TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Forum Extras > DVD TiVo Units (Archive)
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-10-2005, 04:00 PM   #841
ashu
User title defunct

Monster is no better than the standard,w ell-packaged RadioShack or no-big-brand-name cable at CC/BB. CaccaMucca may have replaced some Stone Age cabling with Monster, which would POSSIBLY be an improvement

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Too many TiVos!)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ad hoc, ad loc, and quid pro quo!
So little time! So much to know!
ashu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 06:49 PM   #842
MrParrish

Update Update

I Have the Tx60 and the new download cured it of the tempermental burns.
I was having problems about every fifth disc no matter what type I used. After the 7.2.1 upgrade I've had no problems whatever burning discs, even the 8x fly like a pro. The overlap upgrade is great too! Been reading this thread for a long time and since no one had commented on the after effects I thought I would chime in.

Rick
MrParrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 06:55 PM   #843
CaccaMucca

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashu
Monster is no better than the standard,w ell-packaged RadioShack or no-big-brand-name cable at CC/BB. CaccaMucca may have replaced some Stone Age cabling with Monster, which would POSSIBLY be an improvement
I got the Stone Age cable from you Caveman. LOL!!!
So, when having problem with video and/or audio, try replacing the cable first.
CaccaMucca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 06:57 PM   #844
CaccaMucca

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrParrish
I Have the Tx60 and the new download cured it of the tempermental burns.
I was having problems about every fifth disc no matter what type I used. After the 7.2.1 upgrade I've had no problems whatever burning discs, even the 8x fly like a pro. The overlap upgrade is great too! Been reading this thread for a long time and since no one had commented on the after effects I thought I would chime in.

Rick
I'm still waiting for 7.2.1. Tomorrow would be day 3 since I've signed up using the priority list.
Old 11-11-2005, 12:37 AM   #845
Fragster14

I'm using the RS-TX60, and while I haven't had any problems with burning dvd's and such, I have noticed that it displays colors very poorly. Since I have HD, and my digital cable box can output two signals, I have an HD signal going straight to the TV that I switch to when I want to watch HD (Damn Tivo for not even being able to DISPLAY HD) and then I let it go through the DVR for regular TV channels and such. But there is a serious image quality difference between viewing a signal thats straight from the cable box on one component video input and the DVR signal from another component input. Both use the same brand of video cables (monster), so I have to assume that it's not a cable issue, and it's definately not a TV issue because it looks great through the cable box, but bad on the tivo. Basically, the colors are skewed. For example, people's faces all appear yellow, simpson style, when viewed through the Tivo. The colors are too vibrant and extreme. You get used to it after awhile, but when I switch over to watch HD for awhile, then switch back to the tivo, it's downright painful to watch. As far as I can tell, there isn't a way to change the color settings on the tivo itself.

Does anyone have any suggestions for me? Sorry if this issue has been covered before, I will continue to search for answers on this thread and others. Thanks!

Edit: I'm also using the 7.2.0-elm-01-2-565 software version, if that helps any.
Fragster14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 07:46 AM   #846
windracer
joined the 10k club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fragster14
Basically, the colors are skewed. For example, people's faces all appear yellow, simpson style, when viewed through the Tivo. The colors are too vibrant and extreme.
Maybe this is due to the MPEG encoding being done by the TiVo?

Can your TV store different brightness/contrast/tint settings for each input? You might need to "tune" your settings (using something like Avia) for the component input that the Toshiba is connected to.

It's also possible, I suppose, that there's something wrong with the component outs on the Toshiba. I just have standard analog cable, going out via component to my plasma, and there's definitely a quality difference, but the colors look normal.

|
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 11:17 AM   #847
DarkShadows

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaccaMucca
I'm still waiting for 7.2.1. Tomorrow would be day 3 since I've signed up using the priority list.
I got the update last night, three days exactly after I signed up via the Priority delivery system.
DarkShadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 01:27 PM   #848
scottt
Macintosh Guru

I got the update 2 nights ago, and I didn't even know about the priority list until today (been under a rock for the last few days).
scottt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 05:16 PM   #849
DaisyChain

Quote:
you know if you did not lace everything with TiVo conspiracies, you might get more help on the TiVo forum.
Way to attempt to vilify me, ZeoTivo. When did I say that no one was helping me here??? They've been great. But then they don't seem to take it personally if I criticise TiVo et al.

