TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Forum Extras > DVD TiVo Units (Archive)
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-30-2005, 02:47 PM   #781
azitnay

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoEvan74
By the way, can one add shows to a DVD-RW that already has a few things burned to it? Or can you only burn an entire disk?
No, the DVD-RW will have to be erased first.

Drew
azitnay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 03:02 PM   #782
TiVoEvan74

Thanks, Drew. I suspected as much... By the way, I have tried transfering shows between DVD burning units (one Toshiba, the other Humax) and, alas, even with that, one cannot burn to a DVD. (It's odd because the message that shows up and the manual both imply that it doesn't work if it's between incompatible TiVos rather than that MRV precludes DVD burning, which seems to be actually what's going-- that is, different encoding for MRV'ing vs. recording and then DVD'ing.)
TiVoEvan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 03:07 PM   #783
azitnay

Yeah, even though the other TiVo does record in a DVD-compatible format, it seems some of the metadata required for burning is lost during the MRV. This is certainly something that could potentially be fixed in the future, but it remains to be seen whether or not that'll happen.

Drew
Old 10-30-2005, 10:35 PM   #784
WaterBug

Hi all. My apologies if I'm not posting this correctly, I'm new to posting on this thread.

Because I also own a RS-TX20 I have been following the thread concerning the issue with the 7.2 upgrade. I've been having the same problem trying to burn dvds since the upgrade.

Also, I've had another problem that I haven't heard anyone else mention, and that is playing rented DVDs. I keep getting an invalid media type error message. This started at the same time as the upgrade. Did anyone else experience the same thing?

I've tried the rebooting experiment to no avail. Am looking forward to the patch someone referred to earlier. Hopefully that will help.
WaterBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 07:14 AM   #785
TiVoEvan74

We rented a DVD once from a store... and got something like that... turns out that the DVDs get scratched and mis-handled; in fact, the store manager said it's been worse than with VCR tapes!!

Now, as to the DVD-R burning... just had our first failure with a Tosh RS-TX60... after several successes... and we'd been at 7.2 for a while.

Interestingly, when I put the blank DVD in, it hung the system and I had to unplug it. I can't remember if I removed the DVD before putting it back in or not (perhaps it wasn't positioned well), but it came up fine. I arranged for the saving of 3 movies on the DVD... and it all started up fine.

But then, rather than usual quick drop from 58 minutes to 50 to 41 before setlling into a realistic time count down... it slowly went from 59 to 58 to 57... unlike any other DVD we've burned before. We've only used Memorex DVD-R 8x, so my presumption on this one is that something is wrong with the DVD.

We're not burning again until our DVD-RWs come in or the Tosh promised 7.2.1 patch comes out.
Old 10-31-2005, 02:03 PM   #786
DaisyChain

I tried to solve the problem by using TiVo to Go. WELL. I am now even more ticked off at TiVo for hanging us all out to dry. Shouldn't it be illegal to purposely break something that someone has bought??

It took three hours and we're on high speed internet... to get a half hour show onto my laptop from the TiVo hard drive. The sound was very quiet. I could barely hear it.

So I tried to do a freeze frame and image capture from there? It would not make one. The image just floated around the screen once I took the snapshot with my (totally separate) image program.

Ok - So I looked for a way to burn it onto disc from TiVo to Go. There is no way to do so. Guess what?

The TiVo website takes you to a link where you have to spend $50-100 for yet another program which ALLOWS you to burn the shows onto a disc on your computer. Now, wait a minute... I already BOUGHT the TiVo with burner in it... then went through the trouble to put it onto my computer... and now to burn it onto disc from my computer, they want me to spend more money...

AFTER they already disabled the burner I just BOUGHT from them???

TiVo - I'd like to introduce you to a very painful method of storing discs.
DaisyChain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 02:24 PM   #787
TiVoEvan74

another aspect to the burn failure... in creating the disk, I inadvertently when to Done creating name before I had selected any characters... and got the DVD followed by date title... I backed off that and then entered characters... I assume that has nothing to do with it, but is the only difference in creating the DVDs... could there be a software program glitch with naming?
Old 11-01-2005, 10:37 AM   #788
stampar

Quote:
Originally Posted by azitnay
The TiVo hardware isn't really suited for heavy editing.

