TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Forum Extras > DVD TiVo Units (Archive)
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-22-2005, 01:36 PM   #751
CaccaMucca

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by sledhed
Just FYI - My RS-TX20 has had no problems burning a DVD before or after the upgrade. TiVo Basic only. I have used Maxell DVD-RW 2x, and DVD-R: Fuji (TY Japan) 8x, Verbatim 8x. I have even burned DVD-R while watching a TiVo recording and it slows down the save a bit (25 or so minutes normally), but no coasters. I have not checked all of these DVDs for playability, since I am archiving programs on them, but from what I read on here it seems coasters / partial burns with errors give error messages... I suppose I should check the DVDs to make sure they are good more often though.
Just tried the Memorex DVD-RW just now, "NO GO".

Any idea how to load the old code back on Toshiba RS-TX20s? Then we have to prevent the code from being overwritten.

If TIVO thinks that this is just an inconvenience for saving TV programs, let me tell you something, TIVO is preventing me from backing up my home videos on my DV camcorder of my little baby to the DVDs.

Is it too early to talk about a class action lawsuit?????
CaccaMucca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 01:38 PM   #752
CaccaMucca

Quote:
Just FYI - My RS-TX20 has had no problems burning a DVD before or after the upgrade. TiVo Basic only. I have used Maxell DVD-RW 2x, and DVD-R: Fuji (TY Japan) 8x, Verbatim 8x. I have even burned DVD-R while watching a TiVo recording and it slows down the save a bit (25 or so minutes normally), but no coasters. I have not checked all of these DVDs for playability, since I am archiving programs on them, but from what I read on here it seems coasters / partial burns with errors give error messages... I suppose I should check the DVDs to make sure they are good more often though.
While your Fujis are working on yours, my Fuji DVD-R 8Xs are not working. Coasters everytime, even after powering down for 8 hours.
Old 10-22-2005, 03:28 PM   #753
TiVoEvan74

What were the Memorexes? 2x? 4x? 8x?

What happens if you try it again? (One of the pluses of the -RW)

It's beginning to sound as if one needs to stick to 2x for best results, although a TDK DVD-RW 4x that came with the Humax DVD TiVo worked fine. As did a Memorex DVD-R 8x... but that was only 1 try.
TiVoEvan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 11:05 PM   #754
CaccaMucca

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoEvan74
What were the Memorexes? 2x? 4x? 8x?

What happens if you try it again? (One of the pluses of the -RW)

It's beginning to sound as if one needs to stick to 2x for best results, although a TDK DVD-RW 4x that came with the Humax DVD TiVo worked fine. As did a Memorex DVD-R 8x... but that was only 1 try.

Repeated 3 times, all failed. Memorex is a 4X.
Does anyone know where I can purchase a 1x, 2x or a 2.4x?
Old 10-23-2005, 02:49 PM   #755
jjohnson_123

DVDs

You can purchase 1x in CompUSA stores, if you have any near you. The 1x are CompUSA house brands.

I also found K Hypermedia 4x DVD-Rs and purchased a 10 pack for $7.88. The first burn last night was a success. But this morning, a burn with the same 4x media did not work (wasted a dvd).

I returned to the 2x Memorex DVD-RWs. I had 2 successful burns Thursday night. 3 attempted burns on these DVD-rws this morning did not work.

I reported this issue to Toshiba. I need to put a call into Tivo (although I did email them based on TivoEvan's suggestion). It's just that the phone queue for Tv is usually a 1/2 hour wait.

That's it for now. I'll keep following these posts and I'll post any successes. Hopefully, everyone will continue to do the same.

Just as I was about to post this I was streaming music to my machine. The music stopped. I thought it was just a dropped signal. But the tivo restarted itself. I've never had that happen before. One change I've done recently is connect a USB wireless g netgear adapter (purchased from the Tivo store) and started using the home media features (photos and music).
jjohnson_123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 04:46 PM   #756
CaccaMucca

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjohnson_123
I'll keep following these posts and I'll post any successes. Hopefully, everyone will continue to do the same.

Just as I was about to post this I was streaming music to my machine. The music stopped. I thought it was just a dropped signal. But the tivo restarted itself. I've never had that happen before. One change I've done recently is connect a USB wireless g netgear adapter (purchased from the Tivo store) and started using the home media features (photos and music).
I'll keep posting the same don't worry. I'm going down to Staples and ordering DVD-R 1X-2Xs.