Others here ARE actually helpful and do not feel the need to virtually slap my face for stating the truth. If you don't feel TiVo is giving us a hard time look around you. I am not the only one saying this. If you don't feel TiVo is doing this on purpose then they must have created and tested an 'upgrade' while being complete idiots. It had to have been obvious to them that it would cause burns to fail - and they shipped it out anyway. What does that tell you?

What does it also tell you that they have already tested software which will purposely disable the ability to keep shows past a day or two? They've already test-marketed that.

Kindly do not paint me as some conspiracy nut just because I call a spade a spade. Or do you work for TiVo - I wouldn't be surprised. Don't answer that - it is a redundant question and frankly, I don't care.

You answered my post without intending to help. Also your half-hearted replies such as they were, were useless, since you clearly had not even read my prior posts and the replies some HELPFUL people gave to them - or my follow-ups. If you had not, then kindly do not pull attitude. You just make yourself look silly.

If you had read those posts you'd realise that the sound issue wasn't a sound issue after all and the wireless vs. wired transfer is also no longer of importance.

Quote:
I also am not having burning issues on the hardware I received. It really does suck that an assembly line run seems to be out there that is just not working correctly. Sorry if this has been discussed further up in the thread but have any of you called Toshiba ?
(bold marks, added)

Again - you haven't even READ the THREAD and you are spouting off to me?? Nice.

First - if you haven't got burning issues then what do you know about what frustration some of us are experiencing with this? I just bought a brand-new TiVo and they sent out a software 'upgrade' which disabled it. Since you haven't experienced it and have no empathy either, why bother to post at all??

Then when I saw that you haven't even read the whole thread to know what the heck you're talking about - that tore it. YES people have called Toshiba, and TiVo, over and over again. We were promised a patch which is nowhere to be found and there's no word on when it WILL come out. They promised it by the end of October. At least READ the THREAD before you spout off to someone next time with your 'advice', fair enough?

Quote:
A little research goes a lot further than a lot of conspiracy theory.
And a little research goes a long way before spouting off at a total stranger. This from the guy who's giving me advice I don't want, and who hasn't read the thread to see which issues were already resolved before smarting off to me. I don't WANT to do all that (downloads, using other programs on my computer, etc.) - and I should not HAVE to. I already bought the freaking DVR plus burner a short time before TiVo purposely (otherwise you are calling them incompetent idiots - which is it?) disabled it.

As for their 'customer service model' or whatever - do their customers really matter so much, in light of the reports they've sold out to the cable companies? Just wait and see - not that I expect you to admit you were wrong once this all plays out. I already explained what I think has happened and why. I'm not just spouting off about little green men. I'm not going to reiterate my reason for thinking they've sold us out in view of where TiVo's future will be. Go back and actually read the thread.

And, save the sarcastic crap for someone who's impressed.

Last edited by DaisyChain : 11-11-2005 at 05:24 PM.
DaisyChain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 08:32 PM   #850
CaccaMucca

DaisyChain,

There are few posters that are on Tivo's payroll and their work is to vilify posters that complain about Tivo and defend Tivo at all cost. I totally agree with you about Tivo being on a slow death and on their way out. For example, I'm waiting for Comcast to come into my area next year. They have a DVR that records 2 different channels while viewing a 3rd at the same time with 2 hours of buffer for each program for $6.99 a month with all the features of TiVo. That is almost half the price of TiVo's monthly subscription charge.

Enough said, let's talk about 7.2.1.

I got my update last night and my burn problem is NO MORE!!!
I've successfully burned 2 disks and started to move programs off my hard drive. All this, while recording live broadcast with no coasters!

I'm using the same media, Fuji 8X, that worked without any issue before 7.2; failed miserably during 7.2; and now works again with 7.2.1.
Now, Tivo people, please tell me again that it is not the software and it was my media or my defective RS-TX20. NOT!!!

I want to take this time to thank everyone that complained by phoning and emailing Tivo and Toshiba. Our voices and complaints were heard loud and clear. I'm also sure our continued posting on Tivo Community got on the radar of many potential buyers on the fence debating if they wanted to purchase a Tivo box. OUCH!

Too bad it took 2 month to fix it.

So, now that our $600 boxes are back in action, how do we block Tivo from forcing unwanted updates down our throat? We need some kind of hardware blocker. Hey, even Microsoft asks, 'Do you want to install the update?" before shoving it down our throat.