As for editing the title, you get to choose a title when you record from the VCR in the first place.

Drew
Thank you for replying.
Oh, well, who's talking about HEAVY editing? How about some basic things, like taking out a minute of blank screen in my video tape already on the HD? You can't even pause the Recording to the hard drive.
Second point: If I made a mistake in titleing and do not want it to go to the DVD I plan to burn, can I EDIT the title?
And one more: Is there a way to output the HD of RS TX by Firewire/USB to a computer for transfer/editing?
ED

stampar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 10:59 AM   #789
azitnay

2) No... Just don't make a mistake .

3) Yes, this is what TiVoToGo does.

Drew
Old 11-01-2005, 01:42 PM   #790
stampar

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by azitnay
2) No... Just don't make a mistake .

3) Yes, this is what TiVoToGo does.

Drew
It DOES NOT transfer video - only music & photos for Mac OS X
(see TiVo Desktop 2.2)
I will still keep the unit, but for limited use, since most of my expectations have evaporated.
Thanks
stampar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 05:56 PM   #791
tw67jw

TX-20 No Remote

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossofyou
I just bought an RS-TX20 that had no remote. I purchased a One-for-All URC-6131 remote, and have programmed everything, easlily, EXCEPT the RS-TX20. Anyone out there have a code that will work? I've tried the search function & nothing happens. Emailed OFA, & they're out until Tuesday, of course. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
I too have purchased the TX-20 without a remote - Toshiba tells me that the Universal Remotes will not work and provide all TIVO functionality... did you ever get this resolved?
tw67jw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 07:28 AM   #792
hawks67

It's November 2....has anyone heard anything regarding the Toshiba 7.2.1 patch that they said was coming out at the end of October?

Anxiously waiting.....
hawks67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 10:06 AM   #793
azitnay

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampar
It DOES NOT transfer video - only music & photos for Mac OS X
(see TiVo Desktop 2.2)
I will still keep the unit, but for limited use, since most of my expectations have evaporated.
Thanks
You never mentioned you were using a Mac.

You might be able to transfer using Galleon, and then use Virtual PC to (slowly) transcode to an MPEG your Mac can handle (a process not discussable here).

Drew
Old 11-02-2005, 10:07 AM   #794
azitnay

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawks67
It's November 2....has anyone heard anything regarding the Toshiba 7.2.1 patch that they said was coming out at the end of October?

Anxiously waiting.....
7.2.1 is rolling out slowly (see other posts on these forums), but there's no priority list or anything, so it's kinda luck of the draw at the moment.

Drew
Old 11-02-2005, 07:46 PM   #795
CaccaMucca

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaisyChain
It took three hours and we're on high speed internet... to get a half hour show onto my laptop from the TiVo hard drive. The sound was very quiet. I could barely hear it.
Okay, first let me make some assumption here:

1. Your laptop is wireless and you transferred the program using wireless.
2. You were inside your house, since you could not hear the Toshiba making any sound, during transfer.

Since you were inside your house, your own network, your high speed internet that you've subscribed doesn't even come into play. In other words, your transfer was contained within your network.
I suggest going hard wire, plug into your network using CAT5 cable.
Try the transfer again. It should be faster in orders of 4 times or more.

Anyway, it does stink that one has to transfer programs out of Toshiba RS-TX20 to another device just so we can burn the programs on to DVDs.

November 2nd and we are still on 7.2.
CaccaMucca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 09:03 PM   #796
dsb

Arrow RS-TX 20 Won't recognize Linksys Wireless Adapter

Hope I didn't screw up by posting this again - just noticed the "Official RS-TX 20" thread.

