween causing the lousy picture quality. I currently have the tivo fed from the box via svideo, and the tivo to the tv via component. I plan on trying wall to tivo, tivo to tv.

I'll let you know!
corky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 10:10 AM   #1202
corky1

Quote:
Originally Posted by corky1
One last thing I am going to try is to split my cable and bypass the digital HD Set top box and feed the rstx20 with cable from the wall. Perhaps its the set top box inbetween causing the lousy picture quality. I currently have the tivo fed from the box via svideo, and the tivo to the tv via component. I plan on trying wall to tivo, tivo to tv.

I'll let you know!

I have been thinking about this, and I don't think it will work, if I put a splitter and feed the tivo directly, what will change channels?
Old 07-31-2006, 11:12 AM   #1203
azitnay

If you want to switch from using a cable box to not using a cable box, you'll need to rerun Guided Setup.

Drew
azitnay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 12:41 PM   #1204
corky1

Quote:
Originally Posted by azitnay
If you want to switch from using a cable box to not using a cable box, you'll need to rerun Guided Setup.

Drew
And how will channel changing work? Do you feel running without a cable box will improve picture quality?
Old 07-31-2006, 12:47 PM   #1205
azitnay

The TiVo will use its internal tuner to change channels instead of sending channel changes to the cable box via IR or serial.

As long as you're willing to live without the ability to record premium and digital channels, it's a much better setup overall, since you're taking the somewhat klunky IR or serial connection out of the picture... But I don't see why it would improve picture quality.

Drew
Old 07-31-2006, 01:27 PM   #1206
corky1

Quote:
The TiVo will use its internal tuner to change channels instead of sending channel changes to the cable box via IR or serial.

As long as you're willing to live without the ability to record premium and digital channels, it's a much better setup overall, since you're taking the somewhat klunky IR or serial connection out of the picture... But I don't see why it would improve picture quality.

Drew

So will I need to use multiple remotes? Or will the toshiba remote "talk" directly to my cable box? any quick way to see if it would improve picture quality without re running setup?
Old 07-31-2006, 01:31 PM   #1207
azitnay

If you go with this setup, you won't be using the cable box at all, so there will be no need for anything to "talk" to it.

Unless you mean during those times when you want to watch something only available on the cable box... In that case, yes, you'd have to use your cable box's remote.

I believe you can change your video source without running Guided Setup by going to TiVo Central -> Messages & Settings -> Settings -> Video -> Video Hookup... That should allow you to at least see how it looks through the RF connector, though you'll still have to rerun GS if you want to take the cable box out of the equation for real.

Drew
Old 07-31-2006, 04:43 PM   #1208
corky1

Hmmmmmmmm

Quote:
If you go with this setup, you won't be using the cable box at all, so there will be no need for anything to "talk" to it.

Unless you mean during those times when you want to watch something only available on the cable box... In that case, yes, you'd have to use your cable box's remote.

I believe you can change your video source without running Guided Setup by going to TiVo Central -> Messages & Settings -> Settings -> Video -> Video Hookup... That should allow you to at least see how it looks through the RF connector, though you'll still have to rerun GS if you want to take the cable box out of the equation for real.

Drew
I wonder if it's all worthit, since I watch 99% HD, I just wish this darn thing made decent off the air recordings that I could watch! Someone told me it has to do with the fact that the digital signal from the cable box has to be compressed in order for the toshiba to record it? Whatever the case, the darkness is unwatchable!
Old 08-01-2006, 12:22 AM   #1209
kvmwildcat

Question Toshiba repair service or WeaKnees replacement??

My RS-TX20 started to "lose" my Tivo settings, recordings, Season Passes, etc. Tried rebooting, unplugging, waiting two days and holding my breath, etc., and as a last resort ran the "clear settings and delete everything" option.

Unit then sat on the "clearing and deleting everything, may take up to an hour" screen for 48 hours. Unplugged, rebooted, etc., and after it cycles through the welcome screen, goes right back to the "clearing and deleting" routine.

My call to Toshiba resulted in them telling me to ship it to them and have "repair" done for $139. According to them, I should have called as soon as I noticed the data was being deleted or lost (a gasp from the service tech when I told her I ran the clear and delete everything option...).

