TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Forum Extras > DVD TiVo Units (Archive)
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-14-2005, 09:00 AM   #721
Knowbusiness

New to the thread, just bought an open box 20 at Best buy. Found out later it was a return (someone's info was on it). I paid $199, which nets the rebate. For those who paid more, you just got to push the issue a bit. Best Buy is working to get them off the shelf and clear space.
Knowbusiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 10:15 AM   #722
TiVoEvan74

Clear space for what?
TiVoEvan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 10:19 AM   #723
TiVoEvan74

It's been awhile and I may have asked this before... but are the burning problems showing up with the -RW discs? Or is it only -R discs?

And, besides cost, why wouldn't it make more sense to get -RW, unless you really are just thinking archives... and given the failure issues... wouldn't -RW make more sense. I mean if someone is getting only 60-70% success rate, then, at least, with -RW, they'd be set and there'd be no money lost!

In fact, the -RW would become more price competitive at that rate!
Old 10-14-2005, 10:20 AM   #724
ashu
User title defunct

Umm, their Magnolia (utter overpriced crap) Home Theater showrooms?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Too many TiVos!)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ad hoc, ad loc, and quid pro quo!
So little time! So much to know!
ashu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2005, 07:55 AM   #725
DaisyChain

Well, no one replied to my message whatsoever But I see you have all been discussing this same issue I've been having.

My Toshiba TiVo is brand-new and I only got burns for about a day before they began failing with 'internal error' at about 98 percent done. Basically at the point of finalising. Maddening.

I'm using Sony DVD-R that I bought not long after the TiVo. Will be watching this thread hoping for news. Had no idea that it was the software download (when and where did that happen?).

So even though it wasn't for me per se, thanks for saving me a trip back to the store anyway

ETA: Kind of a silly question, but... Would it work to hook the TiVo up to a separate DVD burner? Entirely separate unit? If so, should we avoid buying the same brand (Toshiba)? In case of any built-in problems the hardware has with this new software update? I know that sometimes same-brand hardware doesn't work due to it being on the same type of remote... That's what I have had happen in the past anyway. Remotes just stop working (yes, yes there are batteries in them :P)

The only reason we'd keep the DVR at this point if it doesn't burn too, is due to the ample storage on the unit. We actually wanted the Humax 80 hour but no one had it. This one was the last in stock (it was still in the box). Looks like we should have held out for the Humax DVR/DVD burner??

Any input is welcome. I'm not very techy, obviously. Oh and... whatever TiVo to Go is, they can keep it. I just wanted my plain old DVD/DVR.

Last edited by DaisyChain : 10-15-2005 at 08:02 AM.
DaisyChain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2005, 08:34 AM   #726
TiVoEvan74

Just curious DaisyChain, whether you have tried DVD-RW disks?

Also, does your Toshiba burn DVDs if you aren't using it for other things?

In other words, is it really a complete door stop or do you have some DVD burning abilities?

I've never used a separate DVD burner with a TiVo, but posts on these boards say it's doable, but that built-in DVD burning gets you the TiVo menus and is preferred! (obviously not if the burning is flakey!)
Old 10-17-2005, 08:22 AM   #727
ber

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoEvan74
It's been awhile and I may have asked this before... but are the burning problems showing up with the -RW discs? Or is it only -R discs?

And, besides cost, why wouldn't it make more sense to get -RW, unless you really are just thinking archives... and given the failure issues... wouldn't -RW make more sense. I mean if someone is getting only 60-70% success rate, then, at least, with -RW, they'd be set and there'd be no money lost!

In fact, the -RW would become more price competitive at that rate!
Excellent question and comments. I have had problems off and on for over a month on burning failures....sometimes during the "preparation" phase and sometimes in the saving phase. I finally called TIVO...their technical suggestion was to do an entire system reset. My problem was i wanted to save a lot on programs on my drive before doing this. I decided to do two things- after reading a number of posts...i decided to get the slowest speed discs i could find, i.e., less than 8X....and i also decided to get -RW( for the reasons mentioned in the referenced post).....in short i got a 25 pack of Sony 2x DVD-RW for $15 at Staples....burned six without problems...i then consulted the RS TX 20 manual...which specifies that this speed is compatible with the machine (and I wonder if maybe the 8X and highers are simply not compatible- though 8X definately used to work regularly before that TIVO software update.
ber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 09:02 AM   #728
Kracko

I had an odd problem yesterday that I don't recall seeing discussed here.