Anyway, I have an RX-TX 20 which I have been most satisied with. Rarely a problem that can't be corrected by powering down and then powering back up. But I decided to try TIVO TO GO and now I've run into a problem. The RS-TX 20 won't recognize the Linksys WUSB11 ver 2.6 network adapter (Tivo says its should work...). Tried just about everything I can think of but it won't recognize the adapter. The green power light on the adapter comes on as soon as you plug the USB cable in (its USB A male to USB A male which is a little weird, but that's the way Linksys made this particular adapter). Any ideas greatly appreaciated.

Thanks,

Dave
dsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 09:39 PM   #797
windracer
joined the 10k club

I'm using a Netgear WG111v2 on my Toshiba, but have a Linksys WUSB11 v2.6 on my 140 box.

Have you tried the other USB port?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 04:24 PM   #798
CaccaMucca

Nov 3 - Still no 7.2.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawks67

Anxiously waiting.....

Nov 3 - Still no 7.2.1
Old 11-04-2005, 08:35 AM   #799
pilamm
Pilamm

RS-TX20 General Operating Procedures?

I guess I'm a little late in the game as far as talking about the RS-TX20 but I just recently picked one up as an "open box" special at Best Buy. Nothing was marked as missing or defective so I thought I could get a pretty good deal. Here's my main question for anyone currently using the device:

When you use the device to view live TV and you have your source connected through S-video (or any input), do you have to place it in Standby mode when you turn the TV off for the day? I am getting mixed signals from Toshiba tech support. One rep says you do, one says you don't, you always leave it on.

The reason I ask is when I leave it on, say overnight, and go to watch TV in the morning, the video shown is from a pre-recorded time and I must press Play and Advance to get caught up to the live image. Pressing the Live TV button does nothing to catch me up to real time. Also, I cannot control my satellite until I do so because I am looking at past events. This seems wrong to me and also to the techs.

If I leave it on and go through the steps to watch live TV, the response of the recorder to remote commands is very delayed and the image frequently skips or gets jittery. One tech claims this is because I have used up the 30 minute live TV memory and this is why it must be placed in Standby. The other seems to think I may have a problem with a video connection or the box.

It also seems wrong to have to put the unit in Standby when not in use because it turns the display clock off, which I assume is there to function as a standard clock, much like a VCR.

The manual doesn't offer general operating instructions. Anyone have any experiences to share?
pilamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 08:42 AM   #800
Runch Machine

I always put mine in standby, though you don't have to. As far as where you are in the buffer, if you have been using it and are behind real time, you will remain behind until you catch up or put it in standby. I don't know how you would get to the beginning of the buffer over night unless you press pause and let it sit there.

By the way, if you have Directv as your satellite provider I would urge you to get a DirecTivo receiver. It's a Directv receiver with a Tivo DVR built it. Picture qualitly is much better and it has two tuners so you can record two shows at the same time. The Tivo fee is also cheaper at $6.00.
DirecTV HR20 DVR with 1 terrabyte Drive inside.
Runch Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2005, 01:01 AM   #801
DaisyChain

CaccaMucca: Thank you for your reply and the info/feedback. Much appreciated.

You are correct - I made the transfer using a wireless router. One of the ones recommended by TiVo on their website (btw I tried to get another one for the other TiVo DVR, and can't find them now. It does seem they're doing all they can to stop us from transferring or dubbing anything?).

The time length isn't so much an issue that I'd want to spend still more money on more equipment (even $10) but thank you for the option. Who knows, I may yet do that. Oh, and the no-sound or low-sound meant on playback (of the transferred show) in my computer. Not of the machinery in use.

The real issue proved to be that I still can't dub the program! After all that. Not even a screenshot. But as for dvd transfer - there is no way in the TiVo desktop program to allow it.

I went back to the TiVo website? And guess what - they want you to shell out $50 or $100 more (depending how many bells/whistles you get) to buy a software program that will let you make the dvd on your computer.

Sheesh, do they get us coming & going or what?! Needless to say, I'm not buying the software program when I've already just bought a brand-new machine supposedly able to do the same thing.

If they never come out with a patch, I predict class action lawsuit. Disabling everyone's DVR has got to be illegal. Truth in advertising and all that.