Last edited by CaccaMucca : 11-11-2005 at 08:55 PM.
Old 11-12-2005, 01:00 AM   #851
DaisyChain

Thank you very much CaccaMucca. I appreciate your understanding!

And I agree with everything you said!

I hear ya about Comcast. Cable updates tend to take way longer than they should around here (although in the midst of a large city!) which is one reason I bought the DVR in the first place - ironic. The clerk actually told me that he had heard that the software had been licensed to cable companies and TiVo was phasing out the hardware/DVR side of their business. I recall telling him that was okay, as long as it worked at least a couple years as that was likely as long as it might take our local cable co. to get the same thing. Maybe that was a rash decision on my part. Then there was a small part of me that thought "and well this might be a rumor." He sounded pretty assured though - I also note that it's near impossible to find a new, in-box machine like I have. So maybe it's true after all.

I also notice that TiVo doesn't have the necessary wireless thingys on their website any more - not sure what's up with that considering they're pushing the computer burn software but who knows. Maybe they are gonna (as someone else mentioned) come out with their own wireless whatevers. (But that's neither here nor there for me... I just want what I bought to work as it should. Just a random thought.)

That is GREAT to hear that 7.2.1 took care of the problem. I'm still a bit spooked that this happened at all - what was this about?! Were they just trying to see if they could sneak it in and whether we'd kick and scream? Or was it a test run. Who knows. Anyway I'm glad it works as it is supposed to, for you now! I think it's not too much to ask that a machine work as promised. Something similar would be Windoze forcing a download on us (to use your analogy and extend it a bit?) and the fix would cost more money or downloading software we didn't want. People would rightly be screaming about that too.

Quote:
So, now that our $600 boxes are back in action, how do we block Tivo from forcing unwanted updates down our throat? We need some kind of hardware blocker. Hey, even Microsoft asks, 'Do you want to install the update?" before shoving it down our throat.
Too right! I couldn't agree with you more. I'm disappointed in this whole episode and I just hope they do not repeat it.

Sorry for all your 'coasters', it's great to hear that there's light at the end of the tunnel though (assuming it will be the same with mine!). Unplugging the thing and waiting to burn a single disc is getting old... Thank you so much for posting this great news.

Old 11-12-2005, 05:19 AM   #852
Bimwad

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaisyChain
Way to attempt to vilify me, ZeoTivo. But then they don't seem to take it personally if I criticise TiVo et al.
Criticism is one thing, conspiracy theories are something else altogether. The flip side of the Pollyanna Tivo-huggers here, if you will.

I hate to respond to trollish comments, and I don't have an urgent interest in the DVD burning issues, so I declined prior comment, but ZT is entirely correct in his interpretation of your comments, if not perhaps the residual effects. Judging by the lack of comment from some of the other veterans, I'd say he's correct about the latter, too.

You repeatedly accuse TiVo of purposely disabling one of the prime features of the product without any proof.

Even assuming that a struggling company like TiVo would ever consider such an ill-advised strategy that would hurt its current customers, as well as discourage potential new customers, any rational personal would ask why TiVo would do so? How many reputable companies do you know of that would purposely incur such anger from its customers?

If TiVo wanted to disable the DVD burning feature, why allow it to work intermittently instead of shutting off the feature altogether? Or do the TiVo engineers have some sick sense of humor to tease and torture us at the command of their evil masters?

You were not alone in experiencing the DVD burning issues, yet the only one who suggested, if not screamed, that it was the result of a intentional action worthy of a legal response.

TiVos are software-based devices, and all software has bugs, particularly when a major revision is involved. Despite their best efforts, people who write software and provide tech support do make mistakes. If their efforts to identify, rectify, and implement solutions to problems don't occur quite as quickly as we'd like, one must be patient instead of resorting to creating fantastic explanations and threatening legal action.

Your comments, all on the record here, seem to belie any understanding of how technology, and technology companies function.

Thankfully, 7.2.1 seems to provide a solution to the burning issues, and hopefully, it will result in less "spouting," too.

Just calling a spade a spade.
Bimwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 05:37 AM   #853
DaisyChain

Oh, puh-lease. :rolls eyes:

Do you work for TiVo? Nevermind; don't answer that.

