TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Forum Extras > DVD TiVo Units (Archive)
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-29-2005, 09:32 PM   #931
Goods

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaccaMucca
I had the same issue. Unplug, remove the power to the unit, for 8+ hours and give it another shot. See my theory #1, in my earlier post.

I need to unplug my unit again, it is turning out coasters.
Thanks. Tried it and so far 2 good burns.
Goods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 12:10 AM   #932
FrankNL

Smile RS-TX20 DVD problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesy
Hello folks,

This is my first post here but I have read every post on my unit, the RS-TX20, before posting this.

I've had my unit for about 8 months or so and have been relatively happy. Just one month ago I switched from basic to plus service, and I like the added features. The feature I DON"T like, that has come to bug me recently, is similar to one I've read affecting many others -- the DVD recording problem. But my problem seems a little more broad. If I put a commercial CD or DVD in the DVD drive, it isn't recognized. If I put a DVD-R or DVD-RW that I recorded some weeks back into the drive, it won't recognize those either. And finally, if I try to save a program to DVD, it never even gets started.

In each of the above scenarios, when I insert the disk and close the drawer, it tries to load. I hear a faint mechanical sound from the drive every 5 seconds or so -- sounds like it's trying to engae the disk but not successfully. Eventually it sorta times out and it stops.

My firmware upgraded to 7.2.1 on 13 Nov, and I recorded a few DVDs since that time, but today it all died rapidly. I've tried restsrts, power-down restarts, and am besdide myself trying to figure out what to try next.

I see lots of notes from others plagued by flaky DVD recording since recent firmware changes, but I haven't heard anyone else say that they couldn't get a previous good disk to load. My gut tells me the DVD drive may have "burnt-out" but it still seems to be talking to the firmware at a certain level.

So, my frantic question is -- is there anything I could try next? Has anyone else had problems getting commercial DVDs and CDs to load?

I haven't called any tech or customer support lines yet, but that may be the next step. But there seems to be a lot of smart and sharing folks here I thought I'd talk to first....

Any ideas??

Larry
Hi Larry

I had the same problem. Called Toshiba, who told me that although it was outside their three month warranty period (what kind of warranty is that, just enough to get it out of the box) they would make an exception and pay for the repair and parts. I sent it to them and they replaced the DVD writer as well as the Hard disk. Got the unit back in ten days. Great service. It has version 5.4 on it now, I presume it will update itself soon... Oh, joy!

Frank
FrankNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 12:19 AM   #933
FrankNL

Big Grin To standby or not to standby

All

I tend to just turn off the TV but not put the RS-TX20 in standby mode. Is there any reason to put it in standby mode apart from the obvious wear on the HD? (the unit would keep on recording the current channel to disk continuously).

The reason why I do not do it is plain old lazyness, it is too much effort to go into the menu, then to settings and then standby.... just a button on the remote would be nice.

Frank : confused:
Old 12-02-2005, 07:13 AM   #934
azitnay

Putting the unit in standby doesn't save on any HD wear... The unit still records the 30-minute buffer even when in standby.

Since the RS-TX units' RF is always passthrough-only, standby is often a useless feature on these boxes. One example of when you could use it is if you have the audio out directly connected to an always-on receiver, and you don't want the sound to continue to play after you turn the TV off. There are better ways IMO to take care of this situation, however.

I've never used the standby feature of any TiVo regularly.

Drew
azitnay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 08:26 AM   #935
ber

not again...yes again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goods
Just got 7.2.1 installed and tried burning a DVD. No go - "internal error" message. Does the "Reset DVD Settings" do anything beneficial?

This sucks.
Does anyone know for sure that 7.2.1 (which worked ok for a short while...and is now giving me coasters regularly) in fact was aimed at addressing the writing problems with the Toshiba DVR's....my sense now is that it was simply an interim release allowing for clipping, etc....but did not address the burn/internal error problems....