But as for myself, I'll just find another way to make Dvds that doesn't involve TiVo at all - while pushing pins in a tiny effigy of Tubey or whatever its name is. No way to treat customers, TiVo.

Btw, I am able to make one disc a day in the DVR from prerecorded programs, if I use the unplug-DVR machine-for-at-least-half-an-hour-before-burning option. But no more than once a day.
Old 11-05-2005, 09:01 AM   #802
baltman

Hello everyone

I have a RS-TX20 and am trying to network this. I go to settings network and see that the tivo box has an ip address of 192.168.2.106 and I can ping it from my laptop but when I try to connect to the Tivo Service I get a failed to negotiate please try again. I have 3 usb network devices for this all on the tivo tested list and get the same results. Can anyone assist.

Thanks
baltman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2005, 11:46 AM   #803
Kracko

Quote:
Originally Posted by baltman
Hello everyone

I have a RS-TX20 and am trying to network this. I go to settings network and see that the tivo box has an ip address of 192.168.2.106 and I can ping it from my laptop but when I try to connect to the Tivo Service I get a failed to negotiate please try again. I have 3 usb network devices for this all on the tivo tested list and get the same results. Can anyone assist.

Thanks
Do you have any other tivo's on the network? Can they talk to the tivo servers? Do you have a firewall?

On my firewall I have the following ports open, 2190 and 8101.

Maybe this link will help: http://customersupport.tivo.com/know...lic/tv2073.htm
Kracko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2005, 05:43 PM   #804
baltman

Network Failed to Negotiate

Ok This is what I have for equipment.

(1) Directv D10 Receiver
(1) Toshiba RS-TX20 Digital Media Server
(1) USB200M hard wired network
(1) SMCWBR14-TG 108mbps wireless Broad Band Router

Directway Internet Satelite Service (DW6000)

If I use the phone line I can connect to the Tivo Service but when I change to Network I get failed to negotiate.

I have the basic tivo service not the plus.

Any help would be great. Thanks
baltman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2005, 07:52 PM   #805
CaccaMucca

Quote:
Originally Posted by baltman
Hello everyone

Thanks
I'm assuming that your computer(s) or laptop(s) that you have on your network is able to surf the internet. If not, you need to address it before moving on.

There are two options you could have used to program the IP address on your RS-TX20:

1. Using a default setting - DHCP, this is where your router hands out the IP address dynamically
2. Using a manual setting - you would have to program the addresses in manually

If you used option #1, you have a firewall, router and/or a network issue.
If you used option #2, you don't have the correct default gateway programmed into your Toshiba. Maybe you have a duplicate IP address programmed on another device.

That is unless you have some other device on your network, let's say an iMac that is handing out IP addresses because you have the DHCP service enabled.

Your RS-TX20 has or acquired address ending with 106.
My guess is the router started with 101 and gave out 6 addresses, which means that you have 5 other devices on the network? Are they having issues surfing the internet? Try powering down one device at a time, including the router and RS-TX20 and see if anything changes.

You may have a latancy issue with your internet satellite connection. Which means your RS-TX20 is looking for a connection response faster than your network can provide and it is timing out. For example, the network can get the connection response in 4 seconds but RS-TX20 is looking for it in 3. There is nothing you can do about this short of hacking the Toshiba and programming it by extending the time out value. If you are able to do that, you and I need to get and make millons fixing everyone's problem and coming up with new programs.

Let us know what you find.

Last edited by CaccaMucca : 11-06-2005 at 07:40 PM.
Old 11-05-2005, 08:08 PM   #806
CaccaMucca

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaisyChain
CaccaMucca: Thank you for your reply and the info/feedback. Much appreciated.
Anytime.

Quote:
I made the transfer using a wireless router. One of the ones recommended by TiVo on their website (btw I tried to get another one for the other TiVo DVR, and can't find them now. It does seem they're doing all they can to stop us from transferring or dubbing anything?).
I don't think TIVO had TivoToGo in mind when they recommended wireless solution for connecting up the boxes. With TivoToGo, everyone should connect their TIVO boxes using a wired network cable into their network. This is my professional opinion as a network engineer.