Does the problem sound like a corrupt drive, and if so, would a WeeKnees replacement drive kit solve this problem? I would rather replace myself with a nice new HDD and get it back to working order sooner than ground shipping all the way across the country to Toshiba will allow.

Anybody with the same problem? Any info would be great. -- Thanks!
kvmwildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 05:18 PM   #1210
timckelley
TCFer

My boss's daughter has a Toshiba with DVD burner, and she's had to send it in for warranty repair 5 times! She just got it back again, and is about to test it to see if it finally works. She's frustrated because her TiVo spends so much time in the shop, that she misses her shows.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Tracy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- slydog75

- Bryanmc
timckelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 06:04 PM   #1211
Dan203
Super Moderator

I have one of these as well and I don't really like it. It's by far the slowest TiVo I have ever used, and has needed to be sent in for repair twice in the year or so I've had it. At this point I've pretty much relinquished it to being a DVD player and a backup which is only used when absolutely needed.

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 06:49 PM   #1212
corky1

Bummer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203
I have one of these as well and I don't really like it. It's by far the slowest TiVo I have ever used, and has needed to be sent in for repair twice in the year or so I've had it. At this point I've pretty much relinquished it to being a DVD player and a backup which is only used when absolutely needed.

Dan
I wish I had read all this before spending my hard earned cash on this piece of junk, as far as I am concerned the crushed blacks make it unusable as a tivo, it's an expensive dvd player!
Old 08-02-2006, 07:13 PM   #1213
windracer
joined the 10k club

I've had my TX20 for over a year now ... not a single problem with it. The picture looks fine on my 42" plasma (taking into account my crappy analog basic cable) using component out. I love having trickplay while watching DVDs. But yes, it is the slowest of my three TiVos.

I guess I've been lucky with my box.

|
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 07:19 AM   #1214
corky1

Analog

Quote:
Originally Posted by windracer
I've had my TX20 for over a year now ... not a single problem with it. The picture looks fine on my 42" plasma (taking into account my crappy analog basic cable) using component out. I love having trickplay while watching DVDs. But yes, it is the slowest of my three TiVos.

I guess I've been lucky with my box.

Digital cable seems to be the problem
Old 08-03-2006, 07:36 AM   #1215
EvilMidniteBombr
what bomz at midnite

Just curious. For all of you that have had problems with your TiVo units and have had to send them off for repairs. Were you able to get credit from TiVo for your downtime or did you have to pay for the service anyway?

FYI... I still haven't had any significant problems with my RS-TX. Aside from being too dark (adjusted TV settings for that) and having to reboot it once after it locked up. Other than that, I love it.
EvilMidniteBombr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 08:39 AM   #1216
corky1

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilMidniteBombr
Just curious. For all of you that have had problems with your TiVo units and have had to send them off for repairs. Were you able to get credit from TiVo for your downtime or did you have to pay for the service anyway?

FYI... I still haven't had any significant problems with my RS-TX. Aside from being too dark (adjusted TV settings for that) and having to reboot it once after it locked up. Other than that, I love it.

Share with us all how you were able to adjust your tv settings to compensate for the dark picture! Using my Samsung DLP, and componant cables, I don't think you can adjust much.
Old 08-03-2006, 09:09 AM   #1217
windracer
joined the 10k club

Quote:
Share with us all how you were able to adjust your tv settings to compensate for the dark picture! Using my Samsung DLP, and componant cables, I don't think you can adjust much.
I used Avia to adjust the settings on my 42" Panny plasma.

|
Old 08-03-2006, 11:02 AM   #1218
EvilMidniteBombr
what bomz at midnite

Quote:
It was nothing special. I just messed with the brightness and contrast settings until the picture was satisfactory. My TV is a RCA 32" tube that's almost 10 years old. So I don't have the picture quality that today's TV's have.
EvilMidniteBombr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 08:40 PM   #1219
Newspix100

New Tx-20?

I came across a floor model tx-20 tonight at a local store that I can grab for $100. No cables, no remote but I already use a Harmony so that shouldn't be a problem. I don't really need another TIVO ( I have two), but thought it might be nice to have an integrated burner. What do you guys think?