My problem is just with 8X discs....i am frustrated...so from now on in...it will be a two step process to archive....(1) burn onto my sony 2x dvd-rw's,...which burn fine .(2) then put that disc into the computer and burn onto the much cheaper 8x dvd-r's.

How is everyone else doing that saw some interim improvement with 7.2.1?

Thanks
ber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 08:40 AM   #936
azitnay

I know people claimed phone support reps told them "an upcoming software update" would address the burning issues, but I don't think I've never seen anyone official from TiVo claim the same on these boards.

I believe the main bug 7.2.1 addressed was the "stutter on resume from pause" problem on 140 boxes.

Drew
Old 12-02-2005, 09:40 AM   #937
slyone

Off topic slightly: If you were to ask me, I would simply say that the Toshiba/Tivo boxes are the worst bug laden electronics I have ever seen! Ya know all the Microsoft bashing over the years..haha I have NEVER had such a pc. of crap though it may be both Tivo and Toshiba at fault here (software is terrible and hardware isn't much better) For me luckily, I was able to pick these up (2 in house) for $100.00 ea. still seems like a waste of almost $300.00 (with extended warranties-Thank God I got that anyways!) Frankly I am extremely displeased and surprised just how awful the performance and operation of these are. Maybe the folks writing the software code are the flunkies who didn't work out at Microsoft? I don't have too much use for the writer since my PC will blow the doors off anything else(hardware or software). I do like the convenience (esp. for the kids) of the DVR concept/abilities but could certainly see how Tivo could lose customers' too other competing factions. Just my .02 so far...These units will go thru a "start-up procedure at random, when you least expect it but usually when you become extremely interested in a particuliar broadcast or pc. of news and you miss it, or the new problem is it has started freezing and you have to unplug it for a minute to continue operation! Worst of all is we are just suppose to accept this unbelievable annoyance and live with it! It baffles me in todays technically advanced times that a product can not achieve "BASIC OPERATION" esp. from the Co. who is supposed to be one of the originators of that particuliar technology. I had to wait for a software fix which seems to have done nothing except bring more annoting problems and bugs. They (Tivo) seem to not care but should probably bring in some real software developers to fix these problems.

Last edited by slyone : 12-02-2005 at 09:54 AM. Reason: Additional comments
slyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 12:05 PM   #938
alanpgh

I guess I've been lucky. I've had an RS-TX20 since it came on the market. No problems with the Tivo or the DVD Recorder functions. Just my 2 cents.

Alan
alanpgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 07:37 PM   #939
jklma

Freeze problems

I have experienced similar problems. My guess is ...it seems to happen when the hard drive is full or close to capacity . I wish there was an indicator of some sort or even something similar to a low battery indicator flashing on the unit or TV screen. Seemed to happen more when I first received the latest firmware update.
jklma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 10:50 PM   #940
slyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by jklma
I have experienced similar problems. My guess is ...it seems to happen when the hard drive is full or close to capacity . I wish there was an indicator of some sort or even something similar to a low battery indicator flashing on the unit or TV screen. Seemed to happen more when I first received the latest firmware update.
I don't believe it has anything to do with a full hdd. (been there/done that=no problem) Mine started (has only done the freeze a couple times) since latest S/W update. I'm glad I got the Xtended warr.! I don't think these are available anymore are they? If replacement wonder what they (BestBuy) might offer?
slyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 12:55 AM   #941
SystemJinx
(o_0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanpgh
I guess I've been lucky. I've had an RS-TX20 since it came on the market. No problems with the Tivo or the DVD Recorder functions. Just my 2 cents.

Alan
X2

MY RS-TX20 has worked flawlessly since day one. No bad burns and no freezing.
SystemJinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 01:12 AM   #942
FrankNL

30 minute buffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by azitnay
Putting the unit in standby doesn't save on any HD wear... The unit still records the 30-minute buffer even when in standby.