I still can't burn even after powering the Toshiba down for more than 8 hours.
I've stopped burning all together for now. It is a software issue and TIVO must come up with a patch before too long. My DV tapes of my home videos are stacking up because I can't tranfer them onto DVD.

Last edited by CaccaMucca : 11-05-2005 at 08:37 PM.
Old 11-05-2005, 09:21 PM   #807
DaisyChain

So are mine! I have several three-hour NFL games that I was burning for someone - many of them on highest setting! My HD is all but full all the time, and I have what, 140 hours of room built in?? This is ridiculous.

I likely will not be sending any more shows to the laptop, since I can't burn them from there anyway. I don't want to pay $50 more when I already bought a machine that should dub on its own and it's brand new. If anything TiVo should at LEAST give us that software as a consolation prize. For FREE.

I mean they messed it up in the first place, right?! sigh.....

I was able to burn a few discs after powering down unplugged totally etc., for just over half an hour each time. Then plugged it in and it will burn ONE disc only. It doesn't seem to matter if I choose separate shows as long as it is one disc.

However yesterday I burned part 1 of an NFL game and tried to do part 2 after unplugging and replugging again? And it would not. It failed not long into it. Internal error. I thought maybe it had to be 24 hours apart. Tried again today and the same thing - internal error, failed. Two more coasters! I also would like TiVo to send us all a batch of free DVD-R's to replace all the ones ruined by this machine they've rendered all but useless.

Seriously - some enterprising lawyer should get on this. And I have not sued anyone before in my life. But this is just w-r-o-n-g.

If I can't burn any more discs after this I will wonder whether (hey alliteration!) TiVo's 7.2 is like a virus that gets worse as time goes on. Will it eventually stop us from keeping shows more than a day or two, also? Isn't that the test they used a while ago? Why would they do that if they were never going to use it. Well anyway it would not surprise me too much!

If they come out with 7.2.1 and it fixed all this like new (I just want it like it was prior to 7.2) I will eat a little crow and apologise. But as of now I am still waiting. They also put nothing on their website so they are not exactly owning up to this!
Old 11-05-2005, 09:26 PM   #808
DaisyChain

PS baltman I had the same problem - my laptop would NOT recognise TiVo at all. Not at all! We had everything set up like we're supposed to and the right part off their website and hubby had adjusted the port on the firewall for our router. Well HIS computer recognised it just fine but mine still would not.

I did not have a separate firewall so I thought. So I just could not figure out what was wrong! Then something 'told me' to look at Windows Programs and lo and behold it had a Windows Firewall already installed on the machine and it was ON. I had to turn it off and restart and still no TiVo showing... I looked and somehow the firewall was still turned on.

Well this time I got it to turn off and lo and behold - hello TiVo! So maybe this will help you. See if you have a firewall on your computer you didn't even know about. The router has its own but if you got a computer already loaded up, they may have installed a Windows firewall in there without your even knowing - I have XP.

Hope this helps.
Old 11-06-2005, 08:48 AM   #809
TiVoEvan74

My RS-TX60 continues to burn DVDs fine (both -R and -RW). I had one Memorex DVD-R that failed, but it hung the machine when I inserted it making me think there was something with it to begin with.

I know that's no consolation to those who are having problems... but it does mean that the problem isn't universal. Could there be a TX 20 vs. TX 60 difference?
Old 11-06-2005, 12:40 PM   #810
CaccaMucca

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoEvan74
My RS-TX60 continues to burn DVDs fine (both -R and -RW). I had one Memorex DVD-R that failed, but it hung the machine when I inserted it making me think there was something with it to begin with.

I know that's no consolation to those who are having problems... but it does mean that the problem isn't universal. Could there be a TX 20 vs. TX 60 difference?
I don't know if TX60s are having problems. I know TX20s and some Pioneer models are affected. My TX20 started out with 1 or 2 coasts, and now everyone of them are. Hope yours are not just starting.