First - you all (both) need to take a chill pill. Seriously.

Second - I did not EVER threaten anyone with a lawsuit. I said I would not be surprised if one resulted, which is entirely different. I have no interest in suing TiVo.

Predicting what may result is one thing. I predict the sun will rise tomorrow. Am I responsible for that now, too?

Nor was I the only one saying that it might happen. So what? People post opinions on an opinion forum.

"Conspiracy theories" - give me a break?! I never used the word conspire, or conspiracy. I love how some of you seem so threatened by what I think of what TiVo did, that you want to make me sound like some Area 51-ite or some grassy knoll obsessive. Nice.

Actually, those are some strong allegations you are making. Very interesting how personally you are taking some of this, considering you say you are not interested in the topic and have no stake in the issue of burn failure:

Quote:
I don't have an urgent interest in the DVD burning issues, so I declined prior comment
So why post? I mean, why would you care at this point? And, why take it personally? Seems you're working awfully hard to stir dying embers and ash into an allout flamewar. For what purpose?

Quote:
You repeatedly accuse TiVo of purposely disabling one of the prime features of the product without any proof.
Hmmm. I'd say the amount of complaints about what happened with 7.2 is (reasonable enough) "proof" that it caused burn failures. It cost a lot of people a lot of trouble and inconvenience, not to mention the cost of ruined discs and in some cases, I think, postage to send the machine in, etc. But accuse them outright of disabling it - that isn't what I recall and was not my intention. I recall saying something like "is this what is happening?". Totally different. (As far as 'assumptions' - well who sent it out - TiVo, wasn't it?) But I already spoke to all this, and you know I did. I'm only posting now to try ot make it clear that I did not say I was going to sue. (And frankly if I had, so what?)

Another point neither of you address: Why could TiVo not have simply ASKED us if we wanted this download? Easy enough. If they didn't know it would cause massive burn failures, why not? What about reports they test marketed something designed to stop shows from being saved past a day or two? What about reports they've already sold to the cable companies and are phasing out their machines?

But just why are you and ZeoTivo so interested anyway? When you both say at the same time you have no stake/interest in this? Interesting.

Quote:
but ZT is entirely correct in his interpretation of your comments
Very subtle. Opinion stated as fact (isn't that what you take exception to??). But I think if you want to know how to 'interpret comments' you should ask the one who made them, no? I wonder why you didn't just simply do that. I'm right here. Ask me. Rather than tossing out words like trollish, conspiracy, screaming, etc. But - you're not that interested. So then why post?

The attempt to gather support and imply 'silent assent' - re: 'nah nah, the veterans don't like you either' - is also strange. (Do you really want to start a flamewar over an issue that has frankly been resolved?) But frankly, I always found board-cliques an odd notion anyway. We should all be equal here. And if TiVo royally screwed some of us over, we have every right to gripe about it without - whatever you two are - getting up in our grills about it. Pardon some of us (not just me), if we have another opinion. But why single me out? Because I wonder why TiVo did what it did? I'm allowed to have an opinion.

Quote:
If TiVo wanted to disable the DVD burning feature, why allow it to work intermittently instead of shutting off the feature altogether?
Quote:
Your comments, all on the record here, seem to belie any understanding of how technology, and technology companies function.
Most hard drives can be 'tricked' into momentary resuscitation simply by unplugging the computer. It is pretty hard to totally disable one without a virus or simply erasing it, as far as I understand. But why are you asking me? You as much as called me stupid and ignorant as concerns hardware. But you're not really asking me, though, are you? Nope - just making a lot of insinuations and accusations. You know. Like you accuse me of doing. And again - for what purpose? You can skip my posts if you dislike them. I can't 'skip' being able to use the DVR as intended and sold. But the topic isn't supposed to be me - it's about, well, you know what it's about. If you want to make it about me and how you think I reek, start a new thread

Also - I do have an interest in how all this shakes out. I have a TiVo, and a TiVo which was affected by the 'update'. What is your reason?

You asked why anyone would purposely disable part of their technology. Or wait - you're not really asking me. Well, I'll answer. Ask them! Funny how you go on about proof anyway (and 'matter of record'). This is a message board! Not a court of law. It is a forum for posting opinions. "Prove" to me that I am a conspiracy nut! Or irrational. Or a troll. Didn't stop you from saying those things did it? That was your own opinion based upon what you saw in front of you. And maybe you were angry.