So, I got 8 month of use out of $500 machine, $600 - $100(TIVO rebate).
Works out to $62 a month. $500 door stop.
Old 10-23-2005, 06:01 PM   #757
jjohnson_123

I fully understand your concerns. You purchased the machine for its tivo tv-watching/recording functionality, but your secondary reason (and very high on your list) was to archive family movies).

I do believe that tivo support does monitor this forum, so we do need to express our concerns (repeatedly and often).

With that said, I've played with the 2x DVD-RWs during the day. Not only does media seem to be important in a successful burn, but so does the amount of content you're trying to burn. For example, after many RW failures, I successfully burned 8 minutes (at high quality) of video that was transferred from video tape. Encouraged by this, I then upped the ante to as much as 36 minutes with a successful burn. This of course is not acceptable and we should not have to reduce content on a dvd and keep our fingers crossed for each successive burn.

Good luck and I hope that tivo provides a resolution as soon as possible.
Old 10-23-2005, 09:20 PM   #758
Jadd777

Thank goodness for this site. I was going crazy until I found this site describing the similar problem of being unable to burn DVD's all of a sudden. The internal error notice occurring at about 98% completion started today for me. I have had my Toshiba RSTX 20 for about a month and have burned almost daily. It's worked without any problems on about 25 memorex 4X, and about 50 memorex 8X. Now I can't burn anything. With so many people reporting the same problem within a relatively short period, it sounds like a system error. I'll try unplugging it overnight but I don't want to reboot it because I have alot of things on the hard drive I don't want to lose. I hope Tivo and Toshiba are responsive to this problem and undo or fix whatever they did. I don't like lawyers, but this is the kind of thing they talk about in class action suits. I just want my Tivo working.
Jadd777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 09:35 PM   #759
CaccaMucca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadd777
Thank goodness for this site. I was going crazy until I found this site describing the similar problem of being unable to burn DVD's all of a sudden. The internal error notice occurring at about 98% completion started today for me. I have had my Toshiba RSTX 20 for about a month and have burned almost daily. It's worked without any problems on about 25 memorex 4X, and about 50 memorex 8X. Now I can't burn anything. With so many people reporting the same problem within a relatively short period, it sounds like a system error. I'll try unplugging it overnight but I don't want to reboot it because I have alot of things on the hard drive I don't want to lose. I hope Tivo and Toshiba are responsive to this problem and undo or fix whatever they did. I don't like lawyers, but this is the kind of thing they talk about in class action suits. I just want my Tivo working.
The problem started when TIVO forced upgrade the Toshibas to 7.2.That is the problem. I hope the word gets out and Toshiba will not be able to sell another Tivo box, not with all the problems.
Old 10-24-2005, 12:51 AM   #760
tivofanatic

Burning Issues

I would not be a part of the Toshiba Owners Club, but I just purchased a Toshiba Tivo after my Pioneer Tivo quit burning DVDs. Little did I know it was a software problem. I found this out by having a brand new Toshiba that burned about 10 DVDs and then no more. I'm hoping the software issue will be resolved quickly so I can start burning DVDs again.
tivofanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 06:10 AM   #761
CaccaMucca

Quote:
Originally Posted by tivofanatic
I would not be a part of the Toshiba Owners Club, but I just purchased a Toshiba Tivo after my Pioneer Tivo quit burning DVDs. Little did I know it was a software problem. I found this out by having a brand new Toshiba that burned about 10 DVDs and then no more. I'm hoping the software issue will be resolved quickly so I can start burning DVDs again.
I know Toshibas are having problems, Pinoneer is affected, too?
What others are affected?
Old 10-24-2005, 10:17 AM   #762
TiVoEvan74

It's still interesting to me that the reports of problems are coming from Toshiba units and not from the Humax (or at least rarely). Suggests something in the Toshiba hardware itself interacting with the new OS, doesn't it? In which case, it's up to TiVo and Toshiba to get together and fix this!

I'm still curious. After a DVD-RW fails, what happens if you try burning again? I realize any failures are unacceptable, but at least that way you still have another shot at burning whereas with the -Rs you have an instant frisbee.
Old 10-24-2005, 10:48 AM   #763
ashu
User title defunct

I reiterate - I have one of each (Toshiba RSX-20 and Humax DRT-800) - burns complete succesfully on both.

Fuji Made In Japan (hence, Taiyo Yuden) 8X DVD-Rs, burn in approximately 17-23 minutes one ach (I usually burn hours worth of MEdium Quality recordings). Of course, I will run out of Fujis someday. I'm afraid to try anything but TaiyoYudens!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Too many TiVos!)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ad hoc, ad loc, and quid pro quo!
So little time! So much to know!
ashu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 07:18 PM   #764
rrman

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoEvan74
It's still interesting to me that the reports of problems are coming from Toshiba units and not from the Humax (or at least rarely). Suggests something in the Toshiba hardware itself interacting with the new OS, doesn't it? In which case, it's up to TiVo and Toshiba to get together and fix this!