I have my video camera plugged into the DVI port and yesterday no matter what I tried Tivo didn't see anything coming in. The Tivo would detect that the camera was there and turned on but it would not see the video or audio.

I tried resetting to no avail and finally pulled the plug out for about an hour. That seemed to fix it. I've recorded 3 2 hour tapes since that with no problem. (I haven't burned any of these yet.)
Old 10-17-2005, 03:19 PM   #729
TiVoEvan74

ber thanks for the report... glad the DVD-RWs by SONY are working well. That's a good price isn't it? 25 for $15! I need to get over to Staples right away!

Did it take a long time to burn them? Don't they usually say 15 minutes for a 1 hour show? Or is that for Basic Quality?
Old 10-17-2005, 03:44 PM   #730
ber

Quote:
ber thanks for the report... glad the DVD-RWs by SONY are working well. That's a good price isn't it? 25 for $15! I need to get over to Staples right away!

Did it take a long time to burn them? Don't they usually say 15 minutes for a 1 hour show? Or is that for Basic Quality?

Your welcome

Yes it was a good price...i picked them up Saturday for $14.99...hopefully that Sale is not over...given that sometimes they start new sales on Sundays. I didn't even see these 2X discs at Best Buy....I was a bit concerned that the 2X would take hours to burn the disks...not the case. I put two hours of programing at High Quality (or whatever the second best quality is on the Toshibas...and it took just a little longer than when i used to burn at 8X....it says 59 minutes to burn 2 hours of stuff...on the menu ....but it took about 25 minutes or so...I would definately recommend (and no i don't work for Sony!!!! ha ha) for everyone with problems to at least give these 2X speed DVD-RW's a shot....the specs on them are identical to those in the Toshiba RS-TX20 manual...so it is worth a shot!
Old 10-18-2005, 07:45 AM   #731
mxylplik2

Will the composite audio output and the digital optical output work at the same time (RS-TX 60)?

I have the component video and composite audio to VIDEO 1 on the back of my tv so that we don't have to turn on the receiver every time we watch tv. But I would like to be able to feed a better audio signal to my receiver when I watch movies. So, I can mute VIDEO 1 and then turn on the receiver when I want to hear sound out of my 5.1 system. Thanks.
mxylplik2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 08:51 AM   #732
Runch Machine

Yes, both audio outputs work at the same time. I have mine hooked up the same way you plan to connect yours.
DirecTV HR20 DVR with 1 terrabyte Drive inside.
Runch Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 09:25 AM   #733
Bigtattoo

I find it interesting that your Video 1 input is component (Y,Pb,Pr) as most TVs this would be a composite A/V input (Y,W,R) no matter the R/W outs on the Toshiba are analog and your proposed digital audio connection to your receiver should work fine.
Bigtattoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 09:49 AM   #734
larrs
Movie Fan-Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowbusiness
New to the thread, just bought an open box 20 at Best buy. Found out later it was a return (someone's info was on it). I paid $199, which nets the rebate. For those who paid more, you just got to push the issue a bit. Best Buy is working to get them off the shelf and clear space.

I believe these units (Tivo in General) are causing problems for BB. I recently bought a Humax to add to my other three Tivos that was an open box and returned it after it wouldn;t even make it through the setup. Best Buy sent me a card that said somthing like: "Our records indicate that you recently returned a Tivo unit you purchased from us. Please log on to the following address and take a few minutes to tell us your experience and why you returned the unit." I haven't done it yet, but I'll bet it is because of all the returns.