Gee, I wonder why people would be angry at a $600 doorstop? (I'd like to see a Windoze 'update' installed w/out asking users, which forced people to do a hard reboot every time they used their computer! That hasn't happened and people say much worse about Windoze and Gates than anything anyone expressed here.) But again:

If they did not do this on purpose, then they were incompetent. Wouldn't it have to be one or the other? That is my opinion (and that of some others here too). Period. Hey, at least I was upfront about why I cared. Now can we all move on. Thank you. (Cos after all, you're not all that interested!).

Last edited by DaisyChain : 11-12-2005 at 07:24 AM.
Old 11-12-2005, 07:48 AM   #854
garrock

Received the 7.2.1 update

I put my name on the 7.2.1 update priority list thanks to the link posted by Drew on 11/7, and after three days my RS-TX20 box was updated. This forum definitely preserved my sanity, and pointed me in the right direction, as the update appears to have solved my problems.

As with everyone else, I too received the 7.2.0 update in late summer and initially had no problems. I installed a wifi adapter to get rid of the phone line, and merrily recorded programs and burned DVDs. Then I started to burn coasters, with burn failures occurring both early and late in the burn process. At first it was intermittent, perhaps 1 in 10, and eventually became 9 in 10 failures. Occasionally, the unit would spontaneously reboot during a burn session. I was prepared to return the unit until finding this forum. I discovered a work around from this board: record to a 2X -RW disk, and copy it to -R or +R format on my computer.

I received the 7.2.1 update yesterday, and have burned several of the shows I had stored without problems. I have yet to discover the update's other attributes, but this fix is enough for me. Thanks to all on this board.
garrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 08:24 AM   #855
MrParrish

Call Out The Fire Brigade!

Hey, DaisyChain, ZeoTivo, BimWad, CaccaMucca.....you guys are missing a key element of all this!

Wouldn't a discussion of burning issues inevitably lead to a flaming????????

Sorry, Coudn't resist!

Okay, now you can all join together and villify the newbie.

MrParrish
Old 11-12-2005, 11:53 AM   #856
CaccaMucca

Quote:
Originally Posted by garrock

I received the 7.2.1 update yesterday, and have burned several of the shows I had stored without problems. I have yet to discover the update's other attributes, but this fix is enough for me. Thanks to all on this board.
That is what this board is all about. I began posting shortly after the 7.2 upgrade, maybe we should call it downgrade, with my theory tying the burn issues with 7.2, I'm just glad it is over for now.
As I've stated before, there are a lot more people that read about issues with 7.2 than Tivo would have liked. You yourself is one of them.
I'd like to thank again everyone involved for complaining and emailing Tivo and posting their experiences and issues.

"As an individual I was but a voice in the wilderness, but as a group we were a chorus and were heard by Tivo"

Last edited by CaccaMucca : 11-13-2005 at 11:38 AM.
Old 11-12-2005, 02:34 PM   #857
CaccaMucca

Angry 7.2.1 Software is a Dud

Well, here we go again. The errors are back. I've successfully burned 3 DVDs in a row after getting 7.2.1 and just now made 3 coasters. I've unplugged the RS-TX20 for now.

Toshiba RS-TX20, Tivo box with dvd burner with 7.2.1 software / firmware fails to burn DVDs! < --- this line is for anyone Goggling.

I must have used up my allotted 3 burns.

Houston, we still have a problem.

CRAP!!!!

Last edited by CaccaMucca : 11-12-2005 at 02:43 PM.
Old 11-12-2005, 07:51 PM   #858
hawks67

Quote:
Well, here we go again. The errors are back. I've successfully burned 3 DVDs in a row after getting 7.2.1 and just now made 3 coasters. I've unplugged the RS-TX20 for now.

Toshiba RS-TX20, Tivo box with dvd burner with 7.2.1 software / firmware fails to burn DVDs! < --- this line is for anyone Googling.

I must have used up my allotted 3 burns.

Houston, we still have a problem.

CRAP!!!!
I second that. We actually didn't even get the allotted 3 burns. Just the same old crapping out just before the finalization step. Restarted several times, no effect. Confirmed that we have 7.2.1.elm yadda yadda yadda.

I would just LOVE to know how others have managed to successfully burn with the "upgrade". Is there a magic phrase we need to chant? Do we need to rub garlic on the TiVo unit? Sacrifice our first-born?

