TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Forum Extras > DVD TiVo Units (Archive)
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-18-2006, 10:41 AM   #1111
corky1

Help!

I just purchased the Tohsiba RS-tx20. I'm not good at wiring and setting up stuff and would really appreciate someone telling me what cables/wires go where!

Here is what I am trying to use with the Toshiba:

Time Warner Cable Box Explorer 3250HD
Samsung HLN 4760 DLP TV
Bose Freeplay Audio System

Two other basic questions;

Can I use by Harmony 656 remote?

If your program the Toshiba to record a program can you watcy another channel at the same time?

Thanks in advance for any and all help!
corky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 12:25 PM   #1112
EvilMidniteBombr
what bomz at midnite

Quote:
Originally Posted by corky1
If your program the Toshiba to record a program can you watcy another channel at the same time?
Short answer, no. But you can record live TV and watch anything on your now playing list or a DVD.

If you have another signal (via splitter or VCR) coming into your TV you can watch a different channel while recording with the TiVo.
EvilMidniteBombr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 06:52 PM   #1113
ashu
User title defunct

And the Harmony (any, not just the 656) will control this with no problem.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Too many TiVos!)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ad hoc, ad loc, and quid pro quo!
So little time! So much to know!
ashu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 09:28 PM   #1114
corky1

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilMidniteBombr
Short answer, no. But you can record live TV and watch anything on your now playing list or a DVD.

If you have another signal (via splitter or VCR) coming into your TV you can watch a different channel while recording with the TiVo.

According to the owners manual, you can!
you put the dms in standby mode, the signal in standby mode bypasses the tivo so you can watch one channel while recording another.
Old 06-19-2006, 10:08 PM   #1115
azitnay

Actually, I believe you don't even have to put the unit in standby on this particular model -- the RF output is passthrough-only.

This only applies for cable without box or antenna, of course.

Drew
azitnay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 10:44 PM   #1116
corky1

Quote:
Originally Posted by azitnay
Actually, I believe you don't even have to put the unit in standby on this particular model -- the RF output is passthrough-only.

This only applies for cable without box or antenna, of course.

Drew

Drew,

Sorry to ask a newbie question, but I use a Time Warner HD Box, so when you say this only applies for cable with box or antenna, can you explain?

Thanks in advance,

David
Old 06-20-2006, 02:01 PM   #1117
Mikeguy

Compatability of Office Depot DVD-RW 4x DVDs?

I just got a nice deal on some Office Depot DVD-RW 4x DVDs, and only noticed that they were 4x disks when I took the disks home.

Have others had success with these? (I believe they may be made by Ridata.) When I spoke with Toshiba just now, they told me that only 1-2x DVD-RWs will work, but I don't have much confidence in the rep.'s advice (she seemed to be guessing from the manual) and it appears that others have had success with 4x re-recordable disks here.

Thanks for the help--
Mikeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 10:05 AM   #1118
ber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeguy
I just got a nice deal on some Office Depot DVD-RW 4x DVDs, and only noticed that they were 4x disks when I took the disks home.

Have others had success with these? (I believe they may be made by Ridata.) When I spoke with Toshiba just now, they told me that only 1-2x DVD-RWs will work, but I don't have much confidence in the rep.'s advice (she seemed to be guessing from the manual) and it appears that others have had success with 4x re-recordable disks here.

Thanks for the help--
I think you should probably be fine with those discs....in short....most of them will work....a few may result in disc failures....but given that they are RW you shall be all set...then you should still make out well.....Toshiba seems to use the 1-2X excuse every time users encounter burn errors....report back on how they are working and good luck
ber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 11:45 AM   #1119
Mikeguy

Thanks for the advice. Office Depot seems to have a money-back guarantee, and so I'm just tempted to open up a package and try a disc out.

But if anyone has had experience with these, please just drop a post. Thanks--
Old 06-22-2006, 10:42 PM   #1120
corky1

Newbie question

TIME WARNER SCIENTIFIC ATLANTA 3250HD

Do I need to leave the cable box on all the time? Or will the TX-RS20 turn it on via the ir cable to record a show?
Old 06-22-2006, 11:07 PM   #1121
corky1

HD question

Using a scientific atlanta 3250HD with the RS-TX20 and a Samsung DLP HD TV, will I still be able to receive the High Def channels?
Old 06-22-2006, 11:19 PM   #1122
ashu
User title defunct

Leave. Everything. On. Always.

Series2 TiVos (like the RS-X20) can't record HD. Feed it the SVideo cable from your cable box.

(Too many TiVos!)