DT
Newspix100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 09:44 PM   #1220
windracer
joined the 10k club

The TX-20s have TiVo Basic, so you could use it as a VCR replacement without paying a monthly fee for TiVo Plus. You'd get three days of Guide data, basic manual recordings, and a DVD player. Not a bad deal ... I'd probably snag it.

|
Old 08-09-2006, 10:06 AM   #1221
cojonesdetoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newspix100
I came across a floor model tx-20 tonight at a local store that I can grab for $100. No cables, no remote but I already use a Harmony so that shouldn't be a problem. I don't really need another TIVO ( I have two), but thought it might be nice to have an integrated burner. What do you guys think?

DT
Jump on it. It's a steal.
cojonesdetoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 10:08 AM   #1222
cojonesdetoro

BTW, I have an RS-TX20 with a 300GB disk and it seems to work fine. it's a little slower than the original 120GB but not all that bad.

What's the largest drive anyone has put in this unit? I'm considering going up to 500GB.
Old 08-12-2006, 06:59 AM   #1223
Rodney
TiVo'd since 9/17/01

Quote:
It's by far the slowest TiVo I have ever used
You must not have an HR10-250. Now that is the slowest TiVo I use. The RS-TX20 is next, though.
Count me in with the lucky ones, I have not had to send it in for repair. Though a friend of mine has the same unit and she had to ship hers to Toshiba.
3 TiVo Premieres expanded to 318 HD hours
1 Roamio Pro w/lifetime
Rodney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 12:37 PM   #1224
LarryMus

My RS-TX20 Remote has vanished...

... and I have no idea what the part number is. Can anyone out there fill me in on the model number of this remote control so I can order a new one. thanks!
LarryMus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 12:46 PM   #1225
azitnay

As long as you don't mind the fact that it says Humax and not Toshiba (they're identical otherwise), you can buy this one:

http://www.weaknees.com/tivo-dvd-remote.php

Drew
Old 08-13-2006, 01:09 PM   #1226
LarryMus

Thanks Drew. If all else fails I'll go ahead and purchase the Humax remote. But I'd at least like to try and get a Toshiba remote first. I've found a place that claims to have some in stock out here in Los Angeles but I just wanted to be certian the model number's matched before I make the purchase.
Old 08-13-2006, 01:16 PM   #1227
cojonesdetoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodney
You must not have an HR10-250. Now that is the slowest TiVo I use. The RS-TX20 is next, though.
The slowest I have seen was my stock HDR312 Series 1 after I put 2 120GB drives in it and filled it with recordings. However, upgrading main memory to 32MB and putiing in the cache card made it very responsive. My TX20 is bearable with a 300GB drive but not as fast as the enhanced HDR312. Of course, the 312 also uses an OS with less features and presumably, less lines of code.
Old 08-13-2006, 04:51 PM   #1228
windracer
joined the 10k club

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryMus
Can anyone out there fill me in on the model number of this remote control so I can order a new one.
There're a bunch of numbers on the circuit board of mine:

- RB35A
- SPCA-00037-000
- 2DC-01800

Hope one of those helps.

|
Old 08-13-2006, 06:09 PM   #1229
LarryMus

The model number I got from pacparts.com is AH801151
Can anyone confirm?

Last edited by LarryMus : 08-13-2006 at 06:21 PM.
Old 08-14-2006, 07:18 AM   #1230
Bimwad

An informal poll:

Is your TX-20/60 slower after the 7.3.x update?

Mine is pathetically slow during live channel changes, using the Guide (which was never fast to begin with), slower to bring up the NP screen...and on and on. The net effect is that the lag between a command and response is almost unacceptable.

And it's even worse if you use it in Basic mode, because none of the new features are of any benefit, yet the negative effects like the poor response, and non-sensical changes like going from "Pick Programs to Record" to "Find Programs" in the main menu are foisted upon what was a well-functioning machine before. I think it would be almost better if TiVo omitted Basic machines from any future updates altogether, if subsequent software updates are going to be like 7.3.
Bimwad is offline   Reply With Quote