TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Forum Extras > DVD TiVo Units (Archive)
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-05-2005, 06:56 AM   #691
TiVoEvan74

Hmm... did you discover that it didn't work with just one AE? Is it an old house with lots of plaster, solidly built? Or is it simply a distance problem, two floors being two much?

We're running a closed Mac network too.. with just one AE, but only 1 floor away from the TiVo, with a Linksys wireless adapter off the TiVo.
TiVoEvan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 02:09 PM   #692
prof_fate

I need a copy of a UPC code from an RS-TX20 box.
I bought a catory serviced unit form bestBuy and it did not include the box (or manuals, cables, etc).
Anyone got one that they can email or fax to me by chance?
I tried the online pre-approval rebate thing, but a)it doesn't work, claiming errors on their end, and b)you need the UPC numbers to even submit that way.
PM me or replay here.
thanks!
prof_fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 02:12 PM   #693
azitnay

Unless someone at the rebate fulfillment house is asleep at the switch, you're not going to be able to use someone else's UPC... Each one has the unit's TSN listed on it.

Drew
azitnay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 02:22 PM   #694
TiVoEvan74

Plus, the rebate program and form explicitly rules out demo or open box units. Sorry, you're out of luck (and should be!).

Enjoy the RS-TX20... it's still worth it.
Old 10-05-2005, 02:27 PM   #695
prof_fate

Quote:
Originally Posted by azitnay
Unless someone at the rebate fulfillment house is asleep at the switch, you're not going to be able to use someone else's UPC... Each one has the unit's TSN listed on it.

Drew
Not an issue. All they need is a photocopy. I have photoshop and some skills. I can make the TSN number match mine. if any local store had a box i'd just go there and take a photo of it and go from there. however, the only boxed units i can find are 250 miles away.
Old 10-05-2005, 02:29 PM   #696
prof_fate

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoEvan74
Plus, the rebate program and form explicitly rules out demo or open box units. Sorry, you're out of luck (and should be!).

Enjoy the RS-TX20... it's still worth it.

It would have been nice to know this ahead of time. I did save $50 by going open box, but could have gotten a boxed unit if i wanted to wait about a week. this was not explained to my by teh Best buy folks (4 of them at 2 different stores...but they certainly played up the rebate and made sure i had copies of the receipts and rebate forms!)
Old 10-05-2005, 03:09 PM   #697
azitnay

Quote:
Originally Posted by prof_fate
Not an issue. All they need is a photocopy. I have photoshop and some skills. I can make the TSN number match mine. if any local store had a box i'd just go there and take a photo of it and go from there. however, the only boxed units i can find are 250 miles away.
In that case, I hope TiVo will stop allowing photocopies.

I'm guessing most of us around here aren't going to be too supportive of defrauding a TiVo rebate promotion with Photoshop.

Drew
Old 10-05-2005, 03:09 PM   #698
azitnay

Quote:
Originally Posted by prof_fate
It would have been nice to know this ahead of time. I did save $50 by going open box, but could have gotten a boxed unit if i wanted to wait about a week. this was not explained to my by teh Best buy folks (4 of them at 2 different stores...but they certainly played up the rebate and made sure i had copies of the receipts and rebate forms!)
If Best Buy truly made you believe you could get the rebate, you at least have grounds for return if nothing else (and I'd push for them to honor the rebate themselves).

Drew
Old 10-05-2005, 11:15 PM   #699
prof_fate

I am not defrauding or trying to defraud on the rebate.
i bought a Tivo unit, paid for a subscription. i did my part.
I will call BestBuy and ask about the UPC and rebate. perhaps i can get a manager to do something. I have gone 'round the mulberry bush with a differnet BB location about a dishwasher - you cannot get face to face with a manager in those places. I did 'win', and got a smokin deal a floor model fridge 3 days before Xmas once (they had the wrong tag on it...i paid $689 for a $1100 fridge) without much hassle. Perhaps the christmas spirit? The dishwasher incident was NOT a pleasant 3 days, 2 trips, 5 or 6 phone calls....

as to best buy - they will take ANYTHING back in 30 days. I will check on this - perhaps i can return it and get they can get a boxed unit in. problem is - only 4 boxed units in the entire region of 11 stores.

if i go that route (will save about $100 - $150 rebate less $50 open box discount) then my TiVo number will be different - how difficult is it to 'move' one's subscription from a unit to another (monthly plan)?