Since the RS-TX units' RF is always passthrough-only, standby is often a useless feature on these boxes. One example of when you could use it is if you have the audio out directly connected to an always-on receiver, and you don't want the sound to continue to play after you turn the TV off. There are better ways IMO to take care of this situation, however.

I've never used the standby feature of any TiVo regularly.

Drew
Thanks Drew. The 30 minute buffer is a blessing and a pain in my family. We often pause a program for something like a phone call, and then continue viewing the same program. Sometimes we accidentally change channels while watching and loose the content of the buffer, thus loosing 30 minutes of programming!! Is there anything we can do, apart from always pressing record when we pause a program?

Frank
Old 12-03-2005, 08:57 AM   #943
azitnay

Not really... Just record everything you watch. I always recommend not relying on the 30-minute buffer. Even if you don't overtly change the channel, assuming you have suggestions turned on there's always a chance it'll change on its own.

Drew
Old 12-03-2005, 10:29 PM   #944
meebs

Rs-tx20

Purchased Dec '04. Worked fine, loved it. Then 11 months later (Nov '05), unit would not boot up. Called Toshiba tech support. Still under warranty so parts covered. Sent to repair facility in Alabama. $40 shipping UPS ground, $72 for labor. Unit was back on my doorstep in 14 days. (Never realized how much I would miss my TIVO). Work order said the hard drive AND DVD drive were replaced. Just hooked the unit up yesterday. Now, for some reason, it says DVD: Loading . . .. DVD door won't open either. Bummed, especially if I'm gonna have to send it back in for another repair.
meebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 11:28 PM   #945
barkowitz
Tivoholic

Hello All!

Count me in as a Toshiba owner as well. Bought my unit just before Thanksgiving from Best Buy. Bought an RS-TX20 marked down from $599 to $399 with the $150 TiVo Rebate and a 12% Best Buy coupon. Total cost (after rebate) will be $201.99. Not bad for 140 hour hard drive and DVD burner.

Love it so far. The set up and config worked fine. I got TiVo Plus service, and I have transferred programs to the unit and from it using the HMO. I've also burned programs off my hand-held video camera and it works great. DVD burning is also working fine.

My question (and I'll admit to not reading the previous 32 pages, so sorry if it has already been answered) is why doesn't my DVD burner recognize programs which have been recorded on another Series 2 Tivo. I can transfer the recordings to the DVR and watch them, but it won't let me burn them to DVD. The Manual does say "Programs transferred to this DMS from a different kind of TiVo DVR via the Multi-Room Viewing feature cannot be saved to DVD."

My question is why? Is there anything I can do to fix this? One of the reasons I bought the unit was to transfer old programs from the old DVRs. I know I could save to VHS and then record from VHS, but I would lose quality and why bother...

Any ideas?
Home Media Network
http://barkowitz.wordpress.com
barkowitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 09:30 AM   #946
azitnay

The easy answer (when the source TiVo isn't a DVD burner unit) is that the programs aren't recorded in a DVD-compatible format, and transcoding them into the proper format is a task not suitable for a TiVo with its limited resources.

When the source is a DVD unit, it still doesn't work, but the reason isn't quite as good (supposedly the MRV doesn't preserve some metadata necessary for burning).

Regardless, you can only burn programs recorded directly on the box. If you're willing to use "Save to VCR" on the source unit and "Record From a Video Camera or VCR" on the destination unit, you can copy in an analog fashion and then burn, but if that doesn't suit you, you can always use TiVoToGo and burn from a computer.

