TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Forum Extras > DVD TiVo Units (Archive)
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-13-2005, 08:25 PM   #871
DarkShadows

Quote:
Originally Posted by garrock
I attempted three burns today (having successfully burned three dvds after the update). The first was successful, the second failed due to 'internal error', and the third created a spontaneous reboot of the box (I presume the burn failed as well, but the box is powering back up as I type this).
I received the update on Thursday and since yesterday I made 30 burns with two coasters.

Only three failed copies after 36 attempts, although I had two in a row on the last two I tried tonite. All of them internal errors but the system did not reboot itself.

I will see how it goes with the rest of them.
DarkShadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 11:12 PM   #872
CaccaMucca

Quote:
Originally Posted by garrock
The other day I was glad to announce that, having received the 7.2.1 update for my TX20, my burning problems were over.

Today I announce the party is (again) over.

I attempted three burns today (having successfully burned three dvds after the update). The first was successful, the second failed due to 'internal error', and the third created a spontaneous reboot of the box (I presume the burn failed as well, but the box is powering back up as I type this).

My unit is four months old. Prior to receiving the 7.2.0 update, I must have burned over 100 dvds. I also added a wifi adapter after the 7.2.0 update--is anyone aware if that is a potential source of instability of these systems?
Garrock and all, powering the RS-TX20 down for more than 8 hours after the initial 7.2.1 upgrade seemed to have solved the burn problem with me, so far anyway. Simple reboot won't do, at least it didn't work for me. Without having inside information on how the Tivo software works, I can only guess there is a file(s) or something, the software looks at the clock when it first powers on and if that something is too old like 8 hours or more, deletes or flushes it and creates another. Maybe this something must be created using 7.2.1.
The program even feels different, more responsive, which is good news. That is my theory and I'm sticking to it until something else changes.

7.2.1 - jury is still out.
CaccaMucca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 12:57 AM   #873
Kracko

I burned 20 DVD's tonight, successfully.
Kracko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 02:08 AM   #874
castledown

Q about recorder capability

Can someone can help me please. I have a TiVo unit purchased two years ago and I love it! But now I'm thinking I'd like to get rid of a box and reduce cable clutter AND add a DVR DVD recorder. The RSTX 20 was advertised in a Sears ad flyer in today's paper. Of course, when I went to Sears, they said they were sold out and they don't expect to get more in. What's up with this? The clerk suggested that I shop online at Sears and they may have them. I checked; they do.

But I have questions: what exactly can the DVD recorder do? For example, if I record a TV show to TiVo and then decide that I want to make a DVD of that show, can I do it? Or is this a situation where I need to tell the DVD recorder to record the show and leave TiVo out of the loop?

If I use the DVD recorder, can I stop it and start it manually to edit out commercials?

Aren't there licensing/copyright issues with recording DVDs? For example, would I have been able to make a DVD of the Paul McCartney in St. Petersburg concert that was on the other night?

Any help you can give would be appreciated! Thanks! Paula

Last edited by castledown : 11-14-2005 at 02:10 AM. Reason: more precise word substituted
castledown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 07:22 AM   #875
MrParrish

And The Beat Goes On

Not a company man. In fact I just went through a lengthy and frustrating time trying to get a replacement unit from Tivo that worked for the series 2. Two units in a row were lemons. I had to call Headquarters in California to finally get some action. But that's another story.

However, the point about Humax etc. is well taken. It can't be hardware if it's
affecting all the DVR's. Didn't get to have any experience with the 5.4 software because 10 minutes after I connected my Tosh it got the 7.2.0 update. I just presumed my burning problems were the unit from the outset.

And I was too rash in my assessment of the overall performance of 7.2.1. I'm back to a 5-1 ration of burns and coasters.

So much for being optimistic.

Mr P
MrParrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 07:46 AM   #876
TiVoEvan74

Is it affecting the Humax to the same extent as the Toshibas? Is the RS-TX60 affected as much as the TX20? We really don't know, do we? I see far more complaints on these boards about the TX20 and far fewer about the Humax... but we don't know relative ownership share.

It clearly isn't a universal problem at all... in fact, it seems to be a small, but unfortunate, minority of the DVD units. If it were widespread, there would be far more complaints and there wouldn't be as many success stories.