Sheesh.

hawks67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 09:19 PM   #859
Kracko

I received 7.2.1 last night and now today I can't copy from my video camera to the Tivo. I was able to do so all week as I've been copying tapes like mad. I tried restarting the Tivo and pulling it's plug for 2 minutes all to no avail.

I called Tivo support but they told me I have to go through Toshiba support which is only open M-F according to Tivo's recording.
Old 11-13-2005, 12:08 AM   #860
CaccaMucca

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawks67
I second that. We actually didn't even get the allotted 3 burns. Just the same old crapping out just before the finalization step. Restarted several times, no effect. Confirmed that we have 7.2.1.elm yadda yadda yadda.

I would just LOVE to know how others have managed to successfully burn with the "upgrade". Is there a magic phrase we need to chant? Do we need to rub garlic on the TiVo unit? Sacrifice our first-born?

Sheesh.

I left my Toshiba RS-TX20 unplugged, power, for more than 8 hours, I just finished burning my 3rd successful DVD. Wish me luck on my 4th one. I could not burn even one DVD with 7.2, so this is an improvement for me.
This time I had my network sniffer plugged into the network to see what all goes on between my RS-TX20 and Tivo. Only saw multicast and broadcast traffic, whch means that my 5 port router is acting like a switch. I'll have to dig up my 4 port hub and retry another time.

As soon as I get enough space on my hard drive, I'll try transferring my home video DV tapes and see if that piece is working. By the sound of what Kracko posted, that piece is now broken and this time it is the RS-TX60s. Fix one issue and break another.

Last edited by CaccaMucca : 11-13-2005 at 11:42 AM.
Old 11-13-2005, 12:16 AM   #861
CaccaMucca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracko
I received 7.2.1 last night and now today I can't copy from my video camera to the Tivo. I was able to do so all week as I've been copying tapes like mad. I tried restarting the Tivo and pulling it's plug for 2 minutes all to no avail.

I called Tivo support but they told me I have to go through Toshiba support which is only open M-F according to Tivo's recording.
Now you know how some of the owners of RS-TX20s and other units felt, when we were getting the run around. I was even told to mail in my Toshiba because I have defective hardware. Of course, I didn't.
Are you using the DV input on the front or RCA jacks in the back of the unit to copy your movies?

Last edited by CaccaMucca : 11-13-2005 at 12:21 AM.
Old 11-13-2005, 02:58 AM   #862
Kracko

Quote:
Now you know how some of the owners of RS-TX20s and other units felt, when we were getting the run around. I was even told to mail in my Toshiba because I have defective hardware. Of course, I didn't.
Are you using the DV input on the front or RCA jacks in the back of the unit to copy your movies?
I'm using the DV input on the front of the unit.
Old 11-13-2005, 07:55 AM   #863
MrParrish

Strange

Okay, it's established that the new software upgrade fixed the problem for some of us, didn't do nada for some of us, and created a new headache on camera recording for at least one of us
Did it cripple anyone who had no problems before?

It would seem logical that if it didn't then the previous problems were hardware related and do indeed fall at Toshiba's doorstep.

Mr P

(1) Toshiba RS-TX60
Old 11-13-2005, 08:42 AM   #864
CaccaMucca

Quote:
Okay, it's established that the new software upgrade fixed the problem for some of us, didn't do nada for some of us, and created a new headache on camera recording for at least one of us

It would seem logical that if it didn't then the previous problems were hardware related and do indeed fall at Toshiba's doorstep.

Mr P
Oh, you sound like another company man.
So, whose door step does Pioneer and Humax fall on?
Doh!

Last edited by CaccaMucca : 11-13-2005 at 11:45 AM.
Old 11-13-2005, 11:24 AM   #865
CaccaMucca

More Update on 7.2.1

My RS-TX20 just locked up and rebooted on its own while I was channel surfing. I'll keep it unplugged for now. I did manage to burn 5 more DVDs since yesterday. That makes the score 8 to 5. 8 successful burns, that is better than 0 to 13 I would have gotten with 7.2.
7.2.1 is still buggy. Not as stable as 5.4 or whatever I had before this whole mess started. My guess is another patch in 3 months, Tivo might call it 7.3 this time.

Still have not tested recording using DV input. Maybe I'll test that later on today.