(1) Elite
(3) Premieres
(1) HD
(1) Mini
I run
with
and
larrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 09:53 AM   #735
larrs
Movie Fan-Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtattoo
I find it interesting that your Video 1 input is component (Y,Pb,Pr) as most TVs this would be a composite A/V input (Y,W,R) no matter the R/W outs on the Toshiba are analog and your proposed digital audio connection to your receiver should work fine.
My new plasma hasa component on vid one as well. I believe this is a trend in new sets. Mine are actually:

Vid 1: component
Vid2: component
vid 3: HDMI
Vid 4: S-video
Vid 5: composite

Looks like we'll need an A/V receiver from now on if we have more than one legacy composite piece of equipment.

(1) Elite
(3) Premieres
(1) HD
(1) Mini
I run
with
and
larrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 11:09 AM   #736
ashu
User title defunct

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrs
My new plasma hasa component on vid one as well. I believe this is a trend in new sets. Mine are actually:

Looks like we'll need an A/V receiver from now on if we have more than one legacy composite piece of equipment.
That's the way to go! Get one with good component up-conversion (mine does that to SVideo and Composite, and even up-converts composite to SVideo - Yamaha HTR-5790) and you'll be golden!

(Too many TiVos!)

Old 10-19-2005, 01:13 PM   #737
Tiresius

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrs
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashu
That's the way to go! Get one with good component up-conversion (mine does that to SVideo and Composite, and even up-converts composite to SVideo - Yamaha HTR-5790) and you'll be golden!
Just one guys opinion but I disagree. I really prefer to do video switching with the TV and run all audio to BOTH the TV and the receiver. This way I can watch TV without having to fire up a whole rack of audio gear and roomful of speakers just to watch "Seinfeld" reruns. When I want to watch Movies or "Smallville" in full 5.1 glory, then I fire up the big receiver.

This is really easy with my Harmony remote. If I want to watch a DVD or Tivo'd TV with the reciever, I choose the activity "Watch Tivo-DVD Surround" if I just want to watch some simple TV and don't need all that gear I choose "Watch Tivo-DVD". The remote knows exactly which gear to fire up, which inputs to set and where to control volume for each activity.

I have three primary AV sources for watching stuff
1. Tivo-DVD unit(Component -480p)
2. Roku Photobridge(Component -1080i)
3. Cox Cable HD-PVR(DVI -1080i)

These equate into 6 different activities on the remote, plus a few others for various audio-only listening. I have other input sources on the TV that I'm not using right now, but I'm really glad they're there so I could hook up a VCR or my series 1 tivo if I needed to. I believe that even the non DVD series two tivos have s-video as they're best video connection.

Didn't mean to run a Harmony remote add to the group. (but it is really cool)

I did want to point out that I really dislike the idea of having to fire up a big power comsuming, heat generating rack of gear to watch a little simple television. It's very disturbing to me that TV manufacturers might acutally be cutting BACK on inputs to save $5-10 on a $3,000+ big screen TV
Don't get me wrong I love big, thunderous, multichannel sound as much as anyone - when I'm watching T2 or Alias, but I certainly don't need 700+ watts worth of audio for sitcoms & the evening news.

The bigger and badder your receiver is, the less sense it makes to fire it up for EVERYTHING you watch.

There are downsides to my way of doing it, one of which is more cables. Without a great activity based remote like the Harmony it might also be more complex to control.

Again -just one guys humble opinion/preference.

Cheers,
Ray
Tiresius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 01:23 PM   #738
ashu
User title defunct

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiresius
Don't get me wrong I love big, thunderous, multichannel sound as much as anyone - when I'm watching T2 or Alias, but I certainly don't need 700+ watts worth of audio for sitcoms & the evening news.
Mine has this HUGE round knob on the right side ...

Quote:
The bigger and badder your receiver is, the less sense it makes to fire it up for EVERYTHING you watch.
TV speakers are generally AWFUL (even when they aren't woefully inadequate). If I've paid for better speakers, I WILL use them ALL the time, rather than miss dialogue and even stereo separation!
[/quote]

Quote:
Again -just one guys humble opinion/preference.
And I don't think any the less of you for it ... that's why they're called opinions/preferences ... and recommendations

(Too many TiVos!)