Old 06-23-2006, 08:14 AM   #1123
corky1

one more question

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashu

Series2 TiVos (like the RS-X20) can't record HD. Feed it the SVideo cable from your cable box.
when routing the signal, cable box to toshiba to tv, will I still be able to watch live hd using componant cables?
Old 06-23-2006, 08:52 AM   #1124
ashu
User title defunct

Quote:
when routing the signal, cable box to toshiba to tv, will I still be able to watch live hd using componant cables?
Yup. Just be sure not to change channels on the box when your TiVo 'thinks' it is recording something!

Also watch out for TiVo-enforced channel switches during HD viewing time. (I just start watching an SD-recorded show off the TiVo at such times)

(Too many TiVos!)

Old 06-23-2006, 09:18 AM   #1125
corky1

Thanks!

Quote:
Yup. Just be sure not to change channels on the box when your TiVo 'thinks' it is recording something!

Also watch out for TiVo-enforced channel switches during HD viewing time. (I just start watching an SD-recorded show off the TiVo at such times)

I am goint to "attempt" to hook this all up tomorow! I am really bad at this kind of stuff, hope I can figure it all out!! What is "SD-recorded show"???

I use a Bose freestyle audio system, plan on using an optical audio cable from the tx20 to the Bose, will I have to leave the bose system on all the time, or can the remote be "taught" to turn on the Bose with the TV?
Old 06-23-2006, 11:21 AM   #1126
ashu
User title defunct

Your TiVo records in Standard Definition (SD)

You certainly DON'T have to leave the Bose on. Your audio and display are the only things that should ever be turned off/on in the entire setup.

Not sure about powering on the Bose witht he TiVo. In addition to a bunch of fancy skulduggery (the kind that amkes most audiophiles cringe) that that company engages in to sell their products, they also often use RF (Radio Freq.) remotes. Most remotes (including all TiVo remotes) only do IR (InfraRed)

(Too many TiVos!)

Old 06-23-2006, 11:57 AM   #1127
EvilMidniteBombr
what bomz at midnite

Quote:
According to the owners manual, you can!
you put the dms in standby mode, the signal in standby mode bypasses the tivo so you can watch one channel while recording another.
But if you connect as such: wall --> cable box --> Tivo --> TV

You cannot change channels on the cable box without messing up your recording. If you split the signal before the cable box and run it to a VCR or into the TV and use the component or S-video inputs to connect the TiVo to your TV you can watch whatever you want (in non-HD or digital). You'll just have to use the TV or VCR to change channels.

If you connect: wall --> TiVo --> TV

You can record w/ Tivo and just watch TV by changing the channels on the TV via the passthrough connection.
Old 06-23-2006, 01:54 PM   #1128
corky1

Quote:
Your TiVo records in Standard Definition (SD)

You certainly DON'T have to leave the Bose on. Your audio and display are the only things that should ever be turned off/on in the entire setup.

Not sure about powering on the Bose witht he TiVo. In addition to a bunch of fancy skulduggery (the kind that amkes most audiophiles cringe) that that company engages in to sell their products, they also often use RF (Radio Freq.) remotes. Most remotes (including all TiVo remotes) only do IR (InfraRed)

Actually the Bose Freestyle does use IR, I currently control it with a Harmony 659 universal remote.
Old 06-23-2006, 01:56 PM   #1129
corky1

Quote:
But if you connect as such: wall --> cable box --> Tivo --> TV

You cannot change channels on the cable box without messing up your recording. If you split the signal before the cable box and run it to a VCR or into the TV and use the component or S-video inputs to connect the TiVo to your TV you can watch whatever you want (in non-HD or digital). You'll just have to use the TV or VCR to change channels.

If you connect: wall --> TiVo --> TV

You can record w/ Tivo and just watch TV by changing the channels on the TV via the passthrough connection.

Using the first scanario, wall -->cable box ---> Tivo --- TV

can I use the pass thru and just use a coax cable to say "antenna" on the tv and then use that input? Will I be able to change channels with the tivo remote then?
Old 06-23-2006, 02:31 PM   #1130
EvilMidniteBombr
what bomz at midnite

Quote:
Using the first scanario, wall -->cable box ---> Tivo --- TV

can I use the pass thru and just use a coax cable to say "antenna" on the tv and then use that input? Will I be able to change channels with the tivo remote then?
I don't think so. In this cases your TiVo is using the cable box as it's source signal. Whatever channel that cable box is on is what your TiVo is seeing and recording. Once you are recording you cannot change the TiVo channel. You can change the cable box channel but the TiVo will blindly record whatever channel you change to. As far as it knows, it's still recording the same show.