It seems as if it must be a hardware-software interaction... otherwise, if it were purely software, then ALL units with the software would be having the problem. I wonder if we could start pooling information about when the units were manufactured and where (is there a sticker or other number that would tell us?)

As to the 5:1 ratio of burns to coasters... what's the media, speed and -R or -RW, and brands? Which TiVo?

5/6 successes is actually quite good compared to some people's experiences! Still unacceptable, though...
TiVoEvan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 08:24 AM   #877
ber

Burns

Just thought i would tenatively chime in...busy weekend...so i have not had a chance to play around with my machine significantly....but got the 7.2.1 update...so far 2 for 2....the 2nd on an 8X disc...which was where i was primarily having my problems previously....will update by tomorrow...given i have lots of stuff to burn this evening....glad that most people have seen some sort of improvement...event if it isn't back entirely to 5.4 times
ber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 01:00 PM   #878
ashu
User title defunct

(Instead of imlpying and insisting, unscientifically, that this is a TiVo/Toshiba or 7.1, 7.2, 7.2.1 problem,) Should we, perhaps, be concerned about the quality of mass-produced DVD burning drives? They're now dirt cheap almost to the point of being sold at or below cost.

I see from your commetns about burning 10s and hundreds of DVDs that you folks having issues are HEAVY burner users. I've burnt, PERHAPS, 10-20 on my Toshi TS-X20 and 25 on my Humax DRT800 in nett toal of 29 months of ownership (7 and 12 respectively). Maybe the burner/laser or something dies after a while? I've had PC drives (DVD burning drives) die spontaneously and abruptly become incapable of completing a burn. After a year or two of light use. This sounds similar (a few weeks of VERY heavy use)

Just a thought!

ps: And not to cast aspersions on any of you, but I'm curious whether you're distributing content to your friends or archiving everything in sight just for the heck of it? Really - 100s of DVDs?

<edit> In case it isn't apparent, the drive used in both these devices is a variant of the Pioneer 108Z (commonly available, and likely a variant of the NEC 3540-A. IIRC!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Too many TiVos!)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ad hoc, ad loc, and quid pro quo!
So little time! So much to know!
ashu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 07:29 PM   #879
mickeymaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by castledown
Can someone can help me please. I have a TiVo unit purchased two years ago and I love it! But now I'm thinking I'd like to get rid of a box and reduce cable clutter AND add a DVR DVD recorder. The RSTX 20 was advertised in a Sears ad flyer in today's paper. Of course, when I went to Sears, they said they were sold out and they don't expect to get more in. What's up with this? The clerk suggested that I shop online at Sears and they may have them. I checked; they do.

But I have questions: what exactly can the DVD recorder do? For example, if I record a TV show to TiVo and then decide that I want to make a DVD of that show, can I do it? Or is this a situation where I need to tell the DVD recorder to record the show and leave TiVo out of the loop?

If I use the DVD recorder, can I stop it and start it manually to edit out commercials?

Aren't there licensing/copyright issues with recording DVDs? For example, would I have been able to make a DVD of the Paul McCartney in St. Petersburg concert that was on the other night?

Any help you can give would be appreciated! Thanks! Paula
You use the DVD burning TiVos just like any other TiVo. You have the option of dumping anything that has been recorded onto DVD (you don't need to know in advance that you want to record it to DVD). You can't transfer shows from other TiVos and then burn them to DVD on this one (it has to originally record on the TiVo that is going to burn the disc). I really like the DVD recorder option....

You might want to try your local Best Buy to find a RS-TX20. They are clearancing them out for $399, plus you still get the $150 rebate if put service on it for a year. The store might be able to order one from a different store if they are out of them. I just picked mine up tonight--it was ordered from another store and was open box so I only had to pay $359.99 (and I still get the $150 rebate).
Old 11-15-2005, 01:16 AM   #880
castledown

Thanks Mickeymaker

Thanks for taking the time to respond. You say that on this Toshiba machine I just make DVD's as I did before. On my old machine (the one I have now, actually), I never made one. There was an option to "record to VCR" only and I never used that either.

I'm really excited about the new features and I know I'll use them. My husband went ahead and ordered it tonight at Sears. Probably no tthe cheapest around. I assume he paid full bore ($399) but we will apply for the rebate. Besides, Sears let's us finance. We already have an account with them.
castledown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 07:25 AM   #881
windracer
joined the 10k club

Quote:
Originally Posted by castledown
Thanks for taking the time to respond. You say that on this Toshiba machine I just make DVD's as I did before. On my old machine (the one I have now, actually), I never made one. There was an option to "record to VCR" only and I never used that either.
What he meant is that there's really no difference when it comes to using the unit as a TiVo.