Drew
Old 12-04-2005, 12:00 PM   #947
rcobourn
Registered Snoozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by meebs
Purchased Dec '04. Worked fine, loved it. Then 11 months later (Nov '05), unit would not boot up. Called Toshiba tech support. Still under warranty so parts covered. Sent to repair facility in Alabama. $40 shipping UPS ground, $72 for labor. Unit was back on my doorstep in 14 days. (Never realized how much I would miss my TIVO). Work order said the hard drive AND DVD drive were replaced. Just hooked the unit up yesterday. Now, for some reason, it says DVD: Loading . . .. DVD door won't open either. Bummed, especially if I'm gonna have to send it back in for another repair.
I would definitely open this unit up and check the cables to the DVD drive. Probably came loose in shipping.
rcobourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 01:42 PM   #948
TiVoEvan74

If you really want to silence the TiVo and save wear and tear on the hard drive, switch to a channel that you don't receive. You'll get a blue screen, with a message that there's no channel (or the input is flakey), and, AFAIK, it stops recording.

I wish these things would have a sleep mode... it would save some wear and tear and make them work better for bedrooms. There is an advantage to a VCR after all!
TiVoEvan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 02:33 PM   #949
Kracko

Actually hard disks have a longer life span if they don't spin down. I have three computers at home. Each has two hard drives in them. I have another connected via USB and (I'm probably going to regret saying this) none of them have ever died on me and I NEVER turn off my machines or let the hard drives go into "sleep" mode.

I also manage many servers where the hard drives never spin down and I can only recall one drive over the past 10 years that has gone out on me.
Old 12-04-2005, 02:48 PM   #950
TiVoEvan74

Yeah, I've heard that and knew right away I'd get that response!! :-)

That it's supposed to be the stopping and starting that wears out the drive, right? Rather than the spinning round and round. Anyone cite controlled studies that tested this?

Actually, the main part of my post had to do with someone earlier in the thread wanting to turn off recording... and I believe that switching to an unreceived channel does that.

And wouldn't not writing to the drive increase its longevity?
TiVoEvan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 07:30 PM   #951
patel

I have a Toshiba RS-TX60 and Dish 322 satellite reciever. I can't get the channel changing to work so my DMS unit is unable to change the satellite receiver and therefore I can not use any of the TIVO functions......I have checked all the connection...I have created a tent.....I have tried 2 IR Blaster cables.....I have used multiple codes including 10001 and 10011.......any more suggestions. I tried to check whether the IR blaster is working by using a digitable camera to see if there was any light that was picked up..but honestly did not see anything. Is it possible that the DMS unit's IR port is not working or is there something else I can try to check? Please help and I am desparte given this is my fourth week of trying to get some help
patel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 11:07 PM   #952
Banzai
The Baron

Joining the club

I'm becoming a new RS-TX20 owner this week, as soon as UPS pays me a visit. Currently, I have an 80-hour Series 2, and I'll be hooking up with the multi-service discount for the forseeable future.

There's just one TV here, so I'm planning to have both units hooked up to it (my television will support two video inputs). The trick is that I'm on digital cable through a Comcast box, and clearly both units can't control the box without causing a digital train wreck. Best solution I can think of is to simply hook one of the units directly to the cable and just lose a few extra channels on that one.

I've browsed the forum a bit and seen a couple of spooky horror stories, so am hoping for the best. No sense being worried until I've given it a try, but any tips are welcome!
Banzai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 10:55 PM   #953
CaccaMucca

Reports of New 7.2.1a patch

I've read where some users got 7.2.1a on their Tivo.

Maybe Tivo heard our compaints of buggy 7.2.1 on burning DVDs.

Drew, any priority link for the 7.2.1a?

Thanks,
CaccaMucca
CaccaMucca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 07:10 AM   #954
azitnay

TiVoPony claims 7.2.1a was not a bug fix release:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...42#post3544447

Drew
Old 12-08-2005, 08:41 AM   #955
ber

Anyone have the following problem....while burning a disk....(about 50-% burn correctly now)....i get an "internal error"....but the disk continues to spin....and efforts to remove the failed save disk are impossible...the machine just reads "loading"....the only way to get the disk out is to unplug the system
Old 12-08-2005, 11:06 AM   #956
DarkShadows

Quote:
Originally Posted by ber
Anyone have the following problem....while burning a disk....(about 50-% burn correctly now)....i get an "internal error"....but the disk continues to spin....and efforts to remove the failed save disk are impossible...the machine just reads "loading"....the only way to get the disk out is to unplug the system
That's happened to me too many times to count, I have learned not to burn whilst the unit is recording a show just in case that happens.

