TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Forum Extras > DVD TiVo Units (Archive)
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-30-2005, 11:26 AM   #661
larrs
Movie Fan-Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiresius
FWIW, I have the Toshiba RS-TX20, got the 7.x update several weeks ago and have not had any trouble burning disks since then.

For those of you having trouble, I wish you the best finding the answer - what a pain huh?

Cheers,
Ray
Yes, the media that worked a few days ago now fails without fail!

(1) Elite
(3) Premieres
(1) HD
(1) Mini
I run
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
with
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
larrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 11:31 AM   #662
larrs
Movie Fan-Addict

Information from Toshiba

I called the Toshiba Tivo support number (800-319-6684) and someone actually answered on the first ring. He also was aware of issues like I reported since the upgrade to 7.2 and said Toshiba was working with Tivo to alleviate the problem trhough an upgrade. He took all of my info and said I would get a call as soon as they determined what to do and a possible timeframe.

Now, they may never follow up, but if they fix the issue, I'll be happy. At least I was not on hold like I have been for the last 20 minutes with Tivo support!

If you are having an issue, I would recommend that you report it- the more that do, the faster they'll address it.

(1) Elite
(3) Premieres
(1) HD
(1) Mini
I run
with
and
Old 09-30-2005, 12:01 PM   #663
larrs
Movie Fan-Addict

Tivo chimes in

After 25 minutes on hold with Tivo, I got a tech who hadn't heard of any issues. However, since I had been on hold so long, she took the time to check with the software techs and she said they indicated they were aware of issues with some Toshiba units since the upgrade. She said that they are working with Toshiba and that it is apparently an issue with their (Toshiba's) burner software/firmware. She also indicated a fix would be forthcoming.

If you are not having problems, I can only surmise that it may be due to a different burner in your unit. There are often different burner models (even different production runs can be different) used in any DVD recorder series.

Welcome to the issues that these "multipurpose" products can have.

(1) Elite
(3) Premieres
(1) HD
(1) Mini
I run
with
and
Old 09-30-2005, 12:07 PM   #664
DarkShadows

Quote:
Of the people having trouble since the upgrade, are there any of you that have NOT changed media brands at all and are now having trouble using the same media you've used all along?
Like I stated earlier I am going to take back my last spindle of Sony DVD's even though i was 4 for4 last night with them and then pick up the Fuji 8x again.

If the Fujis start to fail then I will try the POWER DOWN.
DarkShadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 12:31 PM   #665
ber

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrs
After 25 minutes on hold with Tivo, I got a tech who hadn't heard of any issues. However, since I had been on hold so long, she took the time to check with the software techs and she said they indicated they were aware of issues with some Toshiba units since the upgrade. She said that they are working with Toshiba and that it is apparently an issue with their (Toshiba's) burner software/firmware. She also indicated a fix would be forthcoming.

If you are not having problems, I can only surmise that it may be due to a different burner in your unit. There are often different burner models (even different production runs can be different) used in any DVD recorder series.

Welcome to the issues that these "multipurpose" products can have.
LARRS thanks for following up with TIVO....obviously post any new info you get- as should others- when there is an interim update of software...i don't use TIVO to GO....so this upgrade obviously was just a hassle...my system before it started working again (ie, by shutting the system down for a nite)...messed up taping for me too! Missed the pilot for Veronica Mars...thankfully it is going to be rebroadcast SAT!.. If any of you with problems try the same solution i did (ie, shutting the machine down for the nite) let me know if it works...worked perfect for me....though i have no clue why....Thanks again
ber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 04:21 PM   #666
larrs
Movie Fan-Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ber
LARRS thanks for following up with TIVO....obviously post any new info you get- as should others- when there is an interim update of software...i don't use TIVO to GO....so this upgrade obviously was just a hassle...my system before it started working again (ie, by shutting the system down for a nite)...messed up taping for me too! Missed the pilot for Veronica Mars...thankfully it is going to be rebroadcast SAT!.. If any of you with problems try the same solution i did (ie, shutting the machine down for the nite) let me know if it works...worked perfect for me....though i have no clue why....Thanks again

Will do. I am going to try to shut down for the day tomorrow as I am off to a football game and it looks like not much is in the to do list for tomorrow. I'll post again Monday of that works...