At this stage, I'd give up the Tivo feature on my $600 box for a stable DVR with a DVD burner. Yes Tivo, please delete the Tivo function off my RS-TX20 and just leave me with a basic DVR w/dvd burner. At least that way I won't have to put up with this CRAP. I should have just paid $400 for a regular DVR with a burner. But NO! I had to buy the $600 one that included a Tivo because Tivo was a mature product and I always wanted a Tivo. But now, I have an equivalent of a $49 box. Not even that. $49 boxes don't reboot in the middle of watching a program or channel surfing.

We may actually be witnessing the demise of Tivo here. This can definitely be one of the catalyst.
- DirecTV moving away from using Tivo software. They will be using there own Tivo like software. No royalty, lost revenue.
- Toshibas, Pioneer, Humax etc. might stop producing Tivo w/DVD burner boxes all together due to poor consumer demand as the word spreads of all the issues with buggy software. Best Buy, Circuit City, Sears, etc. won't want to put up with returned units, complaints for consumers, you get the picture.
- Better offer from the cable companies; $6.99 a month versus $12.99 for Tivo like box and best of all, you don't have to shell out any dough for the box. You rent it. $6.99 pays for all. That means instead of shelling out $600 and $12.99 a month thereafter, my $600 would have bought me 86 months of viewing, that is 7 years, for a better box. Do the math. 3 turners, record 2 programs while viewing a 3rd, 2 hours of buffer space for all 3 tuners, not 30 minutes.
- Tivo subscribers like myself have cancelled month subscription due to buggy software. Why should I be paying for something reboots and requires to be powered down half of the time. Lost revenue, hurting the bottom line.

Writing is on the wall.

Last edited by CaccaMucca : 11-13-2005 at 12:54 PM.
Old 11-13-2005, 11:38 AM   #866
Kracko

Quote:
I consider what it's done to me, crippling. I had no problems before the update.
Old 11-13-2005, 12:26 PM   #867
TiVoEvan74

RS-TX60 still working fine, burning DVDs without a hitch, even after 7.2.1

I even burned several today while it was recording other shows (8x DVD-R and 4x DVD-RW). So, the problem is clearly not universal and, in fact, might be related to a particular run of the hardware.

I'm beginning to think there's a problem with *some* RS-TX20s and burning. I would return the product under warranty, even if you have to do it again. Alternatively, see if your state has "lemon" laws and if you can force Toshiba or your reseller to take your unit back and refund your money.

I would also find a higher up at Toshiba and request a refund with a nice formal letter (mentioning legal action otherwise) and phone call.

The only caveat--and you've probably already done this--is to make sure that you are only using the exact DVDs specified in the manual... that is, no 8x, no 4x, and that they are certified with whatever DVD standard the manual states. It shouldn't matter, but who knows, you might get lucky.
TiVoEvan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 01:03 PM   #868
CaccaMucca

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoEvan74
I'm beginning to think there's a problem with *some* RS-TX20s and burning.
I know you are just suggesting some helpful advice and this is not against you. Some of us are frustrated with our $600 door stop.

We had no problem with burning on 5.4 software. Our problem started with 7.2 upgrade, so it is not a hardware issue. How else would you explain same issues that Pioneer, Humax, etc. are having??? Are they hardware issues as well????
Problem is with Tivo. That's right, I said it and everyone can quote me on it.

Maybe I could get on a 5.4 priority list.

Last edited by CaccaMucca : 11-13-2005 at 01:40 PM.
Old 11-13-2005, 02:34 PM   #869
Kracko

Follow up: I just unplugged my RS-TX60 for an hour and now it sees the signal from the video camera again. I'm back in business.
Old 11-13-2005, 06:17 PM   #870
garrock

Oops, I declared victory too soon.

The other day I was glad to announce that, having received the 7.2.1 update for my TX20, my burning problems were over.

Today I announce the party is (again) over.

I attempted three burns today (having successfully burned three dvds after the update). The first was successful, the second failed due to 'internal error', and the third created a spontaneous reboot of the box (I presume the burn failed as well, but the box is powering back up as I type this).

My unit is four months old. Prior to receiving the 7.2.0 update, I must have burned over 100 dvds. I also added a wifi adapter after the 7.2.0 update--is anyone aware if that is a potential source of instability of these systems?
garrock is offline   Reply With Quote