TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Forum Extras > DVD TiVo Units (Archive)
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-16-2005, 09:54 PM   #601
FrancesTheMute
Resident Nihilist

I've had my RS-TX60 for about 4 or 5 months now. loving every minute of it. Tivo rocks!!!
FrancesTheMute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 09:12 AM   #602
robbieree
NY,NY

just got a TX-RS20 for the house.
love it so far.

quick question...
anyone have a formula for how much content will fit on a DVD?
basic
medium
high
best
??

we did a burn of a news show that i like as a test, and at high.. only 1 hour fit.

thanks.

yeah i did search to no avail.
robbie
ny
robbieree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 09:43 AM   #603
azitnay

Was your test actually at best? I believe it works out like so:

basic - 6 hours
medium - 4 hours
high - 2 hours
best - 1 hour

If the news show was really high-quality, perhaps it was slightly longer than one hour?

Drew
azitnay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 09:47 AM   #604
robbieree
NY,NY

thanks for the reponse. and info.

yes - at best quality 1 hour of video took up 99% on DVD.
to clarify.. it fit, but i was concerned about the 1 hour limit.
i will go with your chart and give it a whirl.
robbieree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 01:41 PM   #605
windracer
joined the 10k club

I think the manual actually lists the breakdown of recording qualities to what will fit on a single DVD, but azitnay's list looks right to me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 02:42 PM   #606
ashu
User title defunct

I concur with the azitnay fellow. And the windracer fellow.

6, 4, 2, 1. I burn at the 4 and 2 settings often.

Although the names on the DVD recorders (for the recording qualities of shows to the hard disc) are not consistent with the standalones! So you *may* be right in saying that High is the same as Best. But I always thought they called it something else - like 'Extreme'. Gotta confirm tonight ...

(Too many TiVos!)

Ad hoc, ad loc, and quid pro quo!
So little time! So much to know!
ashu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 04:45 PM   #607
FishTank1701

Ditto to what Ashu, Windracer and Drew said. I typically record 2 hr Movies off premium channels in High, and they nicely fit onto a DVD. This info is actually displayed on the recording quality screen under the settings menu.

Premier XL - Wired Network (Ethernet)
no, I don't own an aquarium
FishTank1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 06:24 PM   #608
E072159

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancesTheMute
I've had my RS-TX60 for about 4 or 5 months now. loving every minute of it. Tivo rocks!!!
Francis,

Are you using a network adapter with your RS-TX60? If so what kind? Are you using the latest software 7.2.0? Any issues? I appreciate your feedback.
E072159 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 06:30 PM   #609
E072159

Could be happier RS-TX60 owner. I just tried to setup my TiVo on the network but have had poor results using a wireless WG111 adapter. I've owned my TiVo for 9 months now and love everything else. Just wish I could get the network connection working. I really don't want to hard wire to the network. My wireless is flawless everywhere else in my home.
E072159 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 08:44 AM   #610
azitnay

If you're dissatisfied with TiVo's wireless connectivity, you could always try an Ultimate Wireless Network setup.

Drew
Old 09-22-2005, 05:08 AM   #611
Bimwad

A small 7.2 enhancement

One little enhancement I discovered tonight with the 7.2 upgrade -- it now responds properly to a Tivo remote or a universal remote that is capable of sending the List command.

5.4 would acknowledge the button, beep/flash the LED but do nothing else, while 7.2 brings up the Now Playing list immediately. Nif-T.
Bimwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 10:36 PM   #612
FrancesTheMute
Resident Nihilist

Quote:
Originally Posted by E072159
Francis,

Are you using a network adapter with your RS-TX60? If so what kind? Are you using the latest software 7.2.0? Any issues? I appreciate your feedback.

Yes, I have the 7.2 update and I'm using a Linksys USB200M which is hooked into a Linksys WET54GS5 Wireless-g Bridge. i have no issues with the tivo calling home every night to get the programming guide, but I'm having a hell of a time using the Tivo Desktop to transfer shows. I can get shows transferred to my computer, but it's taking around 3-4 hours to transfer 1 hour of "high" quality, which is ridiculous.
Old 09-22-2005, 11:06 PM   #613
tunabeard
Tunabeard

Quote:
I just got mine about two weeks ago...I love it
Oops....I forgot to mention that I have a TX-20
tunabeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 11:10 PM   #614
backspaces

VCR Hookup w/ RS-TX

Just got my unit today, yea!

I noticed that there was no obvious discussion in the manual on how to hook up my VCR to the unit. I'll need this for a bit while I transfer my VHS tapes to DVDs. I know I need to buy a "signal cleaner" to do this but more important, it wasn't clear to my how I'd hook it up to the RS-TX and how I'd record the tape to HD for later burning.