I'm still curious. After a DVD-RW fails, what happens if you try burning again? I realize any failures are unacceptable, but at least that way you still have another shot at burning whereas with the -Rs you have an instant frisbee.
Well, this thread is for Toshiba owners, so Humax-only owners would not be reading this thread (whether or not Humax has problems, I don't know, since I don't read the Humax threads). I have a Toshiba and have burned half a dozen DVDs, and haven't had any problems. But, that's not exactly statistically significant (but at least has been problem free). I use Memorex 4x DVD-Rs.
rrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 07:41 PM   #765
MT-Hand

ashu,

Are your units un-modified? And if you have upgraded the HDs, did you increase the swap files?

From what I've gleamed from these forums, most of the people expereincing these post-7.2 DVD burning problems (at least with DRT's) have large HD's but haven't increased their swap.

My DRT-800 had been working (and burning) steadily for ~5 months when 7.2 hit. For the first week or two everything continued working well. Then it started to generate coasters at ~97% done. Part of the time, it would reboot itself at the point of failure. This was using the same media that had been working perfectly for months. After extensive troubleshooting, multiple reboots, and more coasters, Humax sent me a (refurbished) replacement. After getting service transfered to the replacement and re-entering all my Season Passes, I was able to burn a few disks before this one started exibiting the same problems. In fact, this one was MUCH worse. Even without burning discs this one would reboot itself every 10-15 minutes. Since this was useless, I pulled my original unit back out of the return box and reconfigured it. Maybe it couldn't burn discs, but at least it could work as a normal TiVo.

To make a long story short (okay less-long), I have now received my 3rd rebuilt unit from Humax. On a whim at one point, I decided to try burning a disc on my original unit again (after it had been unplugged for a day) -- it worked. At the moment, I have my original unit and the 3rd replacement unit. They both burn successfully immediately after a restart (if I'm not asking it to do too much at once), but gets progressively less stable over time or with successive burns.

Now I'm trying to decide which one to send back!
I'm also trying to decide if it's worth tryng to increase the size of the swap on one of these to see if that could solve the problem -- even though I they still have the stock HD's.

Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Todd

13" MacBook Pro (2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo)
OS X 10.6.4
Galleon 2.5.5
iTiVo + pyTiVoX
AppleTV
MT-Hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 01:53 PM   #766
jjohnson_123

Just received a call from Toshiba. Excellent customer service by the way. He said a 7.2.1 patch is about to be released. We should have it by month end - which is less than a week a way. So watch for it.
Old 10-25-2005, 03:31 PM   #767
TiVoEvan74

What great news! I was beginning to wonder whether I kept a potential lemon!
Old 10-25-2005, 06:31 PM   #768
ashu
User title defunct

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT-Hand
ashu,

Are your units un-modified? And if you have upgraded the HDs, did you increase the swap files?

Humax DRT800 upgraded from 80GB to 300GB (Seagate 7200.7) with a doubled swap file (255 MB, IIRC), Toshiba RSX-20 unmodified. Both running 7.2

So there. I think

It REALLY susks that some folks are having issues, all I'm saying is that if 7.2 caused them, EVERYBODY would be having them. There just seems to be a batch of BAD BAD hardware out there. That dies over time.

Note - I AM using 80-pin cables in my Humax (replaced the 40 pin default cables). This may be a red herring, because the controller may not even be 80-pin-capable (as in, can't take advantage of it). Who knows!

(Too many TiVos!)

Ad hoc, ad loc, and quid pro quo!
So little time! So much to know!
ashu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 01:30 PM   #769
DarkShadows

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjohnson_123
Just received a call from Toshiba. Excellent customer service by the way. He said a 7.2.1 patch is about to be released. We should have it by month end - which is less than a week a way. So watch for it.

I received the same call from Toshiba yesterday as well, I guess our complaining to Tivo/Toshiba paid off in the end.

Thanks to all that made the call and or emails!!
DarkShadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 08:16 PM   #770
windracer
joined the 10k club

Just to chime in (late), my stock TX20 has had no problems burning DVDs on 7.2.0 using TDK media.

|
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 07:45 AM   #771
DaisyChain

The more this goes on with no clear word on a timeframe** for a software fix... I feel more disgusted with TiVo and more cynical.