Since this was a factory serviced unit (it was used in ohio, on a network - i know this cause i had to re-set it) i presume it has been repaired. it may be better now than a 'new' unit.

at some point the hassle factor exceeds the benefits.

Like the wireless connector. I got a WG111, but NOT a WG72 serial number. it downloads the program listings just fine, but the media servier works when it wants to.
Old 10-06-2005, 07:33 AM   #700
azitnay

Given that Best Buy misled you, if the only way to get the rebate is going to be returning your used unit and buying a new one for $50 more, I'd push for Best Buy to give you a $50 discount.

You don't move a monthly plan -- you simply cancel the original monthly and sign up for a new monthly. Actually, since it's been less than 30 days, you should even be able to get a refund from TiVo for the original month you paid for.

Drew
Old 10-06-2005, 08:43 PM   #701
MikeRadio

I'm new to the Toshibaland

After purchasing my brother a HUMAX unit, I decided to get a Toshiba with built in DVD due to the bigger hard drive.. 160 hours.

I LOVE the integration, and am tired of copying things to a standalone DVD burner, especially the new Sony I bought which is a pain when it comes to copy protection. I do follow the law, bujt copying from a Tivo to a DVD for my own use and to empty the Tivo shouldnt be illegal!

That being said, with the Toshiba units... can you copy to DVD a movie recorded on Tivo.. or TV show.. without incident? I know it has copy protection, and I am not talking about copying purchased DVDs.. but over the air shows.

I see it has a function where some are "restricted" from being burned.. Is this common or not?

Also, I have comcast.. does the cable company control the Macrovision being sent down on shows?

Help appreciated. Unit coming tomorrow!!
MikeRadio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 05:52 AM   #702
Rick 5155

I have Comcast digital cable and can dub directly to DVD (on my Toshiba RS-TX20) any movie from HBO, STARZ, or Encore that I have recorded. The same applies to any TV show as well. Just go to now playing and select your program or movie and then select record to DVD.
Rick 5155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 11:44 AM   #703
Tiresius

I have Cox cable and also have not run into a show or movie that could not be burned straight to DVD. Wording in the manual seems to indicate that there may be some content that cannot be burned, but in practice I have never seen this happen ...yet.
It has already been stated here, but you cannot directly copy from a DVD to the hard drive. I have also found that I cannot record from my Cable Company PVR to the Tivo via the firewire inputs, so I have to use S-Video. Camcorder via the firewire works fine and the PVR to a PC works as well, so this appears to be another Tivo copy protection mechanism.
Tiresius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 07:55 AM   #704
ber

Any furhter updates

From the group of individuals who were having errors burning disks since the recent software upgrade by TIVO?

My system played fine for a while....a week or so...then the same problem again...and the same solution...powering down for an extended period....think i may try some 4X discs
ber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 08:59 AM   #705
cochise49

Thumbs up Toshiba Unit is Great

I have a 60 and have made several recordings. I haven't viewed any of them yet. I have had two Tivos with HMO since March 04 so most of the features were familiar. One issue I have is that if you want to record more than 60 minutes, the Toshiba unit requires you to use one DVD-R for each hour. I always Tivo in best quality so maybe I could get an entire movie on one DVD-R if I reduced the quality. Don't really want to do that. I don't think the unit supports dual layer technology so I will have to deal with that minor detail. The unit is great. My original Tivo2 with a Weaknees drive upgrade fell to the floor when the entertainment center shelf failed while we were on vacation. Wouldn't boot anymore so I replaced it with this one that already had 200 hours built-in. I will look forward to seeing if a drive upgrade will be possible to do but feel that 200 hours is plenty if I am burning the best stuff to DVD.
cochise49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 10:11 AM   #706
TiVoEvan74

And we record in Basic, so we get the full 200 hours! Plus with the option of DVDing, I'm not sure we need to upgrade the HD at all.
Old 10-09-2005, 09:53 PM   #707
CaccaMucca

Quote:
Originally Posted by ber
From the group of individuals who were having errors burning disks since the recent software upgrade by TIVO?