As for the DVD burner, you can't record a currently showing program directly to DVD. You have to record the show on the TiVo (like you do on your current box) and then later you can save the show to DVD if you want ... but you can't do editing, so you can't take out the commercials.

Also, you cannot burn transferred shows onto DVD, so once you have that second TiVo, you won't be able to use MRV to move a show from your old TiVo to the Toshiba and then burn them to DVD.

|
windracer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 07:29 AM   #882
CaccaMucca

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashu
Really - 100s of DVDs?
You need 100 DVDs to get 5 good ones with all the failures.

I archive few shows for later viewing. My hard drive is alway full from my wife's recording. Hers can stay on the hard drive but mine has to be moved off.

What is hers is hers and what is mine is hers.

Last edited by CaccaMucca : 11-15-2005 at 07:46 AM.
Old 11-15-2005, 07:35 AM   #883
CaccaMucca

Quote:
Originally Posted by windracer
Also, you cannot burn transferred shows onto DVD, so once you have that second TiVo, you won't be able to use MRV to move a show from your old TiVo to the Toshiba and then burn them to DVD.
She could use the RCAs in the back to record the playback onto her RS-TX20.

Last edited by CaccaMucca : 11-15-2005 at 07:47 AM.
Old 11-15-2005, 08:05 AM   #884
TiVoEvan74

mickeymaker, good luck getting the rebate! Doesn't the fine print say that it doesn't apply to demo, used, open box units?
Old 11-15-2005, 08:59 AM   #885
CaccaMucca

I have another theory, theory #2, #1 was posted few messages above.

Why are there more posts during weekdays and not on weeknights or weekends? We are so connected, We are constantly checking email messages, surfing the net and posting messages on several BBSs while at home. Hmmm ....

CaccaMucca's Theory #2.

A lot of posters work for Tivo and they post during their day shift at work. It makes sense, this is a Tivo run board. That is what I'd do if I was Tivo. You can tell by their posts, their messages scream company man. Some may even post under multiple names, supporting each others posts.

Quote:
(Instead of imlpying and insisting, unscientifically, that this is a TiVo/Toshiba or 7.1, 7.2, 7.2.1 problem,) Should we, perhaps, be concerned about the quality of mass-produced DVD burning drives?
Case and point #1, always blame it on the hardware. It is not Tivo's fault. Unscientifically? We've proven that it is the software. Read the thread.
Quote:
I see from your commetns about burning 10s and hundreds of DVDs that you folks having issues are HEAVY burner users. I've burnt, PERHAPS, 10-20 on my Toshi TS-X20 and 25 on my Humax DRT800 in nett toal of 29 months of ownership (7 and 12 respectively). Maybe the burner/laser or something dies after a while? I've had PC drives (DVD burning drives) die spontaneously and abruptly become incapable of completing a burn. After a year or two of light use. This sounds similar (a few weeks of VERY heavy use)
Case and point #2, always blame it on the hardware. It is not Tivo's fault. RS-TX20s have not been around 2 years and some of us are complaining only after few weeks of use. I like you bring in your 29 months of total use. Bait and switch, make it sound older than Noah. LOL. I had my RS-TX20 for 10 months which 3 of them, it was out of commission due to software issue.
Quote:
ps: And not to cast aspersions on any of you, but I'm curious whether you're distributing content to your friends or archiving everything in sight just for the heck of it? Really - 100s of DVDs?
Case and point #3, change subject. If you can't shift blame, redirect attention. In Tivo's eyes, one can't be using a DVD burner except for illegal use. One can't have extended family and have a need to make multiple copies of home videos of ones little girl for family members. Due to Tivo's software, I couldn't even do that for 3 months.

Quote:
In case it isn't apparent, the drive used in both these devices is a variant of the Pioneer 108Z (commonly available, and likely a variant of the NEC 3540-A. IIRC!
Case and point #4, change subject. If you can't shift blame, redirect attention by introducing something to confuse the masses.
Old 11-15-2005, 09:09 AM   #886
ber

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaccaMucca
You need 100 DVDs to get 5 good ones with all the failures.