I really feel now they did this intentionally.

There have been rumors that TiVo in future is going to phase out its DVR boxes and license their program only to cable companies - obviously, tv and movie studios do not want cable co's making it easy to copy their shows. Therefore I'm sure that would have been a condition of the cable companies - "stop allowing DVD copies in your machines." There have also been rumors about TiVo making it so that shows can't save past a couple days and shows can't be saved or copied (as the case may be) at all.

Also the thing with the floating logos for ads, so we can't even fast forward past ads any more, they want us to see it. I can understand that somewhat... although it is NOT what we paid for... BUT... To charge us for a DVd burner, then INTENTIONALLY disable it???

Isn't that illegal?! Talk about planned obsolescence!!!!!!

*note I have no proof of this, but, tell me they didn't know this would happen? They developed the download didn't they? And Humax owners report the same thing. **I now see someone was told a patch will be out soon. I am sorry but I wil believe that when I see it. Maybe this was all just a dry-run for future DVR disabling. Who knows?? I do know that I just bought this thing and this wasn't funny. Bad show TiVo.
DaisyChain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 03:37 PM   #772
larrs
Movie Fan-Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkShadows
I received the same call from Toshiba yesterday as well, I guess our complaining to Tivo/Toshiba paid off in the end.

Thanks to all that made the call and or emails!!

I received the same call yesterday. At least they are consistent!

(1) Elite
(3) Premieres
(1) HD
(1) Mini
I run
with
and
larrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 03:45 PM   #773
larrs
Movie Fan-Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by azitnay
If Best Buy truly made you believe you could get the rebate, you at least have grounds for return if nothing else (and I'd push for them to honor the rebate themselves).

Drew
BB has done this for me numerous times in the past. They are usually pretty easy to deal with.

(1) Elite
(3) Premieres
(1) HD
(1) Mini
I run
with
and
larrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 12:08 PM   #774
sledhed

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaccaMucca
While your Fujis are working on yours, my Fuji DVD-R 8Xs are not working. Coasters everytime, even after powering down for 8 hours.
Wow, I wonder what the deal is here. I see where there is an update coming maccording to posts before this, I hope it does not fix your problems and in the process cause mine problems. Maybe they used different firmware? for different dvd recorder hardware? And mine happened to be a new enough model that it was compatible with the firmware? I just burned another Fuji 8x DVD-R the other day and no problem. Never have made a coaster (at least to my knowledge since many times I record to archive shows and don't play the entire dvd immediately...)

Edit: I wonder how many people are running with a nearly-full HDD. I think ours is generally never more than half full. I was wondering if there was a correlation; thinking fragmentation / swap file issues (but I really have no idea).
sledhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 03:53 PM   #775
DaisyChain

Well, my machine was brand new when this happened. I think the software update came shortly after I bought it, and I'd only had time to make one disc prior! That time it worked perfectly - the next times, coaster, after coaster, after coaster. I tried various things before coming here (I didn't hack it or anything though; just tried making sure it wasn't recording during it or playing another show... like that).

So it wasn't that it was an older machine. I think it may be that some were made in another factory though with a slightly different part in there somewhere or maybe a sturdier HD? Who knows? Some people are not having this issue at all. I doubt an update will mess theirs up; IMO this was deliberate and some sort of test. Maybe they tried to get away with it and see if we went along? Maybe this new fix will also plant something else on the HD to see who's dubbing what? Who knows. I just wish they'd left it alone.

I do think in future they will disable or make obsolete the ability to dub shows though. But for now maybe they ran into legal trouble or something. I do think it oughta be illegal if it isn't, to purposely disable what someone just paid for. False advertising at the VERY least.

I also don't think I had many shows on the machine when I was first making coasters... I just think it was something in the download. When are they gonna fix this again - and what form will it take? What do we have to do to fix it? I am getting sick of plugging it in and out every time.
DaisyChain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 01:10 PM   #776
CaccaMucca

Quote:
I wonder how many people are running with a nearly-full HDD. I think ours is generally never more than half full. I was wondering if there was a correlation; thinking fragmentation / swap file issues (but I really have no idea).
I tested that theory of gull or defraged hard drive 1 Oct. Reformatted my drive, basically started over. Only after 6 shows recorded at medium quality, I was getting DVD burn failures. So, here I wait for 7.2.1; I'll believe it when I see it.

My number 1 reason for purchasing the RS-TX20 was to save my home videos on the DVD, number 2 was TIVO and not other way around.

TIVO has left me with a bad taste in my mouth with this upgrade.