My system played fine for a while....a week or so...then the same problem again...and the same solution...powering down for an extended period....think i may try some 4X discs

I reformatted my hard drive on my TX-RS20, started fresh, basically returning it to the factory state, had only 1 out of 20 disks go bad. I stopped burning when Tivo hard drive is recording another program. RS20 locked up totally once requiring me to pull the plug on it. Will burn some tomorrow and post my results.
CaccaMucca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 11:22 AM   #708
DarkShadows

I unplugged mine last weekend for six hours then powered up and went back to the Fuji DVD-R's.

The first 6 burned just fine then the next two failed. Since that time I have burnt 21 discs with no problem.

I am still waiting to hear back from Toshiba it's been a week since I called them and no response.

Honestly I am kinda in a quandry with this thing if i send it back and they send me another, more than likely per some earlier posts I will still have the same problems.

For now if i am buying 30 discs and can burn 22-25 of them without fail I can live with that.
DarkShadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 12:20 PM   #709
tunabeard
Tunabeard

Blank DVD -R Media Rating

On a scale of 1(being the lowest) to 5(being the best)
how would you rate various Blank DVD -R Media?

Verbatim, TDK, Maxell, Fuji, Sony
tunabeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 12:53 PM   #710
DarkShadows

Quote:
Originally Posted by tunabeard
On a scale of 1(being the lowest) to 5(being the best)
how would you rate various Blank DVD -R Media?

Verbatim, TDK, Maxell, Fuji, Sony

Verbatim********* 3

TDK************* 4

Fuji************* 4+

Maxell*********** 2

Sony************ 3

Old 10-10-2005, 01:05 PM   #711
ashu
User title defunct

Caveat: Fuji and TDK rank 5 IF the UPC/bar code says "Made in Japan". Otherwise they're a solid 3.

Taiyo Yuden magic, of course.

I'd put Sony/Maxell/Memorex/Verbatim at a consistent 2.5ish, and the noname cheap spindle-less (cakeboxes) sets at a 1 through -1

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Too many TiVos!)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ad hoc, ad loc, and quid pro quo!
So little time! So much to know!
ashu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 01:08 PM   #712
tunabeard
Tunabeard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkShadows
Verbatim********* 3

TDK************* 4

Fuji************* 4+

Maxell*********** 2

Sony************ 3

I've never tried using any other media except Verbatim. I usually see stores like Comp USA sell base generic(non-Verbatim) and rarely ever see any TDK nor Fuji and places like Rite-Aid of all places sell Maxell.

What about Best Buy and Circuit City? what do they common sell out of?
Old 10-10-2005, 03:04 PM   #713
DarkShadows

Quote:
Originally Posted by tunabeard
What about Best Buy and Circuit City? what do they common sell out of?
I don't typically buy my media from Best Buy, although they have I think Memorex on sale now, Circuit City moves tons of TDK and Sony.

I buy my Fuji's at Staples, 30 packs last week were going for $8.94.

Last edited by DarkShadows : 10-10-2005 at 03:14 PM.
Old 10-10-2005, 03:58 PM   #714
tunabeard
Tunabeard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkShadows
I don't typically buy my media from Best Buy, although they have I think Memorex on sale now, Circuit City moves tons of TDK and Sony.