I archive few shows for later viewing. My hard drive is alway full from my wife's recording. Hers can stay on the hard drive but mine has to be moved off.

What is hers is hers and what is mine is hers.

Hey CaccaMucca....are you still having burning problems....i did plenty of testing yesterday and 7.2.1 seems to have been the solution for my problems....
ber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 10:45 AM   #887
ashu
User title defunct

Whatever floats your boat ConspiracyMucca - I mean, CaccaMucca.

Again, I wonder
Quote:
Really - 100s of DVDs?
And seriously, I've gone through all the same software versions as you have, with my Toshiba (AND my Humax). I've burnt a DVD everytime a new software came along, and it has always burnt successfully. So your "I've proved its the software" statement IS flawed.

If you want no constructive analysis and possible altternative wyas at trying to understand the root cause of the issues you're seeing, then you should be on www.tivosucks.com or www.iamalwaysright.com. Not here.

<edit> And, ohh joy, so i can't add 12 and 7. So it's 19 total months. Typo. Are you jumping with joy now? Is your Toshiba suddenly burning DVDs successfully now?

(Too many TiVos!)

Ad hoc, ad loc, and quid pro quo!
So little time! So much to know!
ashu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 12:07 PM   #888
kommanderskull

Advice needed for - Refurbished RS-TX20 - $316 @ Overstock

I've been surfing this forum and the web for several hours trying to determine if the refurbished RS-TX20 unit at Overstock is worth buying. A new customer coupon knocks the price down to $316

Initial comments in this forum about the toshiba were glowing. More recent comments make me a little more hesitant.

I'd like to hear some input fom current RS_TX owners. Would you risk getting a refurb? Do the recent software problems make you hesitant to even recommend a new RS-TX?

I appreciate any advice.
Thanks
kommanderskull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 12:36 PM   #889
CaccaMucca

Quote:
Originally Posted by ber
Hey CaccaMucca....are you still having burning problems....i did plenty of testing yesterday and 7.2.1 seems to have been the solution for my problems....
All set. I was getting 50% fail rate with 7.2.1 until I powered the unit down for 8 hours. Please see my theory #1 above.
Old 11-15-2005, 07:20 PM   #890
windracer
joined the 10k club

Quote:
A lot of posters work for Tivo and they post during their day shift at work. It makes sense, this is a Tivo run board. That is what I'd do if I was Tivo.
This is not a TiVo-run board ... it's a subset of the AVS Forum. Yes, there are TiVo employees that read and participate here, but I highly doubt they are using multiple names to make TiVo look better ...

If you want the TiVo-run board, go here.

I've been a TX20 owner for several months now, and have yet to burn a single coaster. Like Ashu, though, I don't seem to be burning the quantity you are. The TX20 is my third TiVo so I mainly use TiVoToGo and MRV. Really the only time I use the burner is when I need to make some discs to take some shows on an airplane trip for my daughter.

|
Old 11-15-2005, 07:21 PM   #891
windracer
joined the 10k club

Quote:
She could use the RCAs in the back to record the playback onto her RS-TX20.
Yes, there's always the analog hole.

|
Old 11-15-2005, 10:12 PM   #892
emmpee

Hey guys,

The response time on my RS-TX20 is awful slow. It is significantly and noticeably worse than the S1 and S2 standalone boxes I have used.

Has anybody else experienced this? Is there any fix for it? I have software 7.2.1...

Thanks,
Mike
emmpee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 03:14 AM   #893
DaisyChain

CaccaMucca - did someone just call you a 'conspiracy theorist', too? LOL

To what do such types attribute so many people complaining about the same thing, I wonder? By singling one or two of us out and ignoring the sheer numbers of us with the same tech problem, I guess they're thinking it's a conspiracy themselves? All of us are just making this up don't-cha know

Otherwise one would think they'd quit the silliness and just stop hassling us over a quite legitimate complaint we all are having.

Mr Parrish - LOL on the "burn/flame" pun. Hee

N E way.... to topic - I got the patch; I was excited at first... then I actually ran out of discs and had to wait a day until I could really test it. See, it worked at first but then I recalled I'd unplugged it before that anyway. (The patch installed upon replugging-in). Ok, so more discs (which I only had to buy because so many of the previous pack were ruined) & another test run.