Old 10-19-2005, 05:14 PM   #739
Giovanna145

Had a quick question for the tivo finatics. There is a favorite channel set up in the setup menu. How do you access the favorite channels? IE; on my tv, i could click on the button "fav chan" and scroll up/down on the list of fav channels. Thanks.
Giovanna145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 06:33 AM   #740
Bigtattoo

Quote:

With the trend towards all external devices going more and more to digital I guess this shouldn't be too surprising.
Bigtattoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 05:43 PM   #741
CaccaMucca

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by ber
Excellent question and comments. I have had problems off and on for over a month on burning failures....sometimes during the "preparation" phase and sometimes in the saving phase. I finally called TIVO...their technical suggestion was to do an entire system reset.
Sorry to burst your bubble, I've reset my system twice, no dice. I'm getting 100% internal failure rate.

Unplugging the Toshiba for more than 6 hours helped only once and back to internal errors.

WE NEED A SOFTWARE FIX PERIOD!!!
I DON'T USE TIVO TO GO, SO PLEASE GET IN BACK TO THE PREVIOUS VERSION.

This sucks.
CaccaMucca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 06:53 PM   #742
jjohnson_123

Thanks, also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ber
Your welcome

Yes it was a good price...i picked them up Saturday for $14.99...hopefully that Sale is not over...given that sometimes they start new sales on Sundays. I didn't even see these 2X discs at Best Buy....I was a bit concerned that the 2X would take hours to burn the disks...not the case. I put two hours of programing at High Quality (or whatever the second best quality is on the Toshibas...and it took just a little longer than when i used to burn at 8X....it says 59 minutes to burn 2 hours of stuff...on the menu ....but it took about 25 minutes or so...I would definately recommend (and no i don't work for Sony!!!! ha ha) for everyone with problems to at least give these 2X speed DVD-RW's a shot....the specs on them are identical to those in the Toshiba RS-TX20 manual...so it is worth a shot!
I have an RS-TX60 and could also not burn any dvd-rs after the recent software upgrade. I wasted about 4 dvd-rs before I found the posting in this forum. The spindle of dvds I had were FujiFilm 8x. I tried to reset the machine from the tivo menu - the burn still did not work. Then I pulled the plug for about 45 minutes and tried again - it still did not work.

Last night I tried the Sony DVD-RW option with the 2x speed DVD-RWs and it worked! So, thanks guys. I may try to buy DVD-Rs that are less than 8x, I may need to shop around, though, because I didn't see anything less than 8x in the Staples I was in last night.

I'm looking forward to the software patch and want to use the rest of the spindle of 8x dvds that i still have (obviously).

thanks again.
jjohnson_123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 10:02 PM   #743
DarkShadows

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaccaMucca
Sorry to burst your bubble, I've reset my system twice, no dice. I'm getting 100% internal failure rate.

Unplugging the Toshiba for more than 6 hours helped only once and back to internal errors.

WE NEED A SOFTWARE FIX PERIOD!!!
I DON'T USE TIVO TO GO, SO PLEASE GET IN BACK TO THE PREVIOUS VERSION.

This sucks.
I feel your pain I talked to TIVO today and the droid who works there told me that there is nothing wrong with the software update, that it's working fine with other DVD burners such as the Humax unit.

It's really starting to piss me off when I read the some peeps on this site have sent their units to Toshiba to be fixed and come back with the same problem and Tivo says that the problem is not on their end.

Doesn't anyone out there know how to re load the old software on this unit to test this theory of the software being the issue?

Obviously TIVO is not going to do anything and Toshiba could care less since they are moving out of the TIVO partnership.
DarkShadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 08:21 AM   #744
TiVoEvan74

Well, complain in writing and via the web site.

Also, flood the TiVo suggestions web site with a specific request to fix this.

http://research.tivo.com/suggestions/2web519.htm

---->>> By the way, anyone tested DVD-RWs at faster than 2x to see if they work?
Old 10-21-2005, 09:00 AM   #745
ber

Quote:
Well, complain in writing and via the web site.

Also, flood the TiVo suggestions web site with a specific request to fix this.

http://research.tivo.com/suggestions/2web519.htm

---->>> By the way, anyone tested DVD-RWs at faster than 2x to see if they work?