My co-worker has Comcast and he rents a DVR from the cable company for $6.99 and he can record 2 different shows on his hard drive while watching a third and it has all the features like TIVO. $6.99 is cheaper than the monthly fees charged by TIVO.
I currently have Adelphia which is getting split into two and being obsorbed by Time Warner and Comcast. I just hope my area goes to Comcast.

I'll have to hookup my Toshiba Qosmio laptop to act as a DVD burner. Oh, well.

I just want to thank everyone emailing and calling Toshiba and TIVO as I have to correct the 7.2 problem.

Once the DVD burning issue gets solved, I'm thinking about opening my box up and see how the thing is built. I found where some have replaced a 40 pin chip with there own and program. This might prevent any future software updates.

My equipment: Hardware: Toshiba RS-TX20 --> $500 door stop
Software: 7.2.0
Old 10-29-2005, 05:47 PM   #777
jjohnson_123

Quote:
Wow, I wonder what the deal is here. I see where there is an update coming maccording to posts before this, I hope it does not fix your problems and in the process cause mine problems. Maybe they used different firmware? for different dvd recorder hardware? And mine happened to be a new enough model that it was compatible with the firmware? I just burned another Fuji 8x DVD-R the other day and no problem. Never have made a coaster (at least to my knowledge since many times I record to archive shows and don't play the entire dvd immediately...)

Edit: I wonder how many people are running with a nearly-full HDD. I think ours is generally never more than half full. I was wondering if there was a correlation; thinking fragmentation / swap file issues (but I really have no idea).
In the past week, I've been testing the dvd burning issue in my own unscientific way, trying to find a common denominator for the problem. I'm beginning to think that it has nothing to do with the recording media - as long as it is in the realm of the required 1x - 8x -R or -RW media.

I was frustrated last weekend because I was getting internal failures on my recordings, irregardless of the media.

But last weekend, I had transferred the highlights of 3 older vhs tapes from my Sony vcr to my Toshiba RS-TX60. One block of video was about an hour, another a 1/2 hour, and two or three other pieces of video - all over five minutes but under 12 minutes. After repeated tries, I was only able to capture the smaller videos to 2x DVD-RWs. I ended up deleting the hour piece and the 1/2 piece.

During the ensuing week, I only had recordings that were made from my TIVO season passes. I made multiple burns - all successful - from the direct Tivo tuner to hard drive recordings. Feeling pretty good about things, I grabbed my original Fujifilm 8x DVD-Rs and made a burn of Alias episodes. It burned fine even with my Tivo to Go server running and while another show was recording that evening (my stress test).

So, today I pulled out a video tape of last year's West Wings and recorded from my vcr to my Tivo. I popped in my 2x DVD-RW and tested things out. Guess what? It failed. So, in my case, I think it's a factor of dubbing from a VHS tape to the Tivo via the composite link in the front of the Toshiba (these are the RCA inputs - yellow, red, and white).

My question: Could this be a problem when converting from tape, whether it be a vcr or camcorder, to digital storage? This may explain why some people have been saying that they haven't experienced the problem - that is, they're not recording from an external source. Here's where I'm not very knowledgeable; is this an encoding/decoding problem with the software? Or is that the wrong terminology.

At any rate, I'd be interested if those who were having burn failures were recording originally from external sources, or were they just simple season pass recordings that wouldn't burn. In my case it's just the vcr to tivo recordings that I can't save to dvd.

Let me know. Thanks.
Old 10-30-2005, 12:30 AM   #778
stampar

Question Editing ???

Was hoping to be able to do some basic editing of my home videos once transferred to the RS-TX' hard drive. No can do. Can't even edit the TITLE of a transferred video. It is likely there is something I don't know, since I'm new to this.
Also, once saved to DVD - loss of quality is noticeable even though recorded in the HIGH mode.
Any help will be tremendously appreciated.
stampar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 11:31 AM   #779
TiVoEvan74

A data point here... my only burnings, all successful, were from TiVo recorded shows.

By the way, can one add shows to a DVD-RW that already has a few things burned to it? Or can you only burn an entire disk?
Old 10-30-2005, 03:46 PM   #780
azitnay

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampar
Was hoping to be able to do some basic editing of my home videos once transferred to the RS-TX' hard drive. No can do. Can't even edit the TITLE of a transferred video. It is likely there is something I don't know, since I'm new to this.
The TiVo hardware isn't really suited for heavy editing.

As for editing the title, you get to choose a title when you record from the VCR in the first place.

Drew
azitnay is offline   Reply With Quote