Happened to me during the World Series and I missed half an inning because the unit had to reboot.
DarkShadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 12:04 PM   #957
CaccaMucca

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by ber
Welcome to the club.
It happens to me all the time. I'm getting maybe 1 successful burn out of 6 attempts. It doesn't matter what media I use, including approved ones, and I even leave the Toshiba alone while burning.

Unplugging doesn't help, at least not with my unit anyway.

All this started when TiVO upgrading my Toshiba to 7.2.0.
They didn't ask if we wanted the stupid upgrade that broke our boxes, they just shoved it down our throats, rendering my $600 box useless. I would have been better off with a straight DVD Recorder. Hind sight is 20/20.

Toshiba is losing sales and coming out looking bad because of TiVO. Toshiba should do something about it.
Old 12-08-2005, 12:17 PM   #958
CaccaMucca

Quote:
Originally Posted by azitnay
TiVoPony claims 7.2.1a was not a bug fix release:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...42#post3544447

Drew
Thanks Drew. I don't think TiVO would admit that their software is buggy, even though my 2 year old daughter points to the little TiVO Man and yells "BUG".

I'm just hoping that TiVO might fix things on a sly and incorporate in the 7.2.1a release.
Old 12-09-2005, 08:56 AM   #959
ber

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkShadows
That's happened to me too many times to count, I have learned not to burn whilst the unit is recording a show just in case that happens.

Happened to me during the World Series and I missed half an inning because the unit had to reboot.
Thanks for the feedback...yes DarkShadows...i tried to burn while my TIVO was taping a show which i was planning on watching later...and so i missed a portion of it while i had to reboot...good advice...don't burn while either watching or taping a show...or do so at the peril of missing the show!

I was hopeful that this last version software upgrade would fix all the burning issues...it clearly has not...in fact it is unclear whether it was aimed at all at addressing the Toshiba Humax burning...i wish TIVO would at least admit the problem...I know from this board that not everyone has a problem, but for those of us who do a lot of burning it is unfortunate to have to have 0 sense on whther burns will be successful....i had my machine for five months before the infamous upgrade...1 disc failure out of appx 100! NOw i am batting on 50% and as inidcated previously typically burn onto a more expensive DVD-RW disc so that i am not throwing away half of my supplies...oh well...
Old 12-09-2005, 02:52 PM   #960
JackieLL
Hired gun

Internal Error saving to DVD

I've found something that works for me. I thought I'd pass it along.

Background:
My rs-dx60 started burning about 50% coasters. I'd reboot and then I'd get maybe one or two good burns before it went back to the same ol' internal-error song.

What I did:
1 - Stopped using 8x DVD-Rs and only used 4x
2 - Ensured that, to the extent possible, the TiVo was doing nothing else while it was burning. I.e.: nothing being recorded (other than, maybe, the 30-minute buffer), nothing being watched, etc. I even kept it on the recording screen by hitting the up and down arrows between "return to...(saving will continue)" and the option below that. (Or at least, I assume that toggling between those two options periodically prevented it from defaulting back to watching TV.)

What happened:
After rebooting, I started doing the above. I haven't burned a bad one since, and I've burned about 15.

Conclusion:
Something seems to have worked. The 4x? The nothing-but-burning? Both? Dunno. But it worked. So, is it a pain to do that fiddling? Yup. Should I have to do it? Nope. But it works.

Good luck.

Post script:
Kindly do not flame me for the fact that this wasn't a scientifically-conducted, placebo-present (ha, ha) test of thousands of burns designed to pinpoint the precise reason for TiVo's failure and my subsequent end run around its failure. If you don't like my attempt to help others, then poop on you -- and keep it to yourself.

JackieLL is offline   Reply With Quote