YES TIVOEVAN74, I have the same question.... has anyone else other than me tried the 2X speed discs...they definately cleared up the problem entirely for me!!! As indicated in my prior post i used Sony 2x DVD-RW discs....they have worked perfect...no errors at all!!!! Though when i went to get another pack they were much more expensive...i think the Staples i went to had mislabled them at $14.99 for 25!!!!
Old 10-21-2005, 09:08 AM   #746
ber

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkShadows
I feel your pain I talked to TIVO today and the droid who works there told me that there is nothing wrong with the software update, that it's working fine with other DVD burners such as the Humax unit.

It's really starting to piss me off when I read the some peeps on this site have sent their units to Toshiba to be fixed and come back with the same problem and Tivo says that the problem is not on their end.

Doesn't anyone out there know how to re load the old software on this unit to test this theory of the software being the issue?

Obviously TIVO is not going to do anything and Toshiba could care less since they are moving out of the TIVO partnership.

Question Dark Shadows...when you reset entirely...does the system during its 1 hour reset process...immediately add the TIVO to GO software as the operating system...or does the machine initially have the factory software version in place ...i assume unfortunately the former...i would have been great in retrospect...for TIVO not to automatically force new versions of the software on us...and allow us to elect its use...to the extent we needed it....why afterall with the RS-TX is there any need whatsoever to have TIVO to GO.!!! None of us need it....and it is just causing a problem....please though- and i think you can buy the discs in packages of one....for all of our benefit....go get a SONY 2x DVD-RW and let us know if it works in your machine!!!!!!...as i stated before...the manual for the TOSHIBA expressly states that this speed and version is compatible...and if your using 8X and 16X or even 4X discs....toshiba can always hide behind the fact that they are not necessarily compatible....i used 8X before this switch in software...they just dont work now!!!
Old 10-21-2005, 09:58 AM   #747
azitnay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giovanna145
Had a quick question for the tivo finatics. There is a favorite channel set up in the setup menu. How do you access the favorite channels? IE; on my tv, i could click on the button "fav chan" and scroll up/down on the list of fav channels. Thanks.
I believe there is an option in the guide to display only favorite channels.

Drew
azitnay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 10:17 AM   #748
ashu
User title defunct

Quote:
Originally Posted by azitnay
I believe there is an option in the guide to display only favorite channels.

Drew
Hit the Info (or Enter on the Toshiba SD-H400) remote button while viewing the Guide. Lots of godo stuff there

(Too many TiVos!)

Old 10-21-2005, 04:38 PM   #749
sledhed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ber
Question Dark Shadows...when you reset entirely...does the system during its 1 hour reset process...immediately add the TIVO to GO software as the operating system...or does the machine initially have the factory software version in place ...i assume unfortunately the former...i would have been great in retrospect...for TIVO not to automatically force new versions of the software on us...and allow us to elect its use...to the extent we needed it....why afterall with the RS-TX is there any need whatsoever to have TIVO to GO.!!! None of us need it....and it is just causing a problem....please though- and i think you can buy the discs in packages of one....for all of our benefit....go get a SONY 2x DVD-RW and let us know if it works in your machine!!!!!!...as i stated before...the manual for the TOSHIBA expressly states that this speed and version is compatible...and if your using 8X and 16X or even 4X discs....toshiba can always hide behind the fact that they are not necessarily compatible....i used 8X before this switch in software...they just dont work now!!!
Just FYI - My RS-TX20 has had no problems burning a DVD before or after the upgrade. TiVo Basic only. I have used Maxell DVD-RW 2x, and DVD-R: Fuji (TY Japan) 8x, Verbatim 8x. I have even burned DVD-R while watching a TiVo recording and it slows down the save a bit (25 or so minutes normally), but no coasters. I have not checked all of these DVDs for playability, since I am archiving programs on them, but from what I read on here it seems coasters / partial burns with errors give error messages... I suppose I should check the DVDs to make sure they are good more often though.
sledhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 06:53 AM   #750
TiVoEvan74

Appreciate the feedback, especially on the types of DVDs you've used. So, Maxell DVD-RWs 2x work.

Has anyone tried returning a coaster? In other words, if the DVD manufacturer or retailer guarantees them for a year or whatever against failure...