I suspect this is a pretty dumb question .. but oh well.

Owen
backspaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 11:19 PM   #615
tunabeard
Tunabeard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desperado
Thanks for the reply, LiveBlues.

Sounds like the TiVo Basic that comes with the Toshiba isn't really that much of an added value, since you pretty much need the TiVo Plus to really benefit from its features. The wireless setup seems kinda tricky from what I've read, so I'm not sure I'd want to try it.

Can I ask where you bought yours? The cheapest online seller I could find lists it for about $520. Walmart has them on their website for $598, but that's pretty high, and they're not in stock at my local store.

Thanks again!

I'm pretty much new to the forums here (I just signed on this evening for the first time). I have the TX-20 and right now I'm using TiVo Basic. Could someone who's had TiVo Basic and now has TiVo Plus, tell me what they liked now that they did the upgrade.
Old 09-22-2005, 11:23 PM   #616
FrancesTheMute
Resident Nihilist

I've never used tivo basic, but i know that I couldn't live without the Season Pass. When i first got my tivo, i was going to school 5 nights a week from 5 pm to 10 pm, so that would mean i would miss every show that i like to watch. season pass was a godsend and allowed me to get caught up on my shows on the weekends!!!
Old 09-23-2005, 12:26 AM   #617
tunabeard
Tunabeard

Quote:
I've never used tivo basic, but i know that I couldn't live without the Season Pass. When i first got my tivo, i was going to school 5 nights a week from 5 pm to 10 pm, so that would mean i would miss every show that i like to watch. season pass was a godsend and allowed me to get caught up on my shows on the weekends!!!

Thanks...I'll have to keep that in mind. I like the trial offer and I'm kinda hooked on "Season Pass" function already.
Old 09-23-2005, 07:05 AM   #618
windracer
joined the 10k club

Quote:
Originally Posted by backspaces
I noticed that there was no obvious discussion in the manual on how to hook up my VCR to the unit. I'll need this for a bit while I transfer my VHS tapes to DVDs. I know I need to buy a "signal cleaner" to do this but more important, it wasn't clear to my how I'd hook it up to the RS-TX and how I'd record the tape to HD for later burning.
It's pretty straightforward. There are composite input jacks on the rear and front of the DMS. Just connect the outs from your VCR to one of those ins. Then, under "Pick Programs to Record" there's a "Record from Camcorder or VCR" option and the software will walk you through the steps (get the source tape to where you want to start, select the length of the recording, press play on the source VCR, press Select on the TiVo to start the recording, and let it go). Once the recording is done, it will show up on your Now Playing List like any other show and you can burn it to DVD from there.

I can't comment on the signal cleaner. I didn't use one, I just understood that my VHS quality was already poor, so I was only moving it to DVD for archival purposes and not to make it look any better.

|
Old 09-23-2005, 07:08 AM   #619
windracer
joined the 10k club

Quote:
Originally Posted by tunabeard
Could someone who's had TiVo Basic and now has TiVo Plus, tell me what they liked now that they did the upgrade.
The DMS was my third TiVo, so I was already hooked on TiVo Plus (since that's all the normal standalone Series2 boxes will operate with). I did try TiVo Basic for a day or two when I first got the Toshiba to see if I could get away without paying another $6.95/month, but once I realized there was no Season Pass/WishList functionality, no sort options in the NPL, and no easy way to browse for recordings by title, channel, etc. I upgraded to Plus immediately.

If you just want a smarter version of a VCR that happens to record to a hard drive instead of tape, stick to Basic (you get the three days of Guide data, but you'll still have to remember to schedule recordings each week). If you really want to see the power of TiVo, try the 45-day free trial of Plus and you won't want to go back.

|
Old 09-23-2005, 07:19 AM   #620
FishTank1701

Quote:
Originally Posted by windracer
(you get the three days of Guide data, but you'll still have to remember to schedule recordings each week)
Not sure you're correct about that one. Like you, I dumped Basic for Plus pretty quickly, but I seem to recall that even basic had the ability to set a weekly recording for the same time and channel, just like any VCR. TiVo Basic may be crippled, but not THAT crippled.

Like Windracer said though, try the 45 day free plus trial. Once you've had some fun with TiVoPlus, you'll never go back.
Premier XL - Wired Network (Ethernet)
no, I don't own an aquarium
FishTank1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005, 08:39 AM   #621
azitnay

Yes, Basic lets you do a weekly manual record (and probably daily too, I don't remember for sure)... But that's no comparison to an actual season pass, of course.