I am not 100% on this but if you connect cable box to the Tivo and the pass through output to the input of the TV you may be able to use the TV to tune channels and surf while the TiVo is recording off of the cable box. (This is assuming that you also have the TiVo connected to the TV using one of the other signal outputs for viewing the cable box thru the TiVo)

You would need to get advice from those that use a cable box for their setup. Mine is not set up that way and therefor I am not able to give an answer based on experience.

Do I have you totally confused?
Old 06-23-2006, 03:58 PM   #1131
ashu
User title defunct

Quote:
Do I have you totally confused?
You expanded my (in retrospect) statement about the Cbale box changing channels to something else when the TiVo 'thinks' it is recording something.

I've one-upped that situation - my cable box is also a DVR! So if it has a scheduled recording set to change channels, a simultaneous TiVo recording may not be on the right channel!

(Too many TiVos!)

Old 06-24-2006, 11:00 PM   #1132
corky1

Need remote code help

I can't get the toshiba tivo remote to control my bose freestyle av system.

The Harmony remote did, so I know it's an IF code, but the code listed did not work!

H E LP!!
Old 06-25-2006, 12:45 AM   #1133
toshitivo

Yes, the Office Depot DVD-RW 4x DVDs work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeguy
Thanks for the advice. Office Depot seems to have a money-back guarantee, and so I'm just tempted to open up a package and try a disc out.

But if anyone has had experience with these, please just drop a post. Thanks--

I picked up some of the same Office Depot DVD-RW 4x this week also, and the two DVD's I've burned so far on the RS-TX20 have worked fine, no problems.
toshitivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 08:29 AM   #1134
EvilMidniteBombr
what bomz at midnite

Quote:
You expanded my (in retrospect) statement about the Cbale box changing channels to something else when the TiVo 'thinks' it is recording something.

I've one-upped that situation - my cable box is also a DVR! So if it has a scheduled recording set to change channels, a simultaneous TiVo recording may not be on the right channel!
I'm just glad that I am not using a cable box.
Old 06-25-2006, 10:54 AM   #1135
corky1

Quote:

Got it all hooked up! Used S Video to feed the cable to the TX20. Still cant find the remote code for the Bose! Thats a bummer, BUT the biggest issue is picture quality. I'm using componant cables from the tx20 to my Samsung DLP HDTV, and the picture quality is comprimised, especially on HD Channels, as opposed to cable box direct to tv!!

HD used to be crisp and awesome, now it's just a tad better than digital!

I'm not sure if I want to sacrifice Picture quality.....
Old 06-25-2006, 07:34 PM   #1136
Mikeguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by to****ivo
I picked up some of the same Office Depot DVD-RW 4x this week also, and the two DVD's I've burned so far on the RS-TX20 have worked fine, no problems.
Isn't the Internet a great thing, to get an answer to a particular question like this?

Thanks for the advice, and I'll start using them now!
Old 06-25-2006, 10:45 PM   #1137
corky1

HD question

Quote:
My HD quality sucks using component from the tx to the tv, would SVideo do better?
Old 06-25-2006, 11:33 PM   #1138
ashu
User title defunct

Umm, once it goes 'through' your TiVo, it has been re-encoded to SD (yes, even for Live TV) and is no longer HD. So if it's only barely better than digital, you should be happy.

When using a Series 2 (SD) TiVo, ALL your HD viewing has to be DIRECTLY from the Cbale Box over Component (or, better yet, HDMI/DVI) to your display. Live (shudder)

And join the clamoring for a quick release of the Series 3 HD-capable TiVo

(Too many TiVos!)

Old 06-26-2006, 01:20 AM   #1139
Autosound

Just wanted to say hi to all the RS-TX owners and to let you know I'm a proud owner of a TX-20 w/lifetime. I have to say, this is a rediculously long thread.
Autosound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 08:25 AM   #1140
corky1

Cpnfused

Quote:
Umm, once it goes 'through' your TiVo, it has been re-encoded to SD (yes, even for Live TV) and is no longer HD. So if it's only barely better than digital, you should be happy.

When using a Series 2 (SD) TiVo, ALL your HD viewing has to be DIRECTLY from the Cbale Box over Component (or, better yet, HDMI/DVI) to your display. Live (shudder)

And join the clamoring for a quick release of the Series 3 HD-capable TiVo
So .... in order to "watch" live HD I need to add another cable from the cable box to a seperate input on the tv, and then select that input when watching?
What does "SD" stand for?