Have a great weekend!

(1) Elite
(3) Premieres
(1) HD
(1) Mini
I run
with
and
Old 09-30-2005, 05:50 PM   #667
backspaces

Linksys WUSB12 Installed Beautifully!

Just a FYI: I sent for a Linksys WUSB12 a few days ago, got it 1/2 hr ago. It was recommended by TiVo customer support as easily compatible.

I plugged it into the back of the Toshiba, turned on the TV, got an immediate message on the screen saying it detected the new network device. Wow!

It steped me thru the setup by first asking if I would allow a firmware upgrade to the Linksys. Yup sez I. The rest was trivial .. just needed to know the name of my wireless network. The wireless accesspoint is a vanilla AirPort.

Now *that's* plug & play.
backspaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 12:26 PM   #668
DarkShadows

Quote:
I called the Toshiba Tivo support number (800-319-6684) and someone actually answered on the first ring. He also was aware of issues like I reported since the upgrade to 7.2 and said Toshiba was working with Tivo to alleviate the problem tnrough an upgrade. He took all of my info and said I would get a call as soon as they determined what to do and a possible timeframe.
Thanks for the phone number I just called and no kidding 2nd ring a girl picked up took all my information down.

If you call be sure to have the following info available:

Serial #
TIVO SERVICE#
DATE PURCHASED

I am off to the store now to exchange my Sony media for the previously fail proof Fuji's I have used in the past.

They are the Fuji colored discs that come in a 30 pack of 10 DVD's to a spindle, Staples has them through today for $9.00 I believe.
Old 10-01-2005, 12:55 PM   #669
TiVoEvan74

TiVo is now violating child labor laws? A "girl" answered??!! Perhaps you mean a woman... :-)
TiVoEvan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 01:06 PM   #670
DarkShadows

She may very well be a woman, but I kid you not this individual sounded like she was right off the "Yellow Brick Road".
Old 10-01-2005, 01:21 PM   #671
TiVoEvan74

We're not in Kansas anymore that's for sure!
Old 10-01-2005, 03:55 PM   #672
backspaces

DVD to HD?

A friend lent me a copy of a DVD a month ago and I still hadn't gotten around to watching it .. and I wanted to give it back to him.

Being new to my Toshiba/TiVo box, I thought I'd record the DVD to HD. So I popped it in and went to TiVo central.

But I couldn't figure out how to record it!

At first I thought it was a copy protection scheme. But I know its not a copywrite violation .. the TiVo doesn't allow recording back to DVD of the commercial media. So I presume there's no legal reason to not be able to time-shift my friend's movie. And naturally I could just rip/burn the main feature if I had to but I'm a bit uncomfortable with breaking the law. (Not too much however )

Could some kind soul point me to the "record a DVD to HD" area? Sorry for being so dense.
Old 10-01-2005, 04:31 PM   #673
TiVoEvan74

The little I know about this (which really is little) is that you could do this if you played the DVD on some other unit with its cables plugged into the front of the Toshiba box. Then it would go into Now Playing.

Otherwise, you're stuck. Plus, if it's a DVD of a commercial movie, it's probably copy protected and you shouldn't be making a copy anyway (as you allude to!).
Old 10-02-2005, 02:45 AM   #674
SystemJinx
(o_0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by backspaces
Could some kind soul point me to the "record a DVD to HD" area? Sorry for being so dense.
It's not possible to copy a DVD directly to a Tivo HD using the Tivo's internal DVD drive. (There may be a hack, but I don't know of one.) You should be able to hook up another dvd player to the Tivo using its composite inputs, but I've heard of people running into problems from the Macrovision flag that's included in the DVDs signal. You would need to buy a seperate box that will clear the signal and hook it up between the DVD player and the Tivo to remove the flag.
SystemJinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005, 10:55 AM   #675
CaccaMucca

[quote=DarkShadows]

I am off to the store now to exchange my Sony media for the previously fail proof Fuji's I have used in the past.