Drew
Old 09-23-2005, 10:16 AM   #622
windracer
joined the 10k club

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishTank1701
Not sure you're correct about that one. Like you, I dumped Basic for Plus pretty quickly, but I seem to recall that even basic had the ability to set a weekly recording for the same time and channel, just like any VCR. TiVo Basic may be crippled, but not THAT crippled.
You're right ... just like a VCR you can still schedule manual weekly recordings. I should have been more clear, thanks.

|
Old 09-23-2005, 03:50 PM   #623
ashu
User title defunct

Quote:
there was no Season Pass/WishList functionality, no sort options in the NPL, and no easy way to browse for recordings by title, channel, etc. I upgraded to Plus immediately.
Don't forget - the absolute and total inability to transfer shows via the network to a PC or another TiVo. Yes, you could burn to DVD, but the point of transfers is to watch it on the device (TiVo/PC/cellphone) of your choice in the location of your choice.

Quote:
If you really want to see the power of TiVo, try the 45-day free trial of Plus and you won't want to go back.
And don't forget that even the 45-day trial only allows for the recording/searching enhancements - the only way to get the transfers going is to pay for Plus. Worth every single penny

And for all the new folks getting TiVos with the $150 rebate, remember that you HAVE TO sign up for a year (in fact you have to prepay, too) to be eligible for the rebate.

(Too many TiVos!)

Ad hoc, ad loc, and quid pro quo!
So little time! So much to know!
ashu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005, 10:34 PM   #624
tulipox

I am a brand new RS-TX60 owner and I love it! However, I'm having a problem....I am trying to transfer a home movie from my JVC video camera without success. I've connected the camera to the Toshiba via firewire and gone through all the screens to get to the point of recording, but I only get a blue screen on the TV (not on the camera screen). I connected via standard RCA plug cable and it works fine, so the problem is DV/firewire connection specific.

Anyone ever had this problem?!? I really don't think it's user error!! Is the JVC camera compatible??

Last edited by tulipox : 09-24-2005 at 12:08 AM.
tulipox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005, 11:15 PM   #625
azitnay

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashu
(in fact you have to prepay, too)
You sure? I know there's a $150 ETF for a cancellation prior to one year now, which is equivalent to the rebate, but I was under the impression that you could still pay monthly.

Drew
Old 09-24-2005, 03:19 PM   #626
Mike_B42
RS-TX20 Owner

Toshiba issues with the 7.2 Software Upgrade?

Several weeks ago, I applied for and received the TiVo 7.2 software upgrade for my RS-TX20 (original-unmodified). 7.2 includes some great new features, but related or not, the problems that I've had since then outweigh the benefits. Anyone else having similar difficulties?

1. Freezing of the program, live or recoreded; while the cable feed is perfect
2. Much slower response from the TiVo button, as well as FF & RW
3. Occassional complete freezes requiring a 'pull the plug' reboot

Thanks in advance. I'm just looking for a trend.
Mike_B42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2005, 07:30 PM   #627
rrman

I haven't had any problems with Tivo 7.2 on my RS-TX20.
rrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2005, 09:36 PM   #628
azitnay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_B42
1. Freezing of the program, live or recoreded; while the cable feed is perfect
2. Much slower response from the TiVo button, as well as FF & RW
3. Occassional complete freezes requiring a 'pull the plug' reboot
Could be signs of a failing hard drive.

Drew
Old 09-24-2005, 10:44 PM   #629
FrancesTheMute
Resident Nihilist

I've never had the first problem you've described or the 3rd, but the 2nd one has been sorta happening to me. i hit the tivo button and it will take a couple of seconds before i get to tivo central, and sometimes the FF and RW are a little sluggish. But not all the time, just sometimes, so i've just been assuming it's busy doing something in the background like recording or transferring or something. I sure hope my HDD is failing, i've had the tivo only 7 months!!!!
Old 09-24-2005, 11:38 PM   #630
backspaces

Failed 45-day trial

Just set up my new RS-TX60, and had a surprise. I asked for the 45-day trial of Plus. But rather than the count-down being set to 45, it was set to 5!

Has anyone else had difficulties with this?

TiVo thought it might have been due to Amazon (from whom I bought the critter) having sent me a refurbished model, but that seems odd .. the box and contents absolutely seemed brand new.

I suggested to amazon that they simply credit my account by the amount of the 45-day trial .. which they are doing. So I'll just sign up for Plus using their rebate to hedge the 45 days.

But still, it seems really odd.

Owen
backspaces is offline   Reply With Quote