It made a few burns... then for no reason it began making coasters again. Another unplug; a successful burn and maybe two and then more coasters. It made no less than five coasters trying to burn the same thing. I finally gave up on that one. I did the restart thingy or whatever... (not unplugging it but just resetting) and that seemed to help.

The following day, it mostly made successful burns; only a couple of coasters. Of all the above burns, (mostly due to multi-parters, by the way - not necessarily that many separate items) at least one was made during a live show taping at the same time. Well, it also did a reboot where it powered down on its own, though.

Overall there seems to be little rhyme or reason to it; BUT at least it is burning now without having to unplug it for a half hour EVERY - SINGLE - TIME I want to use it. That's nice in itself. Of course - if 7.2 had never happened, it would be working as it's supposed to.

LOL on the accusations some of us just wore out our machines with too many burns. Mine was brand new! Have some of these guys even read the thread?? Also ITA with CaccaMucca (and no, we're not the same person, LOL) that some of the posters are logging on from work. :COUGH COUGH:

Not that it matters much. It's kind of amusing actually. Well, that's my updated report. The patch seemed to improve things for now, but, it's hardly optimal or fully functional either.
DaisyChain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 07:14 AM   #894
mickeymaker

They didn't exclude open-box items. It excludes pre-owned, second party, demo and display DVRs. My receipt doesn't say open box and I have the UPC codes, so I should be all set
Old 11-16-2005, 10:02 AM   #895
TiVoEvan74

That's good news on the open-box... and good for you on the rebate!!

Say, folks, maybe there are a bunch of bad units, with some flaky hardware that the 7.2 OS somehow made worse! That is, DVD burner issues or hardware probs interacting with the software...maybe there are some lemons.

And no I don't work for TiVo and am not a TiVo employee masquerading as regular user, yet our DVD burners are working fine--before and after 7.2.1!

But I certainly wouldn't be happy if my unit kept turning out coasters, or I had to go through a bunch of superstitious rigamarole with unplugging the unit for X number of hours (have you all remembered to hop up and down on your left foot 13 times while it's unplugged? If not, that's the source of your problems, right there!)
Old 11-16-2005, 12:00 PM   #896
Exubesq

Recommended DVD brands/types

I have a few things recorded which exceed 2 hours and would need to be on more than one disk - which is a pain. I tried buying some DVDs which should have had double the capacity but my TX20 says "no disc" or fails to recognize the type. Any suggestions?
Exubesq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 12:12 PM   #897
azitnay

I'm assuming you bought dual-layer media -- the RS-TX20 doesn't support them in its current form.

If you want to put a recording that's longer than two hours on a single DVD, you'll have to record it at medium or basic quality.

Drew
azitnay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 12:39 PM   #898
Exubesq

Thanks for the response, even though it makes me less than happy!
Is that a hardware limitation that I 'll have to live with 4ever, or a software issue that may someday be resolved?
Exubesq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 12:44 PM   #899
azitnay

The DVD drive used in the RS-TX units reportedly does support dual-layer media, so there's no hardware reason why it couldn't happen.

It wouldn't just be a trivial software change, so I wouldn't get your hopes up, but we can always hope.

In reality, though, dual-layer media is still (usually a lot) more than twice as expensive as single-layer media, so unless you really need the extra capacity, it's still much more cost-effective to stick with single-layer media.

Drew
azitnay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 02:09 PM   #900
ZeoTiVo
I can't explain

Quote:
I have another theory, theory #2, #1 was posted few messages above.

Why are there more posts during weekdays and not on weeknights or weekends? We are so connected, We are constantly checking email messages, surfing the net and posting messages on several BBSs while at home. Hmmm ....
Because I have a life and do not sit on the forum at night at home. I work in software development for a large financial institution and have time between compiles and meetings adn project deadlines to follow my interests.

notice that in October and early Novemebr I was not around much. big project at work. now we are in year end system freeze mode and I have some more time on my hands.

your theories are not making for a postive picture of the person posting, while the "company men" all seem to have a grasp of what the true issues are.

PS I also do not make regualr heavy use of the DVD burning on my RS TX20 but I have burned something like 10 in a row on more than one occasion. A set of Rock Star:INXS for a neighbor and multiple DVDs for the kids/Dad for road trips.

only one coaster the whole time - but the next burn of the exact same stuff worked fine. Most likely a physical media problem.