QUOTE]

I've never had problems with both Sony nor Fuji medias.
I ruined about 15 Fujis since the software upgrade.
CaccaMucca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005, 11:11 AM   #676
CaccaMucca

Angry

Quote:
I called the Toshiba Tivo support number (800-319-6684) and someone actually answered on the first ring. He also was aware of issues like I reported since the upgrade to 7.2 and said Toshiba was working with Tivo to alleviate the problem trhough an upgrade. He took all of my info and said I would get a call as soon as they determined what to do and a possible timeframe.

Now, they may never follow up, but if they fix the issue, I'll be happy. At least I was not on hold like I have been for the last 20 minutes with Tivo support!

If you are having an issue, I would recommend that you report it- the more that do, the faster they'll address it.

I called both TiVo and Toshiba on the matter.

TiVo help desk - states they've never heard of any issue wih the 7.2 software upgrade and told me to call Toshiba. As far as TiVo is concerned this is not their problem.

Toshiba help desk - clueless. Told me that I'm having a hardware problem.

Question, how are they going to get the software patch to us??? TiVo is not going to risk repairing a small number of Toshiba users and take some other, possibly larger, a group of users down by pushing the software through the net. Even though they've pushed 7.2 down our throat.
Old 10-02-2005, 11:17 AM   #677
TiVoEvan74

Are we talking DVD-Rs for the failure? Or are DVD-RWs also affected?
Old 10-02-2005, 11:19 AM   #678
backspaces

Quote:
Originally Posted by SystemJinx
It's not possible to copy a DVD directly to a Tivo HD using the Tivo's internal DVD drive. (There may be a hack, but I don't know of one.) You should be able to hook up another dvd player to the Tivo using its composite inputs, but I've heard of people running into problems from the Macrovision flag that's included in the DVDs signal. You would need to buy a seperate box that will clear the signal and hook it up between the DVD player and the Tivo to remove the flag.
Does anyone know why? It certainly is not against the law: the copy protection protocol used by TiVo for VCR seems quite sane: you can copy protected media to HD but it will not allow copying the material to the DVD. In this case, the DVD drive should be able to be used to copy the DVD to HD, marking it as protected, thus not able to be copied to the DVD via the internal burner.

This protocol seems really weird to me and indeed does push me toward breaking the law: I'll just rip/burn the borrowed DVD, thus creating an "illegal" instance of the movie.

I suppose the other solution is to buy a combo DVD/VCR and simply plug it into the Toshiba, and copy using the VCR/Camera copy technique. But wow, this is bizarre.

Last edited by backspaces : 10-02-2005 at 11:43 AM.
Old 10-02-2005, 11:27 AM   #679
aphexii

Hey guys,

Trying to help out a friend here and thought this would be the best place to ask.

He currently has a Sony kdf60xbr950 60" LCD RP HDTV and the Toshiba RS-TX20 via Component...

Unfortunately the video quality looks fairly bad, filed with grain and artifacts. All the options were adjusted, nothing seems to make a difference, looks almost like the video is being played from a VCR, not a DVR. Looks the same w/ both live tv and recorded programs...

They currently only recieve HDTV via OTA, and they are really only looking to record SD content...

The TV does a fairly good job showing SD content when hooked directly into cable, but when using the Tivo its pretty bad.

Anyone have any ideas?
aphexii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005, 01:37 PM   #680
Kracko

I puchased a RS-TX60 last Wednesday and burned two DVD's yesterday with no problems. I'm running 7.2 and while both DVDs were DVD-R one was a Verbatim and the other a Sony.