I buy my Fuji's at Staples, 30 packs last week were going for $8.94.
____________________________________________________________ ________

cool thanks for the followthrough "Dark", I'll have to take a quick spin to the Staples by me here in Staten Island and check those out.
Old 10-11-2005, 08:40 AM   #715
CaccaMucca

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by ber

I'm finding out that I have to power down the unit after every burn in order to get a 100% burn rate, that is without failure.
My failure rate increases on 2nd burn and up. I used to get 100% burn rate while burning when my Toshiba was recording another program off the cable, now it has 100% failure rate.

All this started with the 7.2 software upgrade.

I believe the issue is with the processing power of the box, it is under powered and anything you ask it to do while the DVD is burning, bye bye DVD media.

I don't use nor need the Tivo on the Go. I want to go back to 5.x or whatever software I had before 7.2 was pushed down my throat.
Old 10-11-2005, 09:57 AM   #716
ber

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaccaMucca
I'm finding out that I have to power down the unit after every burn in order to get a 100% burn rate, that is without failure.
My failure rate increases on 2nd burn and up. I used to get 100% burn rate while burning when my Toshiba was recording another program off the cable, now it has 100% failure rate.

All this started with the 7.2 software upgrade.

I believe the issue is with the processing power of the box, it is under powered and anything you ask it to do while the DVD is burning, bye bye DVD media.

I don't use nor need the Tivo on the Go. I want to go back to 5.x or whatever software I had before 7.2 was pushed down my throat.

Thanks for the information. My Toshiba problems also date back slightly after TIVO to GO....although there appears to be a bit of confusion with Toshiba and Tivo on this issue...and whether the problem exists...clearly seems, based upon the feedback here...to exist.

The one thing which i have never correlated...until you suggested it....is the failure rate of burns- while TIVO is recording a program...thanks for the hypothesis..my machine now appears to be working ok....but i think you might be right....it burns welll--when it is idol- and there are system failures...when it is recording additional programing.

Bob
ber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 11:14 AM   #717
Tiresius

Hey guys, I hate to burst your bubbles but... the Tivo is ALWAYS recording. In fact, since live TV is always recorded at Best quality, it's probably working harder then than with most scheduled recordings, unless you always record at Best.

Maybe there is some other issue that causes the failed burns while a scheduled recording is going, but it seems unlikely to me that it is workload or processing power related. Just my humble opinion. I hope that Tivo & Toshiba can sort it out soon, especially for those of you that are up against return deadlines.
Tiresius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 02:58 PM   #718
CaccaMucca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiresius
Hey guys, I hate to burst your bubbles but... the Tivo is ALWAYS recording. In fact, since live TV is always recorded at Best quality, it's probably working harder then than with most scheduled recordings, unless you always record at Best.

Maybe there is some other issue that causes the failed burns while a scheduled recording is going, but it seems unlikely to me that it is workload or processing power related. Just my humble opinion. I hope that Tivo & Toshiba can sort it out soon, especially for those of you that are up against return deadlines.

I see your point, but there must be more processing power involved when actually storing and saving it longer term on the hard drive. I've seen it time to time where Toshiba gets sluggish scrolling throught the menus etc. when it is recording.

I'll ask the community members to chime in on their thoughts.

Thanks
Old 10-12-2005, 03:30 PM   #719
TiVoEvan74

also, it's NOT always recording. You can switch it to a Live TV channel that you don't receive, and it will STOP recording to the hard drive. That's a way of eliminating unwanted TiVo noise at night... and, likely, a way of testing the too much processing demand for the tasks. (By the way, if it were that, wouldn't Human DVD TiVos also show the same problem.)
Old 10-12-2005, 07:42 PM   #720
azitnay

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaccaMucca
I see your point, but there must be more processing power involved when actually storing and saving it longer term on the hard drive. I've seen it time to time where Toshiba gets sluggish scrolling throught the menus etc. when it is recording.
Can't see why there would be... The live TV buffer is MPEG-encoded (always at best quality), just like anything else, and stored on the hard drive in the live TV buffer.

Drew