I'm just providing information in the event it helps you guys and Tivo solve the problem.
Old 10-02-2005, 01:55 PM   #681
Runch Machine

Time for an HD-DVR

Quote:
Originally Posted by aphexii
Hey guys,

Trying to help out a friend here and thought this would be the best place to ask.

He currently has a Sony kdf60xbr950 60" LCD RP HDTV and the Toshiba RS-TX20 via Component...

Unfortunately the video quality looks fairly bad, filed with grain and artifacts. All the options were adjusted, nothing seems to make a difference, looks almost like the video is being played from a VCR, not a DVR. Looks the same w/ both live tv and recorded programs...

They currently only recieve HDTV via OTA, and they are really only looking to record SD content...

The TV does a fairly good job showing SD content when hooked directly into cable, but when using the Tivo its pretty bad.

Anyone have any ideas?
I have the 70" version of the same TV. I am reasonably satisfied with the picture quality from the Toshiba RS-TX20. Perhaps the feed from your cable company into the Toshiba isn't very good. DVDs look great

If the PQ problem is only when the signal soruce is cable, and if DVDs look good, then the problem is most likely that the cable signal is weak.

They have a great TV that wasn't cheap. My recommendation would be to get an HD-DVR from the cable company, or, even better, switch to Directv and get an HD-Tivo. Prices have come way down and the quality is really excellent.

It doesn't make sense to me to spend lots of money on an HDTV and feed it a garbage signal.
DirecTV HR20 DVR with 1 terrabyte Drive inside.
Runch Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005, 06:08 PM   #682
aphexii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runch Machine
I have the 70" version of the same TV. I am reasonably satisfied with the picture quality from the Toshiba RS-TX20. Perhaps the feed from your cable company into the Toshiba isn't very good. DVDs look great

If the PQ problem is only when the signal soruce is cable, and if DVDs look good, then the problem is most likely that the cable signal is weak.

They have a great TV that wasn't cheap. My recommendation would be to get an HD-DVR from the cable company, or, even better, switch to Directv and get an HD-Tivo. Prices have come way down and the quality is really excellent.

It doesn't make sense to me to spend lots of money on an HDTV and feed it a garbage signal.
But why would the cable feed look fine going directly into the TV, only to get significantly worse when using the Toshiba?
aphexii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 09:28 AM   #683
azitnay

Quote:
Originally Posted by backspaces
Does anyone know why? It certainly is not against the law: the copy protection protocol used by TiVo for VCR seems quite sane: you can copy protected media to HD but it will not allow copying the material to the DVD. In this case, the DVD drive should be able to be used to copy the DVD to HD, marking it as protected, thus not able to be copied to the DVD via the internal burner.

This protocol seems really weird to me and indeed does push me toward breaking the law: I'll just rip/burn the borrowed DVD, thus creating an "illegal" instance of the movie.

I suppose the other solution is to buy a combo DVD/VCR and simply plug it into the Toshiba, and copy using the VCR/Camera copy technique. But wow, this is bizarre.
It would generally not as simple as copying files from the video DVD to the TiVo's hard drive.

This is simply a feature that these units don't support.

Drew
azitnay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 09:30 AM   #684
azitnay

Quote:
Originally Posted by aphexii
But why would the cable feed look fine going directly into the TV, only to get significantly worse when using the Toshiba?
The Toshiba is capturing and MPEG-encoding everything it receives before sending it on to the TV. Even at Best Quality, there is still going to be a decent of amount of quality loss.

Some people are simply more affected by this quality loss than others.

Drew
azitnay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 03:14 PM   #685
DarkShadows

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoEvan74
Are we talking DVD-Rs for the failure? Or are DVD-RWs also affected?

I have only used DVD-R's no RW's to this point.

To update my situation I purchased the Fuji DVD's again and the first four discs all failed at various points. 6%, 9% 94% 97%.

So I unplugged the machine for 30 minutes, mainly cause I had a show coming on I needed to record, after that point I have had 5 discs in a row that have burned properly, so I don't know what to think at this point.

Wait to hear back from Toshiba and see what they say, if this problem still is an issue and there is nothing they can do about it I will send back the unit.
Old 10-03-2005, 04:02 PM   #686
Tiresius

Hmm

Someone mentioned that the problem might be related to the DVD drive used in the unit. To my understanding it is indeed common for different drives to be used over time based on availability & updgrades. So, units purchased during a window of time are likely to have the same drive. Does anybody know how to check the drive brand/model without voiding warranty?

The two most likely possibilities I see for one unit to work while others don't are the media used, or the drive in the unit. Other than purchase date, I'm not sure how we might determine if the drive is likely to be different.

So, my unit's profile of these factors:
No burn problems with TX-20.
I purchased it in January of '05.
The only media I have used is TDK -R disks, one 25pc spool of 4x, and one 50pc spool of 8x.

Anybody out there with this profile that has had failures? If so, I guess my whole theory goes out the window.

Cheers,
Ray
Tiresius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 06:15 PM   #687
CaccaMucca

Quote:
Hmm

Someone mentioned that the problem might be related to the DVD drive used in the unit. To my understanding it is indeed common for different drives to be used over time based on availability & updgrades. So, units purchased during a window of time are likely to have the same drive. Does anybody know how to check the drive brand/model without voiding warranty?

The two most likely possibilities I see for one unit to work while others don't are the media used, or the drive in the unit. Other than purchase date, I'm not sure how we might determine if the drive is likely to be different.

The only media I have used is TDK -R disks, one 25pc spool of 4x, and one 50pc spool of 8x.

Anybody out there with this profile that has had failures? If so, I guess my whole theory goes out the window.

Cheers,
Ray
That would be me.
Purchased in January '05 and got my $100 rebate from Tivo.
No burn problem before the software upgrade.
I've reformatted my hard drive - started from scatch. Toshiba seems more responsive. No burn problem since, still have not tried to burn while my hard drive is recording. Will try that next.
Old 10-04-2005, 10:33 AM   #688
ber

Quote:
Hmm

Cheers,
Ray
My unit was purchased in Feb 05....as noted in my prior posts...no problems post upgrade until a week ago...then i had failure after failure...with Sony, TDK and Office Depot 8X discs....after shutting the unit down for the nite...everything has run perfect since...and i have burned numerous discs. It looks like shutting off the unit completely for a period of time (between 30 minutes to 8 hours) is apparently providing a solution....doesnt get to the heart of the problem however...and whether it will repeat
ber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 12:35 PM   #689
DarkShadows

After shutting mine down for about a half hour the other day I was able to burn numerous discs.

But then last night I tried and ended up with 6 coasters in a row all with the Fuji DVD-r's which had been working without a problem.

Still waiting to hear back from Toshiba I am right at that 90 day window on labor with the warranty so if they don't know of a fix then my unit will be going back soon.
Old 10-05-2005, 01:05 AM   #690
lssmit02

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelLI
Just got a Toshiba RX-TS20.
First, I want to network this into my Apple Extreme/Express network. Which network adapter is best, or doesn't it matter? Do I need to upgrade to 7.2 (I assume this is done by phone line) to use 54mbs "g" units (system shows v5.4). Will this work with Mac networks?
I have my RS-TX60 connected to my Mac network via an Apple Airport Express, connecting at 54mbs using WPA encryption. It works under both system 5.4 and 7.2.

Details: I have a Linksys USB200M USB-to-ethernet network adapter plugged into the USB port in the back of the Toshiba. I then run an ethernet cable from this adapter to the LAN ethernet port on the Airport Express. I have the Airport Express set up in WDS mode as a remote base station. I have wireless security set to WPA Personal, and a closed network. The Airport Express attached to the Toshiba connects to the Internet through my other Airport Express which is connected to the cable modem, two floors away. Note: I have the router connected to the Internet set to distribute IP addresses, too. This all works like a charm.

Good luck!
lssmit02 is offline   Reply With Quote